(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Crow »

if you need assistance, there are like 11 different puzzle areas, and you only have to clear 7 to beat the game - one area is comprised of remixes of other puzzle types and thus doesn't teach you anything but the other 10 are relatively self-contained and basically just an escalation of one or two ideas, so you should be able to keep digging into one area until it's done
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I'm not saying I want specifics, but there's a couple puzzles that I'm just stuck on and I'm just gonna list them here and maybe I'll go back to it?

-I have a couple tetris block puzzles. I get what to do with these when they're at the sides but I can't figure out how to get anything in the middle to line up. From what I understand

if they're on the sides you can just draw it so you make the pattern and the sides close it off. I don't get how you "close them" in the middle and I know this is a me problem in that I'm missing something. I even did the short tutorial one that's just a single square and a it's a single square puzzle but I don't get it

-There's a town with a couple puzzles that have things I've seen before but they don't match up - I guess this is the remix area. One has star symbols on it and

I know from previous puzzles you gotta pair up 2 of a color, but this one has 3 of each color and I haven't experimented with it

and also there's some other puzzle there that I forget what it does and another that I don't think does anything but give you an opening with a secret but it also has tetris blocks on it

-There's a blue puzzle on a gate door near a boathouse. It's got some hexagons on it but I haven't found these hexagons anywhere else so I don't know what to do with them

-There's another blue puzzle somewhere. it's got the double lines or whatever but otherwise no distinguishing marks on it anywhere. Not sure what I'm missing

Actually there's several puzzles I've found that just don't seem to have anything on them? One's in some sand, one's in an orange area that looks like it's supposed to be a tutorial but I don't get it. There's a ting that plays when I look at one and I've heard that some puzzles use audio cues but if that's this one I don't know what a single ting is supposed to indicate. Oh and there's another diamond shaped puzzle near some gate that I was brute forcing. I solved like half of it but even knowing the solution I didn't get it

E: And looking at what I had available I did find some area where you're supposed to do something with colors and I am pretty sure I know what I need to block off with this one but I can't figure it out so it doesn't count. Even that's frustrating so I still say this game isn't for me
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Ugh fuck.

I beat Bahamut Lagoon and. What can I say, it's. Very disappointing.

The writing is basically
KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago The characters are all one-note jokes, a lot of the times i can barely destinguish one from the other. Don Juan is the worst video game character I have ever seen his entire existence is sexism. That's my biggest issue with the game. I could excuse the simplicity if the writing was charming, but even with Near's translation patch, it's just, Working Designs trying to write a JRPG. The jokes all feel like they come from a place of contempt and spite, even Sendak, the resident gay character who I like a lot, is mostly written as a joke. Don Juan, as I said, is just a pick up artist, an unlikable Johnny Bravo. The only scenes I could feel any sort of emotion from was the scenes with Celine and Taicho and the flash back with Hornet and

Sauthar

To put it simply. Earthbound's jokes feel like classic The Simpsons, there's heart and a bit of honesty. Bahamut Lagoon's feels like post-cancellation Family Guy or the entirety of South Park, nothing but spite and contempt.

There's a literal censored sex scene after breaking up a harem, with the harem members, where the characters "become men" as a joke. Like. That is just vile. Every character bounces off of each other in a basis of spite and disrespect. I don't want to sound like Mr. Enter here, just. It feels like it follows Doug Walker's bullshit rule of "comedy can only come from misery". I actively dislike playing this game, not in a way where it felt bad to play like Hydlide, but in a way where it psychologically hurt to play, it's like something written by a right wing RPG Maker author. I've only seen writing this cruel in like. The English language Lunar: The Silver Star, with its ableist jokes, people constantly shit talking each other (i hate english!nall), Kyle being fucking disgusting and sexist as a joke, the moment of a textbox in the thief town being of a thief selling Mia and Jessica's underwear and sheets or whatever?????????
The gameplay is either sic dragons on the enemy to whittle down their forces, then zerg rush them. Or near the end, Bahamut the main targets then zerg rush the boss. It's really sad because it has a lot of heart and passion in it but it just feels so under utilized. I feel that if you could more accurately strategize with the dragons, and they were made less easy to make OP, as well as the battles feeling more well thought out than a series of enemies spread about to hinder the player, would elevate this game to greatness. But one thing I'd really ask for an improved Bahamut Lagoon is just. Better humor.

