(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by GenesisJames »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago I think a big thing wrt KDL3 feeling a bit clunky is that it follows KDL2 and its slower pace in terms of inspiration, being by the forever elusive Shinichi Shimomura. In contrast, Kirby Super Star came out roughly a year before in 1996, by Masahiro Sakurai, and it generally felt more fluid and faster paced. However I think Shimomura felt too nervous about aping Sakurai, be it pride or mutual respect that caused the avoidance in smashing the styles together.

Gooey might kind of inspired by the helper system, though, similar to how the ability mixing in Kirby 64 feels inspired by the animal helpers and how they alter Copy Abilities. Either way, Kirby 64 came out a few years later and it's also by Shimomura, so maybe it's something I'm missing that you feel a lot.

I will add this, Kirby's Dream Land 2 is legit one of the harder non-spinoff Kirby games, with some of the Rainbow Drops being completely bonkers, the convoluted Coo one in like Big Forest or Cloudy Park being one, the Rick one where you have to traverse a Red Canyon full of pits being another...
I think my main problem with Dreamland 3 is the physics. Kirby feels SO SLOW to start, but after you start running, he's SUPER fast. The difference between the two speeds is very different, and they have a stuttering effect that trips me up when transitioning from walking to running. You also don't seem to have as much precision in Dreamland 2 and 3 compared to the games that Sakurai or Shinya Kumazaki directed. The movement in 64 (from what I remember) feels much more in line with Super Star, Nightmare in Dreamland, etc. I guess Shimomura ironed out most of the weirdness with 64 lmao. 64's puzzles were also way more intuitive thanks to the color-coding.

Gooey's a weird case because he often feels much more of a hindrance than a helper. Then again, that was largely the case with Super Star too, but still. He often gets in the way of puzzles or kills a necessary enemy, so I never used him. Honestly, Dreamland 3's puzzles were pretty intuitive for the most part; the only one I had to look up was the one where you use Rick/Coo's cleaning ability on the flowers (why normal Broom Kirby isn't enough, I'll never understand). You're right about Dreamland 2 feeling tougher, though! Part of it's the physics and screen crunch, but there's some seriously tricky solutions to some of the Rainbow Drops. I had to look up the last three (though I'm REALLY proud of myself for figuring out the one where you have to use Kine with fire, temporarily drop your ability to suck up a block, then re-pick up your ability on my own). Definitely fun games to look back on, but I'm glad the series is where it is now!!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

The Legend of Heroes IV (PC) - Corrupted Nephtys has been Destroyed

Super easy battle somehow, mostly kept everyone's HP up with Prayera Medicine (Rarest Potions on PSP), La Prayer (La Rarer) and the occasional Prayera spell (Rarest). Nephtys kind of petrifies themselves halfway through the battle to borderline nullify physical damage, but Martie's Electro Cube did so much damage it didn't matter, meanwhile I kept attacking its assist units with Muse and Avin's specials, with the occasional Rutice dagger throw.

Gotta head back to Valkd so I can head to Brizahc and Kanaphia with Gawaine, and then the Shrine of Zar.
GenesisJames wrote: 2 years ago kirbus
Yeah I don't really like Gooey either, he's more of a 2P feature than anything. I think the cleaning one you're talking about, you can also use Pitch, which makes more sense since he basically up chucks a blob of water. The Kine one fucked me up so bad when I was like 12/13, struggled so bad. I managed though. I'm not sure if I could do it easily now but, I could always replay it sometime.

The lack of precision you mention is something you can definitely feel, Rick's wall jump ability feels like treeesh. At least when you had to use it in Kirby 64 through the Rock combo, you weren't above a bottomless pit!

