(shouting)

ASMT 11th Anniversary LP - Hey There Guy

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Re: ASMT 11th Anniversary LP - Hey There Guy

Post by Argumentable »

Daarkbuu wrote: 3 years ago 12/13 year old me
Not specifically aimed at you, but this probably explains a lot of the problems, whatever they may be, with ASMT
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

Argumentable wrote: 3 years ago
Daarkbuu wrote: 3 years ago 12/13 year old me
Not specifically aimed at you, but this probably explains a lot of the problems, whatever they may be, with ASMT
I absolutely agree. I don't know how many people know this nowadays but a lot of us were literally kids when we worked on this thing all those years back. Kinda gives it a certain charm that you wouldn't find in a professionally developed game or more serious rom hack. Not to use it as an excuse for legit issues though

Also hi buddy <3 It's genuinely good to see you. Sorry I was such an annoying bitch back in the day, but you always made me smile for what it's worth :)
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

kids under 13 should get parental permission before making levels :unclebroadsword:
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

the real ASMT starts here
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
Pronouns: he/him/his
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

Daarkbuu wrote: 3 years ago

As for today's episode, I had forgotten all about the Chocolate Rain room and hearing that was a pretty strong nostalgia punch in an LP that's already hitting that button pretty hard.
raocow wrote: 3 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Daarkbuu wrote: 3 years ago Jesus it's been years since I've logged in here, I can't believe I still remember my old password :D I think it's so cool that you're playing this again, I only recently started to watch the LP (I know im a bit late) but the nostalgia is real. Omg Afraid of Something Unseen! I can't remember exactly but I think like only one person was originally against putting it in because it was clearly plagiarized lol. I can't put myself in the mind of 12/13 year old me but, I think it was a case of 'this child just wants to see her fav let's player enjoy and laugh at something she was responsible for putting in and referencing at least' lmaoo. Luckily I made some more 'original' levels even if the concepts were still clearly tied to my unhealthy VIP addiction at the time. Kinda good to see some ancient people still around here as well
wait you're a she????? all this time i thought... really sorry! ^^;
but yeah i was expecting you to show up sometime, you're integral to the ass mutt experience too

overly hot beach fucking rules unironically.

no simba's exile background from lion king though, instead using the jonathan jones staring into the sunset background from smrpg's ending montage. makes it feel more (koba)beach-y, as exile was basically the brambly outskirts from when simba ran from the hyenas into the jungle timon and pumbaa were at, not a beach at all; but as a lion enthusiast and a disney-as-a-monopoly-hating lion king fan (kingdom hearts and the 8 and 16bit licensed games fucking rule tho, i want to play epic mickey and goin quackers too) im saddened.

even then boss bass is fun

tangential: still need to actually watch the kimba anime (plural), apparently he wears his dead dad (panja/caesar) as a pelt? that's metal as fuck i dont know what other furries were so shocked about
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

And thus Some Jerk's responsibility for the booster dumping fiasco was erased from history...
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Daarkbuu wrote: 3 years ago Also hi buddy <3 It's genuinely good to see you. Sorry I was such an annoying bitch back in the day, but you always made me smile for what it's worth :)
I won't wax poetic too much but yeah, good to see you, too. Seeing this hack replayed brings back lots of memories from 10 years ago and kinda makes me regret not keeping in touch with a bunch of people from here. I think the only ones I still have any real contact with left ages before I did funnily enough.
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

ゆっくりしていってね
本物でっていうパワー

I've been watching the old ASMT lp in the background while doing programming stuff - for when I'm taking a break from Disassembly Magic or whatever I'll name it, I'm trying to puzzle out how Legend of Heroes III PC stores (and decompresses?) its scripts to export em with the control codes with the help of Snowman, for what can be turned back in to C++, and x86 documentation, to later try to translate them with the help of the Falcom Discord and whatnot - and I have to say, raocow was a lot more obnoxiously monkeycheese in the past. I'm really only still with him due to him mellowing out and due to getting into him as a dumb teenager.

