(shouting)

An SMWCentral Production: A game about some eggs

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
S.N.N.

Re: An SMWCentral Production: A game about some eggs

Post by S.N.N. »

KK: I'm not really sure why you'd use a quote that was directed at the idea of using bonus games/in-jokes. That's quite a lot different than overall level quality (which, if the user "goes their own way" and produces a pile of shit, it won't be accepted). Furthermore, SMWCP, as stated several times, went through several leaders. It was extremely disorganized from day 1 until people started caring about it by the end. Now that we have a steady start on the second one, I fully believe the hack will take a 180 degree turn.

There are good levels in SMWCP made by good hackers. There are also bad levels made by good hackers who want to show off what they can do a little too much. Much like A2MT, leniency won't be all that popular in SMWCP2.
my picture is based on what i read and hear.
You should never base opinions or facts off of what you hear, at least. Bias is a powerful tool, especially on the Internet.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Test Pilot Monkey wrote:
DancingMad wrote:Essentially, your lives are infinite, so what's the point?

What if everybody had an infinite amount of money? It would be worthless. Just like lives are.
You still have to work for lives. Like money.

Essentially, your money is infinite. If you wait long enough.

Even with a life farming area, you have to be bothered to go back there. Like a job.
Exactly. Life farming is simply grinding and I have no patience for that. Fortunately I can enable the Infinite Lives game genie cheat, so the tradionalists can have their lives system and I don't have to waste my time doing something I hate. Win/Win.
Kleiner Kokiri

Post by Kleiner Kokiri »

S.N.N. wrote:KK: I'm not really sure why you'd use a quote that was directed at the idea of using bonus games/in-jokes.
I thought it was focused on the Bonus Game ~ put the in game jokes aside.
And your post here indicates that you did not quite understand what i meant.
That's quite a lot different than overall level quality (which, if the user "goes their own way" and produces a pile of shit, it won't be accepted).
My whole point was not the level quality but this:
It's hard to make a big jump from this point to a point where a few people would make big decisions that affect every level greatly in the next game. That's like turning around 180°, and it's only natural that a lot of people would be bothered by that and complain or trying to avoid it.
And yes ... the Bonus Game discussion is the perfect hanger on this. I was talking about features and original content that would be forced on every level (like having no 1-ups). I have no doubt that you are able to force a certain quality on the contributors. Because this is something no contributor can argue about !
(though, maybe different people have different opinions an what "quality" is).
Last edited by Kleiner Kokiri 13 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
joeyjoejoejrshabbadu

Post by joeyjoejoejrshabbadu »

Kleiner Kokiri wrote:I still use the same system with a PS2 Controller and an USB-adapter for the PC but ... when i first used it, it felt like there was delay.
I get that too but I just thought it was because of the emulator or something...if it's caused by that controller setup then nobody should be using it, at least not for Mario :/
A top secret document has been left behind the floor!
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Ah, then yes, I did misunderstand you. Perhaps I'll blame the alcohol as well.

Regardless, most people have spoken up against big global changes such as that, and as such, said changes won't happen. That's actually a large reason why lives were kept. With big changes like that, it's really an "all or nothing" deal (as in, we need unanimous agreement). You are correct in that imposing things like that on people would cause controversy, so I guess the only thing we can do is try to avoid it.

Eh. Either way, what matters now is ensuring the same mistakes aren't repeated, and to me, that is more important than a lives/no lives discussion.

e: video related note .. raocow should go check out where that coin trail leads in Peaks to Puffs. It's nothing extravagant, but it's a nice little easter egg.
Dollop of Mayo

Post by Dollop of Mayo »

Test Pilot Monkey wrote:
DancingMad wrote:Essentially, your lives are infinite, so what's the point?

What if everybody had an infinite amount of money? It would be worthless. Just like lives are.
You still have to work for lives. Like money.

Essentially, your money is infinite. If you wait long enough.

Even with a life farming area, you have to be bothered to go back there. Like a job.
That's just it. It's WORK. Not PLAY. Pointless tedium in a game makes it less fun. Games are about fun. Right? I didn't get a memo where this had changed.

Okay sure if I have an infinite amount of time my money is infinite but I don't so I don't get where you're going with that because nobody has infinite time and... what?

I don't know if you're for or against lives at this point. You're saying you have to work for lives but how is that good? Why should I go back and do something tedious instead of going forward in the game? How is stalling gameplay ever a good idea?

But I guess if you like that sort of thing then go for it and I'll just use save states or as The Doctor mentioned, an infinite lives code.
The nature of the signature is significant and natural.
http://dollopofmayo.tumblr.com/ - I put comics here because they demand it.
LightSlei

Post by LightSlei »

Isn't this whole debate rather silly?

I mean since there is already an option for you to nullify the purpose of lives WHY DO YOU CARE IF THE GAME HAS LIVES OR NOT?

Just the way I see it.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

If you think the debate here is bad, you'd cry reading the thread about it in the SMWCP2 forum.
anomaly

Post by anomaly »

Please, next major hack you play or make (A2MT, Vip5, w/e), just get rid of lives altogether.
Last edited by anomaly 13 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
kilon

Post by kilon »

anomaly wrote:Please, next major hack you play or make (A2MT, Vip5, w/e), just get rid of lives altogether.
not happening
anomaly

Post by anomaly »

You want a game without lives? VVVVVV. Just try and try until you get it. No need to worry about any extraneous factor.