Love Kirby so much, it's the only Nintendo series I get legit hyped over.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago Love Kirby so much, it's the only Nintendo series I get legit hyped over.
Same!! It's probably one of the most consistently solid video game series I've ever played. Even Kirby's more "mediocre" entries are better than a lot of series' best entries; I can always rely on HAL for a great time! Love how approachable the main games are while the side stuff offers the real challenge. That's not even mentioning the lore that I obsess over as it gets crazier with every game lmao
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Through World 4 in my solo run of Kirby and the Forgotten Land now. I've completed all the goals so far and would say the World 4 boss is probably the toughest set to do if you're trying to get them all at once. I'm not right now, so it's all good. Also found an alternate path through a stage earlier in the session which was kind of neat. Brought back memories of KDL3 like you were talking about earlier. Again, wouldn't recommend taking that path if you're going for all the goals at once because it makes one fight that was tricky even tougher.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

fixfox is really really good. kinda just lots of small intertwined gameplay ideas that aren't hard but are fun to toy with and a pretty compelling story tackling a lot of ethical and emotional beats really tactfully? and you get to be a fox which is always a +1 in my book idk this is gonna fly under the radar and i'm sad bcuz it's really good
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

I recently 100% Kirby and the Forgotten Land, and man it is such a fun time!
The only issue I really had with goin for 100% was just collecting the Capsules, since it's really up to RNG which ones you get. Luckily, a few playthroughs of the Arena got me enough resources to be able to complete my collection. It's and absolutely fantastic game!
The True arena this time around is especially tough, making an for an exciting 100% playthrough!

What's next for me? Most likely going for Dead God in Isaac
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Started a new game for self-care, Front Mission on SNES. Beat the first four missions, though the truck protecting mission in the Highway was harder, two of the three got destroyed. Gearing up my Wanzers and grinding Huffman Dollars at the Colosseum in preparation for the Grey Rock mission, got destroyed in it. Equipping my Wanzers is really fun :catplanet: :catplanet:

Great game all around.
Slimeman01 wrote: 2 years ago The only issue I really had with goin for 100% was just collecting the Capsules, since it's really up to RNG which ones you get. Luckily, a few playthroughs of the Arena got me enough resources to be able to complete my collection. It's and absolutely fantastic game!
Well I didn't bother with it in Triple Deluxe, Planet Robobot or Star Allies so...

There is a gachapon machine now but, I dunno. True Arena I'll try to grind it out, on and off.
Image Image
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago Well I didn't bother with it in Triple Deluxe, Planet Robobot or Star Allies so...
There is a gachapon machine now but, I dunno. True Arena I'll try to grind it out, on and off.
Were they keychains and stickers required for the game to consider it your file 100% complete? Cause Forgotten Land requires you have them in order to give you 100%
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Slimeman01 wrote: 2 years agoI recently 100% Kirby and the Forgotten Land, and man it is such a fun time!
The only issue I really had with goin for 100% was just collecting the Capsules, since it's really up to RNG which ones you get.
I've noticed that when going after them from the machines in town, you're guaranteed to get a new one after two straight misses no matter what. The only ones that are really an issue are ones tied to minigames. The Waddle Dee Cafe: Help Wanted! one was definitely the hardest of those since you don't have to do the extra hard level of the game with the motion control deal.

Getting close to the end of the main game in my own solo run. Currently at 51% overall, but that number jumps up huge after the end of each world.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Finished off PWAA Dual Destinies.

It was alright, but probably my least favorite of any of the games I've played up until now?
Some of the animations were nice, but overall I just found it much uglier to look at than the hand-drawn anime style.

But none of that is nearly as big of an issue compared to how little faith they have in the player's problem-solving abilities. On one hand I like that they stopped blocking you from saving on screens where you have to make a choice with a risk of penalty. But that's about the only change to make it "easier" that I actually think is a QOL improvement.

The courtroom stuff wasn't too badly changed, although I don't think Athena's ability was that interested or really made me feel like I was problem solving. Especially when there's no penalty for guessing wrong (although I understand why they didn't penalize being wrong, cause sometimes it made no sense what "wrong" emotion you're supposed to be noticing, or what random object/person you're supposed to pinpoint as causing high emotions or whatever). It also felt like there was a LOT of dialogue that could have been cut out, and conversations were just going in circles and/or spelling things out so you never ran into a scenario where you didn't know what to present. I also noticed that if you present something wrong a couple times there's a "consult" button that appears, and I assume that just tells you the answer.

What REALLY felt the most offensive was how badly they butchered the investigation portions of the game. It was so hand-hold-ey that it barely felt interactive. It was like being on rails, being a visual novel in the most literal of the sense, never challenging you to think about who might want to see what evidence. It even gives you a checklist of the exact things you need to do at all times, although I don't think I looked at it once because it was always just telling you what to do and what to show to which people in the dialogue itself.

