(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Something The Hodgepodge - the gimmick is in the thread op this time

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Every single quiz answer was A

This made me so angry that I posted here for the first time in two months
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Window Squeegee
Hog with a Blog
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Window Squeegee »

Awesome Possum you gotta kick that man's
BUTT
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

everytime i see awesome possum im just taken aback at how... complete garbage the graphics are. absolute disservice to the megadrive's graphical prowess, and exactly the type of grungy gritty shit that drives me away from most western developed titles on it. like look at comix zone or eternal champions, you could do so much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i also seem to remember someone putting awesome possum in sonic 1 including the fucked up bonus stages where you're judged by the united nations on your war crimes against the populace.

also sonikku showed this to me on twitter but look at how the voice lines play so frequently it nearly starts to glitch out the sound engine

lastly someone in the comments was like "people seemed to like the megadrive sound chip because it was what was used in the arcades" and honestly no peep, the megadrive sound chip does sound good if you're listening to the right games, it's just that western devs suck huge dicks at using it. pc98 and megadrive both have yamaha sound chips even
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Welp, Youtube won't let me post one of my patented super long comments, so I might as well use the good old talkhaus for that.

So long story short, I loved this game as a child. It has a real fun, adventure-y feel that few other games of its ilk have, and it pushed all of my buttons. I love how the map actually shows Ardy travelling from place to place as the story progresses instead of having a bunch of meaningless dots, and even stuff like the password screen is made fun and interesting (also, since combinations are extremely limited, you can easily find the passwords for every level by simple trial and error, which kid me appreciated since she couldn't beat some of the later levels). I liked this game so much that I'd often play pretend by myself as Ardy, making the story up as I went because I couldn't read english so I didn't know what was going on. That was fun.

I always wanted to play this game again, but I had completely forgot what it was called. Then, one day, I brought it up to a friend and he tried to find it for me, and after a few misfires (Bubsy was one of them, lol), he did manage to find a video of it. Obviously, now that I knew its name, I went ahead and downloaded a ROM to finally go down the nostalgia hole... But unfortunately, it wasn't very good. While it controls fine, the level design is sadly not great. Most levels are either pretty bland or full of cheap gotcha traps that makes it annoying to navigate through them. That is, until you realise that the "turn invisible" move makes you invincible for the entire duration, which nullifies most of the challenge of the game. Can't say adult me was super impressed.

Still, I kinda love this game despite all of its flaws. It does so many neat things that don't really balance out the bad level design, but hold a place in my heart nonetheless. Glad raocow had a good time with it! (even if, yeah, it's not like Sonic at all. XD)
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

maybe a misfire for the project, but man, what a fascinating game despite my never having heard of it! that intro cutscene, the map screen, the invisibility cloak... they really tried some things here.
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Okay Grounder, time to come clean. How'd you get ahold of that mine?
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

smwcp replay when :)
Image Image
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago i have simply not heard of Tearaway Thomas before this exact moment. but i am not too surprised it's a cracked copy ngl! amiga cracking was a very big deal and devs would get just. Livid at game crackers and would leave messages that are both hilarious (see: mad professor mariarti) and also, ironically enough, the main reason we know amiga cracking was such a big deal (and it's all due to angry devs insisting crack groups will never amount to anything and never be remembered--while ensuring they amount to something and will be remembered by some blokes on TCRF)

where were we? oh, right, Tearaway Thomas. last night i mention i joke a lot of Amiga games are just instant cryptids to me. yeah this game is not an exception to this rule! this feels like someone got a hold of Game Maker Classic 7's platformer tutorial (even tho ik game maker didn't exist for amiga) and, in an attempt to make a sonic game without understanding anything about coding, so they just cranked up the player's horizontal speed by like three times as much. even stranger is how it feels like they also tried to make the jumping fast? but it ultimately comes off as very strange to watch overall as sonic's jumps are particularly floaty all things considered. raocow states this is fine enough to control, and i cannot confirm nor deny it, but this is definitely not how sonic controls yet it feels like they tried to do how sonic controls to disasterous results. also what the HECK is that timelimit holy actual cow. this is not friendly to mortals. in short: yes this game is a cryptid to me too.
oh, you know who thomas' controls remind me of? quick man back in mega man day in the limelight 2. what a good game that was

also while some more modern and flexible amiga game engines have come out, you want to look up "backbone" for the generic game maker 7 platformer stuff

and yeah to whoever said it it is quite sad that tearaway 2/super tearaway didn't come to pass. i'm not saying i think tearaway thomas is a hidden gem but i can relate to that feeling of being so excited to get to work on something that you verbally write checks that you can't cash

also the unseen villain's name is dr. oiram
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

oh! speaking of game maker here's a not-sonic literally made in it!

https://www.dosgamesarchive.com/downloa ... e-lobster/

not the one we all know by mark overmars, this was a different one. by recreational software designs. for dos. in 1994. what did language-free indie game development look like back in 1994? did software like that even exist? well now you know!

this game actually got distributed for free AND included in (rsd) game maker as both an example game and template.
it actually wasn't even by the devs - just a superfan who wanted to give the software its own "mascot". i'll say the dude succeeded since he looks like your cool older cousin who never complains about being forced to babysit while his friends are over instead of some vaguely-anime animal!
so you could say that this game does have an air of legitimacy to it if a freeware game doesn't count as a not-sonic - since it WAS on a sold disk and had bonus features accessible by paying (i.e. editing it)
Lord Ruby

Post by Lord Ruby »

:slow: re: Rocky Rodent

A character that loses most offensive capabilities after taking a hit? What is this? SMBX Wario? Ahaha, in more ways that one, I suppose.
EllenHouraisan wrote: 2 years agoI always wanted to play this game again, but I had completely forgot what it was called. Then, one day, I brought it up to a friend and he tried to find it for me, and after a few misfires (Bubsy was one of them, lol), he did manage to find a video of it. Obviously, now that I knew its name, I went ahead and downloaded a ROM to finally go down the nostalgia hole... But unfortunately, it wasn't very good. While it controls fine, the level design is sadly not great. Most levels are either pretty bland or full of cheap gotcha traps that makes it annoying to navigate through them. That is, until you realise that the "turn invisible" move makes you invincible for the entire duration, which nullifies most of the challenge of the game. Can't say adult me was super impressed.

Still, I kinda love this game despite all of its flaws. It does so many neat things that don't really balance out the bad level design, but hold a place in my heart nonetheless. Glad raocow had a good time with it! (even if, yeah, it's not like Sonic at all. XD)
Ah, I was kinda getting that impression. From what I've seen in rao's video, it seems more prone to presenting you with single obstacles or jumps at a time, rather than more elaborate setups, which are more interesting because you can approach them in a variety of ways.
a
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

This series should've been called Sortof the Hedgehog
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Dragon Fogel wrote: 2 years ago Okay Grounder, time to come clean. How'd you get ahold of that mine?
internet
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Bean wrote: 2 years ago Don't really know what to say about Awesome Possum other than I watched how it ends on someone else's video.

That full title is quite literal.

they even repeat the title chorus. it is truly cinematographic

speaking of this and "mick and mac as the global gladiators", it's kind of sad to look back on the 90s nowadays. "recycling was a big lie to fuel the sale of plastic" is a good article about it that sums up the issue - that guilting kids (and adults) into recycling was just a way for corporations to not hold themselves accountable for manufacturing and selling unrecyclable, unamusing, and unnecessary junk.

and now you have people like greta thunberg trying to live the "unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot" message of the lorax and getting death threats for it. i believe seuss had the best of intentions but, at least nowadays, the message just doesn't seem like following it will bear fruit anymore. sorry to get so negative but man, these games REALLY aged poorly in that regard
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

if you think "promoting recycling despite the fact that our capability to do so is extremely undeveloped" is a bad enough message for eco-edutainment, you oughta see how these games feel about nuclear energy!
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris

Post by EllenHouraisan »

:sad:
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

reverse eversion
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

So, if I'm understanding this right... evil scientists grabbed a guy from prehistoric times, gave him a modern day outfit, named him Kid Chaos, and sent him out into the world to destroy flowers?

Is there more to the premise than that? I mean, I wouldn't expect much even if there is, I'm just curious.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

Shadow the Hedgehog: "Death to all who oppose me!"

Kid Chaos: "Death to all
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i was so worried whizz was gonna be him taking a piss but thankfully god has blessed us today. also this game looks actually fun! goes up there with thomas. i haven't heard of this one in the few amiga videos i've seen. surprising since it's published by ocean. need to get around to exploring retro euro games,,

as for mayhem, it looked cute but it's a shame the trainer got in the way

kid chaos is also gender feels to me. protects my horrible dennis and gnasher ass eurojank son.
Image Image
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

i love how magnetic fields' equivalent of the Super Sonic Spin Attack was just a fuckin' baseball bat kid chaos is definitely bisexual

also judging by the ending kid chaos is history's first erased-from-history bisexual

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

the trans dude in that pic oh my god. friend,
Image Image
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

The sequel to Kid Chaos is looking pretty good.

camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

EllenHouraisan wrote: 2 years ago Image

:sad:
this is so sad can we hit 50 fart buttons
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner