(shouting)

Custom music thread

it came, it went! all the old ASMT stuff is here
S.N.N.

Re: Custom music thread

Post by S.N.N. »

It converts them into .mmls, you mean. That is essentially a MIDI's raw note data.

As for listening to the .txts, the only way is to insert then. You could also rip an .SPC, if you so choose.
And also, do I have to have that #0 w220 t50 at the top?
It defaults to w200 (global volume of 200), and t50 (tempo of 50). However, it's usually advised that you put these right at the top, yes. Remember that both w and t are GLOBAL, meaning you only need them once (unless you want to get fancy and tempo shift, but you'd likely want to use N-SPC commands for that).
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

It doesn't say .mml at all? Well except for the fact that one of the songs is megaman legends music which I might try to convert when I get better at this.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Not sure what's up with that. Dragging and dropping a MIDI into tinymm will produce a .mml (and if it doesn't, just open it with a text editor anyway).

...of course, I've been using the same tinymm version for the past couple of years, so if you have an updated version, it may be causing that.
Kil

Post by Kil »

prsnth1111 wrote:I don't know about anyone else but I test it by inserting into Mario. I don't think there's any .txt file player. I usually keep a dos prompt open and zsnes open and then just keep reinserting/reloading game to hear updates.
This is exactly what I do. It's possible to set lunar magic to open the current rom by pressing F4, so essentially all I do is hit F4, hit the start button, and check the music.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Could you send me a version of your tinymm? smwcentral is down so I don't think I could get it there.
Btw ur name is very familiar. I see it alot on smw central.

S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Yes, heh. I am one of the head admins, so I would HOPE you'd see it a lot. ;)

Anyway, here is the version of tinymm that I use. If it STILL produces something other than a .mml, change the extension to a .mml and open it with Notepad.
TwilightArts

Post by TwilightArts »

prsnth1111 wrote:New music

Forest overworld loop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVMOPBMb6tk
I really like that. Reminds me a lot of Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 2, but that's a good thing considering it's a forest level. :)
"What the hell. And thus hell was whated." - raocow, VIP 4

My videos on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/TwilightArts
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

#0 w220 t50
#1 @6 v200
>g32r8^16^32a+32r32d+32r16d+32r16g32r8a+16r16^32<d32r8o4g32e2;
#2 @
#3 @
r1^16^32>g4^8^32;
#4 @
r2^4^8^16^32o3c32r32c32c32c32r32c32c32c32r32c32c32r32c32c32c32;
#9 @
r1^4^8^16^32<c16^32;
#10 @23 v200
r1^4^8^16^32>e2^4^16;

6 is trumpet as seen in the tut, and 23 is close to cymbals. Now if you look at channel #1 and #2, all those number and letter things are completely the same, does this mean I want to use the same instrument? can I do that "loop" thing? And then in channel 9 and 10, they start the same but aren't exactly at the end. Anything I can do with that? And is there anything wrong with what those code looks like other than I don't have an instrument and v for each one.
And what do these mean anyways... example - "r1^4^8^16^32>e2^4^16;"

I'll also upload the song as I have it now in megaupload. Tell me if you can hear anything from it. Also this has instruments for each too.

edit:
here's the song with everything I think I'm supposed to put in (even if it isn't exactly the correct instruments and stuff)

#0 w220 t50
#1 @6 v200
#2 @6 v200
#3 @21 v200
r1^16^32>g4^8^32;
#4 @4 v200
#9 @11 v200
r1^4^8^16^32<c16^32;
#10 @23 v200
r1^4^8^16^32>e2^4^16;

And, what is the largest thing you would possibly try to convert (file size wise) 10kb?

I like that overworld loop for the forest.

edit 3.. or 2?; i thought someone said that tinymm converts midi's to a .txt file addmusic can read?
and.. sort of off topic... how many of you custom music-ers actually have an mp3 or wav of smw songs?

S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Woah woah woah .. we've got some issues here that need to be worked out.

1. #9 and #10 are not acceptable channels. When you open the MML, you may see the { == Ch 10 ====} - however, it was the 10th channel in the MIDI format, NOT the SNES format. Since the SNES only has 8 channels, the TXT files can only have #0 - #7. In other words, change the #9 and #10 to #4 and #5.
2. The .mml enclosed should have the extension changed to a .txt. You can do it directly since the formats are both text.
3. #0 is also a channel. You are leaving it empty.