The actual point-and-click investigation isn't even a regular mechanic of exploring, it's just every once in a while you get to a point where it's like "okay, time to investigate" and then the menu changes to go into investigation mode where you touch everything that's inspectable (indicated by your cursor lighting up) until the characters say "okay you've seen everything." I know in past games you could sometimes you could get stuck in investigation segments of the game because you didn't inspect one tiny thing in a certain area, or show one piece of evidence to a certain person. But those parts also got me invested, and thinking about what I might have missed. With this game I just felt like I was reading a book.

Even the fact that the "move" command can allow you to teleport everywhere bugged me. I could see why it sounds like a "save you a few seconds" thing, but having to move in a linear path made the areas feel like they represented proper space in the world. Not that most missions had a lot of areas anyway, I assume cause designing a 3D room takes more time/effort than just having someone draw a picture of a room. But that just ties back into how I wish they just kept it hand-drawn instead of making it 3D models.

The stories themselves were okay. Though it's hard to be objective in my comparison because the way it's presented -- basically just walking me through the thought process on everything made me far less engaged, so I feel like I enjoyed them less.

Anyway, I don't think I'll hop right into Spirit of Justice. I might split it up with a different game (maybe platinum Dark Souls) and then come back to it afterwards. Hopefully they learned from some their mistakes with this game.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

Ashan wrote: 2 years agoIt was alright, but probably my least favorite of any of the games I've played up until now?
for what it's worth, as an ace attorney Expert™, while dual destinies is definitely one of the worst games, i think spirit of justice is one of the best, if not THE best. not that there's too much change on the bulk of this—you can look around any area you want again, but otherwise investigations are the same and probably feel the same too...? it's mostly the way the individual cases were written and plotted out that really galvanized me, in addition to the new court mechanic which just overall is really good.

it is strange, because the dgs games ostensibly came out later than dd, and while they had the you-can-go-anywhere-from-anywhere thing in investigations, they didn't have the whole handholdy checklist. 🤔
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Reecer7 wrote: 2 years ago
Ashan wrote: 2 years agoIt was alright, but probably my least favorite of any of the games I've played up until now?
for what it's worth, as an ace attorney Expert™, while dual destinies is definitely one of the worst games, i think spirit of justice is one of the best, if not THE best. not that there's too much change on the bulk of this—you can look around any area you want again, but otherwise investigations are the same and probably feel the same too...? it's mostly the way the individual cases were written and plotted out that really galvanized me, in addition to the new court mechanic which just overall is really good.
I actually ended up enjoying Spirit of Justice less than Dual Destinies. So little of the game clicked with me, that it just felt like a slog. Though from what I can tell I'm in the minority here.
------------

Made a little progress in Langrisser II, but being a college student sucks sometimes so
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

oh i forgot to poast here

Great Greed - Past the Nations of Chow Mein and Curry, to reach Spaghetti. As usual this game keeps being very ridiculous, with stuff like a town where laws are dictated by a slot machine, a forest where the forest is alive and you have to puzzle your way through it to find the Ultrahot Flower, a town where everyone's into eating spicy curry that everyone is running in circles from how hot it is in the middle of the town...

Then you also have stuff like an indigenous population starving and literally the villain polluting the lake of Power Water in the Curry Nation to avoid being defeated by pure energy.

However for the former, you help get their food back from a castle in the oasis, in order to get the Golden Pepper that was their last bit of food before, to defeat the dragon of the lake and free a doctor from the castle of the dude running the slot machine town. Said dude, Serg, is also forcing the prisoners of the town to toil in the mines to extract toxic ore to power the bad guy, because he literally runs on toxins.

For the latter, you take the Ultrahot Flower and run as fast as you can to reach the Power Water lake to throw the Neutralizer in before the smog storm comes back, where Darts awaits you to stop you from ruining his plans.

Again, really cute game.

Power of the Hired - Played through the first six maps and I still think it's funny that the entire premise of like the first half of the game is like. "My brother is an imperialist now, help me get him back to the old country". I'm playing in Japanese because I can't stand Dynamic-Designs' translation.

Having a better understanding of how things work - make sure to take the highest leveled beast units with the best defense and decent movement, use Neina to constantly heal when possible, keep the Beastmancers safe from attacks outside of the occasional quick attack from them - I'm having much more fun with the game, but it still feels clunky, the cursor in the menus tends to be too responsive for one, resulting in picking the wrong option on occasion.

Also I randomly developed a crush on Deano. His portrait is ugly (the beastmancers all have terrible portraits) but I'm imagining him and Ture from Rudra kissing, being chonky SNES RPG boyos and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

The Legend of Heroes IV PC - Got to Kanaphia and beat Borgeid in the Zar Shrine and jesus christ he was a pain in the dick. Had to get out several Royal Powders (basically Full Revives). Still managed though. Please don't make bosses that teleport and have short casting times, Jesus. I remember the scene with Madram

killing himself and Borgeid with a Crimson Flame gem

being touching because of the whole plot thread with Dominique, but I sadly had to skip it because, yeah this game has a lot of text!

The game actually goes into that plot thread on here,

Father Avarice apparently ignored a distress call from Madram and Dominique while they were being hounded by the Octum Apostles, Dominique being the former Child of Durga before Eimelle was chosen and she basically sacrificed her own life to protect Madram. Gawaine feels particularly responsible for it because Madram was his pupil, iirc, and he feels bad he didn't protect them in time

. Kinda powerful.

The scene with Avin sacrificing the large, explosive Crimson Flame to save Rutice who was behind a cave in was still cute though, even if it was a blatant White Witch/Moonlight Witch reference on top of Michel (

Grandpa Lap

) being on your party at the time and him explaining he's from Tirasweel, traveling all the way to El Phildin from beyond the Gagharv.

Thomas is also Captain Thomas, aka Roule

. Anyway, at Chapter 4, only the final dungeon left.
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Reecer7 wrote: 2 years ago

it is strange, because the dgs games ostensibly came out later than dd, and while they had the you-can-go-anywhere-from-anywhere thing in investigations, they didn't have the whole handholdy checklist. 🤔
Well like I said, it was hard to be objective about my enjoyment cause there was so much that was changed/simplified that I couldn't tell if it was the writing or new mechanics that was putting a damper on my enjoyment. I haven't really looked into anything about reviews/reception regarding any of the games cause I always feel like looking at that will taint my opinion. But in this case I'm glad to see it wasn't just me that felt DD was weak. And I'm glad to hear that SoJ is much better, if not the best!

I did end up taking a break to hop into platinum-ing Dark Souls, but once I'm done that, I'm looking forward to trying out SoJ with this new information!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

got to shinjuku mall in shin megami tensei and chapter 3 in summon night 3 (not swordcraft)

summon night 3's pacing leveled up considerably compared to 2 holy shit. i think it helps that the battles feel better balanced and fair so far (did the first four battles), due to taking into account brave clears. goddamn

ALSO YOU CAN TURN THE CAMERA LIKE IN FINAL FANTASY TACTICS HOLY SHIIIIIT GAME OF ALL TIME
Image Image
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I finished Langrisser II. The game is one of my favorites, but the modern HD version leaves a bit to be desired. The redesigns are whatever, I'm not a fan of Urushihara's female character design in I&II, thank god he tones it down a lot going forward... so the redesigns do at least make the women in the game not strippers (occasionally with patented 90s shoulder pads)? The style of the new art though is incredibly bland, so it's a trade-off. The gameplay changes I warmed up to, though the removal of the "Rally" (Treatment in Japanese I think, Rally is what that command is called in Der's translation) command, which restores a little HP and MP is annoying, particularly in terms of MP restoration. The only way to do so now is to level up. I suppose it means you can't just spam magic. However, it's not like any maps in the game are super long anyway. They also maybe copy-pasted the enemy AI from the older versions, because I'm not sure why else enemy commanders would just sit there and do nothing. When their HP gets low enough when in the older versions they'd Rally and heal themselves. I don't know anything about programming so maybe there's some other thing at work here.
It's still a great game, and it was fun doing a new route, the Chaos Route. Plus,

I got to do the time tested anime trope of slaying God... sort of

, so automatically makes it the best route lol.
I would still recommend Der Langrisser (or the PS1 or Saturn version, but only Der is in English) over this version, unless some of the later added content that's not in Der is appealing.

