(shouting)

raocow's thread -mention me raocow!!!!

it came, it went! all the old ASMT stuff is here
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: raocow's thread

Post by raocow »

yoshicookiezeus wrote: (I am kind of scared when it comes to playtesting this level, though...)
Well, we got video comfirmation that the level 'works', so, ah, hmm. It's not even as bad as peeps say, darn it!

With that said - awesome!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

Hahaha, judging by the video, I think it IS as bad as peeps say, Rao.
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

oh man! What a long video!
ShodanWiiReture

Post by ShodanWiiReture »

Holy crap raocow, that's one heck of a level! 7th or 8th world anyone? ;)
prsnth1111

Post by prsnth1111 »

Bowser's castle :shock:
Thissa

Post by Thissa »

God, raocow, that was SADISTIC.
kirokyo

Post by kirokyo »

I couldn't resist myself to play this level when people said it was hard. I played the first version and it took me about 10 minutes to complete the level. Playing it the second time, this time with the updated version, it took me about 3 minutes. Pretty much not hard at all (with savestates) if you know what you are doing.

There were 2 parts (as I see it) that you actually need to know smw Mario physics with his run and jump buttons. Well, I'd give a more in-depth feed back but I don't want to mention more to spoil the level do I. :(

edit: no, I didn't use the switch blocks :shock:
editedit: I meant 15 minutes.. then 6 minutes.. jee.. what is wrong with me..
"The astronaut wouldn't notice anything special when his watch reached midnight and he crossed the event horizon into the black hole until, of course, he approached the singularity and was crushed into spaghetti." - Stephen Hawking, A Brief History of Time (film)
prsnth1111

Post by prsnth1111 »

Well, maybe you're a god with SMW but I consider GVirusG a pretty good smw player and it took him quite a bit with savestates so...
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

prsnth1111 wrote:Well, maybe you're a god with SMW but I consider GVirusG a pretty good smw player and it took him quite a bit with savestates so...
To be fair, GVirusG pulled a 'me' and did that one place where he had a lot of trouble all wrong.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Hey, I wonder if one of the music-editing peeps could give me a hand for something?

I'd like to have the super mario world 'main' theme... but with missing instruments. Like, you have the main theme, then you have one with one of the instruments missing, another with two instruments missing, etc.

Does anyone know how this could be done, or someone that would know how this could be done?
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Like, the theme from the title screen, or the theme from 105?

If I can do it by manipulating some MIDI files, it can't be that hard.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
prsnth1111

Post by prsnth1111 »

Well, remember that SMW doesn't use MIDI format.

However if the .txt file for the original SMW music is available somewhere, it would be extraordinarily easy. Just have multiple files, then remove one channel progressively.

But if the original .txt files for the SMW in game music isn't available then you'd have to remake the originals first..
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

raocow, one thing about your other two levels: When it comes to using secondary exits, please start out by using the ones with the same numbers as your levels. It makes organizing those things quite a bit easier.
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

Hey raocow, I TASed (Tool Assisted Speedrun / Superplay) your Level :lol:

only 184 rerecords (savestates), so it is not optimised at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M2xEyJ1Ip0
Kil

Post by Kil »

raocow wrote:Hey, I wonder if one of the music-editing peeps could give me a hand for something?

I'd like to have the super mario world 'main' theme... but with missing instruments. Like, you have the main theme, then you have one with one of the instruments missing, another with two instruments missing, etc.

Does anyone know how this could be done, or someone that would know how this could be done?
I remember reading something about changing the default music a long long time ago, but I'll be damned if I could remember it now.

I wonder if its possible to use a bit of asm to change the velocity of certain sound channels to 0, effectively muting em? Timing might be a problem though. Like someone else said, if there was a .txt file for addmusic, it would be easy to do...
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Since music is not an urgent issue I'll still build my level, but it would be a neat thing.

I think I aim too high, but that's how you create great things!
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

raocow, are planning on 100% the CollabHack? Doing all the secondary exits and everything?
raocow

Post by raocow »

HarmfulGravemind wrote:raocow, are planning on 100% the CollabHack? Doing all the secondary exits and everything?
...yes?
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

raocow wrote:
HarmfulGravemind wrote:raocow, are planning on 100% the CollabHack? Doing all the secondary exits and everything?
...yes?
Of course he is... what do you think? He's just gonna leave some secret exits untouched?!

Geez!

:P
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Sorry raocow but I broke part of the level. In the first falling part you can squeeze through a thing to get to a door and skip to the boss fight. I think it can be fixed easily by putting something in the way.

Here's the video-

Click me for I am the video button!

Also sorry for playing it but everyone kept saying it was hard so that kinda... ya...
I played through it trying to only save state in certain spots, the start, the part with 2 invisible shrooms, the part with the door and a spinning platform, and then at the p-switch, so when I die I go back to those spots. It wasn't completely unfair till I got to that p-switch cuz I didn't get further. (I mainly ran out of time to try actually) But ya I'm not even that good at the game anyways.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
raocow

Post by raocow »

Oh man.

Wow, way to go me.

Uhm, mr zeus? Did you already put my level in the hack? Can it be changed? Because that's a glaring oversight on my end, wow.

Also in that little thing is my work-in-progress for my second level. I think it helps illustrate what I want to do with the music - the first is the usual level theme, second room it would be distorted in a weird way, third and fourth room instruments would be missing.

edit - file reattached - it may be a w-i-p, I should still send out one that's technically possible to beat!
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Can't wait to see how the whole thing turns out.
Last edited by Chdata 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

I put in the fix you made, and took the liberty to fill in a couple more holes between the megaspikes. In case you didn't know, the triangular tiles at the end of those are walk-through.

Also, is the second level itself finished? Apart from the music, I mean. And about the music: If I can only find a decent MIDI of the main SMW theme, I can port it back to a format SMW recognizes and make versions that are missing instruments. All that will be later, though; I am not putting the music in until I have all the levels ready.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Yeah, the fireflower is on purpose. It's more of an extra hit really, even if I find the jumps easier small.

YCZ - I find feedback on the second level before I consider done. Especially on aesthetics, since to me it's an important aspect to it.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I like this second room!
The first part with all the spiny's and lakitu is kinda tricky and I only had to use savetates a bit (I made it so that I have to go back to the start)
I suggest making the skinnier tree trunks so that mario appears before them and not behind them.

But what I really liked was the second part, with the line world thing!!!! I partially managed to fishing ghost hop through some parts ( you could raise up the invisible note blocks or sumtin I can't think of how to fix that) though I didn't get too far fish ghost hopping. The falling through invisible tree trunks thing made it more interesting. Did you intend that?

the 3rd part with the thing where you can only partially see stuff was interesting, though I had to abuse save states the first time, second time I did fine. Luckily I could see about one line of pixels for his feet in some parts.

The swimming one... eeeeeeeee it's ok in difficulty, you pretty much wait at the corner of the screen and swim over stuff when you need to so I didn't need to abuse save states. The boxyness... I don't care about that but others might not think that's too good. There are also some things with the sprite limits but I'm no good at that stuff either. I had to restart at the midpoint because of time but when I went to the pipe exit...

I don't appear anywhere and die????

and with the midway point when you first enter are you supposed to go out of the pipe? because the horizontal pipe entrance is below it

Still, that stuff with the palletes you did is better than anything I can do. How'd you do that stuff? like with the yellow, red, and blue levels, and the line world.