(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by KobaBeach »

Persona 1 - Beat it last night :rao: :rao: :rao:

Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II - So I made it past Bael's Castle, but I overleveled due to the generous EXP gains around Shinjuku and it made beating the Kourakuen tournament to get the Sun Pillar, super hard. So I'm just restarting and working my way back.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Revelations: The Demon Slayer: Up to the Orthrus event. Except I've been going out of my way to upfuse my monsters so that I can run through basically the entire list as I go (which aside from being a good name test is not actually "A Thing" I'd done with this game yet - the recruit buffer is wider than the fusion buffer and all monsters are fused as their base form so the only real advantage of fusion over recruitment is the chance to get a Fusion Accident... and you can't re-fuse Fusion Accidents so you eventually have to get rid of them), Orthrus eats a recruitment slot, and I don't know if I can refuse/dismiss him. So... yeah, this gon' be fun.

Xenoblade 3: I'm level 50 and still at the start of Chapter 4. Give me a sandbox like this and I will start digging.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Practical
aaaaaahhhHHHH
First name: jay
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Practical »

HamsterZerg wrote: 2 years ago
Practical wrote: 7 years ago I'm playing Spore right now, I've played it about ten times already and I'm getting better at the Civilization stage.
Dude, Spore! I can't believe I'm not the only one here who's played that game!

Yes, I know I'm responding to a really old comment, but how many Space Stage archetypes have you played as?
This is an extremely long gap between replies lol
Iirc I got to the Space Stage twice; I've played as Wanderer, Ecologist, and Scientist
Tone indicators : /j= joking, /srs= serious, /lh= light-hearted, /s= sarcastic
Get it, Let it roll!
[/b]My main YT: https://www.youtube.com/c/ChicaMario64/featured
krakin.carrd.org
My Switch friend code: SW-1004-3051-8456
http://www.n-masters.com/mariokartlicen ... p?id=11224

selective mutism is a nuisance
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II - At Ginza. Balaam actually knocked out the protag and a few demons, gotta prepare for Basilisk. Looking back on it the underground mall in SMT1's Shinjuku reminds me a lot of the underground mall in MT2's Ginza. Feel like Tarukaja isn't as strong in this game?

Sonic the Hedgehog - Replay for relaxation. Got all the emeralds by Spring Yard 3 with the help of Sonic Retro's maps and wound up only losing like four lives, had like 3 by the end of the game. Labyrinth 3's boss cut it close. Beat it in roughly one hour?

EDIT: Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II - Destroyed Basilisk, destroyed Pazuzu, destroyed Mammon, recruited Cerberus, won the Sun Pillar. Finally, world peace has been achieved :) Will work on the whole Ikebukuro Sunshine 60 Building and LOSARM questline tomorrow

:slow:

------------------

One day later:

EDIT 2: Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II - Did everything but Bael's Castle in Tokyo. Will work on gaining Macca for equipment and recruiting demons to prepare for Bael and Tiamat. Protag and Heroine are currently like Lv56.

Two days later:

EDIT 3: Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II - Working on upgrading the Hero and Heroine's equipment in the Valley of Sorrow. I'm savescumming to avoid Level Down attacks from Vetala. Hero (Hideto) is done so far. Also I typo'd the Heroine's name as Rossana instead of Rosanna. I had a schoolmate with that name so please forgive me, "Megaten Protag Non-Canon Name Police".

Torneko no Daibouken: Fushigi no Dungeon - Second shop upgrade. Apparently Outside Scrolls spawn in Floor 20 guaranted but it's a bit hard to make it there. Furthest I've made is Floor 8. I'll keep practicing and taking my time. Managed to find one early once, but it was in a Monster House.

Devil May Cry - At Mission 04. Man I'm bad at this. Unlocked Air Raid and Stinger Lv1. Gonna grind a bit more to unlock a few more stuff and restock on Yellow Orbs before moving on with Nero Nelo Angelo.
Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Been a few weeks since last update. Work's bogging me down, plus I try to hang out with friends when I can.

Finished up all the levels of Shift Happens with my friend. The bonus levels were interesting because they were autoscrollers, but they were autoscrollers done pretty well. A proper hectic pace without filler gaps. Of course, we didn't full-clear the levels. Still, it was good fun.

Finally got into AM2R. It's a very interesting take on Metroid 2, to say the least. I won't go too deep into commentary here, but I will make a critique: The game, for some reason, has extremely high directional sensitivity, particularly on analog stick. The way my thumb moves the stick, it ends up landing at about 80-85/275-280 degrees (assuming up is 0 degrees in a circle). Typically, in a 2D side-scrolling game, moving the stick at that angle is merely just going left or right. In AM2R, though, if you move the stick slightly above true left/right (270/90), it assumes you're aiming diagonally upward. So I can't shoot straight while moving on analog stick, because my gun arm keeps aiming in the wrong direction. I've had to use D-Pad to play properly, which isn't bad, per se, but it's annoying that I have to do that regardless. In any event, game is going pretty well. I'm about 2/3rds of the way through the game, so we'll see how things pan out.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Xenoblade 3 - I'm level 55 and the plot is level 30. I might be a tad overleveled.

Revelations: The Demon Slayer - accidentally saved over my save file so now I'm playing through the first half of the game again but with stronger magic this time. That's a bunch of upfuses I'm never getting back; on the plus side I learned that you don't have to accept Orthrus into your party so you're allowed to do a game where you only use fusable monsters.
thatguyif wrote: 1 year agoAnalog sticks in 2D Games
I have never had good experiences with using analog sticks in 2D games; I had "okay" experiences with the Gamecube ports of the classic Zeldas but that's because the GC controller is notched 45° like N64 is so I can "at least" get unambiguous cardinals and simple diagonals. With X360 and NX controllers I'll think I'm hitting 45° but because there's no notching I'm probably hitting closer to 70°.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Finally gave Shantae: Risky's Revenge a little more time than a few minutes in a session by going nearly an hour and beating the first main dungeon. Fun stuff so far, albeit a little simplistic.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II - Working on upgrading the Heroine's equipment in the Angry Village (i'd really go with "Village of Rage" than anything, but I'm not DDS). This is gonna take a while so I'm taking breaks from time to time. Beat Asmodai and Belial, gonna do Moloch and Belphegor (and Echidna) next. Not a fan of how the bistro has (cw: slur)

shemale

liver or whatever as an ingredient on the UMA Platter. But there's no real way to make that look good, translation or otherwise.

Minelvaton Saga - Got the Holy Ship, found Ish, pulled up Keyblade999's messy guide, upgraded equipment at Shibai and Ish, recruited Gino, freed Arkasas (not Arkansas) from Zairas' rule and upgraded the shop at Olphan by getting the Roland Flame at the Tower of Fate. Gonna work on upgrading my equipment again, at least get Gino stocked up.

Fire Emblem 1 - Just binged the first 9 maps, no casualties due to savestates. Draug is at Lv20 by sheer accident. I managed to do Stage 8 legit this time due to bothering to use Draug and also recruiting Roger. So I just stuck them in a chokepoint near the spawn area, while one of the Mercenaries (Ogma or Navarre) handled water boy duty (getting the weapon refills to Draug) and Lena and Wrys were medics, healing the Armor Knights with a stock of Life Wands. Also took the time to stock Merric with Thunder spells to not overly rely on Excalibur.
Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

raekuul wrote: 1 year ago
thatguyif wrote: 1 year agoAnalog sticks in 2D Games
I have never had good experiences with using analog sticks in 2D games; I had "okay" experiences with the Gamecube ports of the classic Zeldas but that's because the GC controller is notched 45° like N64 is so I can "at least" get unambiguous cardinals and simple diagonals. With X360 and NX controllers I'll think I'm hitting 45° but because there's no notching I'm probably hitting closer to 70°.
I feel like good 2D (non twin-stick) games recognize directional sensitivity as important and adjust the analog stick accordingly to account for placement when it comes to the cardinal directions. Given this was a fan game, I'm not exactly surprised the devs failed to notice this being a factor. Still, it sucks.

