(shouting)

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Testing and Development - First post, update about respo

Post by Daarkbuu »

AUS wrote:Mostly constructive criticism. What, you think I reacted badly to that? Lol? Good up and read my response.
You don't even understand do you....

"I can take constructive criticism but it seems like I haven't got much of it"

That's what you said in your last post, it is pretty clear that you have gotten plenty of constructive criticism so you shouldn't be complaining about anything. That's my point.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Your point isn't good. You only quoted one post. That is hardly plenty of constructive criticism.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Daarkbuu

Post by Daarkbuu »

AUS wrote:Your point isn't good. You only quoted one post.
LMFAO, I'm done with this idiot, he really doesn't deserve my time.

Congrats AUS, you got another user not liking you.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

I don't care if a troll likes me or not, so okay?

You managed to find one post that actually gives something close to constructive criticism, and that's supposed to make me believe I get plenty of constructive criticism? :lol: It's not working.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Daarkbuu

Post by Daarkbuu »

AUS wrote: You managed to find one post that actually gives something close to constructive criticism, and that's supposed to make me believe I get plenty of constructive criticism? :lol: It's not working.
Considering it's one of the largest and most informative posts posted in recent time.....

But who am I kidding, that's not enough for someone like you is it. Be happy that you even got any feedback to begin with.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

jesus you two, stop it already.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

AUS:
limepie20 wrote:I don't feel like the gameplay is too bad but you should change some palettes and use exgfx for the ground. Right now you may not want to change it but trust me, if you do it'll look so much better and you'll know it. I did the same thing for my level and now I like it a lot more because other people told me to make it look better.
MajorasMask: I really love your level so far and after watching the video I agree with your choice to use "the moon" now. Also, I'll be disappointed if you don't have a part right at the end where like 5 of those go off
Cup

Post by Cup »

Thoughts on AUS' level take two-Now with more nice!

Wow, AUS I really loved the layer two gimmick. That adds a lot to the gameplay and I love the feeling of changing the land mass at my whim. This has so much potential to be one of the best levels. I've seen layer two used many ways but this is a slightly original take on it from my perspective. I really wish this was better incorporated though. The only time I really had fun with it was in the first section using it to get dragon coins. In the second half of the level, I really didn't get the same enjoyment out of it. I think a big part of this is the "look" of the level, but I'll explain my reasoning there in a second.

I heard you say you were "going for forced." I'm going to stop right here and say that this is actually very hard to do well. I'm sure it can be done, but it has to be the main point in the level for it to work. I'm thinking doing a ASMT YCZ joke kaizo level sort of execution but instead of focusing on kaizo levels, you focus on "tails' style landmasses." The time would certainly be ripe, what with all the popularity and backlash going on right now. I imagine this would still be hard to pull off though, and honestly I can only imagine it taking away from the layer two gimmick, which is by far the strongest part of your level. If you really want to go for a forced look, I recommend you go balls out and make that the focus. Go even crazier with pallets, and way crazier with landmass. It's got to be beyond "tails" to be executed properly. This should be what drives the gameplay as well. I imagine twists and turns throughout the level, getting lost, that sort of thing. To make it fun, you'd have to make the "only for decoration" stuff be used in actual platforming. Abandon the layer 2 gimmick if this is what you deiced to go with. This could be a really clever take on a maze type level and a solid critique on the current overuse of these landmasses.

Really though, like I said I LOVE your layer two. I think this is where you should focus. I can't stress enough that I feel like these "forced" aesthetics are taking away from what could really be one of my favorite levels. If you abandon that idea and instead focus on coming up with awesome and creative obstacles for layer two platforming, this level will certainly rank among the top. This is where my first point comes in. In the second part of the level the green and purple has already lost its novelty, and adding in the spin jump blocks feels unfinished, because if doesn't get used enough. If you mix in those blocks with the vertical scrolling/platforming of your layer two... HOLY COW, MIND=BLOWN! You could do so much with this and this is what I think should be the major gameplay element in the second half. I really think you should drop the muncher ceiling completely. It doesn't add all that much except frustration. Hard platforming with spin jump blocks and layer 2 should be where the difficulty stems. It will be much more rewarding for the player.

