(shouting)

An SMWCentral Production: A game about some eggs

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
RobinLSL

Re: An SMWCentral Production: A game about some eggs

Post by RobinLSL »

I was really really impressed by what we've seen so far. I'm really expecting an awesome game and a great LP to fit with it!

I also have good hopes for the new coin system.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

This should be something.

Don't forget to attempt to get the bonus game after collecting 100 stars as well!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

IMO it will be better than asmt because I'm pretty sure SMWCP was more strict with the levels.
I like the OW border and the transition between the levels. The bonus game is cool too (especially the song).
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Oh boy now i can talk all about this on talkhaus.
Spoilered because this is a new thing here so yeah.
First of all, a couple of the levels on this can be broken with a cape (example is zephyr castle place) even though I don't care about this because i like to break levels with capes. Second, some of the levels are way too long or difficult for raocow to complete "legit", or maybe i just suck and we need to wait and see what happens. Third, fuck the dragon coin doors seriously ugh. Fourth, where the hell are any switch palaces i haven't found one and I'm in the cloud world. Finally, does anyone have a list of what songs are used in the levels, because P switch peak and some others are like "oh i remember these ALMOST"
Okay anyway.
can YOU use the packet sauce?
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Music list, as per request (of course, don't click it if you don't want to be spoiled):

Link

Mostly complete, credit goes to MrDeePay who compiled most of them. It's a little outdated in parts though, but he's still actively updating it so it should be fully done soon.
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

You know this looks extremely awesome as of now! The only thing I could complain about would be the rexes. I think they look stupid! Sorry @ whoever made them :\
Kleiner Kokiri

Post by Kleiner Kokiri »

For the yt-comments are generally filled with praiseand insanity i guess i'll take a more negative attitude now.

I do not understand why the 1-Up Mushroom costs 1000 coins. This is ... retarded.
The game saves after every level and restarts you with 5 lives. Besides losing a reached midpoint theres no downfall to a Game Over.
Getting 1000 coins takes you at least 7 levels ~ this varies of course. A feather costs half of that and is much more rare. While you can get lifes fairly easy with other methods.

Not to speak about the mushroom of course.
If a level has an easy reachable shroom at the beginning of a level you don't need that at all.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I had a nice star 117 save file which the world 7 boss deleted when it crashed the game on my second playthrough. Hopefully this lp will be free of such mishaps. Regardless the hack is really good (better than asmt, dare I say it?)
dont wanna jihad no more
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

They don't really work as emergencies either, since I pretty much doubt you're in a situation where you can't just go back to the first stage and get the easy mushrooms and life there.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

We actually had a lot more planned for Toad Town than just a shop (not a fantastic one either, at that), but .. you know, the ROM filled up too fast, so a lot of our ideas sort of drizzled away (things like an "arena" and a "bank" were candidates).

yeah
Carver

Post by Carver »

S.N.N. wrote:Music list, as per request

Man that's a good collection of choices, thanks for the list.
kilon

Post by kilon »

I just hope that it doesn't turn out to be a ASMT vs. SMWCP thread. The only connection they have is that they are both collab hacks.

Also, I expect progress to be a bit slow as it is no surprise that there are quite a few lengthy levels. But who knows what will happen. Maybe raocow surprises us by dying less often. Heh.
Alex-R

Post by Alex-R »

kilon wrote:I just hope that it doesn't turn out to be a ASMT vs. SMWCP thread. The only connection they have is that they are both collab hacks.
Actually, I think comparing them is a good thing, so we can see what each hack did right and what they did wrong, to hopefully learn something for future collab hacks. There's nothing wrong with friendly competition as long as it's actually friendly. That will only result in better hacks in general.
Kleiner Kokiri

Post by Kleiner Kokiri »

DJSecret wrote:
Then don't use them. Problem solved.

They're meant in case of an emergency.
That is called critic. Which usually is to be expected if you do a half-assed feature *facepalm*
Yeah ... since everyone suddenly got so hyped over this hack i think at least ONE guy should point out things that are not as good.
Even though i do realize this is a quality hack i tend to keep this attitude for this one.

Regarding your argument
////
raocow wrote: They don't really work as emergencies either, since I pretty much doubt you're in a situation where you can't just go back to the first stage and get the easy mushrooms and life there.
^This

I could have let you slipped this through if you had said:
"It was meant as a joke and not a serious approach for a shop that can be used."
But even for that, the feather is too realistic as a prize. For it is rare and valuable. It's also only double in cost as the Mushroom (which is basically in every level in the first section, also).

Even if the Mushroom would cost 30 Coins you're unlikely to go all the way back to the city.
So the shop basically exists for the Feather and Jetpack (whatever this is). That is too bad, because realistic prizes for 1-Ups would have worked well.

