(shouting)

raocow's thread -mention me raocow!!!!

it came, it went! all the old ASMT stuff is here
Kristian

Re: raocow's thread

Post by Kristian »

Daarkbuu wrote:Holy crap raocow, yah think you made it hard enough :shock: could you do it without save states?
Yeah, Rao, buddy-boy.

I had to freakin' abuse saves!

My first reaction: What the hell is this?!
Then once you got to the shell jumping part I was continually saying, "dammit, raocow!"
Then I quit after the midway point, because I used the P-switch at the wrong spot and my rewinds wouldn't go back far enough.

So yeah, it's a well designed level, just too freakin' hard!
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
prsnth1111

Post by prsnth1111 »

Alright, well now that I know my suckiness was not the only reason I failed constantly on that level, let me restate my previous opinion to OMG that was hard. Were you actually able to play through without savestates, raocow???
Kiniko

Post by Kiniko »

I think the difficulty of that level speaks for itself. I have a feeling raocow will be playing through this hack with savestates. :lol:
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'm thinking of balancing it with blue and red 'switch blocks' (in both respective rooms), so at least the 'raw' versions remain available if you are insane or something (I can do each room independantly without savestates, but I never tried 'the whole thing', I have to admit, hah..!)

Oh yeah I got videos to upload.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

Ooh, I want to try the level now, since you guys say it's so hard. Be back in a few minutes.

EDIT: Alright, back. That level was HELL without savestates. I had to do a cheap trick with the rewind three times.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

I still don't understand what makes the garbled glitched graphics other than 'game doesn't like secondary exits into vertical stages' so I removed the midpoint and added another way of regetting a shell for the red room.

More importantly, I've added 'safety cushions' that you gain by beating the blue and red switch, and in some parts it totally changes what you are meant to do - I think that is pretty neat?

edit - I did one of the allegidly hardest stages in the smwcentral hard hack pack that's not the bonus stage. I don't know why I'm conditioned to do such high difficulty!
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Is that the final version, as in I should insert it into the base ROM?

Also, about the vertical level BG garbage, setting the vertical scrolling rate (found under the fish button) to None usually gets rid of it. If that doesn't work, you might have to move the midpoint one screen up or down, as SMW doesn't like vertical level entrances on odd-numbered screens.
raocow

Post by raocow »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:Is that the final version, as in I should insert it into the base ROM?
I'd like to have some feedback on the changes, but unless it unleashes cerberus that would pretty much be the final thing!
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Though i could not finish without savestates and rewinds, i had a lot of fun working away at this level without switch blocks, and i feel it would lose some of the accomplishment felt if they stayed. Of course there's the issue of it becoming a different sort of challenge, as mentioned, and one doable without savestates. Would it be possible to put the level before any switch palaces, but not make it mandatory? So the challenge is open, but can be made easier if necessary.
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
raocow

Post by raocow »

flameofdoubt wrote:Would it be possible to put the level before any switch palaces, but not make it mandatory? So the challenge is open, but can be made easier if necessary.
That sounds like a neat idea, though I wonder if it's doable/wise/something.

Because yeah, without switchblocks it's a bit unreasonable, hahaha. DOABLE! But unreasonable!
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Mm, it strikes me now i may have in fact repressed from my memory some of the times i did... less well with the shell-hopping, though memorising the megaspikes wasn't all that hard, i just died a lot in the process.

My other suggestion though was going to be to add/change the no-yoshi sign to a yes-savestates sign;

but i have a feeling that may not be quite the right solution either, for a variety of reasons.
Last edited by flameofdoubt 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Kiniko

Post by Kiniko »

That's a fantastic idea, don't know how practical it is, though
prsnth1111

Post by prsnth1111 »

Well I think it's a bit pointless... I mean people who use savestsates will use them anyways, and people who don't, won't. It's more their personal decision and the game allowing them to use savestates doesn't really change that.
Kiniko

Post by Kiniko »

Maybe it shouldnt be for like, use savestates, but perhaps just like a "Thing ahead" sort of warning sign to let you know if a level is going to be a thing
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Oh it would definitely be pointless, but a "Thing ahead"-type sign would be a Nice Touch, and Nice Touches help up the quality, which is always a good thing.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Maybe someone could resprite the world number signs to something that looks like a danger sign and put it by the level
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Something like this...?

Kiniko

Post by Kiniko »

Actually, he meant the signs of the overworld that went beside the castles originally, that said the number.

I do like the IF YOU GO IN THIS LEVEL YOU ARE GOING TO BE ATTACKED BY ARROWS sign, though
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Well bother, i wondered if it was something like that, now i feel like a right wolly.
raocow

Post by raocow »

flameofdoubt wrote:Something like this...?

I'd still be neat to change the standard sign the hack. Just because we can.
Thissa

Post by Thissa »

flameofdoubt wrote:My other suggestion though was going to be to add/change the no-yoshi sign to a yes-savestates sign;

I love this. Yeah, people are going to use savestates if they want to, but mayyyyyybe they'll feel a little more guilty about it. Maybe :)

But I agree with raocow, whether it goes to this or not, it should be changed anyway because we can and because you rarely see it changed in hacks.
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

Hahaha, wow, changing the sign would be just awesome.

EDIT: Here's an idea, how about on hard levels we have the "!" sign.
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I literally figured out how to change graphics 2 days ago

I don't like the arrows, but I didn't know what else to make. Tell me something and I'll do it. But yeah, this is what I was talking about
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
raocow

Post by raocow »

http://www.viddler.com/explore/GVirusG/videos/3/

oh man! GVirusG playing the first version, without the added switch-blocks. The problem where he had is a place he didn't really 'figure out', namely you ARE meant to preserve the coins and just hang around there while the disco punts the blocks, but I suppose it's not the clearest thing around when you pick the coins and savestate afterwards - you don't get a good 'view' of the room. Oh well!

so, mr Zeus, what exactly do I need to do to give you this level? Is the previous upload enough? I try to keep away from the other threads so I don't know if you have a thing set-up for this.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Yes, the previous upload should be enough. It doesn't include the music, but I won't insert that until much later anyway.

(I am kind of scared when it comes to playtesting this level, though...)