...better yet, let me rewrite the song here:

;insert song title here (semi-colons = unread data)
#0 w220 t50 @6 v200
#1 @6 v200
#2 @21 v200
r1^16^32>g4^8^32;
#3 @4 v200
#4 @11 v200
r1^4^8^16^32<c16^32;
#5 @23 v200
r1^4^8^16^32>e2^4^16;

You'll notice the changes I made.

I should probably note that some of your instrument choices are going to end up rather funky (namely, the @4 on channel #3, as you have a whole bunch of c32s which will play. It will sound bad). Of course, I realize you're still learning, so your best bet is to do some trial and error tests.

As for the largest thing you can convert .. it really depends. Eventually, the song will get so big that it will "overflow" into other song slots (i.e. if you insert a huge song into 21, it will take up 22, 23, etc.) Generally, the largest INSERT size you want is no more than 4000 bytes, or 4 kb.

Hope that cleared some things up. Feel free to ask if you need any more help.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

thanks for the info. I put 9 and 10 as channels because I remember someone telling me that there where 12 channels. Dunno where that came from (cuz I was pretty sure it has to be 8 bt music).
I put the #0 at the top like that because the tutorial made me think I had to put that then the volume and tempo or whatever I put by the 0 (I forgot what's in my post).

What exactly does 32c do anyways lol? I still don't quite understand about those numbers. Is it things about how long the note is or the tune of it and things?

and I already new the highest insert size you would do would be 4kb, but I meant, do you think you'd be able to convert a midi that is something like 50 kb (Not that I have something with that size that Id like to convert), to the 4kb or less .txt/mml?

edit: I tested what you sent me (and tweaked it a little first). I think it's still an mml. I put it in the music folder for addmusic (carol's version is what I've got - English). I renamed the file 25, then inserted it to a test rom. I opened level 105 nad bypassed the music to use #25. I went ingame to the level. No noise other than normal sound effects for jumping etc at all played. When the time hit 99 seconds the small speed up jingle played. At the end where you can find the clapin chuck, suddenly all the sound effects started to echo, no matter what screen I moved to (I did enter the bonus area that has that but nothing changed till I got to the clapin Chuck). Also when the speed up jingle showed up it was still silent.
So ummm... aaaahhhh????!
I think it might because of the number I used (25)

S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

If all else fails, just highlight all of the data and paste it in a new TXT file. Assuming you're using "Romi's" addmusic, you'll need to edit the .INI file with the proper name of the TXT.

As for '32c' .. you're reading it wrong. The letters (c d e f g a b) and numbers (1 2 4 8 16 32 64) correspond to the core data of the song - the note data, as you said. For instance:

a4

would be a quarter note played on the tone A.

c32

would be a 32nd note played on the tone C.

b4^8

would be a quarter note tied to an eighth note on the tone B.

Assuming you're using the tutorial from SMW Central .. it's about two years outdated, and probably requires an overhaul. Either way, I hope this further cleared things up.

One other thing - if a channel ends too early, the whole song will reloop. To prevent this, I would suggest adding something like [r1]50 to the end of each channel. Of course, this will make the song go silent at the end, but you can adjust the 50 on each so that it finally works.
YeeP

Post by YeeP »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEF4ICS7 ... re=related - Whoa there charlie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHE6AV5L ... re=related - raocow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qydCXMNu ... re=related - Where's Lakitu

Dunno if these would make good level stages, either way all of these songs are catchy and include the voice of our favourite LPer! Hope you guys consider these songs :)

All made by - GenericCAW - Props to him! :D
prsnth1111

Post by prsnth1111 »

If getting custom music into the game was that easy, this thread wouldn't be this long.
YeeP

Post by YeeP »

There's a download song button though(dunno if that changes anything) , I'm fairly new to mario rom hacks so sorry xD
Kil

Post by Kil »

YeeP wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEF4ICS7 ... re=related - Whoa there charlie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHE6AV5L ... re=related - raocow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qydCXMNu ... re=related - Where's Lakitu

Dunno if these would make good level stages, either way all of these songs are catchy and include the voice of our favourite LPer! Hope you guys consider these songs :)

All made by - GenericCAW - Props to him! :D
The SPC700 was absurdly powerful for its time (in some ways it surpasses the modern day DS's sound chip) but it'd be really hard to get those samples of raocow's voice into the game. I've seen one romhack that somehow hacked different sound samples into smw, but only one, and I have no idea how they did it. I wish I knew how, because I don't like smw's default instruments at all.

Completely off topic but, for the record if I could gather synths from other SNES games, my dream list would be this:

Trumpet: Lufia 2
String orchestra: Final Fantasy 6
Bass: Romancing Saga 1, 2 or 3 (Kenji Ito's legendary slap bass)
Snare drum: Seiken Densetsu 3
Electric lead guitar: Megaman X (the "Capcom Guitar", here's my song in FFR that uses it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HooCRQU6ucE)
Electric rhythm Guitar: FFMQ or any Megaman X game
Everything else: Final Fantasy 6 (this game has an incredible sound bank)
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Kil wrote:
The SPC700 was absurdly powerful for its time (in some ways it surpasses the modern day DS's sound chip) but it'd be really hard to get those samples of raocow's voice into the game. I've seen one romhack that somehow hacked different sound samples into smw, but only one, and I have no idea how they did it. I wish I knew how, because I don't like smw's default instruments at all.
Is that sort of like that thing uhh... it's one of Raocows videos... Vip2 intermission or something. They managed to do the entire song for Rick Astleys "Never Gonna Give You Up". Is it possible to ask whoever did that how they managed to do the music part? Who knows maybe if we figure that method out we could discombobulate it to making adding custom music either alot more easy, or ranged (like support of different types of music files)

yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Smallhacker's Xka Shack is not an SMW hack, but rather a homebrew ROM.
Kil

Post by Kil »

chdata wrote:
Kil wrote:
Is that sort of like that thing uhh... it's one of Raocows videos... Vip2 intermission or something. They managed to do the entire song for Rick Astleys "Never Gonna Give You Up". Is it possible to ask whoever did that how they managed to do the music part? Who knows maybe if we figure that method out we could discombobulate it to making adding custom music either alot more easy, or ranged (like support of different types of music files)
It would probably just change how the music sounds. Anyway, I feel dumb now because I just found tutorials for this on smwcentral written by S.N.N. Maybe I should do rudimentary searches for things before going off on tangents.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I've seen one romhack that somehow hacked different sound samples into smw, but only one, and I have no idea how they did it. I wish I knew how, because I don't like smw's default instruments at all.
Sample editing is pretty trivial nowadays. There is a tool that can do it on SMWC called "SMWS". However, you need to manually set the key, the pitch, as well as picking a DEFAULT sample to replace (and let us remember that default samples are what make up the sound effects of the game). In other words, you'll need to be very careful of what you replace.

Oh. Did I mention that the size allowed is very small?

Either way, if you can use Audacity or another editing program to extract the samples of raocow's voice, as mentioned earlier, and cut it down small enough to make it into a loopable WAV, you can probably insert them. I wouldn't mind doing it, actually, if no one else wants to.

(on a semi-related note, I actually made an SPC that used cricket sound samples a long time ago. You can hear it here.)
Kil

Post by Kil »

It seems pretty restrictive yeah. I guess we won't be replacing any instruments in the collab final rom then?

On the personal side, in my own test rom I haven't gotten past the first step of pointing the program to 1KB of free space.

Also, nice spc.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I have audacity but I don't think I'm near experienced enough to do that stuff.. =(

Kil

Post by Kil »

I really like the chord progression in that. Hopefully raocow will spend more than 15 seconds on that overworld to show off the whole song.

Also, does anyone know which overworld sections still don't have new music?
prsnth1111

Post by prsnth1111 »

Anything other than forest, water, ice and sky (currently working) at this point, I think (don't think anyone other than me has done any overworld music)

Are you going to contribute some music?
Hopefully raocow will spend more than 15 seconds on that overworld to show off the whole song.
Yeah, I think I might cut some parts out, I'm trying to keep these overworld loops fairly short since people don't generally spend much prolonged time in the overworld.
Kil

Post by Kil »

Hmmm... don't really have any ideas for the remaining areas, so I guess not. Also, raocow stops to listen to overworld pretty often from what I've seen. Or sometimes he just leaves the video running for awhile after beating a stage.