(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: All The S@nics - Rush - Earth

Post by Crow »

blaze is here
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

Depending on how willing you are to cheese this game, you may not need any clean-up episodes at all. The way the Special Stages are designed, there's a really easy exploit to make them zero-effort.

Sonic doesn't follow your taps on the touch-screen, but is actually just instantly teleported to wherever you last touched. So, all you need to do is simply pause the game. Look at the screen and determine where you need Sonic to be, hold the stylus up against the screen on the desired spot, then rapidly double-tap the pause button. Sonic will instantly teleport to where the stylus is touching the screen, ignoring any obstacles in between his starting and ending points when teleporting, you've moved two inches forward due to the autoscroll, and you're ready to look and prepare the next teleport with zero threat. At this point, the only challenge to getting the Chaos Emeralds will be finding the spinners to get to the Special Stage, and as you've already seen in Leaf Storm, each level has multiples.

To be honest, this is the only half-pipe Special Stage that I ever completed "legit" other than abusing Team Rose's shorter levels in Sonic Heroes to be able to spam thousands of attempts on the Special Stage there. (the physics in the half-pipe screwed me over more times than I care to remember. I swear, I played Team Rose Mystic Mansion so many times, I could do it with my eyes closed entirely off memory if I wanted to at one point. Still hate the music in that level solely due to how many times I heard it.)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Don't be afraid of holding that boost button, and the R button is used to string tricks together to build up said boost meter. Since you saw that it takes a full layer of boost just to get into a special stage, it's important to keep it pretty high throughout levels. That said, they give you a few chances per stage to do that, so it's not that hard to get in them. Winning? Well, we'll see with your layout. It's actually not hard at all to see what you're doing on the special stages with the DS, all things considered. Guess it depends on how you hold the stylus.

Needless to say, I'm a little hyped for this one. It's my second favorite Dimps game behind Advance 1.
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Ah, it's finally time for the Rush trilogy! Granted, the "third" game was released a few years later, but still. I really love these games, and they have some of the best music in the series (I especially love Rush Adventure's OST)! The first game has some growing pains since it basically pioneered the boost formula and it's Dimps' first foray into gameplay like this (unless you count Advance 2). Despite that, it's still really fun!

Quick tips that the game doesn't really mention: after going through blue hoops or when grinding on rails, pressing the shoulder buttons repeatedly allows you to do tricks to fill up your boost gauge. Also, you don't have to mash the boost button; while that's useful in certain situations, the game largely expects you to hold the boost button down. It's good to use it wisely, though! Like you experienced, you can also do a singular trick after bouncing off a spring, ramp, etc. to gain height or a burst of speed left or right. As for how the emeralds work; it's how you guessed: you get one emerald per zone, with multiple special wheels in each act for multiple chances at the special stage.

Can't wait for Altitude Limit already lmao
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

Ive never in my life seen or even conceived of anyone tapping thr boost button instead of holding it in any sonic game. It was a surreal thing to see in motion, like something glitching.

Anyhow Sonic Rush is a game i really like and was the first Sonic game I ever owned, played it to death when i was little and would just replay stages over and over because watching your character zoom across the screens never got old.
Nast

Post by Nast »

Oh hey it's this game. Others have already explained the game's systems pretty well, but if I may correct what some have said - you tap the B button to do tricks in the air (after hitting a spring or ramp), not the shoulder buttons. After tapping B a bit you can press A before landing to "finish" your combo, earning you more boost gauge. You do use the shoulder buttons to perform tricks while grinding though (don't know why it's different there). There's a few more nuances to it but I'd leave that for raocow to find out.

Honestly the trick system is like the highlight of the game for me, I find it very fun to maximize my points anytime I have the opportunity while also trying to keep the pace going (not sticking around a single spring for too long), in what would otherwise be very dimps-y hold-forward-to-win levels. Not that there aren't interesting things going on in the levels, but having something more to do is appreciated, plus you directly benefit from it via the boost gauge.

Not to get ahead of myself too much but the bosses are probably the lamest part of the game. In this one at least you can already see you're mostly waiting around for the boss to make itself vulnerable, and you can get insta-killed forcing you to wait all over again. Here's a tip (spoilered in case raocow doesn't want it):

you can press R in the air to do an air dash, which comes in handy for quick dodging

I actually really like the special stages, though playing on an emulator doesn't really do them justice imo.