I cannot in my right mind enjoy this game when it has scenes like the harem scene, making the idea of "getting friendzoned" a constant joke in the game, the way Don Juan is written (just look at Johnny Bravo for this type of character done right), and so on. I refuse.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Argumentable wrote: 3 years agostuff
If you've found a puzzle that threw in a new icon you've never seen before, it probably means you just need to keep exploring. I believe every puzzle type has an area where the puzzle is introduced in its most basic form that should teach you what the different icons mean.

To point you in the right direction with the tetris puzzles,

the area containing the pieces just need to be able to fit the tetris pieces within them. It's kinda hard to explain through text, but the square with the block in it doesn't necessarily need to have that tetris piece in particular encapsulating it; if the area contains 2 tetris pieces, you can fit the pieces together in whatever way works to have both pieces in the contained area, and in a way that would fit both shapes together, but nothing more and nothing less.

Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Ashan wrote: 3 years ago
Argumentable wrote: 3 years agostuff
If you've found a puzzle that threw in a new icon you've never seen before, it probably means you just need to keep exploring. I believe every puzzle type has an area where the puzzle is introduced in its most basic form that should teach you what the different icons mean.

To point you in the right direction with the tetris puzzles,

the area containing the pieces just need to be able to fit the tetris pieces within them. It's kinda hard to explain through text, but the square with the block in it doesn't necessarily need to have that tetris piece in particular encapsulating it; if the area contains 2 tetris pieces, you can fit the pieces together in whatever way works to have both pieces in the contained area, and in a way that would fit both shapes together, but nothing more and nothing less.

Yeah, but I got no sense of direction in this game and just end up wandering into the same areas. I could probably find these things eventually. Also, I feel like I've tried what you're describing and several variations but it just ain't working out. Maybe I'll throw a screenshot on twitter or just look up a solution for one of the ones I'm looking at
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Nast

Post by Nast »

Just finished Tadpole Tales, a free, about 10 minutes long shmup on Steam. It's adorable, gorgeously crafted and pretty fun, if a bit slow.
Crow

Post by Crow »

my switch is seeing a lot of love atm

been playing thru digimon cybersleuth hacker's memory which is just the b-side plot to the first game's a-side plot and it's
well it's still enjoyable but boy howdy does it feel like a b-side, not even a lot of unique maps to this one & i'm not sure i'm a huge fan of the new mechanics or battle types but i guess the story's pretty solid so far regardless. i feel like i'm gonna blow through this one a lot faster though since i don't really have the patience for all the side-stuff

also started crash 4, the switch port seems pretty solid! the game is hard. the levels are long. platinum relics are apparently required for 106% completion so i'm not doing that but i do want to get at least one relic per level. anyways it's more crash bandicoot and it's fun
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

I clicked through 20 seconds or so of a tips video now I've doubled my puzzles solved in the witness and completed 2 areas. I also spent 30 minutes in a basement raising and lowering water trying to figure out where the hell I'm supposed to stand and gave up. I completed "The Keep" according to my achievements but I really wanna know how you're supposed to finish this one tetris block puzzle in it. I know how to do tetris blocks now, though. I managed to find my way into the actual tutorial for the place and not some random back door - working on the area now. The other place was the orangey forest area and I swear something just wasn't loaded right the first time I was there because what you're supposed to do is so obvious and I blew through it in a couple minutes.

-I gave up on the dig site because of what I said above
-I gave up on the greenhouse because I don't think I really understand it still but I made it to the elevator
-No idea what I'm supposed to be doing in the asian building looking area with the tree
-Still can't open the door with the hexagons and the blue puzzle (I really have a feeling I'm supposed to know what this is)
-I made it to the ship once and left but I have no idea how I got there in the first place or how to get back
-I hate the town in the center it makes no sense to me and I keep ending up back there.

