(shouting)

ASMT 11th Anniversary LP - Hey There Guy

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
J. J. W. Mezun

Re: ASMT 11th Anniversary LP - Hey There Guy

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

ano0maly wrote: 3 years ago Nintendo platformers sure had issues with the mindset that a level midpoint is singular, and basically it wasn't until the "sequel" to SMW, Yoshi's Island, that they rectified that with multiple checkpoint rings.

Why don't we hack that instead of SMW :sheath:
’Cause then you end up with this:

Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Skye
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

Skye

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 3 years ago
ano0maly wrote: 3 years ago Nintendo platformers sure had issues with the mindset that a level midpoint is singular, and basically it wasn't until the "sequel" to SMW, Yoshi's Island, that they rectified that with multiple checkpoint rings.

this was like, the angriest raocow video until yump 38, god
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

AUS wrote: 3 years ago has there never been a talkhaus podcast?
I would gladly be party to such a thing
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 3 years ago

a lot of people make comments abt YUMP 38 but i feel like NSMW2 2E is easily "worse" since like, at least YUMP 38 for all its problems, it has caused a net-positive for the talkhaus and bigger raocow community, and raocow even states he finds the experience, while incredibly frustrating then, to be fascinating to look back on and actually enjoyable on a meta level. NSMW2 2E is just kinda bleak and depressing in the long run, and it kinda encapsulates the whole issues with NSMW2 as a whole and how, for what was meant to be the first big yoshi's island hack... man did it just... fall short on that front in the grand scheme of things. but this is an asmt thread and not a "yoshi's island hacking history" thread so fdghsjkdgl i'll shut up now
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Skye

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

making a level genuinely bad on purpose is also a mistake, just a different kind
Skye

Post by Skye »

watho
:0

Post by watho »

the philosophical debate on wether it’s worse to try to make something good and failing miserably or trying to make something horrible and succeeding
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

I'm kind of amazed this conversation is even happening.

Also man... Yoshitown and the Yoshi City was by far the most offensive part of ASMT without debate and it still looks like garbage now `~` It's just perceivably block-sized jumps and yet it doesn't operate like that at all. I have never liked it and it also feels weirdly out of place just like, aesthetically and visually. Like someone dropped the wrong project into ASMT by accident.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

watho wrote: 3 years ago the philosophical debate on wether it’s worse to try to make something good and failing miserably or trying to make something horrible and succeeding
both are fine, art is a process.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

imo it's better to try and make good things regardless of outcome than be irony poisoned and make a level like GAY SHT

it'll never be as funny as something that's accidentally bad anyways. like how when people try to make bad b-movies on purpose the vibe is never right
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

You haven't seen the old MATH contests then.
no shame
no regrets
no remorse

Speaking of which, the platformer-based bullet pattern dodging felt like a prototype for what you do in that game.
Last edited by ano0maly 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Shard1697 wrote: 3 years ago like how when people try to make bad b-movies on purpose the vibe is never right
Excuse you, Mutant Girls Squad and Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl are absolute trips
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Skye

Post by Skye »

PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

I feel like removing the randomized controls from the Yoshizilla room alters the original intent too much and completely changes the experience. Back then you had invincibility throughout the level, except to the Hammer Bros. But this time around, it seems like you're still invincible outside of the "chaos gates" (for example, raocow gets hit by a Homing Bill at around [14:40] but keeps his cape). It's too bad that the general public never got to experience the original version.

