(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by KobaBeach »

Past Neko Forest, Carbuckle Island and Babel Dome in Treasure Hunter G. The game has become a wee bit easier, but it's still fun~

Also Carbuckle should be Korpokkur based entirely on a guess but w/e, the Trials of Mana fan translation people didn't know what it was either
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

I probably should wait until after I've beaten the game once to try and not lose anybody in Fire Emblem but dammit I don't like losing people or resources.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

raekuul wrote: 2 years ago I probably should wait until after I've beaten the game once to try and not lose anybody in Fire Emblem but dammit I don't like losing people or resources.
I've never ever done an ironman run (never reset for a death) in an FE game lol it's just not worth the trouble. Especially if you have my kind of luck where you lose your best units to stupid BS. Losing resources is more tricky because yeah it can suck to lose a good weapon or item, but sometimes you just have to accept the loss. Also, if you're emulating don't feel bad about using savestates.

I beat Ys IX!! I had a ton of fun with the game and it really grew on me. At first I was not liking it much at all, but as the game went on and more of the cast was introduced, and as the plot developed, I started liking it more. It was cool seeing Ys V acknowledged beyond one line that establishes where the game is chronologically, even if Falcom doesn't feel like remaking it? At the moment anyway. Kondo has said that the next Ys game is going to be Ys X, not V Remake. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
The Switch port works pretty well, I only ever had one crash, and the lower framerate in big areas and occasional lags didn't bother me in the slightest. It's definitely viable if one wanted a portable version of Ys IX.
I should really get back to Trails to Azure, a replay of Cold Steel 1&2 as it's been 5 years since I played them, Cold Steel 3&4, before Trails into Reverie drops. That won't happen until 2023 so I have some time :lol:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

At the second pyramid, the Large Pyramid in Treasure Hunter G. The walkthrough I'm using is ancient, see below:
This will make the Flame flash (if you're using the Snes9x emulator, then turn off one of the layers using keys 1, 2, 3, or 4. If you're using ZSNES and can't see the flash, then change the screen mode to 640x480 VESA2 to activate transparencies).
Then again no one in the west cares about THG. Made lots of dosh (Giv) by selling old stuff I don't need. The game is getting a bit hard again, at least in Hello's Cave, barrel boyos, Rippers and Evil Slugs are really mean.

I was going back for the Heal and Record Statues at the start of the dungeon after every battle, a problem when the final room resets the enemy positions (had to do two battles again, just avoided everything I could in the final room in my second run, only doing one battle at the end). Thankfully the Small Pyramid was just after this. The Small Pyramid was alright, but the coffin room was a bit annoying. Thankfully the Mummies weren't too troublesome, the Evil Beasts were a bit but, eeeh.

I'm at the Record Statue and Heal Statue in the Large Pyramid, the Rocks were a neat enemy. Kinda wanna do every battle in the next room, so I can be prepared for the

Cockatrices

and

the Dark Lady

, already did one formation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday, I did the following Quests in Fallout:
Talk to Katrina
Recruit Ian
Stop the Radscorpions
Make Poison Antidote
Vault 15 portion of Find the Water Chip
Improve Shady Sands' Agriculture
Rescue Tandi from the Raiders (Bargaining branch)
Rescue Sinthia

Didn't realize I could heal Jarvis, I thought he was dead! I'll do that later, was gonna do the Gizmo quest chain (Save Killian's life, Get Gizmo's confession, Stop Gizmo). Giving Fallout another shake, I'm really appreciating the amount of shit you can do in this game, the amount of dialogue options and the many paths you can take to solve things, it's very thorough. Also kind of appreciating the adult tone and its themes even if the aesthetics are a bit drab lol.

Really glad I'm being able to get into WRPGs even if I'm using a walkthrough to help me find my way through, the walkthrough I first used was pretty bad, I'm now using one in Github that explains things a lot better and details the many options you have at your disposal. The walkthrough does have a really dumb disclaimer that's like "you shouldn't use a walkthrough for this because your route through the game should be your own" but like if I don't know what I have at my disposal how do you expect me to play it properly, this isn't a tabletop RPG where you can mostly trust the DM to not TPK you over dumb shit. lol

Thinking of doing Ultima VII, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate once I'm done with this and maybe THG. There are some JRPGs I wanna focus on as well:
Wild Arms 3
Trails in the Sky FC
A Tear of Vermillion PSP (and PC98, which is untranslated, but later, might use NP2fmgen for fast forwarding grind)
Summon Night 2 (untranslated)
Summon Night Swordcraft Story 2
Brain Lord and Mystic Ark
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue PSX
PoPoRogue (untranslated)
Far East of Eden Ziria (untranslated)
Growlanser 1 (or whichever is the easiest, 1 and 6 are untranslated)
Langrisser 1 or Der Langrisser (2 SNES, in other words)
Power of the Hired
Final Fantasy Tactics
Tactics Ogre (and Ogre Battle SNES)
Shining Force CD, SF Gaiden: Final Conflict, in the Darkness
Digital Devil Monogatari: Megami Tensei II (SNES, Kyuuyaku)
The English version of Beyond the Beyond (shit game, hot goblins and orcs tho)
Dark Wizard
Phantasy Star II
Cosmic Fantasy 1 (untranslated) & 2
Sakura Wars 1
Parasite Eve
Brave Fencer Musashi
Threads of Fate
Vagrant Story
Xenogears
Chrono Cross
Front Mission
Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon PSX, Torneko's Mystery Dungeon SNES, Shiren the Wanderer
Racing Lagoon (untranslated for now)
Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix
Sword of Mana
Azure Dreams
Vandal Hearts
Thousand Arms (full frontal assault of sexism yeehaw /sarcasm)
Exile PCECD/MD and Exile: Wicked Phenomenon
Alundra 1&2
Final Fantasy X-2, XII, Crisis Core
My ongoing playthroughs of Unlimited Saga, Mega Man Battle Network and Dragon Quest V
Continue Arc the Lad III (English), Terranigma (English), Star Ocean: Second Story (English), Albert Odyssey SNES (untranslated), maybe Sengoku TURB Dreamcast (untranslated for now)
So while I might do a few of them at once, it won't be all of them.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Started playing Cosmic Fantasy: Bouken Shounen Yuu as a lark, also I wasn't in the mood for THG or FO1. Basically did everything from Bane Village to Mars City. The Kobold King at Bohda Forest was easy enough without grinding. The Loghdahl (sp?) at the Mountain Cave was a bit of a pain but strategic Psychic ability and Herb usage helped. The Dhruv at the Herb Islet was a pain but spamming herbs helped. Gaia of the Earth was a bitch, I had to grind to Lv16 as Yuu for the Psychobomb, Saya just leveled up to 11 as is.

