(shouting)

An Untitled Story-Rebelling by exploring like a penguin

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crimson

Re: An Untitled Story-Rebelling by exploring like a penguin

Post by Crimson »

You're rebelling against the ghost by wondering around, and you walk like a penguin. (Not so sure on that last part)
GauRocks

Post by GauRocks »

Crimson wrote:You're rebelling against the ghost by wondering around, and you walk like a penguin. (Not so sure on that last part)
A penguin is a type of flightless bird. Not exactly fitting for "the egg game." The only way this topic title would make any sense is if there were some way to hatch your egg and become some kind of generic flightless bird.

Oh well, they can't all be winners.
retrogamer

Post by retrogamer »

GauRocks wrote: A penguin is a type of flightless bird. Not exactly fitting for "the egg game."
I like to think of him as some kind of albino kiwi.
Time Traveler

Post by Time Traveler »

I was actually kinda surprised at how long it took you to figure out that you needed to stab the mummy guy with his own sword. Maybe it's just because I've fought other bosses in other games with the same gimmick? Also, way to be a jerk to Bartholomew. :|
Lutukor

Post by Lutukor »

Hey, it took me a lot longer than him to figure out the boss's weak point. I thought the sword just flew around, when it fell to the floor you had to jump on the sword and hit the guy or something. I tried to do that for a while. It also took me a couple minutes to realize the final boss's first form requires this boss's gimmick as well. But then again, I was never good at adventure games.

edit:
Time Traveler wrote:Apparently there are some rooms in the game where ghosts can't appear, such as boss rooms and areas where ghosts would be particularly horrible to have show up in.
Oh, man. I was scared during the entirety of Dark Grotto. You can't see where the hell you're going, and reading the journal didn't help things either, since the guy wrote down he started seeing the purple haze. I never saw any, but I don't know if the ghosts can appear in that area, because that would be just horrible.
Madacaek

Post by Madacaek »

Lutukor wrote:Oh, man. I was scared during the entirety of (an area)
I've never had ghosts appear there, but I was paranoid as hell too. It'd be the best thing if they couldn't actually appear there because that way you're just waiting and waiting for it to come and the suspense just kills you until you finally finish the area and breathe a sigh of relief.

The boss of that area though, goddamn. I think it's the only boss in the game that gives you positive reinforcement even when you're doing it wrong, IE you can pull off the first hit. It took me a LONG time to figure out that it wasn't just me sucking at the game and that I was actually doing it wrong, and I like to think of myself as being pretty good at figuring things out. :/
kamarla43

Post by kamarla43 »

Madacaek wrote:
Lutukor wrote:Oh, man. I was scared during the entirety of (an area)
I've never had ghosts appear there, but I was paranoid as hell too. It'd be the best thing if they couldn't actually appear there because that way you're just waiting and waiting for it to come and the suspense just kills you until you finally finish the area and breathe a sigh of relief.

The boss of that area though, goddamn. I think it's the only boss in the game that gives you positive reinforcement even when you're doing it wrong, IE you can pull off the first hit. It took me a LONG time to figure out that it wasn't just me sucking at the game and that I was actually doing it wrong, and I like to think of myself as being pretty good at figuring things out. :/
Ghosts do appear there. I always die if they appear there.
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

What is with these crazy ghosts anyway? they're really starting to freak me out. It's like oh man! I'm ghost, there for I'm going to take your soul away!
atruong18

Post by atruong18 »

"BIRDS SHOULD STAY AT SKY TOWN AND NEVER LEAVE! RETURN TO SKYTOWN. THIS IS YOUR FINAL WARNING."

basically something like that. so theyre out to get you while the other two guys we have met have been taken away by those ghosts already.

Dark Grotto, fireballs is the key.
Elemist315

Post by Elemist315 »

OMG first post, must spoil something!
<zomgspoilerz> You have to launch the cow with the refrigerator!!!</zomgspoilerz> That might be interesting actually, raocow LPing Earthworm Jim.
GauRocks wrote:There are several fun things you can do with those thwomp dudes.
I knew the first and third ones. The third one really helpedon the first room in strangecastle. But the second one I did not know. Mwa ha ha I look forward to quicker revenge than the ice and fire special!

I started watching raocow play this game, and I went ahead and grabbed it too, and completed it, though not the OCD form of completion. I have to say ever since the first ghost ambush sent me to the ceiling Sylvester-style, I was looking forward to raocow's reaction, and although it was great, I was sad we missed the moment on bad record pause timing. But the comentating still always great none the less, keep up the good work raocow!
atruong18

Post by atruong18 »

pretty lasers
GauRocks

Post by GauRocks »

m00npirate wrote:For anyone curious as to what sort of things raocow is missing by not playing on masterful:
Should have shown the room down and to the right. It took me an hour to figure out how to get through there without taking damage or waiting for the ability to walk on ceilings. Freaking three lasers per turret.