In any event, done with AM2R. 100% item collection, 6 hour completion. I'm not upset at that time, it's my first go. It's a very interesting homage to the original 2, especially in terms of mechanics and intentions. It feels like the devs intended this not just to be a modernization of the original 2, but also an attempt to reconcile the original and Prime series. So many elements of the game pay homage to the Prime series. Still, the game is not without attention to detail, which I think is pretty cool. They really tried to work in elements of the original game that weren't possible in the Game Boy era, and that's nothing to sneeze at.

Though I have to wonder...the stinger at the end...was that in the original version of AM2R? Because it's almost shot-for-shot remake of the stinger in Samus Returns for the 3DS. And it feels like they just added that for consistency purposes.

Anyway...not sure what next. Work is swamping me the next couple weeks. I'm not quite ready to return to Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga to enter the whole Disney/Sequel/Rey Trilogy, and next big projects I'm also going to hold off until I 100% this game. Samus Returns will happen eventually, but not right now (maybe October). I may go through more of Going Under, which I've been playing on/off the last couple months and feels fitting to play given my job. But I suppose for now, the game I focus on is trying to perform RNG manipulation because fuck Redd and his art collection playing Animal Crossing: New Horizon.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i just deleted my fire emblem 1 rom because i want to never play it again. ever. never again. i will never play thsi game. this game is shit. fuck thsi game. terrible game for terrible people. i will kill shouzou kaga with my metal chainsaw dong
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Beat Shantae: Risky's Revenge in just a little over four hours. Got the game on a decent sale, so I felt like I got exactly what I was expecting out of it. Solid, but short time with this one. Not sure if I want to keep clearing out those kind of games or move on to a longer one yet. We'll see!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago i just deleted my fire emblem 1 rom because i want to never play it again. ever. never again. i will never play thsi game. this game is shit. fuck thsi game. terrible game for terrible people. i will kill shouzou kaga with my metal chainsaw dong
goddamn you shouzou kaga

goddamn you

i will not let this shit die

Fire Emblem 7 - At Chapter 14 after restarting for like the fifth time (I'm never playing without Tutorial Killer ever again), and working on balancing my party better in terms of levels. 13x was kind of easier because of this which I appreciate, compare it to like the five deaths I had last time. Florina (my sweet lesbian child) and Rebecca are also not made of wet tissue paper by leveling them up which is great! I'll advance with caution.

I guess I was just too used to SRPGs that let you overlevel a few characters and let them take care of the rest of the map, which imo, is not a bad design choice to let casuals in on the fun of SRPGs. Arc the Lad 1 can be beat with Arc alone because he's the ultimate Jack of All Trades, a literal Master of Everything, and I am absolutely slotting it next to Christmas NiGHTS as games I try to beat around Xmas because you can just beat it in 7 hours and it is so fun just beasting on everyone. Albert Odyssey 1 (not the Saturn game, the SNES game) has its own appeal because of its comfortable difficulty, you can get by by mostly brute forcing (the ending though, Oof).

Someone once brought up a comparison between the pre-Awakening and post-Awakening FEs in like Serene's Forest (I was lurking looking for guides and advice), that post-Awakening is more like Final Fantasy Tactics or Shining Force, the RPG part is accentuated. But pre-Awakening is more like a strategy game, the Strategy part is accentuated.

I will add that when I play the Summon Night SRPGs with house rules to "respect Brave Clears" or "do something similar to 3+'s Brave Clears in 1&2", I tend to have a ton of fun, as much as I do just levelling up in FFT and just going ham with abilities and classes or soloing as Arc in AtL1 as I've said, getting him to Lv60 and whatnot.