I might actually make it through and beat it, though. I just really would like there to be a teleport feature or for rotating platforms to be like 500% faster just let me get to the puzzles now
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I've been playing Super Robot Wars V on my PS Vita - I've gotten a lot of amusement from replacing the songs with my own music/superior versions of in game music, like I have the SRW D version of HEATS set instead of the instrumental version of the actual OP. This is the reason to play the PS4/Vita versions over the Switch and especially Steam versions lolol. Ok, for the game itself, it's been pretty fun but it is a lot easier than older entries. I don't think that's inherently bad, as there's some nice features to make things a little smoother. Also unsurprisingly got introduced (and spoiled, but that's really unavoidable unless I wanted to actually not play the game) to some mecha animes that I want to watch at some point and are thankfully not Mazinger Z length so that's cooool. The design of the female main character is a little annoying, basically just "Look! Big Boobies!" but that's unfortunately pretty standard for SRW.

Also tried out Atelier Sophie. Never played any of these games before so it was a new experience. I'm interested, but it seems like it'll get really complicated...

EDIT: Managed to totally forget I also am at the end of Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia. I am very ready to be done with this game. The difficulty feels very cheap with enemies and especially bosses taking out huge chunks of your health while you do very little damage. I managed to inch my way through over a course of a few years because my motivation to play has been very sporadic. I wanted to finish both the Training Hall and Large Cavern before tring to fight Dracula, I did the training hall a few times, but I've gotten pretty close to finishing the Large Cavern bfire I get destroyed because two hits from some of the enemies there do over 300 damage each. The music is really good at least.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Argumentable wrote: 3 years ago I might actually make it through and beat it, though. I just really would like there to be a teleport feature or for rotating platforms to be like 500% faster just let me get to the puzzles now
on one hand there is A Reason they aren't but also yeah they can get kinda tedious
Nast

Post by Nast »

About 7 hours into Shantae: Risky's Revenge. I'm not sure how much there is left but judging by the size of the world and how much of it I've been to, I'm probably gonna be done pretty soon. I wish I could say I'm having a great time but, man, something about the experience really irritates me. I think it's the abundance of mandatory backtracking compounded by the lack of quick movement or fast travel options, that makes going through the world feel like such a slog sometimes. There are fast travel options btw, like these warp statues, but all of them warp you just a bit farther than you'd like from where you'd want to go, so some backtracking is always required. And then there's mandatory fetch quests too, which is just ughh. A whole lot of wasting the player's time. It's too bad because otherwise, I mean, it's not super remarkable but it's still pretty alright.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

HatKid wrote: 3 years agoEDIT: Managed to totally forget I also am at the end of Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia. I am very ready to be done with this game. The difficulty feels very cheap with enemies and especially bosses taking out huge chunks of your health while you do very little damage. I managed to inch my way through over a course of a few years because my motivation to play has been very sporadic. I wanted to finish both the Training Hall and Large Cavern before tring to fight Dracula, I did the training hall a few times, but I've gotten pretty close to finishing the Large Cavern bfire I get destroyed because two hits from some of the enemies there do over 300 damage each. The music is really good at least.
I highly recommend beating it on level 1 hard mode to unlock level 255 hard mode.

Not really though. It was freaking hell to complete, even if I did eventually succeed. And level 255 hard mode isn't really worth it because even reaching the normal cap is rather unrealistic, let alone 255.

Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Cyril wrote: 3 years ago
Argumentable wrote: 3 years ago I might actually make it through and beat it, though. I just really would like there to be a teleport feature or for rotating platforms to be like 500% faster just let me get to the puzzles now
on one hand there is A Reason they aren't but also yeah they can get kinda tedious
I mean sure I know the secrets as to why some things are, but if you can give me a good reason why these things in the tetris area rotate in place at an agonizing pace each time then I'm all ears

E: 6 areas down. I think House is the only thing I can do without going insane. I figured out what I was missing on it but we'll see
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

about to abdicate my rights as a human being by becoming a cute gay roegadyn online again
when i finish the trial and buy the game im def rolling with lalafell and hrothgar side hustles
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Playing a bit more of A Tear of Vermilion and I'm really feeling the difference from White Witch with how I'm unironically grinding for Pisca (pronounced Piss-kuh) to convert to Rose (pronounced Rosé) to get better equipment. Not sure if Phildin is meant to be a hub area for the first chapter but just in case!

Bought a Bastard Sword (620 Rose), Chakram (540) and a Light Shield (300, thought Avin could use one but the Bastard Sword is two-handed) and one Bezant Armor (480), now aiming for another Bezant Armor. Might get a Rupture Rod (620) in case I get a whip user.
Image Image
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Alice wrote: 3 years ago I highly recommend beating it on level 1 hard mode to unlock level 255 hard mode.

