(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Re: All the S@nics - Chronicles: the Dark Brotherhood - Lara-Sued

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Catabo wrote: 1 year ago If this picture doesn't sum up the Sonic Chronicles experience, i don't know what does.
Gosh, that picture is so funny and so blood-boiling at the same time. :ehh:
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Catabo wrote: 1 year ago PERFECT.png
If this picture doesn't sum up the Sonic Chronicles experience, i don't know what does.

It occurs to me that this game could've benefited from the practice of re-using the Sonic 1 Green Hill Zone song.
Tasked failed successfully.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

not savescumming for the legit experience is a rational take.

im just not doing it
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

yeah i just did the raptor hawk battle with three

ferox

es and big and i gotta say. fuck the qtes
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

nevermind i just got owned by

two scorpion bosses in chapter 3

because the pp amount you get is garbage and this game is the most boring thing, i was literally fucking up and i accidentally chose reload both because i was so bored. i have four

feroxes

Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

This is Big's last real role for quite a while (I'm not even sure he has a bit of story in Runners), so suck it up while you can.

Also, his model is pretty clearly the best so far, good for him.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Poor bloke didn't even get invited to Sonic's birthday party.

:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

seahfob.png
seahfob.png (31.92 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
Was i too hasty with this one and there were probably better opportunities awaiting? Sure. Do i regret it? No.

Re: "why does the game let you be such a butt in dialogue", it reminds me of the morality system in Mass Effect, another Bioware game. As opposed to Star Wars KOTOR where you had Light Side and Dark Side as actual things in-universe (so it made more sense for them to be a game mechanic), Mass Effect simply has Paragon and Renegade, which from my experience boiled down to "decent person" or "jerk" more often than not. Even tho Sonic Chronicles doesn't seem to have a morality system, i'm getting the same vibes from its dialogue trees. It may not be integrated into gameplay, but the choice to be a jerk if you want is still there.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i literally care less about sonic, than i care about big. and that's not saying that i dont care about big i just dont care about sonic.
Image Image
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

big the cat is a fun character & everyone at sega that refuses to bring him back outside of self-deprecating twitter posts about how bad the fishing stages are are all Cowards and we are not joking
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
helucard

Post by helucard »

Let Jon St. John voice Large the Feline again
Bring back the chill amphibian enthusiast
We want more Duke Cat
:gravytea:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

For a second, i was wondering how you'd get to this Emerald Town place that Little Boy (iconic new Sonic character) mentioned was his home. But then the item-get dialog said Central City instead and "Emerald Town" is apparently an error?

Poor Cream has to trade Cheese for Cheezlet when she goes off on world-saving business. Life is cruel.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

This is a few days late, but i am somewhat appalled that if you question why you should be working with GUN, the game just assumes you don't know what GUN is.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

If you like Earthbound's run away instantly mechanic, you might appreciate Persona 4 and Suikoden. Persona 4, last I heard (this was roughly the early 10s), has the same mechanic. It's a bit harder to get into with the demon recruiting and fusing though, I believe.

Suikoden, when you outrank the enemies, your running option turns to "sparing", and it works 100%.

Being able to always run away due to being super leveled is always the best. Thanks for telling me where Cheese is, I thought that was just a wall, good map design.

The kid just being an item reminds me of Tandi from Fallout 1.

also of course raocow does the scorpion fight that knocked me out repeatedly in one go
Image Image
QuiEstFaba
Une machine pour faire des vaches

Post by QuiEstFaba »

2003 was a good year for music, wasn't it
One sunny morning you get up, and you make your will, and you pass the salt to the people who care about you, but you never know who's talking to you....
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

robot alzheimer's isn't something i expected to see today
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
QuiEstFaba
Une machine pour faire des vaches

Post by QuiEstFaba »

Hey, raocow, which recording of "Papa Don't Preach" is the episode titled for?
I couldn't find one with the exact subtitle, but I found multiple covers from that year, and at least one remix.
Thanks!
One sunny morning you get up, and you make your will, and you pass the salt to the people who care about you, but you never know who's talking to you....
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Been catching up with this over the past couple nights. I think I remember you saying in one of the earlier episodes that "the missing feels so bad, this is why I don't play RPGs" or something to that effect?
Not to be one of those "hey raocow you should play more RPGs" people, but I would say it's important to remember that in most good RPGs if you're missing a lot there's a reason for it - be it "your funny weapon has a low hit rate", "the enemy is explicitly very evasive", "you tried to attack a bird with someone other than Wakka" or what have you - and there's usually something you can do about it. Most RPGs aren't... this.