The dungeons are pretty barren, the battle system is super simple, graphics and audio outside of cutscenes is very rudimentary, its very much one of Telenet's earliest RPGs. It reminds me a lot of Vay, honestly, but Vay had worse looking cutscene visuals. For what little plot is there, it tries to make you feel involved in the world, in Penette Village there is a kid, Amul, who went into the Mountain Cave to rescue his dad, you end up rescuing him after seeing the pile of bones and gore of the Loghdahl's previous victims, which bestows you Psychic powers from literally your hot bloodedness and justice (okay maybe not literally, but it's basically love and bravery swelling inside or something, it's just plot triggered magic).

Small events like this end up granting you EXP and gold as rewards, similar to say quests in Fallout, but much more shallow. There are also special guest party members which, don't really do anything but serve as sort of really primitive party chat? Eh. I also really like Nyan's design, Saya and Yuu look lovely as well. The stock "hero runs into heroine taking a bath and she gets mad" scene in Syliss was dumb but I'm used to it from watching Doraemon so. Reminded me of Gdleen on SNES a bit with the cheesecake Fahna bath scene at the start. This game feels a bit like a galge, like you're kind of meant to imprint on Saya?

Also there is like a mouse bike that you can use as fast travel to previously visited towns called Monmo (man way to rip this off 7th saga) and honestly he's the best character after Nyan.
Image Image
Nast

Post by Nast »

Beat Escape Goat, cleared world 1 of the postgame too. That was a really dramatic difficulty spike at the end. Fun game though, it feels like a lost GBA game or something which I like. I will say some levels in the main game felt like non-puzzles, like there'd be these elaborate set-ups that you can mostly ignore. Maybe it's like that on purpose, I dunno

Beat Kero Blaster too, which I enjoyed quite a bit. Just simple and mostly mindless Cave Story-style running and gunning. Not sure if I'll tackle Zangyou mode right away or leave it for later down the line.

And also beat Sonic Classic 2, a fangame that came out during SAGE 2021. Apparently it was in development for like 11 years. It's really neat and I want to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it's way too unstable as of yet. I reached the final boss and attempted it countless times only to have it softlock each time - I really can't defend that. If they ever release a more stable version I'll gladly give it a replay, but right now I'd be hesitant to do so.

Speaking of SAGE, I tried out a bunch of demos before I kinda burned out, there's just no way you can try everything. Lots of neat stuff though. Definitely wanna highlight Project Rascal, a really cool take on 3D Sonic gameplay only as an original IP.

Been racing Pokémon HeartGold with friends, all three of us are at Victory Road at this point though I'm lagging behind a bit. Not all that confident in my chances to win but I'm mostly in it to have fun.

Metroid Fusion's been sitting in my computer for a while so I finally gave that a go. It's a little early to pass proper judgment, but it's fun so far. Might take a little while to get used to how much faster and weightier it feels compared to Super Metroid.

Almost forgot I tried Strider on Genesis too, and boy was I miserable. I'm sure the arcade version is way better?? But as far as I'm concerned this one's a mess in nearly every department, especially the controls. It's got very cool ideas and setpieces for sure, and I've no doubt that for the time it was a really impressive arcade port - maybe it was just too ahead of its time. I'll give the arcade release a fair shot someday.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Picked up Hypnospace Outlaw for the Switch. It's just as quirky as it was when I saw so-and-so streaming it a couple years back. I'm too busy browsing hypnospace to actually do any enforcing :calleoca:

Also I'm starting to feel the same kind of "beating my head against a brick wall" sensation that I was getting in Disgaea with Fire Emblem: The One That Opens With Lyn but at the same time I know about how long the game should go - GBA Fire Emblems and Advance Warses have roughly the same number of missions as each other - so I still feel like I can tough it out. Also the fact that the game remembers how many times I lose a given unit is also good incentive to not abuse save states but it takes forever to restart a mission...