Not really though. It was freaking hell to complete, even if I did eventually succeed. And level 255 hard mode isn't really worth it because even reaching the normal cap is rather unrealistic, let alone 255.

Haha, even if I wanted to try, with how long the game has taken me already it'd probably over a decade before I finished something like that
-----
(just going to post this here because I don't want to derail your FF4 thread)
KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago thank. also god you're playing psp gagharv???? i hope you can enjoy the more down to earth stories despite the low budget gameplay and presentation, i heard from falcom discord people that song of the ocean goes to hell once the trails in the sky writer and current president of falcom takes over for the main gagharv writer who left halfway through or whatever. i'm personally looking forward to playing the pc version either way and the trails in the sky trilogy is a definite must for me.
Yep, just got Song of the Ocean left. I finally finished Moonlight Witch the other day after playing it on and ff for a few years. so I went and started the last of the Gagharv trilogy. The terrible translations and botched gameplay reallly make them hard for me to enjoy... LoH5's translation actually seems competent so far but I'll see if that remains true. Between 3 and 4, I like 4 more, but that's more because I notice stories about loss really resonate with me (one reason why I love Persona 3's story) even if

in the end Avin reunites with his sister and Mile is resurrected

. I like the 3rd the most by far of the Sky trilogy (and SC the least, mostly because the game itself is a huuuuge slog. The story is great tho) making my opinions about it a true outlier. Any plans to play any of the Trails games after Sky?
Also I started the FF14 free trial a few weeks ago with my brother, really annoyed how much it limits you. Like c'mon not even EA takes away grouping up or friend requests from free to play players.
-----

Been playing more Super Robot Wars V. So far managed to get every SR Point but we'll see if I can keep it up. They haven't been too bad so far.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

HatKid wrote: 2 years ago

in the end Avin reunites with his sister and Mile is resurrected

Look, I'm like, still in Phildin and

I'd honestly expect both to happen, especially if Mile died so I really don't mind accidentally revealing that spoiler

haha!!! Have fun!!

I do intend on playing Azure, Zero and Cold Steel 1-4 as well
I want to play as much of Falcom's work as I can.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

my lunar eternal blue experience:
Leo: "Hiro, I know a good man when I see one."
Ruby: "Yeah, I bet you do."
Leo: "I wasn't talking to you"

Working Designs Quality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also the first npc i talked to had themselves cutting short a mention of althena's boobs

Image Image
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Started Pokemon Crystal last night to celebrate finishing Pokemon Yellow.
Final Team for Yellow:
Fearow Brantalis
Slowbro Salyavin
Pikachu Mikoto
Clefable Armstrong
Parasect Marisa
Rhydon Grace
and I'm keeping this save file for the future so that I have a full-ish dex to work from (I did the same with Blue but I want to convert my VC Blue to a rando which means I can't keep the save file there)
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Advanced a bit in A Tear of Vermillion (Windows), joined the Adventurer's Guild in Phildin to gain access to Tibri Highway, but for the initiation trials, we went around asking for alms for the Church of Bardus (i did not read any text on that fuck that), helped Früle get her stuffed bear Banban (deliberate reference to White Witch/Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch) back from the waterway after it got washed away under the bridge.

Also met Muse, stopped a lover's quarrel between two citizens of Phildin (Marty had trouble stopping them, so Mile just got flowers from the shopkeep's daughter? (it's not specified) who had a crush on him and acted like it was a gift from the husband to the wife), Marty joined the party, and now we're off to help the jewel miners with some monsters in the mine.

Stopped the Shamseal Gang's bandits and apparently you have to beat them first before fighting the Hamacágues and Liquecágues to erase them from being and stop them from messing up the mine??? I did it backwards. Either way I got Muse and now I guess I have to refight the enemies.