I think the fact that the hawks can Evading with their first action and then keep attacking you while they're still invulnerable is the most offensive thing so far tbh. I assume (or rather would hope) "can't miss" attacks can get through Evading, but uh, fat lot of good that knowledge does when you pick your actions before they do it? :v
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

QuiEstFaba wrote: 1 year ago Hey, raocow, which recording of "Papa Don't Preach" is the episode titled for?
I couldn't find one with the exact subtitle, but I found multiple covers from that year, and at least one remix.
Thanks!
it's supposed to be from madonna herself, if my info is correct!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

kitikami wrote: 1 year ago This is a few days late, but i am somewhat appalled that if you question why you should be working with GUN, the game just assumes you don't know what GUN is.
all the megamen 🤝 all the sonics

being forced to work with the police
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Zygl wrote: 1 year ago "you tried to attack a bird with someone other than Wakka"
this is legitimately the worst part of ffx, i made kimahri into a semi-multipurpose physical attacker because of it

i think my final party was Teeds (for Haste), Auron and Kimahri and the occasional "calling Yuna to get her butt in the arena to heal some bitches"

the upside is that the story is really fucking good
Image Image
helucard

Post by helucard »

Alright, looks like something was misunderstood, so I'm gonna try to clarify some stuff.
This cloud over Knuckles' head here?

It looks like when those robots land their Breaker move, it gives a character this cloud.
And when the character has this cloud, their attack goes way down.
More importantly, it appears that multiple hits with Breaker can intensify this effect.
We can even see that the cloud becomes a little more profound as another Breaker hits.

This is bad. Knuckles has a status effect, or what the RPG kids call a "debuff".
And it gets worse with further application - It stacks with itself.
That's what makes the difference between each of these "Perfect" damage values:

So how do we deal with these?
- Evading the effect - You're already actively avoiding the Breaker move when you're hitting those 3 pips that appear as it's being used. When you miss, it lands.
- Removing the effect - Antidotes have shown up a few times as items you've collected; They cure ALL status conditions.

Hope this helps.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Lord Ruby

Post by Lord Ruby »

Note how his damage output decreased by 22 for each stack of the debuff. That means it was, in fact, perfectly consistent.

Also note the hint the game gave every time that fight was lost, essentially: These enemies have high damage resistance (armour, I think it's called, not defence ... for some reason, with that being used for evasion), inflict vulnerable to lower it. Amy's low blow inflicts that (only one enemy at a time, though), so it might have been useful here. Her other debuff attack, tantrum, effectively inflicts evasion down, I believe, which would be far more useful for speedy/flying enemies. I think she also has an attack buff move, but rao hasn't invested in it.

With that said, even when understanding the mechanics, this seems like a really annoying fight, since you have to set things up pretty precisely to be able to defeat three tanky enemies on the same turn. It's sad that a promising battle system like this is abused so badly.
a
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

helucard wrote: 1 year ago Alright, looks like something was misunderstood, so I'm gonna try to clarify some stuff.
This is an interesting mechanic and I appreciate that it has a notification when a lot of other JRPGs wouldn't, last I checked... Only one I can think of is at the very least Torneko Mystery Dungeon 1 (Roguelike though) which has a strength scale of sorts that goes from 1 to the upper limit, and enemies can cast poison to lower it, making you hopefully run into an Antidote Herb to restore your lost strength (or have one in Torneko's Bag, either or).

But I just wonder... Why not just write like Dmg↓ on top of Knux instead of this bizarre cloud. Two steps forward, one step back. Nevermind, it does... In the UI in the screen above. Why not write it on top of Knuckles? At least it's not Dragon Song.

If it's possible, can you go more into detail on status ailments, I'd really appreciate it when I get back to my game. Really annoying that it makes me clear out my desk to use my Wacom for better touch screen controls, but thankfully I usually only have like one or two papers/snacks on top of it (I don't contaminating the tablet with grease duh!!!!). Then again I was just drawing and I might continue later if I don't go to bed.

I'd also play it on my 3DS but I don't think it runs well on Twilight Menu.
raocow wrote:I thought that said Everything
Possible foreshadowing for a Star Ocean 4 LP? Nah, the game is too horny for its own good.

EDIT: I feel like a lot of this LP is coming off as raocow suffering through the game and everyone else in the comments being like "no actually you should play better" to me, and we're just not registering that this is a Bad Game. It's okay to like it, but it doesn't need defending.
Image Image
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

I meant to remark about this after the "I guess we'll just Tantrum the robot for damage" bit of the triple-armored-dude fight, but I get the impression a lot of the POW moves are more meant for their statuses than their actual damage. Some of them are obviously pure damage buttons (Chaos Spear's 250% damage looks pretty legit on its own, let alone on a piercing attack), but a lot of the moves just feel like "hey I'm gonna spend half my PP to do 20% more damage for one (1) attack if I hit the QTE".
Maybe it's different once your PP totals get a bit bigger? But as it stands a lot of the moves just do not look enticing if you're not specifically trying to hit with statuses >.> Maybe I'm wrong, idk I've never played this and don't exactly feel compelled to from watching it