But more importantly, a lot of ASMT's stages are surprisingly charming, bad design and whatnot. I've truly undermined it. Whomever thought A2MT should try to be """good""", which ironically ended up turning it bad, deserves to sit in the corner. I'll have to check out the SMWCP playthrough sometime, so I can condemn SMWCP2 as well lol.

Spinning Sand Castle and Flying Objects Sea

seem misnamed, like neither of the stages seem to match the name in terms of theming other than like

the Sand Castle and Sea parts and a bit of spinning at the start of SSC

, but everyone was middle school age at the time I guess, we all name stuff stupid names.

<Tangent Warning>

Like I remember I had an account on one of those online click to level up internet forum signature pet sites, but with Pokémon, and I named a Darkrai I got (which was absurdly common in that site), "Rocky". I'm bad with Pokémon nicknames to this day, Chao and real life pets are much easier to name, Digimon I just name whatever because of how volatile their evolutionary states are. I also used to come up with fake Sonic fangames when I was younger because I didn't know how to code, and one of them was a sort of When Tails Gets Bored sequel starring Cream as the foil, with Tails as the protagonist iirc? And one of the stages was her turning the Death Egg femme after stealing it from Eggman. The best name I could come up with was "Beauty Egg Zone" because Cream is super femme and femmes like to look cute for themselves, which I'm sure was confusing to people on SRB2 when I just braindumped all my made up Zone names on a made up Zone name thread back in '08. woops

<Tangent Over>

PANIC PUZZLE is especially hilarious. Its gimmick is basically

travelling around a small stage collecting three raocoins, but you move around through pipes and the stage has 100 marioseconds so the music keeps speeding up until it ends up looping around and becomes slow as molasses

and it works beautifully. USE YOUR ILLUSION is also creative as heck. The

Rumia

boss is also extremely well done for 2009, and for someone who didn't even use Lunar Magic before contributing to the hack even, when we get there, it'll be a treat.

The use of windowing to represent Rumia's darkness magic is sublime, despite the lack of visibility being a bit cheap. A creative use of the SNES' hardware features that would be expected in a commercial game, but would be a rarity in most SMW custom bosses, due to poor documentation on the tutorial side of things (again not shittalking smwc). Good HDMA for the background gradient and scrolling speed as well. The boss in itself is simple, but it's the little things, the bells and whistles that elevate it to greatness.

Argumentable wrote: 3 years ago I think the only ones I still have any real contact with left ages before I did funnily enough.
bitch we're mutuals on twitter. even if we only talk once a month
Image Image
RealLink

Post by RealLink »

raocow was almost right about Chocolate Castle existing because of the tileset, IIRC it was the cookie sprite that inspired me to build a level around it. I'm glad he didn't die to timeout, I must've never played the level without dying post midpoint because that seemed way tighter than it should be.
I think the Chocolate Rain meme was already pretty dead around the time ASMT was made but young me felt like it fit too well.
Apart from the fact that a lot of the levels design focuses way too much on dragon coins I'm still pretty satisfied.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

raocow, I think it's good for you to recognize up front that it's just never gonna be a good idea to insult your past self's skills when it comes to any particular segment. You're just setting yourself up for embarrassment!
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

It seems I actually remember a few things about this part of the game, namely the area raocow used as a life farm, and the fact that raocow had a hard time with the secret exit in "RAW HORSE POWER". It was fun playing this game myself and realizing "hey, I remember this!".

For some reason I just could not double grab in "Chillout" despite being more than familiar with the concept, so I eventually just resorted to kicking the items around, which surprisingly wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

In "RAW HORSE POWER" it seems I've finally found something I can do better than raocow: Yoshi jumps, which I find funny because I normally never abandon Yoshi in a pit unless it's mandatory (like in this level). Otherwise if I mess up a jump I'll gladly go down alongside Yoshi.