Also Jupiter Hell
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago
Wild Arms 3
Trails in the Sky FC
A Tear of Vermillion PSP (and PC98, which is untranslated, but later, might use NP2fmgen for fast forwarding grind)
Summon Night 2 (untranslated)
Summon Night Swordcraft Story 2
Brain Lord and Mystic Ark
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue PSX
PoPoRogue (untranslated)
Far East of Eden Ziria (untranslated)
Growlanser 1 (or whichever is the easiest, 1 and 6 are untranslated)
Langrisser 1 or Der Langrisser (2 SNES, in other words)
Power of the Hired
Final Fantasy Tactics
Tactics Ogre (and Ogre Battle SNES)
Shining Force CD, SF Gaiden: Final Conflict, in the Darkness
Digital Devil Monogatari: Megami Tensei II (SNES, Kyuuyaku)
The English version of Beyond the Beyond (shit game, hot goblins and orcs tho)
Dark Wizard
Phantasy Star II
Cosmic Fantasy 1 (untranslated) & 2
Sakura Wars 1
Parasite Eve
Brave Fencer Musashi
Threads of Fate
Vagrant Story
Xenogears
Chrono Cross
Front Mission
Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon PSX, Torneko's Mystery Dungeon SNES, Shiren the Wanderer
Racing Lagoon (untranslated for now)
Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix
Sword of Mana
Azure Dreams
Vandal Hearts
Thousand Arms (full frontal assault of sexism yeehaw /sarcasm)
Exile PCECD/MD and Exile: Wicked Phenomenon
Alundra 1&2
Final Fantasy X-2, XII, Crisis Core
My ongoing playthroughs of Unlimited Saga, Mega Man Battle Network and Dragon Quest V
Continue Arc the Lad III (English), Terranigma (English), Star Ocean: Second Story (English), Albert Odyssey SNES (untranslated), maybe Sengoku TURB Dreamcast (untranslated for now)
This is such a powerful list
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 2 years ago I really feel like I must have played more than this, but... this seems to be it for now.
:pal:
Guess who's back, Bob is back, don't tell a friend that would be weird :kood:

May:

Cat Quest! Played the whole thing twice through in an insomniac late-night session (9h). It's a very light and fluffy RPG with very basic combat and spells, repetitive dungeons and a lot of charm but minimal substance. The quests and story are all very familiar but I found it oddly compelling enough to play through again on NG+ and complete all the dungeons, side quests and max out my level. Not a deep experience but it suited what I needed at the time.

June:

EXAPUNKS! A programming game by Zachtronics (Spacechem, Opus Magnum etc.) in an alternate cyberpunk world where almost everything is done by nanobots, and you're dying of a disease turning your body into scrap circuitry. Program nanobots to solve problems and hack banks! Comes with the now-traditional printable manual, which this time takes the form of a hacker 'zine explaining how to commit crimes and get away with it, not that anyone does that kind of thing (wink wink nudge nudge). The story overall is nothing spectacular but the individual puzzles and their surprisingly varied themes are great - breaking region encryption on an import games console in particular resonated with me for no reason directly connected to my personal history at all (nudge nudge wink wink). The extra challenges and the symmetric offline PvP challenges are clever too - one Azure Lazuline of Copy Kitty fame bested me with a hilariously bullshit strategy on one of those maps and left me calling her an "INGENIOUS MONSTER" and "BLUE DEVIL" in her own chatroom. Absolutely recommend this one to programmers or anyone with even light scripting experience, it's a ride and the best of the programming titles I've played (TIS-100, Shenzhen I/O).

Teardown! A voxel-based feisty heist adventure, in which you must demolish and loot environments - but the moment you trip an alarm, usually by taking the first item on your "shopping list", you have 60 seconds to grab everything else and get out. A delight for both improvisational chaos and meticulous planning/demolition. Apparently just part one of an unknown sum, this is the rare early access title I've played and thoroughly enjoyed and would recommend as-is! I especially enjoyed the sequences you can create with vehicles, or testing the absolute limits of the alarm tethers.

July:

We Know The Devil! A visual novel about three students at a summer-camp with the usual problems - bullies, creepy counsellors, and God on the radio telling you you're gonna be turned inside-out and worn by the devil like a finger-puppet. Angsty teenage horror movie tropes aside, this queer as fuck vn is a goddamn delight. I won't spoil the endings nor the mechanics or even the three leads, but one interesting thing about it is that you don't play as anyone in particular - you're not some faceless dating sim protagonist, you are not a character, you're just observing these three teens and guiding how their long night goes in an empty cabin in the woods with only eachother and their radios - and some extremely questionable "alcohol" - for company. It's short, clocking in at only around 40m for a first playthrough, but subsequent playthroughs to see all the endings are strongly recommended. Being a VN, it has the traditional fast-forward options for those repeats, avoiding the issue games like Oxenfree have. Even with repeats it'll still only clock in at 2 hours tops, but it's worth it all the same. It resonated pretty deeply with me. Maybe it will resonate with you?

Heaven Will Be Mine! A visual novel by the same people as We Know The Devil carrying on the same themes - IN SPACE! Taking inspiration from stories like Gundam, Evangelion, Zone of the Enders, and The Expanse, three young pilots of spacefaring Ship-Selves (super robots) fight and make out to influence and reshape the factions trying to seize control of the future of humanity in space - those who would close the door on space, those who would pursue the stars, and those who would break away from the very concept of humanity entirely. If I say that We Know The Devil resonated with me, this struck a deep chord that still reverberates. It may "just" be a visual novel, and even lose some of the simple things that made Devil stand out (lack of a direct protagonist, one route with many paths) instead having a character-select up front and all decisions being binary, but this story absolutely awed me. Again, it's very delightfully gay and upfront about it, and the art is trippy and vague, but the emotional impact for me was absolutely criticial. Giant robots and space are cool and ridiculous. I own a shirt now. I love it. If you enjoy WKTD, play HWBM.

Paperball! It's a cute indie Not Monkey Ball with a furry catgirl's art project as the frame story. It's good, but clearly made for Monkey Ball veterans and too dang hard for me past the first two difficulties... but it does have Brian Matt as an optional announcer voice!

Pikuniku! An anarchically strange platformer about being some kind of oval with wobbly legs named Piku wandering out into a cartoony and silly world beset by a saturday morning cartoon version of capitalism. It feels like playing an episode of Gumball or Adventure Time at the best moments, and like a bad SMBX episode at its worst. Cheerful and strange but insubstantial! It has a two-player co-op mode with its own unique stages and gimmicks if you'd like a strange couch co-op platformer to play with a friend or a fiancé. Great music, again quite strange, but very memorable.

Monolith! A top-down twin-stick (or mouse-and-keyboard) shooter roguelike, where you play as a tiny spaceship venturing into a procedurally generated death labyrinth of machines, cultists, skulls and ghosts. There's some real tone/mood whiplash going on here at times and I'm quite sure it's wholly deliberate. I beat the "final" boss and then unlocked all the seals from the shop and two optional bosses to go into the floor beyond that boss, but have yet to beat that - a progression structure similar to (but not quite as complicated or layered) as Binding of Isaac, with which it shares similar map layout and secrets rooms, but thankfully not aesthetics. I have had a good time with it but have yet to put the extra time and effort into finishing it. Another one on the "apparently I do actually like roguelikes" list! Good pacing, good structure, delightful music.

Rez Infinite! I finally came back to this beloved game - the third time I've owned it, first being PS2 and again on the Xbox 360 - and showcased it for some friends on Discord, and played from beginning to end and even got the "good" ending for the first time (beating the finale without taking a single hit). Wonderful experience and great to share - narrating the sections from Fear to my entranced friends was a joy.

August

A Monster's Expedition! In the much the same style of Stephen's Sausage Roll, a quaint British sokoban about rolling 2x1 cylinders on little islands. This time, instead of a man with a fork rolling sausages, you're a monster in an outdoor museum pushing over trees to make bridges and rafts and examine funny little exhibitions from "Englandland". It's very good, but halfway through playing it, the game updated and added way more islands and more puzzling puzzles!! I've managed to get to the end of the game proper, but still have a number of exhibits and snowmen (from the developer's previous game A Good Snowman is Hard to Build) to find. It's a nice one to come back to, very calm, and without the dark meaty twists and vicious difficulty curve of Sausage.

Clockwork Calamity in Mushroom World: What would you do if the time stopped ticking?! A bouncy-physics exploration platform by sylvie and hubol of prior fame for Cat Planet, Craz'd! and JIGGLY ZONE. It features a dark magic called "procedural generation" to make some of the explorable zones, containing rare mushrooms you will trade with NPCs to obtain other items, and ultimately the 12 hands of the clock needed to restore time to this strange mushroomy world and its funny inhabitants. Starts slow, but gets very very good and is a delight overall. If you recognise the names behind this, you know what you're getting into.

Induction! A time-loop cube-moving game, where you repeat your own actions to enable yourself to reach the exit - but you have to make sure the loop is stable and not interrupt your past self's progression. The level has to ultimately be able to complete "indefinitely"! A fun puzzle game but one I'm taking slowly. The aesthetic is very sterile, just being solid colours and isometric cubic levels.

Tetris Effect: Connected! From the same team that brought us Rez and its remaster Infinite comes a trippy and beautiful take on the iconic action-puzzle from Russia. The game's main mechanical addition to the formula found elsewhere in Tetris 99 and Puyo Puyo Tetris is the Zone mechanic, which allows you to pause the regular timer and drop blocks as you see fit, with cleared lines automatically moving downwards and clearing only when the Zone timer expires, allowing even amateurs to clear upwards of 10 lines at once. The titular additional mode of this extended edition, Connected, is a delight with friends - three vs AI battle-Tetris where after a certain number of line clears, the three players' grids connect into one ultrawide grid with the Zone mechanic enabled, letting you pile some serious damage on the boss board and shut down their gimmicks for a brief while. Other than that, the music is beautiful, the visuals are wonderful, but it is still Tetris. Go watch the best trailer ever made if you wanna know if it's for you.

Tabletop Simulator! I've been playing some board games! Bullet❤️is a bullet-hell magical-girl puzzle, Red Dragon Inn is a fun game about drinking, Carcassonne is a countryside builder where you claim castles and farms and roads, Azul is a delightful tile-building game, Xia: Legends of a Drift System is tabletop Elite, Root is a brutal and highly asymmetric simulation of Redwall... and with a totally different group I've been playing the extremely dry yet still quite fun Time of Crisis: The Roman Empire in Turmoil, 235-284 AD. I'm not gonna do writeups for all of them, but they're all good in different ways.

I've also been playing Fall Guys (59 wins now) and Warframe as always. I think that's most of everything I've played, but I may come back and amend this later today.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

We Know the Devil was really good
Venus' character as a transwoman myself really resonated with me
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat Cosmic Fantasy: Bouken Shounen Yuu. Cumbersome, is a word I'd use to describe this game.

Its beautiful cutscene art and character design is basically the highest point of the game. While the music and in-game graphics are pretty ugly, the biggest problem is the weird alterations in the Dragon Quest formula, like Yuu's psychic powers (his magic) being triggered only at certain plot points, that make this feel worse than DQ. The difficulty is also super jank, with encounters that can gang up on Yuu and make you fuck off back to your last save, without the extra EXP because this game's death system is just like that and also, party leader dies = total party kill a la FFXIII.

