(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Alice »

Picked up Stellaris in a recent HIB since it'd been on my wish list for quite awhile and it was the best deal I'd seen for it so far. It's quite fun so far though there are some odd design decisions such as not including an option to disable edge-scrolling despite not binding the mouse to the game window. A huge problem on a multimonitor setup like mine and an even stranger decision when you consider that the ui buttons are almost all located near the edge of the screen. Luckily there's a mod that disables it. Also changing any graphics setting requires you to restart the game for some reason. I'm not sure why they do that. It's been kinda out of style in games for over a decade now and for good reason considering that modern games can take forever to boot. (And if my first time starting the game was anything to go by then Stellaris is one of them. It took like 6-7 minutes to load the main menu the first time I started it. Hopefully not an issue that will happen in the future since some games have to compile some caches the first time.)

Past those issues though it's pretty interesting. It feels like a proper 4x game despite being presented in something of an rts manner. The customization options for creating your own species are pretty cool too. And I like that they give you the option to display dlc options for customization even if you don't own them but you can also hide them too if you don't want to see them. Most games wouldn't bother giving an option at all.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Started out Hydlide II: Shine of Darkness' MSX version, currently trying to level up to Lv4 on Ghouls in the graveyard. Wolves are not a good exp source because of how filled with peaceful NPCs that lower your Forth meter (actually Force, as in Star Wars) if you kill them the main land is. This game sure has that trademark Hydlide Jank.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

started ato, a cat samurai metroidvania

it's uh. super good. i don't have any other thoughts. the art's pretty, the platforming feels good, the exploration is solid (map gives away too much tbh), the bosses are fun and varied (and there seem to be a lot of them lol), nothing i can even complain about yet
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Hydlide II broke me.

Now I want to be clear that I'm not saying this out of "haha hydlide bad avgn woo" as most of you are aware, like, I respect what this game and this series tried to do. It has a morality meter, it tried to add a way to gain Magic and Strength outside of levelling up by training in certain shops, it has towns, friendly NPCs, etc but it does it all super bad.

Experience gain is moderately better, with you not having to defeat 100 slimes to get to Lv2, Ghouls provide decent EXP gains, but money earning is paltry. And training in Ascetic Practices for strength is like 3000 Gold!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!? what. You can repeat without paying as long as you win, but the minigame feels so random, I can't figure out how to win other than like. Waiting a while before throwing a punch. You basically box with the monk, and whether he dodges, you dodge or either of you get hit depends on arcane magic hidden within the code. Magic also suffers from a similar problem. Gaining Magic Points required ~620 Gold on my first upgrade. My second upgrade? Try ~2350.

There are only three overworld enemy types and they're scarce (Wolves in forests, Ghouls in graveyards, Sandworms in deserts), every other overworld NPC is a friendly NPC so killing them causes your Forth to go down. Your Forth going down too much causes no one to talk to you so you can't finish the game!!!!!! Woo Video Games Are Good And Fun!!!!!!!!!

The only way to gain a decent amount of money is like. Selling the Mystic Drug, a mandatory item for beating the game. Buying it back? 50000 Gold, the max you can hold. I'm sorry I just. I'm not gonna sit here and say that this game is bad and has no redeemable qualities. That would be dishonest of me, and extremely unfair to the game. I just don't like it. At all. It feels. Bad to play. It's. No. Sorry. To me, it's not fun. That's it.

EDIT: Started Rocket Knight Adventures and man does it feel like a breath of fresh air.
Last edited by KobaBeach 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Conquered the Alola League in Pokemon Ultra Sun. Most of the praise I had for Moon applies here, but the changes for Ultra need to be discussed and dissected.
  • Earlier Special Magnetic Field for Vikavolt, yes please (I don't care for Crabrawler/Crabominable but they get earlier evo too I suppose)
  • I've said this before but the Rotomdex is super chatty. It's fine every once in a while but it's just ridiculous here. Especially at higher affinity, where they're chatting with you after anything and everything that kicks you off of the adventure screen. It also has no sense of context - it'll ask me if I want to save then ignore if I've just saved manually, or it'll prompt me to use healing items because someone on my team is severely injured... while I'm in a Pokemon Center.
  • I kind of liked Poni Island being the Odd One Out in terms of when you do the Grand Trial, since your adventure line takes you through the Last Trial anyway and Hapu has taken a personal interest in seeing you succeed by that point. Still, the Poni Ultra Grand Trial is suitably epic.
  • Something about making Lusamine more sympathetic just doesn't click for me? She was already a retread of N from Black/White but N actively knew his role was the Hero Antagonist while Lusamine... doesn't, and making her sympathetic just makes this worse instead of better. It doesn't help that the original story line was "Lusamine is at best neglectful and at worst actively abusive to her human children, I don't trust her to properly take care of Pokemon" and the new one is "Lusamine is hyper-obsessed over caring for Necrozma because that's something that could help her find her long-lost husband."
I'm going to keep playing through the Rainbow Rocket scenario, to see what that's all about, but I really want to get back to Gen 1 and get back to work on catching all the basic pokemon there.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I didn't actually play Gal Gun (yet)

I'm slowly crunching through Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. I'd heard some stuff recently about people not liking it because it kinda runs like ass and that's true, I've had slowdown and enemies pop in and I guess if you wanna complain about the camera sometimes it gets shoved in your back pocket. Here's the thing though: it's fun. I really liked the original Hyrule Warriors and I think ignoring technical limitations that AoC is the better game. Well, the map screen is a MESS and it's kind of hard to find anything, but they have a thing where you can sort all the missions or upgrades in a list which I think is kind of funny that they needed to do that.

I'm up to non-spoiler if you know Breath of the Wild

the part where the castle gets taken over by calamity ganon

and idk how far into the game that is but I'm assuming maybe halfway or a little over it just based on how much the map is filled in with endless markers. It's nice to do some of the challenge levels as opposed to story missions as a break from work (not that I goof off a lot while working from home nope) or just need a break from anything else.

I could see myself 100%ing the missions but the DLC sounds like a snore unless they add Linkle or something
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Playing Bully again. I want to clear all the classes before I really continue the story (I think I'm at the end of Chapter 1, I just finished Halloween). However, I've hit a massive brick wall with Biology 5 and Music 5, which happen to be on the same day. The latter I think I can pull off, but I'm at a loss with the former. In short: My hands shake, and I have fine motor issues, and you have to be VERY precise with that task. Given that I'm using a Wiimote Plus that's more sensitive the original that was in use when Bully was released, I have to wonder if the sensitivity mixed with my tremors are making that much harder than it should (since everything I've read suggests the Wii version is supposed to be the easiest to complete Biology with). In which case, that sucks.

Given there's no real reward for 100%ing the game, I might just declare the classes unwinnable and just move on with the rest of the game. But it's still rather frustrating. Ah well.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i feel like my soul just got sucked out through my dick

hydlide 2 clear

Oh man, this game is just. Rough. Is how I'd put it as someone who appreciates games for what they are and as an artform. If I were someone more "impolite" I'd just take a quote from hbomberguy and say it's Shite-Arse. Man, uh. Tokihiro Naito is a pioneer when it comes to like, the ARPG genre but holy hot damn, I'm pretty sure he could do far better than this if he just had more time and testers available (which I assume he didn't as well as having to invent an entire genre out of Druaga, Black Onyx and... Hydlide 1?).

Like invisible warps and stairs are a thing, invisible chests, invisible pretty much everything. Ambushes on warps are also very possible to happen, happened to me multiple times. Grinding, as I said, is ridiculous. Hell, you have to be of the JUSTICE alignment to beat EVIL CRYSTAL, so right as I was about to finish the game I found out through Binary's walkthrough that I had to grind more Ghouls in the graveyard to get my FORTH bar green.

Not to mention the amount of money grinding to just train Strength ($3000 a pop) and Magic (varies but gets more expensive) as well as just. Level grinding to increase the Strength cap, and the FORTH grinding in case you grinded on sandworms too much for EXP, which are good enemies, so if your FORTH bar is in the EVIL alignment, no one will talk to you, including shopkeeps! The entire game is just an endless, unrewarding grind, mixed with like. An inferior, more obtuse Hydlide. I'm not expecting much from Super Hydlide but. If it's kind of chill, I'll be glad.

Holy shit. God. Fuck.
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

started the dream machine after having it on steam for like, ages

claymation point & click game, for a game that takes place mostly in dreams it sure has way less moon logic than most point & click games lol. so far it's quite good, chapter 3 especially is like, a bizarro dream mystery case with a pretty gruesome ending, i love it
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Made some more progress into Super Hydlide, at the halfgame (Dragon boss) and. It's pretty fun! Of course it's not the kind of game most people would get into but, I can vibe with it. I suspect it's a bit toned down from the PC versions though.

Managed to beat the Dragon boss, but died of hunger. I just laughed it off.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Heading to the Forbidden Cave where Varalys resides in Super Hydlide, but I have to grind back to 100 Mind Force from. 1. because I think I killed a few Phantoms by accident, because I thought they were Wraiths. Same sprite but Phantoms are stark white while Wraiths are a white-ish purple, honestly one of the game's problems. The MF also increases slower than FORTH, 1 per 10 evil kills, FORTH was 1 per 2, it also decreases by larger quantities with each good kill. Oh well, gives me motivation(?) to grind to at least Lv20 with the new stronger monsters that popped up in Fairyland, to prepare for Kaizack (who is actually Guyzac in Japanese). After that, stat gains are lower so. :T

Sarahs are really cute.