Here were some of the chaos effects back then, based on pastcow's commentary:
  • constantly jumping
  • reversed controls
  • can't move at all
  • high gravity
  • auto-pausing
Also, raocow died at the very end in the old LP. It was the only time I remember him getting so angry at the game back then.
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

Kilgamayan wrote: 3 years ago Excuse you, Mutant Girls Squad and Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl are absolute trips
mutant girls squad is not bad, on purpose or otherwise
Skye wrote: 3 years ago It's satire, Shard.
yeah, I know. it's still bad
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

definitely feel like we lucked out that yoshizilla wasn't the first teleporter gone into today or else this'd handily be a 1-teleporter video i feel
watho wrote: 3 years ago the philosophical debate on wether it’s worse to try to make something good and failing miserably or trying to make something horrible and succeeding
"Is YUMP 38 worse than NSMW2 2E" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
watho
:0

Post by watho »

camwoodstock wrote: 3 years ago "Is YUMP 38 worse than NSMW2 2E" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,
lol
Nesera

Post by Nesera »

Is it weird that I don't like the end/postgame of ASMT nearly as much as the rest? Maybe it's due to the difficulty increasing rather than the design getting worse, but the design flaws in worlds 8/9 are a lot more blatant and frustrating than the prior worlds.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Cyril wrote: 3 years ago also 12-year old chdata really is the true villain of asmt huh
i stand firm by this, and there's one more chdata room to go it looks like lol
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

AUS wrote: 3 years ago
Argumentable wrote: 3 years ago Re: Stunquakes

Taking control away from the player is generally a bad thing, even if it's only for a second. It's why lag in online games is frustrating (probably.) Generally speaking you should probably limit doing stuff like that.

Of course I'm not talking about stuff like Resident Evil for example where your options start out limited. If you have few options but they're always there that's (generally) fine IMO. I could do some game theory talk let's start a podcast.
has there never been a talkhaus podcast?

i bet if this forum had started a few years ago rather than a decade ago there might've been, but i cant place my finger on why i think this
If there is put me on it I'll record on my phone and will have terrible audio quality
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Shard1697 wrote: 3 years ago
Kilgamayan wrote: 3 years ago Excuse you, Mutant Girls Squad and Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl are absolute trips
mutant girls squad is not bad, on purpose or otherwise
Skye wrote: 3 years ago It's satire, Shard.
yeah, I know. it's still bad
ano0maly wrote: 3 years ago You haven't seen the old MATH contests then.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

This room with the giant fish chasing you felt kind of awkward to play. You want to be as far forward as possible so that when you need to slow down you have room to do so, but you can't go too far forward or you won't have time to react to what's coming up. I just ended up swimming as low as possible and memorizing the parts where I needed to deviate from that strategy, because trying to play this normally and dodge everything on reaction just didn't seem like a good idea.

This Touhou room was pretty fun. So far the order that raocow's been playing the rooms is the same order that I played them (although I did go around and attempt all of them once before actually setting out to complete all of them), and after the first two rooms being not exactly great experiences this was appreciated. The last wave of bullets is rather precise to get through, but fortunately that is the last wave, so you only have to dodge it once. I do kind of wish there was more of this, albeit as a separate thing, because I imagine this would get not fun fairly quickly if you had to dodge too many waves in a row.

And now for the Yoshizilla section. I don't blame raocow for mercilessly save scumming his way through, because I did too. At first I was merely considering it, but as soon as I managed to get through that one narrow vertical climb and grab my reserve cape I put a save state there as to not waste the opportunity. Then I saw the part right after where you have to spin jump on spikes and went "yeah, I'm not doing that more than once", and then I proceeded to put down a few more save states after that. I ended up loading save states 35 times... give or take a few, because at one point I was loading them so often I ended up forgetting to count some at some point, and when I realized I figured it hadn't been going on for too long, so I guessed that I just missed 2 and carried on from there.

I actually spent some time looking for a hidden block with a star in it as if this were a Mario Maker level, because I did not believe that someone got through some of the things here without taking hits. Now that I've heard that originally you were invincible the entire time I think I understand why it's like this. It would seem that it was never expected for you to play this without taking hits, and so taking this and expecting the player to survive this onslaught with a finite amount of hits just makes it super unreasonable. I wish I could have played the original version, because although the random effects described by PSI Ninja sound frustrating, I feel like that would be way better than what this is now. Worst case scenario it would be just as bad and I'd just save scum through it anyway.