I also had to like savescum at one point because I borderline softlocked myself into being stuck at a place with hard encounters and a petrified Saya. And I couldn't reach a town that sold Moondrops (the de-stoning item) because I passed through a cave and the talking mouse bike that serves as fast travel, Monmo, seemingly can't go through dungeons. Cue savescumming my way into avoiding the encounter tiles and trying to reach Mars' item shop.

Nearing the end, the difficulty also went kind of dumb because I mostly followed the strategy of this site's walkthrough, and basically cast Io (ally defense up) and Norum (enemy defense down) but added my own twist where I cast Through (all hits of the ally who had it cast on are crits. You Read That Right) on Yuu because he had psychic powers the entire endgame and it wasn't worth it to spam Psycho Bomb 2 on the later ones and burn through his MP. With Saya's Lightning Staff in the end game courtesy of the Sage in the island of the Gran Calibur, I was basically doing ~250 HP damage on bosses each round, with the occasional heal on Saya's end using Lana (one ally heal for 30/80/full HP) or Lanat (all allies heal for 20/80 HP).

And how enemies give you lots of EXP and Gold by the midgame I basically reached Max Gold (65535) letting me just stock up on Elixirs (one ally full HP/MP heal) which are like 400 Gold?? And before the penultimate final dungeon, Nyan gives you like a whole bunch of Panaceas (Yuu and Saya full HP/MP heal). I did burn through those during the final boss battle but I still beat him in the end so. Also the final boss, the space pirate Bacchus, comes completely out of nowhere, I wasn't able to grasp the cutscene dialogue because I'm bad at Japanese but I think he sent the evil creatures to attack the planet Norg and orchestrate the revival of Morgan, the penultimate boss and the Dragon Quest evil king (queen rather) of the game, for the lulz.

As a positive, there is an enemy literally named Uchuu Ninja, which is Japanese for Space Ninja and that's the tightest shit ever. With all of this said and all the complaining I did I feel like it still warrants a playthrough if for anything, then as an early CD-ROM RPG and the start of a small series, it had like four games and a Mega CD compilation of 1&2 I think. Mind the Japanese, only 2 is translated and by Working Designs, no idea of what balance adjustments they did.

Either way Telenet is pretty cool, cheesecake horndog shit or not. I did like the character index at the end, and the little sweepstakes thingy for Tomorrows merch (I assume that's like a VN or something? seems to be a merch shop) that went on in this game's release, it shows that heart was put in this game, despite its flaws. Also in the character index, every bio is opened with the character (Yuu, Saya and Monmo at least) being taken a photo of while in the shower (or in Monmo's case, the bike wash and repair office in Yuu's ship) by Nyan, so. Oof. No naughty bits as they're like 14 (Yuu), 16 (Saya) and a literal motorcycle (Monmo). But content warning. They get upset and they undress Nyan and take a photo of him covering himself up which I vibe with, catmen exist to be objectified /hardsarcasm

Also I wrote a whole thing about Cosmic Fantasy and the design thought that goes into Dragon Quest type games, check it out if you want. Narf and my friend Sraëka-Lillian inspired me.
BurntTenda wrote: 2 years ago This is such a powerful list
please don't encourage my inner demons /joke
also update your pronouns you dingus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you forgot :c

EDIT: I beat Treasure Hunter G and it says a lot about the final boss that I wrote like an entire wall of text on it.

EDIT 2: playing summon night 2 and nesty and resi are my favorite characters. at chapter 3: A Reunion and a Farewell ~Parting Road~
Image Image
Onurubu
Head in the clouds, where it's hard to breathe

Post by Onurubu »

Currently playing Hades on my PC and I have been loving it so much. OST is fire and the gameplay is so much fun, my favourite weapons are the shield and the assault rifle. Also playing Persona 5 Royal on my PS4. Played the original back in 2017 during my final year of high school so playing this one is reminding me of nice memories as well as new stuff from Royal.

I'm playing OMORI on my youtube channel although it is going very slowly because UNI work is taking up a lot of my time. Really want to dedicate more time to it, but I haven't been able to focus on my channel as much as I want to this year.

Playing Fallout 2 with my Girlfriend, we finished Fallout 1 two weeks ago, it was her first time playing a Fallout game, I played Fallout 1 for the first time in 2018 in summer holidays and absolutely loved it. Started Fallout 2 in 2018 as well but got like 10 hours in before dropping it. So I am looking froward to finishing it finally.

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago Yesterday, I did the following Quests in Fallout:
I'm glad someone else is going through the classic Fallout games as well right now. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes on your playthrough.
Perpetually distracted
:trans_pride: :pan_pride:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Phantasy Star II I've mostly pulled an all-nighter through the start of the game, then continued when I woke up... Two hours after I fell asleep. Oop. Basically nearing the end of the Motavia (Mota) portion, unlocking the dams. Somehow after playing some more janky, more Dragon Quest-ish titles like Vay or Cosmic Fantasy, I've kind of grown fonder of what Phantasy Star II is doing, warts and all. It feels a bit lesser than Phantasy Star I, especially with those jank ass dungeons, but it has its own charm.

Nei's death

still hurts.

Summon Night 2 (untranslated) I'm at Chapter 3, recruited Folte, Keina and Amer. I'm kind of glad that it seems that

Agluvain isn't gonna kick the bucket for a cheap audience punch like your average hot dilf in weeb media (gilf in this case)

. Seeing Mimosa, Gibson and Sion again felt like coming back home, even if I beat the first game just earlier this year.