Your goal as a let's player is to just play the game and accomplish your goal. Why have a pointless impedement?
Cup

Post by Cup »

Yahtzee on Minecraft wrote:"But then again, part of the appeal of [playing] is the effort required to gather [lives]. That 80ft golden [strike]cock n balls[/strike] [save prompt] wouldn't be so satisfyingly tordant if it weren't for the entire continent you need to turn upside down to find all the [lives]. ...If you could just clap you hands and find fifty barrels of [lives] laying around, then the spectacle is about as fulfilling as eating your own snot. [SMWCP2] is a responsible parent. It know's you'll get bored of your golden [save prompt] if it just gives you one, so it gives you five dollars a week to wash its car so you can gain an appreciation for value and when you finally have your golden cock n balls, you'll love it all the more."
DancingMad wrote:There are days I wish I was a nubile attractive nerdy female so that I could have Yahtzee's perfect children.
Alright, different game/situation and all that, but still, you gotta give it some credit as a pretty eloquent rebuttal to your argument.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

jesus people we are not having this debate here.

I like having lives even if I go and farm when I can, because 'getting' a life in an unexpected way is fun. Some people agree, some people don't. Nobody here will convince anyone on the other camp.

Peace?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Cup: Thanks for reminding me that I still haven't watched this week's Yahtzee!

See, these are the exact arguments people made when the idea of removing lives was brought up in the first place, and the thing is, they're valid points. Some people simply think that a lives system is a stupid waste of time, while others feel it gives a sense of accomplishment. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that just keeping them would be best, since people who really dislike them will just use save states/an infinite lives code anyway.

Oh well. The next "trilogy" of collabs (A2MT, SMWCP2, VIP5) will be keeping them it seems. Maybe this topic will be brought up again when the next set of collab hacks is reached. Heh.
Last edited by S.N.N. 13 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
anomaly

Post by anomaly »

DJSecret wrote:
DancingMad wrote:That's just it. It's WORK. Not PLAY. Pointless tedium in a game makes it less fun. Games are about fun. Right? I didn't get a memo where this had changed.
DancingMad wrote:I'll just use save states
DancingMad wrote:I don't know if you're for or against lives at this point.
For them.
DancingMad wrote:You're saying you have to work for lives but how is that good? Why should I go back and do something tedious instead of going forward in the game? How is stalling gameplay ever a good idea?
Because some people get satisfaction out of earning their victories.
anomaly wrote:Please, next major hack you play or make (A2MT, Vip5, w/e), just get rid of lives altogether.
Make a hack and do it yourself. SMWCP2 isn't, nor VIP5, nor A2MT.
Cup wrote:tl;dr
Perfect example. It's rewarding to try and do something without the game basically giving you the victory (even though it's still difficult in the long run).
anomaly wrote:Your goal as a let's player is to just play the game and accomplish your goal. Why have a pointless impedement?
Because it's not entertaining to breeze through the game without struggle. Do you think Super Mario Bros. (or any other game with lives) would be any fun if there wasn't lives? Would a game like Call of Duty be fun if you couldn't die? Would there be a point to EXISTING if you couldn't die (too far?).
First of all, don't compare Call of Duty to this, because having a life bar is vastly different from having lives. In Mario, you have 1-3 hits before you die, and the level resets.

Not having lives doesn't cut the struggle in any way, because you still have to beat the level and then make a video and post it on Youtube.

I'm not saying extra lives, but the very idea of lives. Replace it with the Demo counter instead. At least that's a permanent statistic and not something that becomes null after a few seconds of farming.
GauRocks

Post by GauRocks »

Today's death montages were hilarious, and I would like to give all the credit to cyclops raocow.
Dollop of Mayo

Post by Dollop of Mayo »

raocow wrote:jesus people we are not having this debate here.

I like having lives even if I go and farm when I can, because 'getting' a life in an unexpected way is fun. Some people agree, some people don't. Nobody here will convince anyone on the other camp.

Peace?
To be honest I'm not even having a debate about lives specifically HOWEVER I will drop this now because you're right, it's basically pointless.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

DJSecret wrote:Now please, end this argument. It's getting out of hand.
Oh that's so mature, responding to all the arguments then saying to end it. It doesn't work that way DJ. :lol:
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Kleiner Kokiri

Post by Kleiner Kokiri »

raocow wrote: I like having lives even if I go and farm when I can, because 'getting' a life in an unexpected way is fun. Some people agree, some people don't. Nobody here will convince anyone on the other camp.
Peace?
Let's just say it is pointless now to argue about having lifes / not having lifes.
Even so, you'd want to have a life system that works the best, right ?

But you might be right, it's a bit heated up here. And as far as i know it's been already decided anyways.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

DJSecret wrote:I responded to the argument, got my opinion out, and now raocow is annoyed, so I'm stopping.
No, actually, you responded to the argument to get the last word. Then you declared the argument over. :P raocow got annoyed before you posted your official "end argument" statement.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Umm... wow.
I like lives because they are little bonuses hidden in levels. Who wants coins for exploring? No one cares about coins.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

You just did it again.
"No, I'm right. Last word. End of discussion."

You should work on that. :lol:
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Dollop of Mayo

Post by Dollop of Mayo »

I vote this thread be locked and put up in a museum in the "historical disasters to learn from" section and a new, fresh, lemon-scented thread be opened. This thread is looking a lot like Courtney Love about now, and I will admit that quite a lot of the needles that've been stuck into the poor old broad were my fault.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

What? This thread is fine, I don't see why it should be locked at all.
Sure, it had some crap afew pages ago but isn't that resolved?
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

DancingMad wrote:I vote this thread be locked and put up in a museum in the "historical disasters to learn from" section and a new, fresh, lemon-scented thread be opened. This thread is looking a lot like Courtney Love about now, and I will admit that quite a lot of the needles that've been stuck into the poor old broad were my fault.
You think this was bad? I don't think you've seen ANYTHING yet.

Just think of some of the discussion Bunny/Chelsea spawned. This was just a friendly discussion, there weren't even names called. Like "you creepy pedophile fuck get the fuck out of this forum".

Simon