(shouting)

What the Hell? (public release like it was no thing)

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
linlin

Re: What the Hell? (public release like it was no thing)

Post by linlin »

i'm playing and hating the happy winter place thing

the ice and block breaking gimmick took me 1/2 hour just to pass, and after that keeping the fire was tough at the first set of ropes because the turtle (?) would sometimes turn before letting me pass

now i'm in crazy spike spam land, and fish keep killing me

not enjoying this at all yet :(
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'm sorry :(

edit - and I mean dude, don't play it if you don't enjoy yourself!! The hack is made with a very particular demographic in mind.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

A lot of it still seems to be pretty buggy? I've managed to find a place where just jumping into blocks causes me to die for no reason (blocks that look no different from any other block on the screen) in the goat house or whatever it is, just for reference.

That's probably the part that kills it most for me
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

Some of the levels are just fundamentaly flawed, like the goat house for example.

Basicaly I released it because I'm reworking my best ideas in wth2, and as such I won't really be working on 1 anymore.
linlin

Post by linlin »

well, i enjoy it when things get interesting and not insane, like the first level was really good - the second would be great, too, if it weren't for the homicidal fish guys
raocow

Post by raocow »

So you could say, I have succeed in making the 'dolphin generator' matter!

(that was my goal for that segment)
atruong18

Post by atruong18 »

i had more trouble with the spikes than the dolphins in that level, really.
so much that i decided to use the dolphins instead of going through all those sliding blocks (as i shown in my videos of the level)
SpikyRat

Post by SpikyRat »

WHAT IS IT WITH YOU AND MAKING IT SO YOU CAN'T BOUNCE ON ENEMIES?!

I hate you all.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

You can bounce on them, you just have to be spinning!
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
SpikyRat

Post by SpikyRat »

Argumentable wrote:You can bounce on them, you just have to be spinning!
I knew that.

I'm really hating the abuse of the flying enemies and whatever the Charlies are called in this game in the third part of the third level. At least I got through the stupid cave, even though I got pissed when I was thrown back because of taking the wrong pipe. This game gets way too hard for it's own good.

I hate you all.
Chompie
Pronouns: she

Post by Chompie »

I grabbed this!

So far, I've juuust finished the first two levels. sand doomy theatre death hopefully won't make me hate life and take back everything I say here.

This hack is hard enough that I don't feel bad at all about using savestates, but not so hard that I want to go cry. (though I put almighty rewind far enough away from my actual controller that I can't use it without basically killing myself)
I think you got a damn good balance of challenge and hardness without going into the bullshit zone. There's a huge variety of skills needed to get through everything, forcing you into being a well-rounded mario player. Hell, I had no idea I was that good at lakitu jumping. And that bad at jumping into vertical pipes aargh.

Tiny one-block jumps always drive me insane, and I'm very bad at any jump where you have to land on a solid block that is directly above your starting block, and I cry every time I have to bounce off of an auto-shatter block to get somewhere.. but I still had fun!

And those dolphins.. after they murdered me a few times, I paused, stretched, and was all "all right dolphins. This time I mess with YOU!" and used them instead of some of the oh gawd insane jumps in that area.

As an added bonus, the graphics I all enjoy, the backgrounds are interesting without making it hard to tell which bright things are actual things and which aren't, and the music is both good and doesn't get annoying when you keep having to timejump back to the same arbitrary spot in it cause you're savestating it up.

So, my judgement is an I Do Really Enjoy This out of Seven.
:catcrime:
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

A question for you, Mr. Cow.

Does your hack get harder then the charlie + moles + flying guys segment?
Not that I dislike it, but I'm seriouly considering whether the time investment of a toolless run is worth it.
I managed pretty well so far, but this part is seriously intense. After 2 hours I still need 3 savestates to clear the second half of level 3. While that isn't that much time compared to what I've already put in some other Mario hacks, it is still too much if things are gonna get even worse.

Also, you don't want to know how many times stuff I needed failed to spawn on me in level 3. You really have to be more careful with this in the sequel.
SpikyRat

Post by SpikyRat »

Chompie wrote:So far, I've juuust finished the first two levels. sand doomy theatre death hopefully won't make me hate life and take back everything I say here.
Sand Forest Theater is the first really insane level. Trying to keep a shell out of danger; jumping across flying question blocks; and avoding mass amounts of graphically swapped baseballs, Charlies, and flying enemies that you can't bounce on. This is INSANE. (No, it's not all in the same area, don't worry.)

I hate you all.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Level 3 is weird as it's I think one of the hardest all-around levels, at least definitely in world 1.
kilon

Post by kilon »

Yeah, levels after that (in world 1) are relatively like a walk in the park.
A park with lots of traps, but just a walk in the park.
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

what am I supposed to do here, I've been trying to bounce off the toaster to get through that gap but it doesn't work.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Use the flying dudes instead
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

I have to be honest with you, I hate this game! I am sorry, just telling you what I think, it's just made of pure evil, but not the funny evil, I mean the really asshole-like evil.

The only thing that I find nice are the graphics, they are really good, wired, but good.

god I hate this game...

Well wth2 better is not so ridicoulously unfair.
SpikyRat

Post by SpikyRat »

The odd thing is, though, it doesn't even seem that raocow meant to make the game so unfair.

But, yeah. I do enjoy playing hard hacks, but ugh...

I hate you all.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Is it really 'unfair' ? My goal was to make it hard, but without resorting to blatant trap.

Ah man!
randoguy101
spicey tomato
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by randoguy101 »

If you have to use slowdown in parts (which non-creators do), it's considered unfair.

Sorry, dude. :(
- randoguy101
sunwarrior25

Post by sunwarrior25 »

OMG, guys! Did you know there's a 2 Player option? :)
Other places to find me: YouTube, deviantART, Twitter
atruong18

Post by atruong18 »

Daarkbuu wrote:Image
raocow wrote:Is it really 'unfair' ? My goal was to make it hard, but without resorting to blatant trap.

Ah man!
to be fair, this was the first obstacle that i had to resort in using savestate.
its not a blatant trap, but it is not fair due to the random flying koopa generator not cooperating with what you want it to do.

its feasibly possible to do for sure, but the effort needing to get to this point make this section a bit on the luck side compared to the 1st map of 1-3.
from entering the 3rd map and getting pass the koopa shell section is a learning process which can show the player progress, but that one gap makes that learning process come to a halt (imo anyways).

more stuff about that one jump here, just clarifying/spaming my thoughts on it:
the mix of indestructible flying koopas (random spawning ones at that) and stompable moles make this section harder than is needed. A player has two choices to make when at this section: jump, or spin jump.
Jumping is very risky due to having to avoid the flying koopas (and the baseball charley) and land safely on the end of the spike pit. Also the mole has to be positioned at a good spot for the jump to be feasibly possible.

The spinjump approach is more safe to avoid the flying koopas from killing you, but from there, you have 2 options still, spin jump to another flying koopa or try to make the jump.

the difficult part is you only have 1 try at the jump, since you cannot spinjump bounce on the mole, and the random generator of the flying koopa being hard to get positioned correctly.

I am certain there is a method to have the flying koopa spawn correctly at a certain point, but in the general audience of players, it is unlikely they will take the time to learn it.

and so, the romhack, still keeping in mind is an experiment, is difficult for the general and requires for them to use savestates (if worse, slowdown).
all in all, random generators (flying koopas or fishes) most of the time arent as fun to deal with, especially if you have to use it.
___________________________________________________________________________________
I wrote a lot of negative sounding comments, so decided to add positive feedbacks/suggestion on this too.
I'd say the most successful parts of your levels would be to keep it fresh and interesting. Puzzles and such (but not overly used throughout the hack) can liven things up for the players to enjoy. Having feasible obstacles that has a learning curve makes it enjoyable as well.

I already wrote a list of levels that I enjoyed, but to put some examples of where most of the new WtH players are at about now, 1-4.

map1: it is difficult to do, indeed. I became lazy to continue my savestateless videos and wish to finish before the new year, not because of the difficulty. but, the level has a learning curve that helps the player progress through the level once they understand how to do it. the main reason for its difficulty is the length of the map and the speed of progression, which can be worked with easily by spreading it out or having a 'rest point'.

map2: the first auto-scrolling level, the length of the level is durable, the obstacles are not too demanding, so it can be enjoyable. with the music and the background/clouds, it gives a better atmosphere of playing the map. it is a good choice to put the midpoint at the end of the map, due to a chance mishap of dying to the pokey at the end. if the midpoint was placed at the start of map3, it can cause trouble.

map3: this one is a difficult learning curve, but it is still a learning curve. i cannot say much about this except this is basically trial and error and memorize.

What i wrote about the maps is based on savestateless runs of it, so the learning curve may not apply as well as to savestaters or slowdowners. hard to really deal with the savestate abuse thing.
and an apology to raocow and others if my posts, this and all the others in the past, seemed too wordy and serious. I am mostly writing in these lengths to give some ideas to consider about for playing or working on a romhack. im probably overstepping my boundaries though.
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

Daarkbuu wrote:Image

what am I supposed to do here, I've been trying to bounce off the toaster to get through that gap but it doesn't work.
Unlike what the other responses told you, this jump is clearable with the mole alone.
The trick is to start your jump right before the mole bumps into the wall under you.
This will cause the mole to bounce of the wall and not lose any rightward momentum, as it'll be chasing you.
Next you have to correct your positioning midair, so that you get a really flat angle, plus speed. If you do it correctly, you should be able to just sneak by under the corner in the right ceiling.

This is a very hard jump to perform though, it certainly classifies as mild kaizo, but it's certainly doable toolless as I've done it several times (although not consistently yet).

I actually find pretty much everything in this level doable, but it's simply too long considering how many really hard parts it has. Please, raocow, I know you like your levels long, but if you want to keep the challenge, consider at least a multiple midway point solution like in SMI.

Anyways, concerning my own progress, I can get through this with 2 savestates now, but really, the random nature of the koopas always screws me over. It's incredibly frustrating.
atruong18

Post by atruong18 »

cozyduck wrote: Unlike what the other responses told you, this jump is clearable with the mole alone.

but really, the random nature of the koopas always screws me over. It's incredibly frustrating.
thats what makes this jump harder than its supposed to be, if its just the moles alone then its possible, but you need to rely on whether or not the flying koopas arent spawning at a terrible position that gets in the way of your jump, since contact with the flying koopas will be instant death.
there is no way for you to respawn the mole unless you redo the whole 'get shell and go through wall' thing.

i said that the jump is possible, it obviously is, but having the random generator causes problems with it