Resi (the Guardian Beast I chose, a Maetropan) and Nesty are super adorbs, I'm gonna try to get Nesty's ending as the female MC, Toris (I like her design better, sorry Magna). Seeing Seijent in the world map just filled me with hype, I seriously hope we visit it, since we already visited Amer's village, Relm in Chapter 2. Folte is my kind of man tbh, and I relate to Keina's slapping. Amer is kind of the moeblob, I hope she gets developed further beyond "waifu", she is basically the other ending you can get (I think you can get them with either gender, not sure).

Also the first battle in Chapter 1 kinda kicked my ass. Didn't buy F-Aids like an idiot and I saved in the pre-battle screen so I had to be more strategic and there was little room for error since it's your first battle and you don't have a chance to gain EXP or make any Summon oaths in Free Battles (it's a strategy RPG fyi, don't confuse it with the Swordcraft subseries on the GBA, of which I should play the latter two, Swordcraft Story 2 and The Stone of Beginnings).

It's alright, I had to use a gameplay video for strategy because I'm a dummy but it's the kind of strategy that gave me good brain feels and made me go "how did I not think of that". The biggest issue is the axe user amongst the group of bandits, who has slightly high defense. The endless dialogue sessions are a bit boring since they drag on, gameplay outside of battles is very adventure/visual novel based, but the characters and gameplay help liven things up.

Now I'm trying to keep stuff like what the LPer did in mind for story battles. Position the cast so Nesty can strike with Bezusoh's Gear Blues summon attack on the stronger enemies, while Resi and Toris can strike from the sides or behind for optimal damage, with my addition of drawing them in by standing right outside of their range of movement, I can more or less replace this with other strong units and summons. Most early enemy units also only have a walk range of like 3, which can be checked in the menus, not sure which kanji is it though, haha! Free battles can be repeated and they kind of work in a flow chart sort of way? if you move the same spaces every time, the battle is the same every time, at least in SN1.

Also the opening FMV is so powerful I love this stupid barely translated franchise so much oh my fucking god

Onurubu wrote: 2 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago Yesterday, I did the following Quests in Fallout:
I'm glad someone else is going through the classic Fallout games as well right now. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes on your playthrough.
It and Ultima 1 (still need to get back to it) are my first WRPGs. I've played JRPGs ever since my late childhood/early teenhood, not counting the time I was exclusively playing Pokémon in the JRPG department, so I've been interested in breaking into classic WRPGs sooner or later. It's really hard to get into at first because of how it expects you to experiment and actually roleplay without handholding you so you can have full freedom to make it your own story, so I'm using a guide to help me find quests and solutions that fit my personality, approaching this like I did the Romancing SaGa subseries is helping a bit.

I'm personally enjoying it, I'm impressed at how there's a solution for almost every character setup, be it Mentats, speech checks, intelligence/charisma checks... On top of that, the dialogue is rich and plentiful, as expected of a computer game (not just Western ones either, the Gagharv trilogy and Trails in the Sky is proof of that, and on the Korean end I assume Arcturus is also pretty extensive? It did inspire TitS, so). Very pleasantly surprised. I'm taking a break right now, beat Treasure Hunter G (with a slightly buggy translation patch from 2002 that makes some odd localization choices*) and Cosmic Fantasy 1 (untranslated, sadly) and I'm giving Phantasy Star II another go, didn't beat it yet, as well as starting Summon Night 2 for the first time.

If you can't tell, I love RPGs, it may seem a bit ignorant but they've basically opened my eyes to video games with actual plotlines and characters beyond like platformer mascots. They're a hyperfixation of mine to the point that I'm trying to practice writing about them as of the past two days?

* - like Bone Dino for Jormungandr? lack of space? the final dungeon is literally Yggdrasil, but they translated it literally as the World Tree. I understand not getting Korpokkur tho, Ainu culture isn't the most well known in the west and I think even the original Trials of Mana translation patch messed that up.
Image Image
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Finished playing around with endings in Shadowrun Dragonfall; for the best, the bad ending, the one I originally got ends halfway through the final level. The second half isn't very good though.

The bad ending gives you an alternate final boss, which I feel is a lot harder than the true final boss, and quite emotionally charged.

Depending on a choice made in the penultimate level you can snag an optional party member for the last one,

PANZERDRHONE

, who is pretty much the most useless party member in the game.

It isn't affected by most buffs, has horrible action economy, can't get through small passages, and isn't affected by the full party heal right before the final boss.

There's a small connection between Dragonfall and the fist campaign Dead Man's Switch in a the form of a quick appearance by

Lofwyr, who fucks off right before the final act of the first game.

. You know buddy, we could have used your help saving the world back in Seattle, but conducting a job interview was more important. This must be the "sigma male grindset" I keep hearing about.

So, I've been flipping through some Shadowrun game books to get a better feeling for the setting. It was a clever decision to make the character Feuerschwinge a focal point.

First, one of the books describes Feuerschwinge as "the most obscure great dragon" which means the character have no clue who she, is and thus there's an excuse to explain to the party (and the player) just what her deal is. (Ironically, because of the video game, Feuerschwinge is one of the most popular great dragons out of universe.) You would think that a dragon emerging and slaughtering a good chunk of Germany's rural population in a four month reign of terror would be something people would remember, but 2012 was a weird year, and such an event wasn't quite newsworthy.

Second, either by design, or by the chaos caused by the rights to Shadowrun bouncing between twelve and a third companies in the 00's, Feuerschwinge is very much a Schrödinger's NPC. She exists, but almost all the lore around her is pretty ambiguous; she might even be long dead prior to the events of the tabletop game. This means that the video game can have different endings, where different things can happen to Feuerschwinge, and it doesn't necessarily contradict canon, or whatever your GM had planned for their game. Maybe none of the endings happened. Maybe Feuerschwinge and

Vauclair

decide they got off on the wrong foot, make up, become friends, and spend their time hanging out up in the mountains, smoking weed, and prank calling great dragon Hestaby.

After all, the real dragon hoard was the friendships we made along the way.
Onurubu

Post by Onurubu »

Kleetus wrote: 2 years ago Finished playing around with endings in Shadowrun Dragonfall; for the best, the bad ending, the one I originally got ends halfway through the final level. The second half isn't very good though.

The bad ending gives you an alternate final boss, which I feel is a lot harder than the true final boss, and quite emotionally charged.

Depending on a choice made in the penultimate level you can snag an optional party member for the last one,

PANZERDRHONE

, who is pretty much the most useless party member in the game.

It isn't affected by most buffs, has horrible action economy, can't get through small passages, and isn't affected by the full party heal right before the final boss.

There's a small connection between Dragonfall and the fist campaign Dead Man's Switch in a the form of a quick appearance by

Lofwyr, who fucks off right before the final act of the first game.

. You know buddy, we could have used your help saving the world back in Seattle, but conducting a job interview was more important. This must be the "sigma male grindset" I keep hearing about.

So, I've been flipping through some Shadowrun game books to get a better feeling for the setting. It was a clever decision to make the character Feuerschwinge a focal point.
I started playing shadowfall returns in 2018 and was enjoying it so much. However I dropped it like halfway through and haven’t touched since. Maybe I should try playing it again.
Perpetually distracted
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

:mgmnds: :mgmnds: :mgmnds: :mgmnds:

me after phantasy star ii

this game sucks shit from every angle

gave up after reaching mother brain
with cheat codes to run from every battle on noah
and to buy star mist at paseo
because shir's stealing mechanic is a joke

:mgmnds: :mgmnds: :mgmnds: :mgmnds:
Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 2 years ago Tabletop Simulator! I've been playing some board games! Bullet❤️is a bullet-hell magical-girl puzzle, Red Dragon Inn is a fun game about drinking, Carcassonne is a countryside builder where you claim castles and farms and roads, Azul is a delightful tile-building game, Xia: Legends of a Drift System is tabletop Elite, Root is a brutal and highly asymmetric simulation of Redwall... and with a totally different group I've been playing the extremely dry yet still quite fun Time of Crisis: The Roman Empire in Turmoil, 235-284 AD. I'm not gonna do writeups for all of them, but they're all good in different ways.
Campaign for North Africa when

Anyway, finished two games this week:
Axiom Verge 2 I 100%edThe this week. I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I loved the setting of Kiengir and how it leans into Sumerian/Akkadian mythos, I especially loved the Anatolian/Levantine music. Game was fun to mull about and figure things out, and I only really pulled out a guide for the last couple health and skill point pick-ups. The game gets really creative with using your skills to reveal hidden stuff, and that was cool. The game's "second half" (i.e. when you

lose control of your original body and become the Morph Ball drone

) is extremely cool. I like that the game doesn't have "bosses" in the traditional sense, because while they do exist, you can just skip them if you want, and you're given wide latitude on how to handle them. The only two boss fights you have to fight are essentially unloseable. So that's really nice. It definitely emphasizes melee over ranged combat, but it was still fun.

Story thoughts, spoilers ahoy:
I forgot that Hammond was mentioned in Axiom Verge as well.

Can't wait for the TQ+ community to claim Hammond was actually GQ/trans/NB and not just a character who hadn't been completely thought out by Happ when she first appeared 🙄

With that said, the whole idea that Hammond is dead all along, and you're actually speaking to her spirit in the "afterlife" - along with the fact that the afterlife is not only just another reality/universe, but also really a prison - was really interesting. It opens up a lot of questions about how life actually works in the Axiom Verge universe. The fact that Indra (in her original body) comes back at the end and saves you is rather insane. There were also some weirdly trippy moments, particularly the newspaper clippings from the future, and the fact that the humans in this game become mini-Vedurs from the original game just because you touched them as a drone. There are very clear sequel hooks at the end, particularly the notion that Hammond's spirit was working for someone, the mentions of the PatternMind being the only thing capable of clearing the Breach to see what lies beyond, among other things.

Oh...and while I did call Indra becoming a Rusalka, I did not expect her to be Ophelia. I honestly expected her to be Elsenova. Then again...seems the most plausible.
I also finally played Panzer Dragoon Remake. It was kind of forced on me because a friend I caught up with on vacation wanted to see that particular game in action, so I played the first three episodes on Easy. Given how short the game actually is, I decided to go through the rest. This is a game I really want to enjoy, but one that is brought down by its controls. I have yet to use the "Modern" controls, but the Classic controls are the only ones that allow motion control on the Joy-Cons. Which is fine and dandy, except...instead of linking motion controls to aim, they linked it to movement. Honestly, that doesn't really work well in a rail shooter setting, but it's also just a complete waste to do it that way. Maybe I'll fare better with "Modern" controls, but I dunno. I'll play Normal mode eventually, but not right at this juncture.

I think I'll return to Bully this weekend, along with playing around in Tony Hawk. Next week, I'll start up my Metroid project.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Taking a short break from Fire Emblem The One With Lyn in order to play some NES Zelda. Already up to eight hearts and four deaths, though two of those were from trying to grab the Magic Key without a bow.
Nast

Post by Nast »

Beat zangyou mode in Kero Blaster. I was going into this expecting a straightforward hard mode, but it's pretty much a second campaign with unique levels and bosses. It's still much harder than the main game for sure, but I got really lucky on the final boss and managed to beat it first try with 0 lives remaining and one hit from death. Felt like my heart was beating out of my chest lol. Overall it was a fun if sometimes stressful ride. If I ever replay this game I'll probably just stick to the main campaign for the sake of my mental health.

On the other hand, Escape Goat utterly defeated me. I got about 50% of the postgame done before losing all motivation to continue. Every puzzle devolved into IWBTG, and it wouldn't be right to say that's bad design but it's not what I signed up for and it's certainly not for me. I'm a little bummed because it's otherwise a pretty charming little game and I wanted to give it a thorough playthrough, but it's just not happening.

Started up Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight, an indie metroidvania. Only about 30 minutes into it so I don't have much to say about it yet. Seems pleasant so far

And on a random whim I reluctantly started Phantasy Star IV. I say reluctantly because I'm still intimidated by RPG's, and I wonder if this one's a smart choice for my level of experience. Biggest hurdle so far is that there's no tutorial and no in-game descriptions of techs and skills, so I'll have to keep the manual handy as I play. Otherwise it doesn't seem like it'll be too bad - I mean from what I understand this game is pretty well liked so how hard can it really be to get into
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat Contra III: The Alien Wars. I played the JP version, Contra Spirits, for the 30 lives and infinite continues though. I'm bad at video games !! Overall it's a really fun, bombastic shooter that sadly feels a bit more cruelly designed and less fine-tuned than say, Gunstar Heroes. Either way, for a challenge junkie, this would be something up their alley, and very much worth the grind to 1CC.

Also kind of dropped Mega Man Battle Network because man
Image Image
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

Hey so uhhhhhhhhhhhh Warioware: Get it Together! is like super cool? Just a really fun experience as expected with Wario and the gang! The new microgame mechanics are super fun, and trying to adapt to each game with each character is a lot of fun (Even if at time the solution seems suuuuuuuuuuper unobvious with certain characters, like

5 Volt

or

Pyoro

. I beat the main story today, only took me a couple hours to do too, and now I get access to the whole rest of the game!
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

gave phantasy star 2 a mercy kill by beating it with the help of always run and buying star mist cheat codes

complete

also beat iceman.exe on megaman battle network 1 and i'm at stage 5 in demon's crest
Image Image
Onurubu

Post by Onurubu »

I will be grinding the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer for like 10+ hours this weekend.

The context of why is below but I hid it because of how much I wrote. It started with me trying to give context but mostly just turned into a recollection of random stuff and a weird sort of rant. So read it if you want.
The Mass Effect trilogy is my favourite collection of games ever. It played a big part in my formative years and I love it so much.

Last year around May I started the trilogy again while my girlfriend watched me play the whole thing over discord (we got separated on opposite ends of the country because of lockdown.)

We got through the first game in like 6 weeks, and the second game in around 2 months. Then we started 3 and still haven't finished it. Last time we played it was about November last year.

The remaster of the original trilogy came out this year. Although I am happy that it exists, they changed the graphical style of the first 2 games as well as the gameplay, that is why I didn't really want to switch to the remaster for this playthrough with my GF.

The main reason however is the fact that they removed a certain aspect from Mass Effect 3 that by all means seems objectively "good" but in my mind it takes away from the experience that the original game was going for.
In the original release of Mass Effect 3 to get the best endings for the main Single player campaign you had to play the online Multiplayer mode a lot.

Basically you have war assets and a "galactic readiness" meter in the game that shows how prepared the galaxy is for the final battle. The war assets are collected through the story and side quests in the actual game, however the "readiness" meter can only be raised by playing the multiplayer mode.

Many people rightfully criticised and hated this mechanic in the original release however I always really liked the idea of the multiplayer influencing the campaign (although I believe that you should be able to opt out of the system).

The multiplayer is 4 player co op wave based survival btw. I should add that I have always loved the multiplayer mode and have found it very fun.

Anyway, the remaster removed the multiplayer and therefore also removed this readiness mechanic, and that actually made me quite sad.

In conclusion, for my Girlfriend's first experience of the game I want her to experience the game as it was originally released and presented the same way I did. So today I will begin doing what has made me put ME3 on hold for 10 months, I will begin grinding ME3 multiplayer so that I can finally finish the game sometime this week and finally get to talk about my favourite series freely with my girlfriend.
Perpetually distracted
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

The Legend of Zelda: The Hyrule Fantasy. I forgot how much of a pain in the ass LEVEL-9 is. really glad I'm not planning on going through second quest.

Also still dicking around in early Hypnospace Outlaw, still chipping away at bronze awards in Jupiter Hell (though I should at least be targeting Silver awards instead), and and old addiction has resurfaced as I strive to full-epic my event champions in Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

raekuul wrote: 2 years ago and and old addiction has resurfaced as I strive to full-epic my event champions in Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms.
While Idle Champion isn't something I'm too familiar with. I feel I can say with some certainty that the little theme song they wrote for Arkhan, "You Could Be My Dragon Queen" is one of the greatest and most absurd things that have come out of Dungeons and Dragons in recent years.