(shouting)

request grab-bag

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.

i am a dog weasel ?!

very yes
50%
yes
23%
no
16%
very no
11%

Total votes: 240

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: request grab-bag

Post by KobaBeach »

AmeijinMayo wrote: 10 months ago Etrian Odyssey 3
first off.

Haimari Moménto

second.

i dont think raocow is good enough at strategic decisions to play etrian odyssey. im not either i just constantly make new endless amounts of adventurers in wizardry to just shove into the gaping maw that is the dungeon in trebor's shitty ass basement that werdna is just smoking weed and playing dislyte and honkai in

he plays for like the old men in the former and that one girl's adoptive robot dad in the latter. he's like a billion years old and at some point you just become pancurious
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'm *pretty sure* actraiser and soulblazer are in the bucket? the latter I know it is, I added it recently. the other two aren't because they're dependent on the previous game or something?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Kshaard
Dodo/
First name: mac5565
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Kshaard »

As far as I know, there's no lore connection between the three games.

(Terranigma is one of my potential royal picks, btw, out of sheer curiosity and a vague memory that it had some cool mode 7 nonsense going on)
This is someone's signature.

"I don't like that universe I just created by accident . . ."
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yeah but they're like.. thematically linked, no?

for what it's worth, 'game dependency' doesn't matter for royals so don't be afraid to propose it!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Post by AmeijinMayo »

alrighty, sounds good
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
Donut

Post by Donut »

I actually thought about Etrian Odyssey when raocow's thoughts on Paper Mario came out, and I think while it would certainly be the very dynamic, nuanced, skill-heavy RPG he felt Paper Mario wasn't, all the other parts of RPGs he doesn't like would be on full display instead, like long bouts of gameplay in between plot, repeated encounters, and very deliberate pacing (not to mention the high potential of a Valdis Story if one doesn't plan out their builds ahead of time). It is my second-favorite video game series of all time but I would never subject him to it knowing he would almost certainly have a bad time.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

raocow wrote: 10 months ago I'm *pretty sure* actraiser and soulblazer are in the bucket? the latter I know it is, I added it recently. the other two aren't because they're dependent on the previous game or something?
:pray: thank you satan
Donut wrote: 10 months ago I actually thought about Etrian Odyssey when raocow's thoughts on Paper Mario came out, and I think while it would certainly be the very dynamic, nuanced, skill-heavy RPG he felt Paper Mario wasn't, all the other parts of RPGs he doesn't like would be on full display instead, like long bouts of gameplay in between plot, repeated encounters, and very deliberate pacing (not to mention the high potential of a Valdis Story if one doesn't plan out their builds ahead of time). It is my second-favorite video game series of all time but I would never subject him to it knowing he would almost certainly have a bad time.
I feel like the thing with Paper Mario is like. He just doesn't like menu simulators. So I feel like command based RPGs and visual novels are a no go unless like maybe the visual novel is especially funny (Hatoful Boyfriend?). Also as for "high potential", it'd be like /guaranteed/, don't lie to yourself lol
Image Image
Donut

Post by Donut »

I dunno, I'm playing through Nexus with a rotating party of every class (minus Farmer because come on) and most of the respecs I did were just to account for subclasses being unlocked and to remove obsolete early game skills. It's all about playing smart, which I appreciate about Atlus RPGs. That said I can agree that the menus are probably part of what raocow doesn't like dealing with.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

KobaBeach wrote: 10 months ago I feel like the thing with Paper Mario is like. He just doesn't like menu simulators. So I feel like command based RPGs and visual novels are a no go
(friendly reminder to everyone that megaman battle network doesn't have this problem)
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

let's not

anyway raocow what do you think abt playing like the nes version of rygar or zillion on master system (zillion has only one life and no continues, so use savestates)
Image Image
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

Kilgamayan wrote: 10 months ago
KobaBeach wrote: 10 months agoI feel like the thing with Paper Mario is like. He just doesn't like menu simulators. So I feel like command based RPGs and visual novels are a no go
(friendly reminder to everyone that megaman battle network doesn't have this problem)
yeah but the first game is also a terrible game to start the franchise with and also has a guaranteed half-episode right when things are getting "good", and baffle network is one of those series where things don't make a lot of sense out of order (Granted there's a lot of stuff that still doesn't make sense even with the context of previous games but still).

If you're going to play a single battle network game in isolation, I would suggest either 2 or 6 (3 is a much better game than 2 but it builds upon 2 too much to be enjoyable in isolation, and even though 6 is the grand finale of the franchise it could have been its own game anyway). If you're only playing to the final boss and credits sequence then 4 is also an option (it has a bad reputation but most of its problems boil down to "the postgame requires beating the main game three times in a row")
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

raekuul wrote: 10 months ago 4 is also an option (it has a bad reputation but most of its problems boil down to "the postgame requires beating the main game three times in a row")
im thinking of doing this but staggering my playthroughs so it'll probably be the last new bn thing i wind up doing. possibly after op shooting star

i'll continue bn1 soon. i also would not recommend bn1 if for anything then just the unbalanced random encounter difficulty. it's an issue i also had with the original psx version of popolocrois 1 (not to be confused with like half of popolocrois psp, the other half being popolocrois 2 and an original sidestory), but i feel like bn1 has it worse. thankfully bn1 lets you save anywhere which is a plus, but it's best to use savestates for quicker iteration time.
Image Image
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Post by AmeijinMayo »

KobaBeach wrote: 10 months ago let's not

anyway raocow what do you think abt playing like the nes version of rygar or zillion on master system (zillion has only one life and no continues, so use savestates)
Rygar's a grand ol' time, one that I think is well worth dabbling with. I think it's last port was on the Wii's virtual console, but I'd straight up just recommend playing the arcade version or famicom release
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

raekuul wrote: 10 months ago
Kilgamayan wrote: 10 months ago
KobaBeach wrote: 10 months agoI feel like the thing with Paper Mario is like. He just doesn't like menu simulators. So I feel like command based RPGs and visual novels are a no go
yeah but the first game is also a terrible game to start the franchise with
this is true of way more video game franchises than it is not true of

(my post was not meant to be taken seriously as a "hey raocow play battle network" post anyway, i am fully aware that nothing i do will make it happen any faster than it is already planned to happen (which is entirely possibly never and that is fine))
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

more like fartle network (fart + bartle)
Kilgamayan wrote: 10 months ago this is true of way more video game franchises than it is not true of
it isn't true of ys but he shouldn't play ys /partiallyjokingpartiallyserious

Maybe Ys 8 and 9? Those are like 40 hours long but grinding isn't necessary from what I've heard (still have to do Felghana, Origins, 7, Celceta, and 2 Special, and Strategy, and Typing), Ys 10 and whatever remake of 5 they wanna make are still not out but I'd imagine they'd be the same. Ys 9 does feel kinda weak from what I've heard, but I also heard its gameplay is just fine.

I found a Japanese site for low level playthroughs of Ys 6, and I'm gonna maybe do that after I beat Majunun later this year or so (need to see if I can make the grind less shitty or if I have to do Catastrophe) because it sounds absurdly funny and pointless.

I actually really like Ys 5 for some unhinged reason so I'm interested in a version of 5 that is better tailored for mass consumption than a weird in between of Ys I-IV era grind heavy but short length sensibility, but also console RPG gameplay structure (Town A -> Problem A -> Solve Problem -> Town B -> Problem B) with like a fucked up 12800¥ ($99.16 in US monopoly money, today) price point due to late era SNES cartridges. Also Falcom would probably make the action gameplay not clunky.

The art might be less to my taste in a remake, more modern mainstream anime style, but hey, that's just how it be. I should be bumping the Falcom thread for this nonsense instead of posting here... Sorry, I'm a bit absorbed in Legend of Heroes II's PC98 version. Chapter 3 of 5 ^^

--------------

Oh yeah, speaking of action RPGs, I wonder if raocow might like Trials of Mana's 3D version? 2D is a bit too clunky so it wouldn't be up to his tastes. Pardon the backseating, but I'd suggest using a party equipped with Healing Light otherwise the game may be too hard, though I haven't played the 3D version in a while and you can actually avoid magic in that one, and I think 3D also doesn't "roll" for whether your attack hits or not (Mana is a weird series, and so are a lot of early ARPGs, haha).

Charlotte would be best to have in your party as she starts with Healing Magic and her speech tick would probably piss raocow off, while having only Duran or Kevin out of the three healers, would make them have to go for their Light classes asap to even be able to cast that magic in the first place.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

no bad rpg.

just happy pride month.

EDIT: MAYBE play quintet on master system but i think it's pretty punishing too. thankfully you don't have 100 featureless stages in an attempt to do gauntlet but sidescrolling like in arcade, but alas. only 2 player.

play nes tengen gauntlet too, fuck it
Image Image
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

ano0maly wrote: 1 year ago Can Minecraft be crossed out of the "do not suggest" games now?

Really at this point the whole list can be excised to show Argumentable how dated his post is :rao:
You should suggest every game on there then
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

Argumentable wrote: 9 months ago
ano0maly wrote: 1 year ago Can Minecraft be crossed out of the "do not suggest" games now?

Really at this point the whole list can be excised to show Argumentable how dated his post is :rao:
You should suggest every game on there then
trying to imagine someone making a romhack for the sake of 1 forum post that exists as a joke directed at another forum post from over a decade ago and, honestly, we almost wanna see them try JUST to see that happen,
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

raocow you should play Commercial Games it's a classic tbh
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

raocow should play the dragon & princess for the pc88 by koei
Image Image
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

raocow should play a video game
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

raocow should play a trumpet
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

raocow please replay vip 1-6 again for the express purpose of spiting grounder
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

play typing of the ys

even if "all the ys" never happens, you went to a lot of trouble to set it up in particular
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

play the unhinged nightwolve translation patch that replaces several of the words with like "fuck xseed" "deucebag" "xseed is poo poo pee pee"
Image Image