This game is fun~

EDIT: At the final dungeon. Taking a break.

EDIT 2: Undid Fairyland by killing Kaizack, and presumably went back to the real world (I didn't watch the intro), Super Hydlide clear.

Man, this was a fun game! Super clunky, super esoteric, but I liked it a lot! I'm pleasantly surprised after Hydlide 2, wow. My biggest complaints are the Mind Force/morality mechanic being even more annoying than Hydlide 2's. The weight and hunger mechanics were a bit cumbersome but I got used to it. Special shout out to me fucking dying of hunger at one point during Kaizack, and I had no idea what was going on, plus I placed a savestate checkpoint before it so I just kept repeating it hoping I would win. lol

Really fun game.

After this it's Virtual Hydlide. Digitized protag side's story. Farewell Jim, forever.

EDIT 3: And now Virtual Hydlide has been defeated.

Actually this is the least frustrating of the Hydlides. It's not a good game per se (as in well crafted), but it's perfectly playable. It's kind of fun, even its garbageness and jank is huge fun. Like, it's kind of like watching a really bad movie. I had fun with it, despite having a lot of rage towards Varalys at the end because I didnt know about the extra Stamina Drink and Scroll of Herb stashed away in Varalys' Fortress. Like, yeah the graphics and framerate and engine are. Absolutely god awful, like it's theorized that it's just the Pebble Beach Golf Links engine, but. It kind of works in gameplay? At least in Easy mode, which is the default, and also I do not want to do this on harder difficulties. Overall, I've played far worse Sonic games (cough Blast on Game Gear).

Final Ranking:
1. Space Memories
2. Virtual
3. Hydlide 1
4. (last and very much least) Shine of Darkness

Over all it's a really interesting franchise, but it's very hard to get into these days. I respect what the first three games did, and Virtual will stick with me for a while and will probably stay in the back of my mind when I need a good time waster (H2 will stick with me for far worse reasons), but. Time was not kind to the first three.

Sayonara, Jim the Hedgehog.
Image Image
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago Absolutely god awful, like it's theorized that it's just the Pebble Beach Golf Links engine, but. It kind of works in gameplay?
Wait what

Like, do you have some proof of this? Not because I doubt you but because that on its own is batshit absurd

Haven't been playing much, despite my birthday weekend. I have been sneaking in A Robot Named Fight! though from time to time on my Switch. It's good simple romp that plays to the spirit of Super Metroid while still being a rogue-like. Still, I need to play more carefully than I usually do in metvanias
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago Absolutely god awful, like it's theorized that it's just the Pebble Beach Golf Links engine, but. It kind of works in gameplay?
Wait what

Like, do you have some proof of this? Not because I doubt you but because that on its own is batshit absurd
no, that's why i said it's theorized

it's a hugely common theory but there is like, no developer interviews and whatnot about virtual hydlide's development, but it has the exact same artstyle as t&e's pebble beach golf links and waialae country club (semi-realism), only a lot more jarring and i believe with worse performance
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Went from episode 08 to episode 11: "under ground" in Sengoku TURB.

After outright killing Gertrude (oh no ;w;), we've discovered Doppa ºC was behind all of this as Nietzsche explained that the Sheep Kingdom also got an invitation, resulting in some of the cabaret ministers being turned into Mutton Masala (just like how the Cat Kingdom got, only their cat people got turned into a Catburger), but she got hit by one of his arrows before she could finish the sentence. Jino also doesn't have any memories of him, can't tell if this is for laughs or not.

We've hunted him down to the other side of Planet Lyon, established a brand new base of operations for the Cat-Sheep Kingdom, and found Jino's old cat buddies from the Pack-cat Star in the intro, who also joined our forces in the Cat-Sheep Kingdom. The cat aliens reminisce on what happened to them thus far, and Jino sets off with the soldiers to battle Doppa.

They end up falling down a pit and run into three entrances reading: STRANGER (enemy difficulty is random), CHALLENGER (enemy difficulty is stronger) and ORDINARY (enemy difficulty is normal). Of course, I picked ORDINARY.
Image Image
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity update

I beat the story mode. There's still all the sidequest stuff where you basically gather materials from stages to finish and I'm at 73% completion according to the game. I'm not sure I can be arsed to do them all, but there's a specific post-game bit that I'm gonna try to do. After that? Ehh, I dunno! So I'll probably be chomping at this for a few days still
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Still been in a shmup mood. I rediscovered my favorite shmup from when I was a kid; I played it at the arcade all the time but forgot what it was, only to randomly find it in a shmup recomendation YouTube video. It's called 19XX: The War Against Destiny and replaying it made me remember why I loved it so much back then. One of my favorite soundtracks in the genre and thank fuck for unlimited continues on an emulator because I don't know how I could ever beat this without them lmao
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I finished FFV
It is amazing
The job system in it is just so good
It's definitely one of my favorite FFs

I've also done Ophilia, Haanit, Therion, and Alfyn's Chapter 4s in Octopath
Alfyn's chapters were my favorite so far

I also restarted FF3 DS, I've gotten back up to where I was last time, just after the Nepto Temple
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Yesssss, FFV is so good. They made a grave error not letting it leave Japan for so long. It's easily my favorite Final Fantasy.