Blaze is good (fact)
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

This game oozes style, it's slicc as hecc
freshtalk wrote: 2 years ago Ive never in my life seen or even conceived of anyone tapping thr boost button instead of holding it in any sonic game. It was a surreal thing to see in motion, like something glitching.
Haha yeah this is honestly a little bizarre to behold

I think this is a fantastic evolution of Advance 2's "just go fast" style. It's definitely a trendsetter, for future DIMPS 2D games especially, but you can also immediately trace back Color's gameplay style to this. Boost is here to stay and it's great imo. Hold down that button and just BLAST through everything.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

and so begins tails' long, sad decline into being a walking punchline pure support character
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Feels kinda weird emulated but maybe the screen adjustment will mostly fix that. It's technically even farther away from the DS, but I wonder if using the mouse might be better than tablet just so you can see what you're doing.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Leet wrote: 2 years ago Feels kinda weird emulated but maybe the screen adjustment will mostly fix that. It's technically even farther away from the DS, but I wonder if using the mouse might be better than tablet just so you can see what you're doing.
I can confirm that it works like a charm with the mouse
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Huh. I was testing ds emulation myself last week and found using the mouse awkward.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

SAJewers wrote: 2 years ago Huh. I was testing ds emulation myself last week and found using the mouse awkward.
It's been a while for me, so I'd trust your word more; it might also be a question of emulator versions, what your alternative is, how your mouse sensitivity is set up etc.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Paragraph wrote: 2 years ago
SAJewers wrote: 2 years ago Huh. I was testing ds emulation myself last week and found using the mouse awkward.
It's been a while for me, so I'd trust your word more; it might also be a question of emulator versions, what your alternative is, how your mouse sensitivity is set up etc.
For me (latest melonds)

the Sonic Rush special stage felt a bit awkward to me. playable, but probably not as nice as a stylus on a touchscreen/tablet. Olympic Games on the other hand, felt unplayable in the few mins I tried playing curling

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

It might be awkward but surely it is better than being literally unable to see where the circles you have to click on are??
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

presumably yes because i kept having trouble moving sonic around where i wanted to with the mouse.

iirc there's is a way to mirror it to an ios or android device so you can control the bottom screen that way, and i would probably use that if i were going through the game in full

edit: looked back in the spotzone, and it seems a few of us discussed this last year, and seemed to think raocow should use some sort of stylus input over the mouse 🤷‍♀️
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

like I said, I do own a drawing tablet and it's plugged in so I'm at liberty of just using that
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

i've played something as technical as ouendan emulated with a mouse and i found it entirely fine for the purpose, with the added benefit of escaping the input latency of the tablet.

i was just kind of baffled by raocow commenting he didn't have the dexterity for the mechanic that, as far as i can tell, requires you to press four moderately-sized circles in sequence? don't sell yourself short, man, i know you can do it! because i just assumed, of course he'd be using the mouse, the mouse is such a no-brainer. i guess a tablet is more Authentic? but i would say it hardly matters how close you are getting to the Physical Interactions The Hardware Demands and just go for whatever seems the most natural, and personally, i find the mouse much more natural. but then, i am no spotzone resident.
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Nast

Post by Nast »

I don't remember 100% but I think you don't need to tap on each circle? I recall just dragging the stylus from one circle to the next, which may or may not be easier to pull off in the short time limit
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Nast wrote: 2 years ago I don't remember 100% but I think you don't need to tap on each circle? I recall just dragging the stylus from one circle to the next, which may or may not be easier to pull off in the short time limit
Just checked, that is the case
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Seemed to go well with the mouse :partygator:

Rush pretty much expects you to be boosting all the time. That's why enemies are so in your way - they're meant to refill your boost, not actually impede you. The idea is basically boost forward smashing through everything, then you reach a spring, trick from it for- or upwards, refilling your boost, and on you go. As usual, there's some level design issues with that, mainly moments where you can't just Boost Through It, and have to do awkward platforming.

You're right in that it often can be skipped, however - for example in this level, boosting makes you able to Jesus on the water. Also, it's key to stay on the upper path in general (that and the trick system), which ofc also prevents you from being lower and therefore closer towards death pits.

You start with one full meter of boost - most stages are perfectly fine with you blasting off immediately. Saves a platforming loop right at the start of this zone, for example, because you just stay on the water. Boost Boost Boost!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

yeah, aside from the bit at the end of act 2, you're having trouble meeting rush on its own terms atm
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
AweStriker

Post by AweStriker »

It is time for some amazing beats though.
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

I mean I love Rush but my, and I assume a lot of its fans' experience, is something like taking a playthrough or several to really 'get' the mechanicsand rhythm of the game. I am just now remembering that for the first few weeks that i owned the game back in 2007ish, i never got past the first stage. Only after coming back to it a little after that was I like 'oh now im playing the game like a game!!!'.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

i gotta say, as much as the visual design of this game kicks, the air control looks awful. like, you have that huge time it takes to get up to any speed at the start, but then you stop instantly it feels like?
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

chock of chock of wheat wheat smack on my face UH
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage