And Another Thing - Management Feedback

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

And Another Thing - Management Feedback

Post by KobaBeach »

Since I'm very, very new at running this clown car, I'd like to hear some feedback on ways I could improve the way I run things.

For instance: A friend, who I'll keep anonymous and has experience in SMW hacking, mentioned that the amount of stuff in the baserom paralyses him and he feels that having just asm folders and a baserom like previously would have been much better, and I honestly don't disagree.

If this goes well and there's interest for a sequel after a long rest period, I'd like to try this and provide links to tools and tutorials on insertion, while I still manage version control on my end to avoid dead ROMs.

I'd like to improve this and try to make SMW hacks somewhat of a common thing every few years or so. I want there to be a decently sized rest period between efforts.
Last edited by KobaBeach 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
KobaBeach

Re: A3MT - Management Feedback

Post by KobaBeach »

Simplified the baserom now. m(_ _)m
Hope it's more approachable! ^w^
Image Image
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

You're doing a good job, lion!

Just remember that if you start feeling burned out or overworked, that you can delegate functions and stuff. Always important for management to keep that in mind, I believe.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

No problems here. I'm pretty happy with the way you've been running things so far, Koba. The GitHub/spreadsheet/Discord/Talkhaus combination seems to be working well.

The other day, I read that you've been stressed out with how fast things were moving on the A3MT server. That's just the nature of a live chat, especially when we're all so excited that another Talkhaus SMW collab finally exists. It can be hard to keep up with all of the crosstalk, so I'm glad that we now have a dedicated subforum where we can organize discussions into different topics. Hopefully from now on, important conversations that happened on the server will be summarized in forum posts that can be more easily digested in an asynchronous environment.

Also, I agree with Ellen. I think it would be good to have a Deputy Manager who can assume your duties in case you need to take an extended break for self-care, and it looks like Disk Poppy has been taking some of the initiative. (Or at least that's what it seems to me. Sorry if it's putting you on the spot.) That way, there's no single point of failure and the collab can go on.
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: And Another Thing - Management Feedback

Post by Super Maks 64 »

Currently every single change done to the github repo updates the baserom and the download link just gets the latest version of every file in the repo.

I think it would be better if the baserom instead had a release every time enough files have been inserted/modified or something major was changed, so everyone who downloads the baserom doesn't end up with a different version that may also be outdated in 5 minutes.
Nao
Pronouns: he

Post by Nao »

I actually like that the baserom gets updated so frequently. It's one of the advantages of using git after all.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Despite not making this thread for praise, I appreciate the kind words, thank you.

To the first issue:
Super Maks 64 wrote: 2 years ago Currently every single change done to the github repo updates the baserom and the download link just gets the latest version of every file in the repo.

I think it would be better if the baserom instead had a release every time enough files have been inserted/modified or something major was changed, so everyone who downloads the baserom doesn't end up with a different version that may also be outdated in 5 minutes.
You do raise a point, but I do appreciate being able to insert as soon as possible. I feel like people are free to just work on their levels as is for the most part, as I'm willing to merge anything in insertion. I use Lunar Helper to make stuff like this more automated, so far the submission method is basically, "give me your .mwls, ExGFX, music and asm, and list the title and message boxes you want to use". I feel like this, along with the spreadsheet, is approachable enough to avoid overrides.

I could always ask Disk Poppy how Falconpunch uses it for SMWCP2, or anyone else that used Git for their collabs. A lot of the constant updates is from me hectically trying to meet everyone's needs, insertion, fixes and whatnot.

Thank you for your input.
Image Image