しかし・・・

Fire Emblem 1 - Okay this game is dummy stupid. The maps are absurdly huge and absurdly ass and it seems to be skewed towards giving you stronger units every map, bloating your roster to stupid levels? Also with stupid ass balancing because lol NES RPGs.

I'm gonna try to arena abuse more with savestates just for money making game if anything, nearly ran out of money last time because I forgot you could make money from that. Fuckers. I'm gonna try to balance my party here too, not overly rely on prepromotes (aside from Minerva because that bitch is Broken) and focus on a core roster to carry me through most of the game, recruits aside. I'm probably playing it wrong that way, but Jesus fucking Christ, this game is garbage.

iosh was right this is like. The Bad Kaga Game.

Final Fantasy VII - Replaying this to just rest from all the super hard games I'm playing recently, especially Fire Emblem, which my friend Amy/Saturn Moriya confirmed, is just made to stress you out as much as possible. She also told me to try Sealed Stones, which has grinding as a mechanic, which I might actually try after FE7. Aiaiai. Anyway I'm parked outside Aerith's house with her Burger King delivery after 1h30m clocked in-game (fast forwards used to get through Midgar at a brisk pace). I might try to finagle my way into getting a Gold Chocobo half-legitimately.

Blame my brother, but to me, it's not complete if Ultimate, Emerald and Ruby aren't six feet underground and Sepher Safer Sephiroth isn't defeated in three turns.

Can't wait to get to cycle through my ragtag bunch of misfits. Wish you could make a Cloud/Barret/Red/Tifa party, that's like my faves (minus Yuffie, but you can't remove Cloud). Aiming for Tifa date, my apologies Barret Boys, I'm a dirty CloTi shipper along with Cloud x Barret.
Image Image
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

I finished Xenoblade 3. Overall I really loved the game, but I HAVE to get this off my chest. I'm so conflicted. Spoilers for Xenoblade 3's endgame:
Xenoblade 3 is so weird to me. I really do love the game, but the final act is just filled with so much vague nonsense and unsatisfying endings that i thought I was playing Kingdom Hearts 3 for a second. The worst part is that I ADORED most of the game AND the side content; second best quests and side stuff in the series, just losing out to Xenoblade X. I loved the main cast and most of the supporting characters. Hell, I even really like the Consuls; their hammy villain schtick is fun and honestly fits the idea of some randos (that may have even been fucked up to begin with like D) suddenly gaining immense, world-changing power. However, I cannot for the life of me bring myself to care about N, M, and Z. N and M just felt like Jin and Lora's story but worse in every way, and Z being a concept was the most disappointing thing in the series for me since the Zanza reveal in 1. It sucks because while I love most of the game, it really fucks up in some crucial moments and with some crucial characters.

N was just a fucking asshole throughout the entire game. Unlike Jin with Lora, we practically never see him be nice to M. N's depicted as a manipulative abuser for the entire game, and even in the flashbacks where he's "good" it shows him robbing M of her agency. M was decent, but the whole premise of the past lives and how they can kinda remember them but also kinda not depending on the circumstances is so lame. It also never explains why Noah and Mio even exist if N and M were their past lives-turned Consuls, other than some vague notion at the end of N and M being "regret" while Noah and Mio are "hope", which somehow splits people in two, I guess. But then, I'm supposed to believe that they're the only ones that happened to?? Eunie and Ashera also had shitty past lives; why don't they get multiple versions of themselves? Plus, N's motivations barely even make sense, considering the fact that... why should he even care about his past lives? They're treated as entirely different people, as shown by Noah and Mio. He doesn't even remember them until Z shows them to him. Why would he even join Z if Z just shows how he was the one who made all of his lives a living hell to begin with? It's not like he turned rouge like Jin did, following his own rules. He just does a sudden heel-turn and sides with the villain. I felt absolutely nothing about their story, even if it was kinda nice to watch N get what he deserves after M is seen off.

