(shouting)

Youtube settings

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Youtube settings

Post by Xirix »

I've had to get a new computer, I've just finished installing everything and it would seem youtube's changed the way it sorts videos slightly?

My raocow bookmark went to a thumbnail view of all his uploads, by date added, the newest video would be on the top left. Now it seems to default to date added, but oldest first. And if I click date added to make it the other way around, refreshing the page changes it back.

Is there a way to make my preference Date added decending, or is this just another wonderful 'change for the better' by youtube?
Aposke
Banned

Re: Youtube settings

Post by Aposke »

Youtube basically changes shit all the time, so yeah.
It's a lost case really.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Haha things change so I hate them because change scares me!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this is a bug, unless someone can show me some update log somewhere that says otherwise. Other than that...Have fun clicking that "Date Added" button like the rest of us. :P
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
BTYM

Post by BTYM »

The YouTube staff are a bunch of annoying pricks. Get used to it.
ImageImage
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Cry more. :)
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Kadj

Post by Kadj »

AUS wrote:Haha things change so I hate them because change scares me!
We fear change...
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag
First name: beatboxingboo

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

speaking of youtube staff being pricks, looks like they changed the youtube layout AGAIN
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

You'd think we'd be used to it by now.
Last edited by Daarkbuu 13 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

yeah, this new layout blows
That crazy voice dude
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Daarkbuu wrote:You'd think we'd be used to it by now.
You can't ever be used to change. WE MUST FEAR AND DESTROY IT BLARGH
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Dollop of Mayo

Post by Dollop of Mayo »

Change can be good.

Youtube just changes things for the sake of changing them it seems. It's usually neither good nor bad change. Just... change. I imagine their site designers have severe ADHD.
The nature of the signature is significant and natural.
http://dollopofmayo.tumblr.com/ - I put comics here because they demand it.
Kadj

Post by Kadj »

I think part of the problem now is a result of Google acquiring them. Google in charge of anything usually means a lot of really idiotic changes.
Dollop of Mayo

Post by Dollop of Mayo »

Really? 'coz my gmail hasn't changed in years. Other than the spam filter getting better and the available space growing.

I haven't noticed a trend of wanton, needless changes from Google itself. I'm still willing to blame the specific entities that have been left in charge of YouTube.
Kadj

Post by Kadj »

I might be misremembering since I can't actually pull any examples to the front of my mind, but for some reason Google changing things they acquire just doesn't seem new to me. They usually keep their own stuff pretty same-y though, yeah.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I don't know. I think most of the recent changes have been better for Youtube. Granted, maybe not having a ton of subscriptions (or any for that matter) helps things out.
ZMann

Post by ZMann »

I, for one, like this most recent change done by YouTube. The front page is more organized, and that makes me happy. :D

Really, if you think about it, it doesn't take long to get used to minor changes, like a new site layout. I'm sure most everyone will end up being okay with YouTube's new layout before long.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

ZMann wrote:I, for one, like this most recent change done by YouTube. The front page is more organized, and that makes me happy. :D

Really, if you think about it, it doesn't take long to get used to minor changes, like a new site layout. I'm sure most everyone will end up being okay with YouTube's new layout before long.
But youtube is evil! Updates are bad! Grrah!
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
kilon

Post by kilon »

What the hell are you talking about?
First we had a nice little box for our subscription videos. Now it's spread out in a pointlessly long list.

First we had a small box with recommended videos. They where pointless most of the time, but when you are bored, at times it could lead to some funny videos. Now we just got the most viewed video in each category which is crap 99999/100000 times. I don't give a fuck about those. Aside from the fact that you can find those videos as well by just clicking the browse button.
Dollop of Mayo

Post by Dollop of Mayo »

Updates are bad when updates are bad.

The change where you could record videos longer than 10 min without being a partner was certainly welcome. Nobody bitched about that one. It was an update. A GOOD update.

If there was an update to make videos load faster or look better nobody would complain about that I'd wager.