Which makes it extra frustrating that there's no good definitive version :(
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

AuraLancer wrote: 3 years ago
Which makes it extra frustrating that there's no good definitive version :(
I dunno. I think the GBA version fits the role. The translation's pretty good, there's enough QOL updates to make the game not tedious, and it plays well. The only real issues are the music (which, honestly, is super subjective and not worth putting weight (I say as being somewhat snobbish about music)) and the Sealed Temple (which, given Square's tendency around bonus dungeons in the time period, is to be expected, and honestly you can just ignore it). I don't see why it shouldn't be the definitive version...
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Trying to power through the home stretch of Crash Bandicoot 4. It has its moments, but man, it certainly exists.

Edited a couple hours after the original post: And I beat it. This game definitely exists, all right. Maybe tone it down next time, yo, and I do want there to be a next time since the game controlled great. It just felt like I was playing a Crash Bandicoot hack with levels that lasted way too long whether they were fun or not.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago
I dunno. I think the GBA version fits the role. The translation's pretty good, there's enough QOL updates to make the game not tedious, and it plays well. The only real issues are the music (which, honestly, is super subjective and not worth putting weight (I say as being somewhat snobbish about music)) and the Sealed Temple (which, given Square's tendency around bonus dungeons in the time period, is to be expected, and honestly you can just ignore it). I don't see why it shouldn't be the definitive version...
The GBA version could be okay if it was actually stable. My saves got corrupted so many times :(
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

AuraLancer wrote: 3 years ago
The GBA version could be okay if it was actually stable. My saves got corrupted so many times :(
I've never had a problem with saves. You sure you didn't download a bad ROM or a ROM from a bad source?

(And has anyone else dealt with this?)
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Got to Episode 12 in Sengoku TURB before losing all my progress due to a BSOD oop

Started Resident Evil (original Playstation version) with a Jill file, so far made it a few rooms in, past the Shotgun room and trap. The translation and voice acting direction is laughable but this game plays really well for tank controls. I'm taking the time to check everything in case of Ink Ribbons and what not, currently have three, used one for saving.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

At Mission 2 of Devil May Cry, got lost a bit before finding out through IGN's walkthrough that I could go in the Alastor door with the staff of judgement or something oops

Also trying to get into Dynasty Warriors 2, and I'm heading to the town of Sayan, in the Feymath region in Aretha for the Game Boy, a weirdly designed, but slightly modern in some aspects, early Game Boy RPG, related to Aretha the Super Famicom and Aretha II on the SNES. Story and dialogue isn't anything special but it's weirdly charming. Also it has diagonal movement, suck it SaGa (jk i love you saga).
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

I decided to replay Doom Eternal before getting to its dlc since, from my understanding, they start at endgame difficulty and it's been about a year since I played it. I figured I'd give nightmare difficulty a shot. The first level, or more specifically a fight near the end of it, is definitely a nightmare on nightmare difficulty. I died like a dozen or so times throughout the level and somewhere between half and 3/4ths of my deaths were in this one fight near the end. It spawns 4-5 cacodemons and an arachnotron on top of lesser demons. I kept having this really weird issue with the cacodemons in particular though. You're supposed to be able to lob a frag grenade or shoot a sticky grenade into their mouth which immediately staggers them and allows you to do a glory kill on them. Except this was randomly not working about half the time even when I lobbed the grenade dead center of their open mouth. Which would consistently result in me quickly getting mauled to death because your health on nightmare difficulty makes wet tissue paper look durable.

I'll get the dash in level 2 at least so that'll help. I'm really dreading when mancubi get introduced though. On the lowest difficulty a mancubus can kill you in like 3-4 seconds max and that's from max health and armor. I imagine that on nightmare difficulty it's going to be more or less an instant death. Which is going to suck when a solid 90% of my deaths in my original playthrough of the game were because of mancubi.

I actually think they could've balanced nightmare difficulty better though. In the classic Doom games, nightmare difficulty mostly just made monsters faster and more aggressive. (As well as respawning after a set period of time after begin killed and providing the player double ammo from pickups.) In my opinion, something similar to that here would be better than making it so any amount of health and armor is effectively meaningless.