(shouting)

A Hat in Time Death Wish - Wishing for Peace and Tranquility

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Tenlade

Re: A Hat in Time Death Wish - Wishing for Peace and Tranquility

Post by Tenlade »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago i mostly just think that a game making a reference to a very specific touhou meme that is in turn a reference to a like. humiliation fetish manga that was a meme on The BBS Formerly Known As 2channel? that most people won't get unless they're turbo nerds, is like baby shit compared to some of the downright juvenile shit some old pc games used to do with like comparing you selecting very easy mode to being a literal child by placing a picture of the protag as a little baby next to it

i don't really mean any insult

i play bravely default exclusively on easy mode because normal and hard is Outright Abysmal but also enjoy Shiren and SaGa and FromSoft bullshit
eh, memes over a decade old at this point, obscure now anyway,(the Sa forums had it as an emote, so cant have been that obscure). plus most games changed how difficulty works besides just a setting you toggle. Honestly the worst old games did was lock you out of the 2nd half of the game on easy and say "now play it for real"

Anyway I wouldnt say death wish makes the game lesser. A normally easy game actually challenging you can be fun even to casual players,and peace and tranqulity does lower it to a more reasonable level for non-experts, shoulda just been the baseline with a "press y if you have a deathwish" option
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Tenlade wrote: 1 year ago Honestly the worst old games did was lock you out of the 2nd half of the game on easy and say "now play it for real"
honestly, that's straight up the worst part of eosd (and working designs' localization of thunder force 5) because it defeats the purpose of an easy mode in a shmup, specifically
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

It's funny, because cow saying "you go from a game where everything's loosely there to something that expects perfect mastery of all the systems" immediately reminded me of SMW mods.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Down to the last couple, and of those I needed P&T for
all of them! :D
So I wonder how rao will do in comparison. :3
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

you aint gonna like the next boat world mission either
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Of all the time rifts in this game, the only part of any of them I even vaguely remembered before replaying this game was the lava area in this one, presumably because it gave me a lot of trouble. Now that I've completed the game again (except death wish, also, I just realized I didn't do the very last time rift) I'd say the last part of this time rift contains some of the hardest platforming in the main game. I'm not surprised raocow went with the strategy of just collecting enough pons to skip that part; I even did that myself when I had to redo this rift because I missed one of the pages.

I don't blame raocow for using peace and tranquility here, because this life system seems pretty dumb to me. I can appreciate playing something really difficult, but that's only if I have the freedom to attempt it as much as I like. Maybe they had good intentions and they wanted to avoid the vicious cycle where someone gets frustrated, causing them to start playing worse, causing them to get more frustrated, and so on. But even if that's the case, I think three lives is nowhere near enough. Plus, I feel like taking a break to de-stress is the type of thing someone has to decide to do for themself; you can't just force someone to take a break and expect them to be happy with it.

HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I think, seeing what everyone has said regarding their own experiences with Death Wish, and just how this LP has been going, I was justified in deciding against doing Death Wish. It's nice for people that want a challenge (when you aren't locked out of it because game design) but definitely not for me.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Rift Collapse: Deep Sea
When it came to this death wish, I had personally reached a rather huge LP fatigue state, coupling that with a stupid lives mechanic and a short timer and I decided very fast to just cut my losses and take P&T on this time rift. All in all the lives system for death wish is the stupidest thing they could have kept in the game, locking the player out if they fail three times is exceedingly counter productive to getting better at said thing.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

honest suggestion

do the last candle, call death wish done, and move on with a misery-free final note

hard mode mustache girl isn't worth it, and the final level is also not worth it because

it's just a turbo boss rush

if you absolutely feel the need to do the last alpine level, it won't be the worst thing, but it'd also just be dragging this out :ehh:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

while I mostly agree, I agree that I should at least, like, look at everything, right?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

Yes
fart.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

This one is the one I remember most out of all the death wishes. I remember having a really difficult time here even when the layout of the ship was fresh in my mind. When I was replaying this part in the main game and I realized: "raocow's going to have to do this after not seeing the ship for... however long it's been" I knew he was going to have a bad time here. Between the video and the description it seems pretty clear that this just isn't the type of thing that raocow enjoys, so I don't blame him for not wanting to do this one.