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
Image Image Image Image
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

all i wanna do is
Image Image Image Image
*click* *cash register* and take ya money
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Daarkbuu

Post by Daarkbuu »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago wait you're a she????? all this time i thought... really sorry! ^^;
but yeah i was expecting you to show up sometime, you're integral to the ass mutt experience too
The internet's pretty wacky. Sometimes it's hard to tell who anyone actually is, and even harder to realize how much a human can evolve in the span of a good number of years. Ass mutt is a marvelous name btw
KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago overly hot beach fucking rules unironically.

no simba's exile background from lion king though, instead using the jonathan jones staring into the sunset background from smrpg's ending montage. makes it feel more (koba)beach-y, as exile was basically the brambly outskirts from when simba ran from the hyenas into the jungle timon and pumbaa were at, not a beach at all; but as a lion enthusiast and a disney-as-a-monopoly-hating lion king fan (kingdom hearts and the 8 and 16bit licensed games fucking rule tho, i want to play epic mickey and goin quackers too) im saddened.

even then boss bass is fun
That background was much easier to rip and assemble using the resources at the time. I tried originally doing the Lion King one but it ended up looking like crap :sandwich:

That secret exit to Raw Horse Power still looks like a nightmare tbh. I haven't touched a hack in years so i'd probably have to save scum all the way through that part just to keep myself from tearing my hair out. Also never was a fan of the palette of that first level, but I actually love the old school item based design haha
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

If I remember correctly, Untitled actually didn’t have a name when it was submitted, so the name is fitting in two ways!

Also I see the Yoshi level must have been from before I figured out that there was more to good palettes than “make everything gradients of the same colour”. Gotta make everything green, even the lava! :V And I don’t remember there being any deeper thought or plot relation behind the Magikoopa stuff at the end other than the visual of the giant Magikoopa carrying Yoshi away to the boss fight being kind of funny.
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

i swear once upon a time i saw a video by yoshicookiezeus that was a version of The Horse Level mid-development, in a build before stuff like the demo graphics had been applied (either that or it was its own ROM before insertion), and i had to physically re-assert to myself to check it existed in the first place and it sure does! so i guess if you want a rare look into ASMT's development, i think this counts?

also i think The Horse Level is also the first ever use of the thwomp boss in a completed hack??? i could be mistaken on that front. what i'm getting at is that The Horse Level is pretty iconic for smw hacks
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

緑の荒野
無題
大変いじめられたでっていうの仕返し

I can't look at Tails' graphic tricks the same way again ever since I found out about VLDC3's Subaqua Adventure thanks to DeppySlide. It looks like instant ramen. Dae (current nick)'s Untitled looks great still today, she did a good job with the tileset, if they are hers. Horse is like. Graphics are neat and all, but Yoshi Thwomp boss oops. Srry zeus. Lightbulb bomb is really cute though

Worried a bit earlier about whether Honeypot Trap was a term in Japanese so I could translate it, but apparently it sort of is lol
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago Worried a bit earlier about whether Honeypot Trap was a term in Japanese so I could translate it, but apparently it sort of is lol
They most definitely know about this term, because the pun tag ハニーワトラップ exists on Pixiv for particularly curvaceous drawings of Mayumi Joutouguu, Touhou's resident haniwa statue come to life.

(Generic warning to not search that tag on Pixiv in public settings)
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

That setup at the start of the vertical section in "The Wild Green Yonder" is quite a difficult thing. I got through it once without getting hit, mostly because I didn't have a powerup the first time I got there so I didn't have the option of taking a hit, but it took so long that I think I probably would have ended up running out of time if I didn't get hit later on. For every subsequent attempt I did have a powerup, and getting through the first time was such a slog that I didn't even try to dodge my way through again. Also, I brought the p-switch with me my first time through, and I used it to go up the coin staircase thinking that's where the key would be, only to get slightly annoyed when I saw where it actually was (the worst part is that I could have made it if there wasn't a giant key made out of coins blocking the way).