But most important, and I mean MOST important. By the second half, your pallet has really worn out its welcome. I strongly suggest you start over in this aspect. You can certainly ask for help with graphics if you don't want to draw your own. Rip some from another game. Anything to add a sense of amazement to your platforming. At the very least play around with a custom pallet of some kind. There's loads of time till you need to submit your level. If you don't know how to be a graphical wiz yet, you can ask for help and learn a lot before you need to submit a finished product. It would add so much to a level with so much potential. This is by far the weakest part of your level and it causes the gameplay to drag and quickens my feeling of frustration when I don't get a jump right away.

The title is pretty funny since I've seen the wiki, but I'm worried that it won't have the same effect on the vast majority of people playing (or watching, raocow has over 10,000 subs ya know) this hack, since chances are they've never worked on a collab hack before. You may want to think of something else as you get closer to submitting.

All in all though, I really love the ideas behind it. You could make something really great if you're open to giving it another go, but it'd take a pretty big overhaul. Granted, I'm holding you to a high standard because I see a lot of promise here, but I really hope I get to see a "closed" version 2 in the next few weeks.

-Any better? You notice I'm still saying practically the same thing. I intended the first to be sort of a wake up call after seeing how you reacted to Daxterspeed, who I agreed with, but I see now that wasn't the way to get anything done. Hopefully you find this more helpful.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

raocow wrote:jesus you two, stop it already.
I agree. It's a rediculous argument, and I had to submit my level 3 times just to get one review. This is a testing forum. Not an arguing one.
Cup

Post by Cup »

Sorry about that Ashanmaril.

It's not uncommon though for something to get left behind in a discussion. I definitely think AUS' level needed the attention so I'm glad it got it. Just keep posting if you level gets lost.

Since I'm being so talkative at the moment though, I thought I'd go ahead and give my thoughts on your level if you care to hear them.

It was great for what it was. I agree whole heartedly with SNN's sentiment, so ditto to everything he outlined. I think I may have an idea to fix the backtracking and under-utilization of inter-wound plains at the same time though.

Change the level design in that portion slightly to allow two different paths for the backtracking, an upper and lower path probably, and like I mentioned to AUS use the crazy landmass as an integral part of the platforming. You do it somewhat, but it's very subtle. I think I'd like it more if you screamed it at us. When we go back with the spring board, take us in and out of the mountainside, over and under slopes. It'd take a change to the level design in that section, but I really think it'd give the title meaning and add a memorable gimmick to your level.

The simplicity of your level is very nice though. It's fun to play for a beginning of a world kind of thing (though I personally think the difficulty curve should start a bit higher). I know it will be hard to add the kind of weaving and climbing I'm imaging without making your level look cluttered, but at the same time I think it'd add a lot if you make the player do more of it.

I know not every level needs to stick out in the players mind, but I do like a level that makes the player treat it like a "level." This feels like something I would just blaze through and never think about again if I were playing it in a full hack. Since there is still time before you need to submit anything, why not aim higher? I hope you come up with a few more ideas to make it stand out, but it's still pretty fun and very solid as it is (if not a little plain).
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Cup wrote:Sorry about that Ashanmaril.

It's not uncommon though for something to get left behind in a discussion. I definitely think AUS' level needed the attention so I'm glad it got it. Just keep posting if you level gets lost.

Since I'm being so talkative at the moment though, I thought I'd go ahead and give my thoughts on your level if you care to hear them.

It was great for what it was. I agree whole heartedly with SNN's sentiment, so ditto to everything he outlined. I think I may have an idea to fix the backtracking and under-utilization of inter-wound plains at the same time though.

Change the level design in that portion slightly to allow two different paths for the backtracking, an upper and lower path probably, and like I mentioned to AUS use the crazy landmass as an integral part of the platforming. You do it somewhat, but it's very subtle. I think I'd like it more if you screamed it at us. When we go back with the spring board, take us in and out of the mountainside, over and under slopes. It'd take a change to the level design in that section, but I really think it'd give the title meaning and add a memorable gimmick to your level.

The simplicity of your level is very nice though. It's fun to play for a beginning of a world kind of thing (though I personally think the difficulty curve should start a bit higher). I know it will be hard to add the kind of weaving and climbing I'm imaging without making your level look cluttered, but at the same time I think it'd add a lot if you make the player do more of it.

I know not every level needs to stick out in the players mind, but I do like a level that makes the player treat it like a "level." This feels like something I would just blaze through and never think about again if I were playing it in a full hack. Since there is still time before you need to submit anything, why not aim higher? I hope you come up with a few more ideas to make it stand out, but it's still pretty fun and very solid as it is (if not a little plain).
Okay, thanks. Haha. How long does it take to type that all? You write a whole Bible on your review's. haha. Anyways, thanks for the feedback.
Cup

Post by Cup »

haha yeah, I'm a molecular biology student and the amount of research papers I'm forced to write is staggering, so I got in the habit of taking pages to say what I really ought to say in a paragraph. But I'm used to turning them out pretty quickly, so though I may not be learning that much biology I am certainly learning to write walls of text hella fast. If I end up commenting more often I'll probably put them in spoiler tags so I don't take up the whole page.
Last edited by Cup 13 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

:lol: Haha. Okay. Anyways, I better start getting to work on the level.
VideoGuy

Post by VideoGuy »

Personal progress report time!

Not a ton of changes since the last one, although I finally updated all of my GFX files. Unless anyone finds any problems with it (feel free to be critical), I'll send it into the Clearing thread.

Well apparently my .ips is more than 512 KB, so instead I'll waste SMWC's bandwidth.
linky
Accepting any and all ASM requests for A2MT. Just send me a PM.
Note: If I accepted your ASM request and you never heard back from me, please let me know. I feel like I've forgotten a few of them.
Also the creator of the new A2MT CMS. PM me if you have any questions.
Youtube Channel
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

Gone for a day and this?

AUS I've had trouble with you before, but I will toss that aside. This is based solely off of what I've read so far, you are rejecting input on your level as something akin to hazing. It is not that at all, the suggestions provided are indeed valid and worth consideration... now this is to EVERYONE as I've seen it more than once before, albeit less ostentatiously: is it better to waste time giving a retort akin to "nuh-uh" or just tinkering and trying again? I have thrown away whole levels in the testing phase more than once, I know others have, on this and countless other projects. I'm sure artists of all sorts have created things that never saw the light of day, it's this control that makes it so that there is quality. Now please, stop your bickering (Daarkbuu, you too... don't fan flames... I appreciate your reviewing, but I, too have been hot tempered in here far more than once... so I am just patting you on the shoulder and repeating raocow's plea to give it a rest.)

AS FOR YOU, PARALARS
Paralars wrote:Okay guys, I need to say something.
I really have a serious problem with your judging level quality apparently mostly by graphics and shallow things.
A level can have a beatiful looking tileset but still be unfair, have silly obstacles or require flawless moving and key hitting patterns.
And levels can look not that impressive but still be a nice challenge, have a fun gimmick and are overall fun to play.
Please, if you look at a level, don't just evaluate the look of it, also think what some third person who plays this level would think about the gameplay.
Okay, gameplay is nothing obvious to recognize like graphics or music, but if you judge a level, you should take those pains to find out what parts are partially unfair, are annoying to play, are just not fun to play or are just extremely forced like you get only single block platforms and do an exact jump through instant-kill lava tiles you touch when you don't time the key pressing correct to a tenth of a second (hyperbole).
Mind that we can't have 100 levels where every level is exactly the difficulty that fits every teammate's taste of this entire hack.
There have to be easier levels and harder levels and very easy levels and maybe very very hard levels.
Of course we try to make an awesome hack here with high quality levels, but please, be tolerant... and if you can't be, give constructive critizism and show them how it's done to make something better. The noblest thing you can do is pass knowledge, seriously.

At least this is my impression of some critizism I am seeing, don't be offended and take it to heart.
I don't want to see such superficial criticism PASSING kaizos (or lazy levels,) but I AM currently (trying to help be) in charge of this project... to SOME extent aesthetics are important (for me they're top tier, you've seen my not-necessarily-entertaining but pretty levels before, it's why I don't make top-quality levels, at least not on my own (kudos Moniker, I appreciate your help and feel a loss you can't help me here, I hope to see a gem from you, though DS, I know you are capable.))

So yes, if there IS an aesthetic issue I will call it out... it may not be a nonpassing thing, but at least a suggestion save anything that makes me foam at the mouth (Hacks 101 anyone? -shot-)

HOWEVER! Vanilla is not an issue, poorly executed is. Poorly executed, ExGFX OR vanilla is what makes things look bad. Bland makes things look bad... Bland palettes are a real let-down to an otherwise fancy level... just... even an adjustment that sets the mood better... anything just not a flat vanilla palette... it's just... bluntly, lazy.