Other than that, they could have made better use of it. You mentioned the word "emergency". Now we all know the mechanic of a star in reserve from this other japanese hack that raocow used to play once. He needed a star in his reserve box to get a secret exit.
This would have been a real opportunity for an "emergency" item. A super red star with a bit longer duration than usual (so it would be more valuable than a Power-up). Weak players could then use it to make bosses or sections in a level easier to them, in a legit way.
Yes, one could break certain levels or parts with it, but that's the idea behind such a shop anyways. Strong palyers do it more legit because they want to, but weak players would use savestates either way.
kilon wrote: I just hope that it doesn't turn out to be a ASMT vs. SMWCP thread.
How about a ASMT vs SMWCP vs Vip Thread ? :lol:

EDIT:
Also ~ the existance of the shop actually makes it HARDER. Even if it were not serious.
Because you usually get 1-Up from every 100 coins.
But now you don't get that.
Last edited by Kleiner Kokiri 13 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Alex-R wrote:friendly.
key word there.

It would be interesting though. Both hacks did things right and wrong, and getting some response from all angles would certainly help A2MT and SMWCP2 substantially.
Fapnoob

Post by Fapnoob »

Ahahaha Banzai Reggie! :d

I have a feeling i will enjoy watching this lp a LOT.
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

Those banzai bill graphics are terrible, sorry.

I like that overworld border though.
Kleiner Kokiri

Post by Kleiner Kokiri »

DJSecret wrote:
Kleiner Kokiri wrote:Words about stuff
Fair enough. If it's of no realistic use, then it's filler for the spacesuit feature. The feather is available as early as
the first castle
so I suppose even that isn't even a rare buy.
It is.
While the feather is indeed availbable there:
You actually have to get ALL the dragon Coins and get to the end of the level. For a power Up that basically can just vanish after one hit that's a lot to do.
And i will not repeat my whole post if you did not get it's point yet.

The shop is also not just a filler, because it highers the price for a single life to 1000 Coins instead of 100 in a normal Mario Game. That's 10x as much !
So if affects you either way.
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

Well the main difference between ASMT and SMWCP I see is. The difficulty courve in ASMT is VIP like, means, one level of world 4 can be hard as hell, and the next so easy that you could beat it blindfolded (= example may not be realistic). And as far as I know SMWCP has more of a commercial game approach on this, means, it get's stadly harder instead of difficulty spikes like VIP or ASMT.

I can enjoy and really like both ways. That's a big difference for me, and gives me a completely different experience all together. I just hope that it will stay like that. A2MT with difficulty spikes at random and SMWCP2 with steady groing difficulty!
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

S.N.N. wrote:Music list, as per request (of course, don't click it if you don't want to be spoiled):

Link

Mostly complete, credit goes to MrDeePay who compiled most of them. It's a little outdated in parts though, but he's still actively updating it so it should be fully done soon.
http://bin.smwcentral.net/37651/smwcpmusiclisting.txt - Updated with a few more stragglers and corrected some songs since I finally got to those points in the final version that were changed from their pre-release version (Tropical Stride, Crystals on Fire). If anyone can fill in the rest, just PM me on SMWC as I'll be definitely sure to read it.
Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing »

This collab hack has inside jokes in it. Worst hack ever.

I am kidding. That's a joke. It's not serious.

That said, I really don't know why we're all getting our balls in a panty because we might compare this game to other games... I mean, we've done that before with games that weren't even played simultaneously!
raocow wrote:Next LP project - the entire hunter/scorpion series in chronological order
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Oracle of Wuffing wrote:we're all getting our balls in a panty
Well, that's certainly a new phrase.
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

HarmfulGravemind wrote:Well the main difference between ASMT and SMWCP I see is. The difficulty courve in ASMT is VIP like, means, one level of world 4 can be hard as hell, and the next so easy that you could beat it blindfolded (= example may not be realistic). And as far as I know SMWCP has more of a commercial game approach on this, means, it get's stadly harder instead of difficulty spikes like VIP or ASMT.

I can enjoy and really like both ways. That's a big difference for me, and gives me a completely different experience all together. I just hope that it will stay like that. A2MT with difficulty spikes at random and SMWCP2 with steady groing difficulty!
But after finishing the first four worlds, that really wasn't my experience. The difficulty curve may not be as erratic as ASMTs, but it's far from even. Heck, there's tons of examples, but consider for instance the first boss, which actually requires planning and skill, unlike w2 and w3, where you almost can't die to them (and w3 even gives you an extra midpoint right before it).

Not that there's anything wrong with this, mind you, it's pretty much unavoidable with collab hacks.

Also, concerning the shop discussion, lives can be quickly farmed en masse in a certain world 1 level, and there's an easy and quick cape in world 3, so really, the spacesuit seems the be the only point to it.

Other then that, a very good hack so far, although I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of indication for ghost house / fortress secret exits. I always hated that.
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

Lives stuff.
Lives can also be farmed in Nippy Expanse if you have a cape. Just climb on the nets at the start and hold down* when the Parakoopas make their ascent (So they fly out of their shell and not just revert to normal Koopas. Just don't fall off like a doofus.) and just continue that all the way to the end of the nets, then just float over and stomp the oncoming Goombas to keep the 1up sampo going. Then finally end it by grabbing the 1up Mushroom at the far end.

If that's done properly, you can net at least ten lives a run.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

@cozyduck: Yeah, there are three levels in particular (if you've played up to world 4, you probably know which ones) that break the difficulty curve pretty badly. I actually did my best to tone these down slightly pre-release without changing the original authors' designs, but .. well, there was only so much I could do.

On the bright side, the general consensus is that the difficulty curve is pretty smooth after that one particular world 4 level, so that's a bonus I think.