I'm using textractor btw.
LoH3's text storage method makes it not work properly with textractor i think (i've seen the proper script for that location loaded into ram whenever you enter a location though, using cheat engine), so you kind of have to use visual novel ocr, as jank as jparser is.
Image Image
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

I'm downloading Shadowverse cause I need a TCG fix and there's no way I'm going back to Hearthstone and MTG Arena runs like ass on my computer

I gave up on the Witness again after getting to Accessibility Nightmare room and being unable to figure out how to leave
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

witnesses: users YelseyKing, FourteenthOrder, Dragon Fogel, tangy
victim: part-time gay lion KobaBeach

The victim entered a casual discussion with subjects A, "YelseyKing", B, "Dragon Fogel" and C, "FourteenthOrder" - aka "Zeal" - about translations, namely of Wild ARMs 1. It evolved into remarks from subjects A and B on Wild ARMs: Alter Code F and then remarks from the victim on whether or not they would enjoy Wild ARMs 3 as subject A had found it supremely boring. The victim later brought up the game Silva Saga 2, a game which subject A was extremely disappointed by. The victim responded to subject A's explanation of the game's systems with laughter and mockery as it seemed completely absurd, and went to check the length of the game. The victim then proceeded to make a fatal mistake: Starting the Famicom game "Minelvaton Saga".

The victim is currently in a state of confusion as to how you could take the foundation of Xanadu (its Ys/Hydlide battle screens) and Dragon Quest (its overworld maps and dungeons) and make a game that fails to take any of their carefully crafted gamefeel into account. The experience level system is superfluous, the victim feels no difference, a level up is not even treated as an event in of itself, feeling like an afterthought. The victim is currently at level 31 and they didn't even realize it. According to them, armor is the only way to feel stronger against enemies. The victim only chooses to trudge onward thanks to Eurobeat serving as a sort of painkiller for them, and the fact that it's not as painful as Japanese computer game "Hydlide II: Shine of Darkness", more of - in their words - a "halfbaked mess", than anything.

This is truly a game made by madmen.

Victim sanity status: INCONCLUSIVE

EDIT:

i can't i can't i can't i can't i can't i can't
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i think it's really funny that legend of heroes 1 (the dragon slayer one not a tear of vermillion) is basically a mostly traditional fantasy rpg, then legend of heroes 2 opens with the equivalent of bart and friends' road trip

atlas is absolutely milhouse, lando is bart

everything is just like yeah we're cool we're the old characters from the previous game meanwhile atlas is just a complete weenie i love it. apparently the underground maze sections are shit though so

they try to pawn off the cherished holy series of armor for cruise ticket money after atlas got mugged, expecting they'd get like millions of gold. they end up getting 150, just enough for a ticket and change. this has violent malcolm in the middle energy

the slow start is really bad it's basically you revisiting most of the old locations for plot progression and "where are they now" type anecdotes
i'm also playing silva saga 2 because i love hurting yelseyking with my bad taste in video games. it's. okay. pretty dressing if anything. i'm at toran
Image Image
Crow

Post by Crow »

crash 4 is fun and simulatenously exhausting to play because every level is like an hour-long time investment meaning that i can never play more than one at a time

and now the game has revealed to me that i need to replay every level an additional time (or more) for the

n-verted level gems

and i'm just

i'm just

:monstrosity:

imagine trying to cram 3 games' worth of content into a single game and that's crash 4 in a nutshell
Nast

Post by Nast »

Super Mario RPG is finally over. Not going to challenge the superboss or look for other secrets I've missed cause after a couple months of slowly chipping away at it I think I've had my fill. Ultimately it's a pretty good game, but not great imo. I just didn't find the combat or exploration all that engaging on their own, though I appreciate the precedent it set for future games (namely Paper Mario and the Mario & Luigi series). The characters and sense of humor are what really elevate the experience for me, and made it all worthwhile.

Hey Koba if you're reading this, what do you figure would be a good rpg/other game to practice beginner level japanese? SMRPG may have been too "well-written" for my current level, if that makes sense lol

Also finished Shantae: Risky's Revenge and then went ahead and cleared magic mode (basically hard mode) over the course of two days. I may have complained a lot about backtracking earlier and I stick by that, but playing a second time and having a general idea of where to go does wonders for the pacing (I also took more notes the second go around which certainly helped), and what's left is a pretty breezy experience. It's such a basic game that it feels straight out of the game boy / game boy advance days, which in a weird way feels refreshing to me. I'm pretty curious to give the rest of the series a shot at some point, namely Pirate's Curse which I've heard a lot of good things about.

e: also tried out Rhythm Doctor (it's in early access right now), and man this game is fucking cool. Lots of accessibility options and very thorough calibration process, which I very much appreciate.