Oh, right, the list. Well I get to be lazy again, because only two new hearts became available as a result of raocow's new exporations, and he got two hearts in today's video. Guess which two. Come on, guess. I'll give you a hint: Today's list is EXACTLY the same.
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

I've had ghosts appear at DG. Whenever they came, I just... dropped the controller and waited for them to kill me.
Kei1ro

Post by Kei1ro »

I really, really loved playing the sky sand boss.
Playing touhou DOES help on that.
ImageImage
GauRocks

Post by GauRocks »

Kei1ro wrote:I really, really loved playing the sky sand boss.
Playing touhou DOES help on that.
But it is hardly required for enjoyment of that boss. I'd rate him second most fun to fight in the entire game, even without liking a single touhou (or any other danmaku) game. He feels the most "fair", in that if you take a hit, it's almost always because you did something totally preventable at your current level of skill. The only real "cheap shot" is when the sword stops right under you as you're coming down. Compare to the FireCage boss, where sometimes, you really just have to jump into one of his shots. Or Stonemaku Johnson™, who requires pretty much perfect timing on high difficulties, so you end up feeling "this pattern is too hard" instead of "I screwed up."

This, of course, excludes the first two bosses and the NightClimb ghost, because they are jokes. Actually, if you skip the cannon boss and instead just move on until you get the power of sticking to the roof, you can hang on the roof and literally never get hit by him.

Speaking of hanging from the roof, here's today's neat thing in image form! See if you can spot what's missing.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/433/ ... ething.png

No, that's not some bizarre glitch. That's the game's way of preventing you from getting the power to walk on ceilings before you have the power to stick to them. There's no save point there until you have gained the power to pretend to be a bat.
FRK

Post by FRK »

Wow O_O That's awesome discovery, GauRocks. But is it possible to get farther shots upgrade before beating the cannon boss? I kinda forgot where Farther Shots upgrade was, so...
VladTheEater

Post by VladTheEater »

I wasn't sure until recently but I'm glad raocow is playing on Difficult for his first time. I did the same and while it was definitely living up to the name "difficult" it was so thrilling to win.

I likewise had a lot of fun fighting the sword-mummy.

The way raocow was playing when he first got to the boss, though, I couldn't help but think of this:

http://i32.tinypic.com/2wqwqs7.jpg
End of Line
GauRocks

Post by GauRocks »

FRK wrote:Wow O_O That's awesome discovery, GauRocks. But is it possible to get farther shots upgrade before beating the cannon boss? I kinda forgot where Farther Shots upgrade was, so...
Fairly easy, in fact. It's the expensive one in SkyTown. But you still can't shoot if you do it in that order - you need the power to shoot fire before you can shoot at all. Makes sense, actually. Also, you have to pick up Shoot Fire before Shoot Ice. The red energy that lets you jump up to the boss guarding DeepDive/FireCage doesn't appear until you beat the NightClimb ghost, and there's no way into NightClimb without being able to shoot fire.
Patashu

Post by Patashu »

VladTheEater wrote:The way raocow was playing when he first got to the boss, though, I couldn't help but think of this:

http://i32.tinypic.com/2wqwqs7.jpg
Haha, I'm glad someone else was thinking of that too.
Tprevie

Post by Tprevie »

I started using a controller and I now have FIVE gold orbs. I've gone to Highlands, Blankland (which was REALLY trippy), LongBeach, Dark Grotto, BLACK CASTLE, The Curtain, and The Bottom
This signature. This signature. This signature. This signature. This signature is an eyesore.
Lutukor

Post by Lutukor »

Man, raocow totally just went past the dig team's camp site. I was hoping he'd get there so he could read the foreshadowing journal. Oh well, it's not completely necessary. And the water snake/dragon boss was actually one of the last bosses I beat, I couldn't figure out how to not die when you hit his weak point.
cc12321

Post by cc12321 »

The DarkGrotto was one of the most annoying areas for me, basically because the first time i came through it, the ghosts came for me in the thwomp room, while i was still looking for the pit to fall through. As for the Gear dragon, he is quite easy once you get the hang of getting over him, just treat his weak point as though it was the bandit from before the death clock.;)
. /_\ May the Force
/_\/_\ Be With You
Time Traveler

Post by Time Traveler »

No matter how many times I play this game, every time I make it to the Dark Grotto I always manage to forget about those thwomps in the second room. I run straight into them, get killed, and fall out of my chair in shock.

Also, that thing you thought was a "laser thing" was actually a pickaxe stuck in a rock. And the "switch" was actually a shovel.
Tprevie

Post by Tprevie »

I just beat IceCastle and explored most of Skylands, and also found RainbowDive. Oh. and DeepTomb as well.
This signature. This signature. This signature. This signature. This signature is an eyesore.
Crimson

Post by Crimson »

Oh wow, you could use the fire to light up small bits at a time?

The return of the red guy was one of my favourite bosses. Annoying as hell at first, but fun and not that hard once you work out what to do. (Although it's probably hard all the way on difficult, I noticed that his pattern for each hit is shifted up one from regular)