(shouting)

MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by Emral »

That's right. It's finally here. The contest that has taken over a third of SMBX's life cycle to come together. The contest that drank up the entire barrel of lunalua scopecreep. The contest that defies the prophecy foretold in last year's mosts, claiming that all talkhaus-related productions will finish simultaneously... It's finally here.

RELEASE PREFACE
The version released today is version 0.9. Everything is here, aside from one level in the bonus content section that won't come up in the LP for a long while. Expect a patch addressing that and any other weirdnesses we may encounter or be told about.
Furthermore, you might be noticing THE LP HASN'T STARTED YET, YET I CAN SEE THE RESULTS???
Yes. Things are a little different this time, with the game releasing... basically just before the start of the LP. While we don't hold any secrets, please respect the following or be smitten by the gods:
THE PUBLIC REVEAL OF PLACEMENTS HAPPENS THROUGH THE LET'S PLAY. Feel free to gossip among friends and play the game alongside the LP, but don't be a spoilery can of bread, be it in a public text channel, this thread, the youtube comments, or unsolicited PMs and DMs. It's not only raocow who is experiencing the results through the LP but plenty of others as well. Please keep comments about your own placement to a minimum before the reveal as well. Thank you.

DOWNLOAD
Click HERE to download the game.

YOU WILL NEED SMBX BETA 4 PATCH 4.1 TO PLAY THIS EPISODE. HERE IS A LINK.

If you're not on the current version (0.9.6), download this patch: It is included in the main download, too, but in case you downloaded that earlier...
DOWNLOAD THE PATCH

:catplanet2: :catplanet2: :catplanet2: :catplanet2: :catplanet2: :catplanet2: :catplanet2: :catplanet2:

Screenshots to tickle your fancy:
ImageImage
ImageImage
If you encounter any bugs please post them here in a spoiler tag. We will address them. This is a threat.

Thanks for waiting and have fun! from...
Sturg | Zatsupachi | Rameau's Nephew | WhimWidget | snoruntpyro | Enjl | Hoeloe | Waddle | Rednaxela | The 0x539
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Kapus
Master of Hiccup
First name: boogity boo
Pronouns: Vegetable

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by Kapus »

I am literally bouncing off of all the walls in excitement
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Zatsupachi
Queen of Flaming Mechanical Bees

Post by Zatsupachi »

At last. The time of reckoning is at hand.
The [Death] of Jokes.
Youtube: dracmeister
Moddb: precision_bomber

SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

Huzzah! Cheers to the devs and judges, this has been a long wait but I'm really looking forward to seeing all the rankings, and the LP of course.

Here's to seeing raocow play the 1st place winner in about a year. XD
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

This ain't X2, far far fewer entries this time. X2 including bonus content is like almost twice the size of X3.
fart.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Duker wrote: 3 years ago
This ain't X2, far far fewer entries this time. X2 including bonus content is like almost twice the size of X3.
For reference, MaGLX2 had 272 levels and 31 bosses. MAGLX3 had has 152 levels and 24 bosses.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

Wow, I was sure MaGLX3 had MORE entries than X2. I must have gotten it mixed up with MaGMML3.

Six months then. :D
LunarNeedle
The Golden Spork
First name: Matthew

Post by LunarNeedle »

I know literally no one wants to go into making a level for a theoretical MAGLX4 - but is there enough energy from the coming LP to kick off a fourquel?
"All these flavors and you choose to be salty"
- Grandma
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

LunarNeedle wrote: 3 years ago I know literally no one wants to go into making a level for a theoretical MAGLX4 - but is there enough energy from the coming LP to kick off a fourquel?
This is probably a question best revisited near the end or after all is said and done, imo.

Given that I sampled maybe about 10-15 levels I almost want to say from this sample that while there are less levels, the general quality and eye candy level has gone up significantly from X2 due to the limitations being mostly removed from the previous contests, as well as the capabilities of the new engine. I feel like there would be room for many more, but let's see how things turned out first.
WhimWidget
WhimWhimWhimWhimWhim
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by WhimWidget »

As of this post, I quickly uploaded a fix on a few last second changes. :ehh:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

LunarNeedle wrote: 3 years ago I know literally no one wants to go into making a level for a theoretical MAGLX4 - but is there enough energy from the coming LP to kick off a fourquel?
I believe a MAGL4 would have to happen first?
Chirei wrote: 3 years ago
This is probably a question best revisited near the end or after all is said and done, imo.