So, Langrisser III? I'm gonna finally play it. I'm not really sure what I'll think of it, but we'll see. It seemed to work just fine in PCSX2, which is nice because it means I don't have to play it on my PS2.

Edit: Speaking of gameplay changes... I really don't know how to feel about what Langrisser III does. Instead of moving each unit individually, you tell the commander where to go, then you end the turn and all the commanders on your team and the enemy's move at the same time, and if they collide then they stop moving. Then you can engage in battle. It's not bad per se, just a massive departure from its predecessors. Also I took so long on the first scenario, I was just trying to adjust to how different everything is, from the menus, to the game being in a language I can't really read and understand... but I'm figuring everything out and making a handy little text document that by the end I probably won't need anymore (same thing happened with SRW OG Gaiden, by the end I had all the commands and such memorized)
Also, mandatory thanks to the people who translated the game script. Which is why I'm playing the game at all haha
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

Bravely Default: oh man it's spell fencer time (note: not actually spell fencer time)

SMT4: can i please have some coffee beans Shinjuku-senpai?

pokemon red litelocke: oh right, this is the part of the game that stops me from playing a proper Nuzlocke of 1st gen. on the plus side under my current ruleset if I manage to not have any wild encounters on the way down I could legitimately catch-and-use Zapdos and Articuno (and in theory Moltres as well but I'm not going to abuse my rare candies until after reaching Indigo Plateau so that's not actually going to happen with Victory Road) which would be enough of a boost to my overall power level that it might be worth going for? but probably more articuno than zapdos to get that sweet stab ice beam/blizzard on my obligatory birb (Farfetch'd, I love you, but you're actually kind of really bad in gen 1 which is kind of the point of the joke but still)

Heirs to Skull Crag: a game so nice i'm playing it twice, apparently. this game is a hell of a lot easier when you know what you're doing, and while that's true for basically every video game ever it's especially true in Gold Box games, since you're limited to Vanican Magic and proper use of magic is kind of critically important.

Darksun Shattered Lands: speaking of "proper use of magic" it's time to run four human Gladiators so that I can dual-class at the XP cap. But what if I don't dual class? Can I beat the game without casting any magic? Probably. (Currently in Teaquetzel Village, about to head up to Gedron first since that gets me El's Drinker for Nagi's Castle)
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Reached chapter four in Summon Night 3 (not Swordcraft 3).

The battle with Vijue and the imperial troops in the forest was annoying but fun. Yaffa my beloved. Finally gonna get the ability to stock up on healing items once I unlock Meimei's shop next chapter it seems.

executive dysfunction real bad tonight
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

oh god oh fuck

Despite it being Kingdom Hearts 4's baby shower yesterday, I decided to continue my ancient Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix (PS2) file apropos of nothing really, currently just reached Hollow Bastion. This game is at it's peak when it's about cute anime children being cute and emo and not trying to write nonsense lore. I like trying to headcanon stuff about hearts, light and darkness like it was Dark Matter/Zero related Kirby lore, in fact I wholeheartedly rip it off, but.

A lot of it is Ice Cream Koans as TvTropes would put it (forgive me for my Tropelish), essentially stuff that sounds profound but doesn't mean anything. So it just feels like it goes in one ear out the other and it's legit exhausting to listen to. However, again, I really enjoy seeing the OC characters being absolute weenies. I can't wait until I get to

the DLC of KH3 where Roxas gets back into the limelight

I don't really care about a lot of Disney characters due to the miasma of late stage capitalism that surrounds that company, but Man if I didn't hoot and holler over Pete and Maleficent. I love camp as fuck villains, and Pete is an absolute daddy. wish people would stop shipping him with PJ though that's gross, Goofy's right there

Another thing I don't like is the emphasis on quick time events that aren't even quick time. They're just press this button in this window to do thing, you can mash it beforehand. It kind of lessens the effect of KH1's pure action in favor of cheap spectacle. If it was like a timed press in reaction, like timed hits in Mario RPGs, or SF3 parries, or how you time your Guard ability in KH1&2, it'd feel much better.

