smw centralpge projectmario fan games galaxy

Fixed and Translated hacks

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
Shiny Ninetales

Re: Fixed and Translated hacks

Postby Shiny Ninetales » 1 month ago

omg I don't know how I managed to miss ASPE translation, will try it ASAP!

thanks once again for keep doing God's work

Skye
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Skye » 1 month ago

Excellent work on the S Mario translation, as usual.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.
Contact me: aoi#0041

This Eye o' Mine
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good

Postby This Eye o' Mine » 3 weeks ago

UPDATE:
SMW YEAH!! translated.
Go and get it.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast
First name: David
Pronouns: he/him

Postby KobaBeach » 3 weeks ago

totally super mario world イ゙ェアアアア

Skye

Postby Skye » 3 weeks ago

:D Awesome

Skye

Postby Skye » 2 weeks ago

After playing all the way through, I noticed some (possible) spelling/grammar/miscellaneous issues with the SMW Yeah translation.

The first message box in Moving Floors, Moving Faces.
It should say "I don't exactly think you need me to explain what they do."
The message box in Yoshi's House.
It should say "painstakingly" instead of "painstackingly" and "I've got to get them back!" instead of "I've got to have them back!"
The translation note for Daybreak Miso Soup.
It should say "Its main ingredients, tofu blocks and seaweed, make up the elements that theme the miso soup levels." instead of "Its main ingredients of tofu blocks and seaweed make up the elements that theme the miso soup levels."
I don't know how it looked in the original, but in the translation, the 5up text looks like a garbled mess.
The castle destruction message for Icky-Slicky Castle has a spelling error.
"Speck" instead of "spec".
Also, no mention of the Penrose triangle and the impossible trident in a note for "The World's Reverse Side"?

Also #2, pausing in levels with an echo kills the echo.

Sorry if I'm incorrect about any of the potential mistakes I pointed out in this post.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast
First name: David
Pronouns: he/him

Postby KobaBeach » 2 weeks ago

To be fair, Eye is like, Dutch, so it might just be things that slipped by her at the time, or maybe she wrote it all rushed like?
Anyway the 5UP is meant to be garbled, it's even like that in the vanilla game, I think.

How do you beat these so fast fuck

This Eye o' Mine
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good

Postby This Eye o' Mine » 2 weeks ago

Sorry about the late reply, I've been a bit preoccupied the last couple days.
Notes about Skye's observations:
You're entirely right about the spelling mistakes of course. I guess I always read so quickly that I miss stuff like that. 'Spec' might be because I use that word as meaning 'specification' a lot, but 'painstackingly' is just plain wrong. I think I'll be using a spellchecker rather than writing stuff directly into the ROM from now on.

The thing about the optical illusion line guides is another thing that I must've not registered as needing a note when I was playing. I even remember being impressed by them.

I would contest that 'got to have them back' is valid if a bit colloquial, and in my mind it expresses the idea of having somebody else retrieve them better than 'got to get them' which sounds like the speaker is going to find them himself. I've been influenced a lot by UK dialects, so perhaps it's a regional thing? The other two grammar things I have no problem changing if they're found to play too fast and loose with word order and punctuation.

And yeah, like KobaBeach said the 5-UP looks like a garbled mess even in the original Japanese, in pretty much the same way.

Thanks for taking the time again.
On another note, we'll probably be taking a break from this stuff for the holidays at least. In the mean time, since we now have some more means to check references, which has already thrown some culture notes into a bit of doubt, we might spend some time in the near future looking over past translations for mistakes, working through the list of errata, and just generally updating the patch process of older uploads to the new system for consistency.

Skye

Postby Skye » 2 weeks ago

KobaBeach wrote: How do you beat these so fast fuck
I have an unhealthy obsession with SMW hacks.
This Eye o' Mine wrote: Sorry about the late reply, I've been a bit preoccupied the last couple days.
Notes about Skye's observations:
You're entirely right about the spelling mistakes of course. I guess I always read so quickly that I miss stuff like that. 'Spec' might be because I use that word as meaning 'specification' a lot, but 'painstackingly' is just plain wrong. I think I'll be using a spellchecker rather than writing stuff directly into the ROM from now on.

The thing about the optical illusion line guides is another thing that I must've not registered as needing a note when I was playing. I even remember being impressed by them.

I would contest that 'got to have them back' is valid if a bit colloquial, and in my mind it expresses the idea of having somebody else retrieve them better than 'got to get them' which sounds like the speaker is going to find them himself. I've been influenced a lot by UK dialects, so perhaps it's a regional thing? The other two grammar things I have no problem changing if they're found to play too fast and loose with word order and punctuation.

And yeah, like KobaBeach said the 5-UP looks like a garbled mess even in the original Japanese, in pretty much the same way.

Thanks for taking the time again.
On another note, we'll probably be taking a break from this stuff for the holidays at least. In the mean time, since we now have some more means to check references, which has already thrown some culture notes into a bit of doubt, we might spend some time in the near future looking over past translations for mistakes, working through the list of errata, and just generally updating the patch process of older uploads to the new system for consistency.
No worries about not replying instantly, it's nothing to be sorry about.
I will say that "got to have them back" is definitely a colloquial UK phrase.
Also, I was hesitating on mentioning this at first because I wasn't sure if it was important enough to bring up, and I didn't want to be bothersome, but in addition to the fact that pausing kills the echo in some of the music ports used in the hack, some of the ports used have an issue that only shows up in pre-AMK ports being used in modern hacks. Basically, the issue is that the SFX will play on the same audio channels used for the music, causing parts of the music to be interrupted whenever a sound effect plays. Since this only affects modern hacks that use old ports that weren't updated to be compatible with AMK, this would not have been a problem in the original version of the hack. (Hopefully I didn't write something incorrect here, the explanation's kind of convoluted, oops.)
It might be worth it to check to see if this happens in any of the other translations/fixes.

Since you mentioned potentially updating older translations, I'll let y'all know if I spot any errors or possible additions when playing them.

Return to “project showcase”