Then we get to Z. Him being a vague concept is incredibly disappointing, and his presence barely even reflects what he's supposed to represent. He's basically the fear and anxiety of the souls in Origin about the worlds colliding, but why doesn't he display this? Why is he cool, calm, and collected instead of worrying or manic? Why is he shown to have an apathetic sadism, enjoying the torment he brings? Fear and anxiety aren't evil emotions, and he's supposed to embody those emotions. He's not a complex character dealing with that (in turn warping them to suit evil ends), he's LITERALLY that. He also has like no presence in the story too, just adding to the empty feelings. X and Y have more involvement in the story, and they barely have any to begin with, not to mention not even getting proper death cutscenes!!

Finally, we have the ending. Honestly, I'm totally cool with the worlds splitting again. It's bittersweet, but it leaves enough room for imagination and sequels that the worlds might merge properly next time. It's not really explained why defeating Z even splits the world again, and it would've made more sense to just continue the future in Aionois, but whatever. HOWEVER, finally we get the totally unnecessary post-credits scene where the game basically pulls a Sonic 06 and practically retcons the entire story, revealing that the entire game took place in the single moment of frozen time that was shown at the beginning. Why is this necessary at all? Not only does it bring back the stupid notion of maybe-maybe not remembering your past lives thanks to baby Noah hearing Mio's flute (do the past lives even exist in this "timeline" to remember in the first place??), but also basically renders everything we've done meaningless. It reminds me of Yakuza Kiwami 2 where there were just tons of twists for the sake of having twists, when half of them are confusing or just flat-out dumb and pure convenience. The idea behind Origin is cool, and honestly reminds me of the Lifehold in X. Even the aesthetics and dungeon were neat, and I legit thought they were gonna tie in the Ghosts from X into the story somehow due to all of the similar looking architecture and art direction, treating them as interdimensional beings or something (which would've been much cooler). However, everything here just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Even the picture of the Xenoblade 2 crew felt wrong. I'm honestly fine with Rex getting with Pyra and Mythra; poly relationship representation is cool. However, adding Nia to the mix was so lame. It ruins her biggest arc in 2, with her simply wanting acceptance from someone for who she is and receiving it from Rex and the party. When Rex essentially refers to her just as a friend, she even accepts that and says that's all she really wanted at the end of the day. ONE post-battle conversation in 2 with only the slightest hint that Rex might've misunderstood Nia is not enough to justify this imo, and also adding the kids and all that just feels off, as well.

I was also disappointed that there wasn't more references to 1 and 2. I'm not expecting Avergers-style cameos by any means. But, like, this game was advertised as the merging of the worlds from 1 and 2. We TECHNICALLY get that, but the thing is, none of it feels natural. We don't have any info on what happened to anybody. Everything regarding the worlds' histories are either treated with passing comments or not mentioned at all. The timeline of Aionios is also just all over the place. All of this just leaves more questions than answers, and not in a fun and speculative way like X. It just feels unsatisfying. Everything about the endgame just feels too vague and circumstantial to really pull off the finale.

Again, I really do love most of the game (and I finished it 100% as of writing this comment), but it's really unfortunate how it just does not tie everything together in the end well at all, imo.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Revelations: The Demon Slayer - So my Int/Speed team just beat the final boss; it turns out he takes extra damage from the "regular" spells. El still doesn't have a big enough MP pool to cast Force endlessly, though; I may have to go full Int to get that and if you neglect Speed you're going to have A Bad Time in the Sewer of Atlantis (stupid M.Eater and its stupid Tentarafoo). I've got a couple of dialog bits to update before I formally publish my "Modern Spell Names + Better Monster Names" mod (and I want to learn how to inject the Apostrophe into Baal's name so that he's properly Ba'al and not Ba-al). Anyway I think I know what stat builds I want to go with now.

