(shouting)

Momodora 4: Reverie Under the Moonlight - Mo' Reverie, Mo' Problems

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Momodora 4: Reverie Under the Moonlight - Mo' Reverie, Mo' Problems

Post by Bean »

Momodora Playlist Link

1 - maple leaf
2 - wild
3 - coyotes
4 - capital
5 - wanderer
6 - lightning
7 - scout
8 - tiger
9 - flames
10 - thrasher
11 - hurricane
12 - golden knights
13 - stars
14 - blues
end - 15 - kings

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight is a Metroidvania game made in 2016 by a Brazilian developer named Bombservice and published by Playism. It's actually the fourth and latest entry in the series to date and stars a priestess who is traveling the land to stop some curse thingy. It also holds the interesting distinction of not having a thread created for it after two videos, so I guess I'll fill in and do that much here. Game looks interesting enough, so yeah! Let's go.
strongbadman

Re: Momodora 4: Reverie Under the Moonlight - Mo' Reverie, Mo' Problems

Post by strongbadman »

Here's one of the more tangible hard mode changes I've noticed: the health ups give you noticeably less max health. In normal it does feel like a health increase, in hard it's barely there.
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

Starting on RUTM is absolutely the right choice. This game not having a number in its title is very intentional; it's where the series found its stride after spending three games slowly iterating away from the obvious original Cave Story inspiration.

I really hope cowman doesn't go too hard on trying to no-hit everything. As someone who can get pretty good at things but never stops making a dumb mistake here and there, I gave up trying to do that after the first boss because it affected my enjoyment of the game too much.

well that's the post i spent two days not being able to post :tada: (edit: TIL emoji automagically work here just like emoticons. neat!
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
BeckySFairley
First name: Becky
Pronouns: They

Post by BeckySFairley »

Knowing what the "morph ball" upgrade is in the game whenever raocow comments on one of the passages I smile.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

momodora?

i ardly know a
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Are the previous three games not worth playing before this one (i.e. an All the Momodoras)? "Cave Story inspiration" doesn't sound like a bad thing to me.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

TiKi wrote: 1 year ago Are the previous three games not worth playing before this one (i.e. an All the Momodoras)? "Cave Story inspiration" doesn't sound like a bad thing to me.
All of them are very short. Out of the three of them, only 2 is a Metroidvania.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

Yeah, they're not a commitment at all. If you're even mildly interested, i'd recommend playing them. First two are free, Momo 3 (which i just re-installed) is on Steam.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

To echo one of the comments on youtube, the game will let you examine items without purchasing them. The $400 ring is something you want to get as soon as humanly possible.
BeckySFairley
First name: Becky
Pronouns: They

Post by BeckySFairley »

The "Damage up when health is low" thing seems like something you might want to get for the no-hit bosses knowing what I know about the Red Tearstone ring in Dark Souls 1 and watching speedrunners play it when you aiming to never take damage 1 HP and full is the same.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

BeckySFairley wrote: 1 year ago The "Damage up when health is low" thing seems like something you might want to get for the no-hit bosses knowing what I know about the Red Tearstone ring in Dark Souls 1 and watching speedrunners play it when you aiming to never take damage 1 HP and full is the same.
Danger Momodora
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Oh hey, it's the boss of Casio Mario World!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

i can't tell if rao missed the dick joke with the mushroom or just masterfully dodged it

kind of a crap prize, though
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

I'm kind of glad i didn't go for 100% completion back when i played this so i didn't have to experience the bizarre twin references to sex and drugs in this cute indie game.

........................... So does the rotten flower do anything funny when you use it?

Edit: okay, i was a little too cynical in immediately assuming that the thing that poisons you is a recreational drug.
Last edited by Catabo 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Oh man is the mushroom really a dick joke? That's sad, I liked it better when it was just a nasty old mushroom.

The rotten bellflower does exactly what it says on the tin- it poisons you. Works like any poison does. Why would you want this, you may ask? Well, in the game there is a passive item that makes poison heal you instead of hurt you.

Unfortunately raocow cannot obtain that on his playthrough, for reasons anyone familiar with the game already knows. Since he's committing to no hitting bosses it'e no great loss, but it *would* make poison arrows slightly more viable, since it takes away the risk to yourself.

What's the final reward for bugs? I feel like it was something pretty important but I can't remember for sure
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i wanted to watch the videos to try and populate this thread since people are ignoring this game but jesus fucking christ the comments are obnoxious (mostly stripey and strangest bedfellow)

i'll try to power through but goddamn
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i will add that i have the light of the "backyard" of my apartment building (space between this one and the one in the back really) glaring onto my monitor, which is right on the other side of my bedroom window and it's very hard to see a lot of the areas due to this and the darkness effect going on with the game if i'm reclined in my office chair which i usually am because i am a human sloth in the guise of an internet lion man (im not in an office)

---------------------------------------------

Nonetheless this is a super good game and if I wasn't already up to playing Momodora I'd definitely be up for it now. Do feel anxiety about No Hitting everything though. Simply bellissimo.

A 2D Soulslike sounds like a lovely concept either way, so. Still at video 7.

makogoggles

EDIT: is it me or is raocow not relying as much on rolling? i feel like it's a very good quick iframe solution to get past some annoying shit

also i feel like the knight is the only man in the game and that's why they don't matter.
Image Image
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

I just don't have much to add. It's a solid game and I enjoy experiencing it again.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

The tea leaf thing isn't quite as non-intuitive as, but give me the same vibes as, having to intentionally avoid saving a character in Cave Story to get the best ending (Cave Story is eighteen years old; i'm not putting that in spoiler tags). It's a little thing that you're likely to miss your first time around so you get to see the bad/neutral ending before you go through again looking for obvious things you could've done differently and get the good ending.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Momodora takes a lot of inspiration from Cave Story. It's especially evident if you play the first game, which almost looks like it could be a Cave Story mod.
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

Yes, that's why i mentioned starting with 4 and then going back to play the first three to see how it got there. It's especially jarring in Momo 1 when you

get the first gun

. I started with Momo 3, so i was used to the Cave Story-like sprite proportions, but that still threw me for a loop.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I thought this was a beautiful game. 10/10
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

I wish the ending had shown us the village of Lun. Just ten seconds during the credits where the village is shown coming back to life, the curse gets blown away, other priestesses come out and give thanks, etc. You could say that the fight was for Karst as much as it was for Lun, since that's what the player ends up fighting for because Karst is the place that they get intimately familiar with through the gameplay, but it would've been nice to see the place that Kaho set out to protect in the first place, and seeing the result of the sacrifice would've done a lot more than just a text box in making the player feel that the journey was "worth it" in a story sense.