But instead we get pointless front page tweaks every six months as the lion's share of our updates.
Kadj

Post by Kadj »

kilon wrote:First we had a small box with recommended videos. They where pointless most of the time, but when you are bored, at times it could lead to some funny videos. Now we just got the most viewed video in each category which is crap 99999/100000 times. I don't give a fuck about those. Aside from the fact that you can find those videos as well by just clicking the browse button.
I'd like to make the small correction that we do still have the recommended videos section, but it is half its original size and is bumped around by the constantly-shifting list of our subscriptions' uploads and favorites. The Most Popular section is now not only MUCH larger, but it has a lot more video details and is always found at the bottom.

Furthermore, there's actually less "organization" here since we can't manually arrange anything. It's utter chaos, and an eyesore to boot.

There's updates and then there's bad updates. Bad updates happen when all the people who get paid by the ad revenue and whatnot decide not to work and instead implement countless aesthetic changes. They usually do this when they know they pretty much have a monopoly and can do whatever the hell they want without really losing enough customers for there to be any risk involved.

This front page is all about promoting the people that earn them the most money. This is why the seemingly random Recommended Videos section is practically invisible and largely inaccessible - it helps indie Youtubers too much.
kilon

Post by kilon »

Kadj wrote:I'd like to make the small correction that we do still have the recommended videos section, but it is half its original size and is bumped around by the constantly-shifting list of our subscriptions' uploads and favorites. The Most Popular section is now not only MUCH larger, but it has a lot more video details and is always found at the bottom.
Oh yeah, it's in the tab including all the other crap I don't care about. O just want the subscription videos (the second tab) and not all the videos that random people (yes, I'm not even subscribed to half of them) like.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

kilon wrote:Now we just got the most viewed video in each category which is crap 99999/100000 times.
Right. That makes perfect sense. The most viewed videos on youtube are crap. I guess most of the people on youtube are crap. I guess you're crap. Why don't you watch those videos? They were made for you.
kilon wrote:Oh yeah, it's in the tab including all the other crap I don't care about. O just want the subscription videos (the second tab) and not all the videos that random people (yes, I'm not even subscribed to half of them) like.
Oh gee you're so observant. Click the button labled "Subscription Uploads" instead of "All Activity" and stop blaming youtube for your own problems.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
kilon

Post by kilon »

AUS wrote:
kilon wrote:Now we just got the most viewed video in each category which is crap 99999/100000 times.
Right. That makes perfect sense. The most viewed videos on youtube are crap. I guess most of the people on youtube are crap. I guess you're crap. Why don't you watch those videos? They were made for you.
No they aren't. Why should I care for some motherfucker dressed as Lady gaga, some bieber bullshit or pointless overdone vlogs?
kilon wrote:Oh yeah, it's in the tab including all the other crap I don't care about. O just want the subscription videos (the second tab) and not all the videos that random people (yes, I'm not even subscribed to half of them) like
Oh gee you're so observant. Click the button labled "Subscription Uploads" instead of "All Activity" and stop blaming youtube for your own problems.
I know. That's why I said "I just want the subscription videos (the second tab)". But that doesn't give videos recommended for me. Which can be pretty funny when bored.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

kilon wrote:
AUS wrote:
No they aren't. Why should I care for some motherfucker dressed as Lady gaga, some bieber bullshit or pointless overdone vlogs?
You're the one giving negative adjectives I think, if you see the videos, that those are not actually titles.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

AUS wrote:
kilon wrote: No they aren't. Why should I care for some motherfucker dressed as Lady gaga, some bieber bullshit or pointless overdone vlogs?
You're the one giving negative adjectives I think, if you see the videos, that those are not actually titles.
1. Shane Dawson.
2. Dubstep.
3. Mortal- oops, sorry, I meant, MORTAL KOMBAT KITTY
4. Paranormality illusion (in the section Education. You're shitting me.)

Of course they are not in the titles, what bothers people like me and Kilon is the fact that their CONTENT is just so redundant and that those overpopularized videos are forced onto every user even more by all the new changes that have happened recently.
Now they've even moved the subscription videos into a seperate, SECONDARY bar. To me, that looks like phasing out "average user content" and turning Youtube into a platform where the popular people stay popular, and the unknown users stay unknown.