Mario+Rabbids 1 - Back to playing Turn Golf. I was able to get that stupid "kill five monsters but we're only going to spawn the fifth one on the enemy's third turn" down to exactly three turns, so that was nice, and I was able to bring Chapter 2-4 (a toad escort mission) down to a lean seven turns.
KobaBeach wrote: 1 year agoBlame my brother, but to me, it's not complete if Ultimate, Emerald and Ruby aren't six feet underground and Sepher Safer Sephiroth isn't defeated in three turns.
To this day I've never beaten Ruby weapon.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

raekuul wrote: 1 year ago
KobaBeach wrote: 1 year agoBlame my brother, but to me, it's not complete if Ultimate, Emerald and Ruby aren't six feet underground and Sepher Safer Sephiroth isn't defeated in three turns.
To this day I've never beaten Ruby weapon.
Oh I don't blame you, YK has informed me that its defense is fucking broken and the only rational way to defeat it (at least without taking like five days) is to W-Summon (i read this as dual summon tbh, double is too clunky) Hades to stun it and KotR to inflict damage, which I did my first time because I just followed the Strategy section of its page on FF Wikia.

I'm absolutely not doing Emerald or Ruby without a Gold Chocobo, Ultimate is so much easier.

anyway uh

Fire Emblem 1 - this game is bad so im arena abusing most of my party to lv10 in ch4 to get more muns. fuck the police
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I've got Xenoblade Chronicles 3 in my Switch right now and let it do its update. I've never played it or anything in the series before but saw someone go through the second half of this game on a stream to the point where I think I'd enjoy it. Do I dare? Maybe.
KobaBeach wrote: 1 year agoFire Emblem 1 - this game is bad so im arena abusing most of my party to lv10 in ch4 to get more muns. fuck the police
Hmm. Surprised you're still going through with this since you clearly don't like it.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Bean wrote: 1 year ago
KobaBeach wrote: 1 year agoFire Emblem 1 - this game is bad so im arena abusing most of my party to lv10 in ch4 to get more muns. fuck the police
Hmm. Surprised you're still going through with this since you clearly don't like it.
1. i have shit taste

2. i am stubborn

3. i want to archive every rpg i've ever played on my stupid website
Bean wrote: 1 year ago I've got Xenoblade Chronicles 3 in my Switch right now and let it do its update. I've never played it or anything in the series before but saw someone go through the second half of this game on a stream to the point where I think I'd enjoy it. Do I dare? Maybe.
Are you gonna hunt down X on Wii U or emulate it? fair warning i think this series is one of those 100 hour long epics

Megami Tensei II - At the Forest of Confusion, beat Moloch and Belphegor in the Lands of Rage. I basically limped my way back to the Angry Village after Moloch, everyone else died but the Hero and I didn't want to rely on my weak ass reserve demons. I used savestates just in case but I didn't need them somehow, must be the super high level (mid 70s). Belphegor was baby, I gave Vajra to the Heroine, she still had a Crystal Sword from around Shinjuku.

Shout out to the GameFAQs walkthrough for giving the formulas for Undine, Gnome and Sylph which are necessary to advance forward in the game at certain points in the Expanse.

Ogre Battle - I just booted this up again and I feel a sort of phantom fear that this game has permadeath? Thanks Intelligent Systems. Anyway this game is god tier please play it, I'm just trying to get up to speed in Stage 3.
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year agoi want to archive every rpg i've ever played on my stupid website
It's a strategy game, not an RPG! You're safe!
Are you gonna hunt down X on Wii U or emulate it? fair warning i think this series is one of those 100 hour long epics
My bro's a video game collector to a small degree, and we actually own a Wii U so we have the whole Xenoblade series. That said, I'm only interested in playing XC3 while having moderate knowledge of what went down in 1 and very little knowledge of 2. XCX collects dust. Shouldn't hurt, still haven't started it yet. I probably wouldn't do everything in the game anyway.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Bean wrote: 1 year ago
KobaBeach wrote: 1 year agoi want to archive every rpg i've ever played on my stupid website
It's a strategy game, not an RPG! You're safe!
*turns to you, cocky sonic-ass grin on my face* it's a strategy rpg to me... *backflips into the vat of diarrhea*
Bean wrote: 1 year ago My bro's a video game collector to a small degree, and we actually own a Wii U so we have the whole Xenoblade series. That said, I'm only interested in playing XC3 while having moderate knowledge of what went down in 1 and very little knowledge of 2. XCX collects dust. Shouldn't hurt, still haven't started it yet. I probably wouldn't do everything in the game anyway.
tackle it at ur own pace :)
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Fair warning: if you get too into the exploring, you will be heavily overlevelled - it's possible to punch just enough above your weight that the Beef Gating can be broken.

Which on that note... I'm level 57 and probably about halfway through chapter 4 (I'm supposed to be

infiltrating Keves Castle to disrupt The Annihilator

but I got sidetracked by yet more sidequest/exploration opportunities). I still haven't managed the Battlescar Ferronis Hulk, but I stumbled into the Mountain Front and wound up pushing back to Fornis from Pentelas.
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Bean wrote: 1 year ago I've got Xenoblade Chronicles 3 in my Switch right now and let it do its update. I've never played it or anything in the series before but saw someone go through the second half of this game on a stream to the point where I think I'd enjoy it. Do I dare? Maybe.
I'd really recommend it! They can be played in any order, though the best(?) experience would be playing them in numerical order. However, it can also be really fun to play them out of order and not fully understand so those plot points really clarify themselves and click later on as you go back! If you want my unsolicited spoiler-free summaries of them, I thought I'd put them here:

Xenoblade 1 - Most consistent, though not really excelling at anything. Feels the most old-school JRPG out of all of them.
Xenoblade X - HUGE emphasis on the world and side content. Best sidequests in any game I've played, and they're kinda required if you want to fully experience the story and worldbuilding. Best gameplay and world design and the most sci-fi.
Xenoblade 2 - Most inconsistent, but imo the one with the most heart. Slow-burn story and characters but ends up having the best of them because of that, and Chapter 5 onwards is insane. It does have the most obvious anime trope segments, but becomes much more serious down the line.
Xenoblade 3 - Feels like a combination of 1 and 2, both good and bad (feels like it can't fully commit sometimes). On par with X for fantastic side content. A really good game, but I do have my gripes with it, like in my spoiler comment above.

None of them are perfect games, but I do think every JRPG fan should give at least each of them a shot. They're all so different, but they're all great in their own ways!!
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

it took a bit to get momentum going on freedom planet 2 for me but now that i have i am way into it and woah

at the point where i was about expecting the game to end, i instead got met with the revelation that i was actually only halfway done??? this game is HUGE for this kind of platformer man

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

we played splatoon 3's campaign at launch! we 100%'d splatoon 3's campaign a week later! it's really good! it's not octo expansion to us, but that thing has Actual Psychological Ties to our feelings on it & why we love it so much, so we're probably just biased. ...we did not participate in splatfest past halftime for our own mental state. it didn't go hot regardless, but boy we're glad we didn't kindle that more.

on the computer side of things, we've been playing the super collapse puzzle gallery series. wow that's a string of words! anyways we've decided to just unwind and try to 100% all puzzles by the game's metrics and been doing good. 100%'d the first entry and even got a few puzzles even better than the devs did. doing that a LOT more in the second entry, we genuinely don't think they playtested that one was thoroughly. it's a fun time though, actually trying to 100% a game series we grew up with but never was really too amazing at.
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Xenoblade 3 - Chapter 4 (finally) completed.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - Chapter 1 (finally) started.