the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Re: A Super Mario Thing - Collab Hack

Post by Argumentable »

AnimeRules wrote: Image
Hmm.. somethings fishy about this...
These doors are ugly. You need an ugly gate

Image Image

Hell if I know where the real gate is (yes, they're door graphics)
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Hey, how do I edit tiles in the 8x8 editor? I want to change what my ghosts look like. I can't seem to access smw central, or find a good tutorial on youtube. And so the changes wouldn't be global in the collab, how would I do that?
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

What, you mean like making an ExGFX file? Use yy-chr (which was linked on SMWC)

What I do is I have all the normal SMW graphics exported, and if I want to change something, I just find the right file, open it up, edit it to my liking (colors are usually off, nothing a custom palette won't fix), then save as ExGFX##.bin, then all you need to do is insert those graphics into the hack

I probably did not help at all, but feel free to IM me
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Kiniko

Post by Kiniko »

A question! Do you think anyone could make some hyperthomps?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT9tI9LFJUc

I think raocow might laugh if we referenced that level.
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

Kiniko wrote:A question! Do you think anyone could make some hyperthomps?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT9tI9LFJUc

I think raocow might laugh if we referenced that level.
Heh, I don't think it'd be THAT hard, I just think it's a matter of changing the graphics...

Also, nice idea. XP

EDIT: I mean, honestly, yoshicookiezues made a yoshi smasher like that! I think he (or someone else) could make a thwomp.
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
GreenLiquid

Post by GreenLiquid »

I'm having trouble with the message blocks in my level: they always show the first message regardless of X-position. After some investigation, the only thing I can think of that might be affecting the situation is the fact that my level is 104, and that Yoshi's House had a weird thing with the message blocks where the message only changed if you had found Yoshi. If this is so, I'll need some sort of ASM assistance in disabling it.

Also, what is the current 'allowance' of using custom Map16 blocks (by that I mean BlockTool blocks, not just new graphics)? Do I need special permissions for these? I'm currently using a frozen block, a frozen block w/ coin, and a block that can only be passed if the player has picked up 30 coins.

Finally, what is the policy on changing background graphics? The only background that the game has that makes remotely any sense going with an ice fortress is incredibly straining on the eyes.

Thanks for the assistance.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Does anyone know of a working block that doesn't allow you to carry items through it? I can't find one.

Also, how do I copy the full custom palette of a level I made so I can use it in a sub level?

and here is my ghost house so far. First room is finished (although i'm fixing a few odds and ends)
ghost house

Tell me what you think, or if you know a working block that doesn't let you carry items through it!
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
Garlyle

Post by Garlyle »

is the fact that my level is 104,
Woah woah woah wut? ...104... umm... I don't wanna go ruin everything now, but isn't that a very bad map to edit - especially to turn into a fortress? Afterall, it's where the ending screens will take place.

I've always been told that messing with 104 is - along with messing with map 0 since that's the bonus game - a Very Bad Idea for romhackers.

Of course, I think this can be remedied by making that fortress stage map 24 and returning current map 24 (Yoshi's House) back to 104...

Don't get me wrong, if you guys planned this deliberately or have some other workaround go right ahead, but...
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Except that I moved that property to level 24. And besides, I think that we should use a custom ending, and not the original one.
Kil

Post by Kil »

Yeah. A different boss would be nice too. Bowser is a snoozefest.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

Just a quick question. What will be the name of the Romhack?
prsnth1111

Post by prsnth1111 »

I think it was "A Super Mario Thing"
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

prsnth1111 wrote:"A Super Mario Thing"
As seen in the title of pretty much every thread in this forum.
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:
prsnth1111 wrote:"A Super Mario Thing"
As seen in the title of pretty much every thread in this forum.
Yes I tought it was more like a Codename, you know, the prerelease name. Thats the reason I asked
GreenLiquid

Post by GreenLiquid »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:Except that I moved that property to level 24. And besides, I think that we should use a custom ending, and not the original one.
So then I take it that the level will work normally when inserted into the hack?
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Yes, it will.
GreenLiquid

Post by GreenLiquid »

Alright then, can I get some feedback on my first finished draft of the level?

A few notes:

1) The finished level will have a sprite which removes power-ups upon entry into the level, so you'll always come in as small Mario.
2) Message blocks won't work properly until final insertion into hack, for reference, the second one tells you to get every coin in the area.
3) There is no boss. I have no idea how to make custom bosses, and the Reznor boss would be pretty incongruous for obvious reasons. If anyone who has ASM skill wants to make one, feel free.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

The part where you ride the thing on the rails is off, there's a couple fuzzies that just randomly fall offscreen, and there's no vertical scroll when there probably should be

Also I don't know what messageboxes you're talking about cause I didn't see any in my one run through just now
Last edited by Argumentable 14 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
GreenLiquid

Post by GreenLiquid »

Argumentable wrote:The part where you ride the thing on the rails is off, there's a couple fuzzies that just randomly fall offscreen, and there's no vertical scroll when there probably should be

Also I don't know what messageboxes you're talking about cause I didn't see any in my one run through just now
Whaaaat? Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing? That doesn't sound anything like the level at all. I hope it's not glitched.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

I went in the level that had the changed name, not the one named YOSHI'S HOUSE. I am playing YOSHI'S HOUSE now
GreenLiquid

Post by GreenLiquid »

Whoops, sorry about that, the finished level is in fact YOSHI'S HOUSE. In the words of raocow, that other level was a demo.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Ok, the pipe after the area with the key, (the area before the area with the goal), it seems like it should scroll up cause I hopped up above the camera and I was walking on something, but the camera didn't scroll with me. unless this is some intentional play blind thing, in which case I don't like it (I'm assuming the keyhole is up there)

PS you definitely need better frozen coin blocks
GreenLiquid

Post by GreenLiquid »

Argumentable wrote:Ok, the pipe after the area with the key, (the area before the area with the goal), it seems like it should scroll up cause I hopped up above the camera and I was walking on something, but the camera didn't scroll with me. unless this is some intentional play blind thing, in which case I don't like it (I'm assuming the keyhole is up there)

PS you definitely need better frozen coin blocks
Yep, that area is supposed to be blind. Let me know if you can find the secret exit, there is a clue of sorts to get across there, but I'm not sure it's the most obvious. I'll probably add a hint in the final version.

Do you know of any sites that offer free use frozen coin blocks that look good? I tried SMWC, but didn't find anything that worked.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Can't you just change the graphics yourself? Hell, send it to me and I'll do it

Edit: They could probably be changed to be blue
GreenLiquid

Post by GreenLiquid »

Argumentable wrote:Can't you just change the graphics yourself? Hell, send it to me and I'll do it

Edit: They could probably be changed to be blue
Honestly, if you could make 'em, that would be awesome. My sprite drawing abilities are extremely lacking.