The battle with the Twilight Thorn felt incredibly disjointed and disorienting because it was just Roxas dashing around doing Reversals (SLAM MASTER) to dodge shit repeatedly, get a few hits in, then a bunch of scripted attacks with quick time events, then a few hits in. It was dreadful. I don't see the game improving in this respect and because of that I don't think I can give it the same GOAT rating I gave KH1, which is a shame because the base fighting is really fun! I love Valor Mode, assuming Roxas' dual wielding was meant to be a tutorial for that, it reminds me of Mono Shifts in Swordcraft 2 and Mainline!SN3. Hopefully it surprises me though.

I know I'm the only person who feels this way about KH2 but. Yeah. I have no arguments. I honestly reminded myself of this one Hot Take Haver on Google Groups' Usenet archives that was like "The Capcom Vs. games aren't as good as Street Fighter 2 because they're about wacky combos and jumps instead of raw fighting" which...

Yeah, we were all collectively stupid as fuck in the 90s, then again people thought Oro and Necro were unappealing, which they're not, they're cool as fuck and you will never change my mind on this, the only bad Street Fighter characters are Rufus (holy shit his beta design i'm going to cry it was so good) and like half of the SF5 newcomers (Rashid is not included in this, he rules).

Mandatory:
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

KobaBeach wrote:a somewhat more nuanced and less negative version of "KH2 is just 'press triangle to win'"
I only have the OG PS2 versions of both KH1 and KH2 to compare between, so for me that's like saying a car has too many features compared to a handcart. But yeah, fewer QTEs please. Either that or be like Xenoblade where you're auto-attacking in the background while I'm doing the QTEs.

Xenoblade 2: Poppi's back. Back again. Poppi's back. Tell a friend. ...ye gods I hate the Artificial Blade Factory segment.

SMT4: Hooray I finally found those damnable coffee beans, time to finish the game (also it turns out that they weren't actually required, I was missing a different quest)

Pokemon Shining Pearl: Do I really need to climb the tower and get my Defog HM? Especially since it isn't even an HM any more...

also I grabbed the Gold Box Classics collection on steam despite already owning all of them via GOG. But evidently they come with Gold Box Companion which is going to make a hell of a lot of these easier to deal with. Too bad they're all "Windows-Only" which means I'm stuck using a vanilla build of dosbox compared to my personalized build of dosbox-x
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

raekuul wrote: 1 year ago
KobaBeach wrote:a somewhat more nuanced and less negative version of "KH2 is just 'press triangle to win'"
I only have the OG PS2 versions of both KH1 and KH2 to compare between, so for me that's like saying a car has too many features compared to a handcart. But yeah, fewer QTEs please. Either that or be like Xenoblade where you're auto-attacking in the background while I'm doing the QTEs.
okay meta told me that there's less triangle to win scenarios in later battles so i'll keep on keeping on

also i'm the only person who unironically likes kh1 that much i dont blame you for thinking im insane. might be first game bias but it was a part of my teenagehood (early adulthood?) so

possessed riku in hollow bastion is cream of the crop for me
Image Image
Crow

Post by Crow »

a lot of KH2 bosses have reaction commands that imo enhance the fights but twilight thorn is just kind of a drag, yeah. it's basically the devs going "hey look at this new thing we added to the game" but extended cutscene-y reaction commands are actually pretty rare and there's some really cool uses of them later on, plus the combat system really just. feels that good

maybe this is me as a 100%ed-the-game-on-both-ps2-and-ps3-and-dumped-hundreds-of-hours-into-rando type of player but KH2's combat feels so good and i have yet to find a 3D game that feels better than it

anyways i played the demo for nine sols yesterday and it's really damn intriguing can't wait to play it in *checks planned release date* never
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

don't get me wrong. I enjoy KH1, it's just KH2 added a bunch of QoL that OG KH1 desperately needs and that basically every re-release of KH1 has had. I literally only have the original KH1 to play unless Squenix decides we can has a not-cloud version on Switch (my internet since moving out here is not reliable enough to play cloud-service games that aren't also idle games).
Crow

Post by Crow »

oh also for the record roxas controls way jankier than sora does when you actually get to him so naturally any fight with him isn't gonna feel as good
this was done very intentionally
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

And then there's me with 358/2 Days being my favorite KH game lmao

KH4 looks interesting though; kinda glad to be going into something that's not the Xehanort arc tbh