Given that I sampled maybe about 10-15 levels I almost want to say from this sample that while there are less levels, the general quality and eye candy level has gone up significantly from X2 due to the limitations being mostly removed from the previous contests, as well as the capabilities of the new engine. I feel like there would be room for many more, but let's see how things turned out first.
I think some of that as well is also due to the fact there are less levels, since with MAGLX2 there was a large push for people to enter and submit anything, even half-baked and unfinished levels. MAGLX3 didn't have that push to get as many people as humanly possible to enter.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
KayhemMaus
I keep breaking my face on SMBX
First name: KM
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by KayhemMaus »

So I clearly had a misunderstanding with Sturg about my MAFAB level, if you need a quick shorter description to throw on my thing I can do it but I *did* message sturg and he never hit me with a plank to correct me.

nyoro~n n~yoron

I love it
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

KayhemMaus wrote: 3 years ago

So I clearly had a misunderstanding with Sturg about my MAFAB level, if you need a quick shorter description to throw on my thing I can do it but I *did* message sturg and he never hit me with a plank to correct me.

PM'd ya
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

1) Holy crap then tech on this thing is beautiful and I love you people
2) Apparently sometime between the SMBX2 version used to create the levels and the one for the launch, there was a serious change to a certain NPCs speed, because my level is nearly unplayable now. Whoops.
WhimWidget
WhimWhimWhimWhimWhim

Post by WhimWidget »

WestonSmith wrote: 3 years ago 1) Holy crap then tech on this thing is beautiful and I love you people
2) Apparently sometime between the SMBX2 version used to create the levels and the one for the launch, there was a serious change to a certain NPCs speed, because my level is nearly unplayable now. Whoops.
Oh no!
Which NPC?
(If you could mention it in this thread)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

A thought:

If we want to skip to our own level and use cheats to do so, are the cheats same as in vanilla 1.3?
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

ano0maly wrote: 3 years agoIf we want to skip to our own level and use cheats to do so, are the cheats same as in vanilla 1.3?
Pretty sure the vanilla 1.3 cheats should work the same as normal yes.

Also, in the MAGLX3 pause menu, under "options" there's are "fun bonus" and "assist mode" sections which among other things has a "total invincibility" checkbox. The "coyote time" option may also be helpful.
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

The First Seal is broken.

raocow wrote: 3 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
Darkonius64
Dreams of a forgotten reality

Post by Darkonius64 »

it's time...
:bi_pride:
My latest SMBX episode
https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.p ... 70#p473070

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://dormivegliagame.com/
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Found a bug in one entry:

there's an issue with this part where the disco shell doesn't go through the 1-tile high enemy only block, which is needed to kill the tall pokey afterward. I think disco shells have trouble going past 1-tile gaps over gliding blocks which I've ran into before in one of the later patches.

Edit: Looking at the judge comments has me worried; Sturg specifically mentioned this issue as a level-specific bug, but I'm certain this issue only appeared in later patches and did not appear the initial MaGLX3 submission period. This would mean the judging would have been adversely affected by a bug no entrant had control over and was introduced later.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
NeutronCat

Post by NeutronCat »

Can not open the game, missing 'visualFidelity' module:
Looks like missing 'visualFidelity.lua' module. I can't find the corresponding file, otherwise I can fix it manually.
I have already installed the newest 2.0.0.b4.4 (Full install, the 222MB one)
Thanks in advance!
WhimWidget
WhimWhimWhimWhimWhim

Post by WhimWidget »

NeutronCat wrote: 3 years ago Can not open the game, missing 'visualFidelity' module:
Looks like missing 'visualFidelity.lua' module. I can't find the corresponding file, otherwise I can fix it manually.
I have already installed the newest 2.0.0.b4.4 (Full install, the 222MB one)
Thanks in advance!
That's really weird. It's a MAGLX3 file. The file should be in your installation of MAGLX3. (Your computer didn't remove it did it)?
If you can, extract just that file again from your 7z. It's in the main folder.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

It’s been so long I barely even remember my level anymore, so that’ll be fun. :partygator:
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

I have a bug report to make-
For some reason, the end boss of The Greatest Hits, my MAFAB entry, is broken- it dies in one hit where it didn't before and its death graphic is cut off at the bottom, implying to me that the NPC files may have bugged out since my original sending, or that one of the updates to the engine broke the way I was handling the boss. I can assure you this effect didn't happen when I originally sent it... Also, the music for one of the bosses was too quiet since I used a .spc for it- during bugchecking, I had noticed this and sent in a fixed music file with better volume, but apparently it got missed. I sent the file to Whim on discord just now, though!
EDIT:
I know why my boss is instantly dying- It's not that the boss is broken, it's that the Walking Rinka Block is now doing Instakill damage, instead of the "one per hit" it was back in the creation phase. This affects both the Block as a held/thrown item, and the Player Rinka it fires. This has completely broken my boss and is not at all how I designed it... As for the graphic cutting off, I suppose maybe I placed the graphics incorrectly?