Despite having seen this thwomp boss many times (and although I haven't personally played many SMW hacks I want to say I've fought it myself at least once) I had a weird amount of trouble with it here. I think the bob-omb sprites were throwing me off. Compared to normal bob-ombs they're lacking a clear visual cue for when there about to explode. They do flicker, but the difference in colour is so slight I can barely tell even when I'm looking directly at them; it's certainly not something I'm going to notice out of the corner of my eye while I'm focusing on other things.

PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

This has been a great replay so far, mostly for nostalgia reasons, but also getting to see raocow improve so much at the Marios thanks to watching the old LP alongside this one. I said this in the YT comments, but a big thing that's been missing from this replay are all of raocow's reactions to the funny and stupid things that are going on in the levels. For example, today he didn't even say anything about the Layer 2 Yoshis when they first came crushing down in Revenge Of A Much Abused Horse. But in the old LP, he was genuinely startled and laughed pretty hard when he first saw that. I'm aware it's because he's already seen these things before, but it's definitely a notable difference between both playthroughs. That said, here are the demos and observations for videos 7-9, before it becomes even more of a text dump than it already is.
(then: 5, now: 0) Chocolate Castle (main stage)
(then: 0, now: 0) Chocolate Castle (boss)
(then: 6, now: 2) Booster Dump Site
(then: 0, now: 2) REVENGE OF SWITCHES PRESSED
(then: 0, now: 1) Chillout (normal exit)
(then: 0, now: 0) Chillout (secret exit)
(then: 3, now: 7) RAW HORSE POWER (normal exit)
(then: 6, now: 3) RAW HORSE POWER (secret exit)
(then: 9, now: 0) The Wild Green Yonder (normal exit)
(then: 1, now: 2) The Wild Green Yonder (secret exit)
(then: 2, now: 2) Untitled
(then: 4, now: 2) Revenge Of A Much Abused Horse (main stage)
(then: 1, now: 2) Revenge Of A Much Abused Horse (boss)

(then: 113, now: 46) Total demos

2010 observations:
  • Chocolate Castle: The Lakitu boss used the regular SMW boss music, instead of the Yoshi's Island final boss music we heard in the replay. In raocow's first run through the level he died three times, but when he visited the Chocolate Rain section in a supplemental video, he died two more times in the process of getting there. He actually died three times in the Chocolate Rain room, but backed out of them by using rewinds: once to not "ruin the moment", and the others for convenience. I didn't count those deaths above.
  • Booster Dump Site: There was a message block at the beginning of Booster Dump Site that was removed in the later version of ASMT for some reason. It read: "We got ripped off! These boosters are faulty, and they make the whole level sound weird! Just dump 'em anywhere. -- Some Jerk"
  • REVENGE OF SWITCHES PRESSED: raocow played pretty well here, keeping the key with him most of the way and using it to bop the green blocks for capes. It probably helped that he started the stage big, too.
  • Chillout: Con's message was different at the beginning of Chillout. It said: "The fields, our ancestral home. Now, occupied by the Charlesian army. Make haste to the caves. Your device has been sighted there."
  • RAW HORSE POWER: raocow died from Time Up in the RAW HORSE POWER juggling section. Thanks to editing shenanigans, we never actually saw him successfully juggle the Baby Yoshi!
  • The Wild Green Yonder: There was indeed a 1-Up at the top of the coin stairs in The Wild Green Yonder - raocow fell for that trap the first time.
  • Untitled: In Untitled, raocow also said that the weird formation looked like corn. Some things never change.
Daarkbuu

Post by Daarkbuu »

2 very green levels and one not so green level today. Wild Green Yonder has always been so pretty to me, I guess I always liked how lush that ground color looks. The vertical section sticks out in my mind as something interesting and fun but I've always wanted it to be longer. Tails155 popularized that style for sure and was one of the best to do it but, I swear there was someone semi-known before him that featured stuff like that in his hacks that were never completed. Can't place the name tho
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

this is the first vid that there's been levels i don't have any memory of
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.