That said, I WILL NOT be satisfied with a beautified kaizo (or lazy level,) either... I want something that is nice looking, fun to play, but not as easy as something I'd make... ( ._.; )

and...
Paralars wrote:At least this is my impression of some critizism I am seeing, don't be offended and take it to heart.
to quote paste: npjb

Nothing Personal, Just Business. No one is attacking anyone here (at least I hope not, and I give DS, among others (Argumentable, etc. if they check here) the right to reprimand anyone stepping out of line. Not to be mean, but to keep others FROM being mean. This is a team project, and abrasion does not produce teamwork.)
Cup wrote:I'm forced to write is staggering, so I got in the habit of taking pages to say what I really ought to say in a paragraph.
English student, so I quote a lot of people and (if the case need be) put it in MLA format and(/or) retort.

From now on, I may, to try and keep this place lighthearted replace insults with silly words (potentially still insults, but ones that nobody can take seriously [i.e. lint-licker from that one Orbitz commercial])

Other mods can do this, too if they choose. :P
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

From now on, I may, to try and keep this place lighthearted replace insults with silly words (potentially still insults, but ones that nobody can take seriously [i.e. lint-licker from that one Orbitz commercial])

Other mods can do this, too if they choose. :P
Haha. I can see the Talkhaus future already. Big forum wars with arguments like "Well you're a mean person!!!"
TheSlyPig

Post by TheSlyPig »

Paralars, thanks for the feedback on my level. I've made a few changes, and I will re-upload in a few days. :mrgreen:
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

What's gotten in to me? Again an update? Usually I need so long to move a single tile or sprite (never both)
Well here we go.

The new bridge as I told you in the last post. And a new exiting way to get out of the tresure chest place! It is so exiting and amazing that your computer may blow up when it must handle the awesomness of this!

Ok, it's not that exiting... but still, I think it's pretty nead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hVlDaah8Gg
Last edited by HarmfulGravemind 13 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Harmful: I love it. The bridge looks amazing.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Hahaha, you made the bridge the way I told you :lol: It looks good.

VideoGuy: It's really good, but I thought there was some fight with the goal sphere at the end? Whatever.
It is pretty good, except it looks stupid when Demo walks against the wall in the end after collecting the goal sphere.
And furthermore, it's a bit stupid to have a ceiling above you that you don't see.
A tiny issue is maybe that one tile before the growing pipe you get somewhat stuck with the slope until you press left.
But apart from that it is really funny
GanonTEK
Evil King
Location: Ireland. The Emerald Isle. (We got no emeralds though)

Post by GanonTEK »

Sorry for the gap of a few days. Searching for ExGFX files and looking through them and
trying them out takes time and I like what I have in the last pic but i thought
I should have something else for the next rooms. the teleport room specifically.

So, Should I just use the FG graphics I have already for the rest of my level or
use graphics slightly demonstrated in this image? Just look at the orange/sandy blocks.
I can make the background that colour too. Not sure if that would, again, be inconsistent with my theme.

Link here: http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx25 ... /a2mt3.png
in case the image doesnt fit again.

Ignore glitchy parts,

You know, I've been thinking and I think I will use the graphics I used in the earlier part..
It's called adamantium castle and well.. it needs to stay grey/metallic... I could try and change those blocks to grey either.... I'll give it a go.

edit: here they are in grey
tatanga

Post by tatanga »

Market Street normal exit

also I don't know what music to have (anyone who claimed a music spot planning on using space music?).
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

GanonTEK: I think the grey blocks look really good.
VideoGuy

Post by VideoGuy »

Paralars wrote:VideoGuy: It's really good, but I thought there was some fight with the goal sphere at the end? Whatever.
It is pretty good, except it looks stupid when Demo walks against the wall in the end after collecting the goal sphere.
And furthermore, it's a bit stupid to have a ceiling above you that you don't see.
A tiny issue is maybe that one tile before the growing pipe you get somewhat stuck with the slope until you press left.
But apart from that it is really funny
I suppose I could add a fight. I was originally going to just send it in as-is because I thought I'd be busy making actual game bosses, but there hasn't been a lot going on in that thread, so I might add one to mine.

Also ceiling and end have been fixed.
Accepting any and all ASM requests for A2MT. Just send me a PM.
Note: If I accepted your ASM request and you never heard back from me, please let me know. I feel like I've forgotten a few of them.
Also the creator of the new A2MT CMS. PM me if you have any questions.
Youtube Channel
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

GanonTEK
How about the fallowing. The FG completely in an orange like shape and the bg grayish (unchanged).
I think you should try to make the cement blocks also orange. And also those wired things that I don't know what they do (they probably hurt) should be orange. At least to see how it would look like.