Also, when I replayed this in the main game there was a trail of arrows showing the way to the "next" objective (how it determines what's next, I don't know) that definitely wasn't there when I first played this game; I figured that it would show up here upon activating peace and tranquility, but apparently there just isn't peace and tranquility for this one? That's certainly a decision.

ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

It's fine if you forgo this level (the original Ship Shape was already hard), but I want to point out a few important things:

1. Peace and Tranquility does exist on this level. And you don't have to let the level kill you to unlock it - just manually restarting a level counts, too. I don't know why it didn't activate while within the level, but maybe check in the Death Wish map? (The fandom wiki just says "enough times" instead of explicitly 3 times. I don't know if that's relevant.)

According to this reddit post, activating it

reduces the task count from 40 to 30 (and of course you don't have to do the bonus of doing 70), which does help because later tasks get faster

2. In places where there's not a lot of room to run with the sprint hat, you can try switching to the time stop hat. Viewers have reminded in some videos that time stop hat would have helped in those levels, and this may be one of those cases.

3. Don't worry if the level doesn't end after you complete enough tasks, because

this is meant to be an endless level. Just let the captain timer expire and you win.

"There's no end in sight" hints at this.

4. This seems like a good time to repost this: there's a secret Death Wish in this level that does not require beating the level. You just need to enter the ship and access this separate challenge. (Ship Shape in chapter 6 of the base game works too.)

The goal:

kick the 6 cans into the reception counter where the 2 seals are to beat the challenge.

After the first two the game confirms that this is a new Death Wish. I'm mentioning this because you did the secret train challenge in Nyakuza Metro but I don't recall if this challenge in the ship was done three years ago.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

appreciating all of that

I'll note the thing about the cans but I don't think it's going to be this run. I'm just kind of... burning out on hat time, for now, you know? but one day I know I'll return to experience some workshop levels as I heard there's a lot of good stuff in there. that would be a good time for can kicking, maybe.
raocow

Post by raocow »

though I don't know, it seems like it could be pretty chill...
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

The boat. Oy. The boat. Shoo go away boat.

I used P&T on this one, do I even need to explain why? :P

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: A Hat in Time Death Wish - Wishing for Death

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 1 year ago I'm dreading this turning into a second Pantheon of Hallownest but cautiously optimistic for now
I am no longer dreading and I am no longer optimistic. While it's not been as bad as it could've been, I'm not sure I could call this "good" in good faith.
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

Looks like Copy Kitty ended just in time for this game to become Copy Kitty!
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

cancel the playthrough and play gungrave
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Yup. EX Mustache girl. You had basically the same thoughts I did when I did it. It's hectic but doable up til the panic phase, and then becomes and absolute mess to interpret and understand, and there's nearly no way to avoid taking damage without just getting lucky. Overall a mess to deal with and one I was very content to use P&T on after a while.

Also yeah, you should be able to just retry on the boat til hopefully P&T shows up then just do that one off camera to get it out of the way. I recall it being much more doable that way, though... I think it was still challenging. Which says something about that one. :P

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

TheFunPolice

Post by TheFunPolice »

Mustache Girl EX. The bane of video encoders everywhere. This level got a few small nerfs to certain attacks, but overall is pretty similar to release.

Since we didn't see them in the video, here are the two bonus objectives:

1. Beat the Hyper Zone (rainbow arena) in under 3 minutes.
This is mainly a desperate dash through and can be helped with copious amounts of potion hat spam.
2. No hat abilities.
The general theme to avoiding all attacks, especially on the last phase, is to jump and stall in the air whenever you see the laser charging and justkinda hope.

Here's a video of somebody doing the run without hat abilities, without getting hit:

Timestamps:
Start of run: 4:03
Hyper Zone: 4:43
Final phase: 7:00

Also raocow, if you ever decide to try the ship death wish again, having a good route really helps. Since the tasks dont end until the meter fills, people have tried to see how far they can go, so watching how they path might help. Current WR is 250 Tasks.
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

pick up that can 2.png
pick up that can 2.png (142.17 KiB) Viewed 889 times
Welcome! Welcome to the secret Death Wish. You have chosen, or been chosen, to participate in one of our finest recycling enterprises...
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

That last bit of platforming is today's video is out in the middle of nowhere,and having no straight camera angles and no nearby cliffside for reference makes it an absolute nightmare of depth perception.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

tomorrow: willing hubris
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage