(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by thatguyif »

So I sliced my finger cutting linguiça for soup :ehh:

All games on hold for the time being. Might just start up Parkitect as a way to play a more mouse-intensive game (since the cut is on my left pointer). Attempted to play RCT3 last night, but the game remains super-buggy and doesn't play nice with nVidia cards. Glad I got it for free on EGS...
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

I've finished Chapter 3 of Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. The bosses so far have all been some sort of positioning puzzle, though Chapter 1 Boss is more difficult than the other two on the first pass since you also can't use half of your secondary weapons on it at all. On top of that, Chapter 2 Boss stops being a puzzle once you get out of the first phase, and Chapter 3 Boss is more about knowing how dash attacks work.

I'm approaching Po Town in Pokemon Ultra Sun. I want to complain about missing the Special Magnetic Field for my Charjabug when I went through to Tapu Village before, but really I'm just glad to have a Vikavolt before raiding Po Town.

I've started playing Trickster Online again - a English-language Paula server opened up in the past few weeks. It's been nice starting over, but I don't particularly care for the Polar Bear class (for much the same reasons that I don't care for the Lion class - I sacrifice my shield slot in order to access the class's advanced perks, but in the Polar Bear's case it's worse since I never get the option to use a shield at all). Can't run it through Wine, which means I have to keep bouncing back and forth between Windows and Debian GNU/Linux on my desktop, but that'll help me keep both OS's up to date anyway.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Nast

Post by Nast »

I'm knee-deep into KHIII ReMind right now. The Re:Mind episode itself was a bit disappointing to me, mainly cause most of it is a retread of the main game's endgame, though whatever new content they did include was pretty neat. Exploring

Scala

and getting to play as

Kairi

was great. The

battle of the guardians of light vs Xehanort replicas

and the following setpiece with

Mickey

are so cheesy and anime but I had a big stupid grin playing through it.

Now Limit Cut, or the data battles, are really the meat of this DLC for me. Each fight so far has been ludicrously hard but very learnable and satisfying to overcome. I'm at 7 out of 13 after about a week. I'm inclined to say, at least on Critical, Dark Riku was the hardest one while Xigbar's the easiest as well as most underwhelming.

Tried out Friday Night Funkin', a new indie-developed rhythm game that seems kinda popular right now though I didn't know that going in. From the characters to the soundtrack, it oozes personality. They even got Sr. Pelo's spooky boys as a guest appearance! Gameplay itself is literally DDR framed as a rap battle, so you're mostly copying your opponent and occasionally breaking into duets. It's fine, I mean I like rhythm games but I'm not the biggest DDR fan specifically, but it's fun and charming enough that I keep coming back to it. It could definitely use some adjustments, like more satisfying input feedback or a more sensible difficulty curve, but it is early in development so no doubt the final game will address that and more.

Meanwhile my Super Mario RPG playthrough continues at a lumbering pace. Just got Bowser in my party--I mean, was temporarily allowed into Bowser's army. He's such a dork, I love it
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

At the Final Chapter of Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch, "The Kind Witch". I'm at Roudo Castle to stop Lebas from summoning the Wave of Rauarl. Managed to save Goose and Chris from a curse cast on them by Kazim, thanks to Filly and Julio going to get Argres' antler (yeah I'm pretty sure the Cold Steel boss is a reference to it, though this one looks more like the Shishigami in Mononoke) in "The Forest of the Sacred Beast", saved Queen Curly from Belarth's clutches and prevent a war between Horuku and Haizen in "A Lake Divided" (good translation bamco, i'll use it for the jp name ^^b), escaped a desert coliseum/prison along with Badatt, saved Chris from becoming a dancer in Urgit's harem and restored Kandata and Urgit to normalcy and also not being gross mind-controlled sleazeballs (which is good because Kandata is hot lmao) in "A Prophecy in Motion", and lastly, saved Durzel with the help of Joanna and Nadje Stella and discovered the true fate of the Moonlight Witch, Gueld in "Trails of the Pilgrims" (and ran into Uncle Huck's batshittery again, which is always great <3).

Really good game.

I'm going to write a sort of summary here since I'm basically at the final dungeon. I like how it's less of an epic like say, FFVI or DQV and more of a series of vignettes. The story's more laidback and humble, but that gives it a more realistic feeling. Characters are less detailed but these aren't characters whose lives are dictated by the plot, your exposure to them revolves around Julio and Chris, as this is about their pilgrimage first and foremost, and the events they experience. In a way, it's endearing. The fact that each of the eight main countries of Tirasweel are split into their own chapters and you spend some time in each town makes their presence more tangible.

The battle system I find to be more cumbersome than anything. I appreciate that it's mostly hands-off, but there are some instances where giving the AI commands is necessary and that's a bit annoying, especially in the computer versions (Windows and PC98) where it also has a stamina counter and the characters also stand around confused for a few seconds if you order them to attack party members by accident or whatnot (please use mouse). PSP has the bonus of the battles being mostly simple which is good considering fighting the battles where the on-field beasts head to you rather than avoid you is best (grinding isn't necessary though), but starting with Dorufes Tower I avoided every battle because it was getting tiring and I had a splitting headache from being unable to sleep more than 4 hours at a time these days, took a Ben-u-ron dw (can't take Aspirin).

As a bonus, the game also has a lot of cute geezers, Lap, Morrison, Alfred, Huck, Kandata, Durzel, Calack, Badatt, Belarth. Goose is a twunk rather than a DILF or silver fox but he's cute too. Him and Morrison carrying Chris and Julio to safety after they were attacked at the Shifool Shrine by Kazim helped warm me up to him. Lodi's hunk(-ish, you know anime boys are pretty lithe) ass is cute too, he reminds me of Viktor from Suikoden (which was released a year afterwards, give or take a few months?).

yes i have a facial hair fetish cut me some slack >w>
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat Moonlight Witch. What I said in the previous post still applies (ow my wrist)
Image Image
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Just finished Aladdin for the Genesis. That one gave me so much trouble as kid.

Now I'm playing Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa (that weird Famicom Konami platformer where you play as a baby). It has a really interesting mechanic where you can hit enemies with your rattle to inflate them like Dig Dug and then either jump on them or bump into them to use them as projectiles to hit bosses. In the later levels you need to aim the enemies on diagonals and use bank shots to hit the bosses. It adds a lot of interesting depth to the platforming.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Been playing Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury on the Switch. Even with the new speedy physics changes, 3D World remains one of my favorites. Bowser's Fury on the other hand is a really interesting mishmash of 3D World's gameplay with Odyssey's level design. Feels kind of like an add-on for both titles. I don't know if this is how I want Mario to go in the future, but it's a fun enough quick one-off, that's for sure.

In World 6 on 3D World with all green stars to this point and only a few missed flagpole tops and got the credits but not close to 100% for Bowser's Fury.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i'm at Hermit Radack's Retreat at Sword Mountain in PoPoLoCrois Monogatari, chapter 3: "The World of Darkness". i'm trying to beat up Kaupa of the East but this game is unbalanced and likes to get cheap shots at you real easily, Mega Flame (player party damage, fire type) fucking sucks, i didnt even know there was elemental strengths and weaknesses in this game
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

working thru the pokemon sword DLC

diglett.

diglett.

diglett.

diglett.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Along with 3D World + Bowser's Fury, I've been playing Mario Party: Star Rush on the 3DS. This game is so close to being good because it's got a lot of content, but the only mode that's got staying power is the main Toad Scramble one. Even then, it's mostly dependent on if you get good rolls and land on character spaces to beef up your team more than anything. Prefer Island Tour to this, but I'm getting close to beating all the boards here.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

oh man is this post a mess
  • I'm at the final boss fight of Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. Except not because I only just finally understood how the final phase of that boss fight works and I'm heckin' terrified of that gimmick (plus I can't seem to keep all three party members alive through phase two, at least partly because I insist on using Luigi who is notoriously fragile). My plan is to clear the Chapter 3 challenges and bring those battles up to Perfect/Perfect for more coins.
  • I'm passing through the Vast Poni Canyon in Pokemon Ultra Sun. Catching 'em All is taking a backseat due to...
  • a recently-started run of Pokemon Yellow, in which I'm deliberately catching them all. Specifically, I'm catching one of every non-evolved pokemon that's available in the wild, plus one more of each pokemon I want in my Hall of Fame team so that I don't have to do Box Juggling at the end. Unfortunately, this means I may use no Kanto starters, no Lapras, no Hitmonbaz, and no Eevee (I can still use Snorlax though, since there's two of them).
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Crow

Post by Crow »

Cyril wrote: 3 years ago working thru the pokemon sword DLC

diglett.

diglett.

diglett.

diglett.
now i just need to finish the last bit of the pokedex. i'm gonna leave slowking for later since you can't get the galar version until crown tundra but that leaves me with like a dozen "i need to do a lot of trading" pokemon which

augh
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I've been playing Kirby Super Star Ultra (JP ver.) on my 3DS as a sort of coping mechanism these past few days. Finished everything up to beating Milky Way Wishes (銀河に願いを) and Revenge of the King (大王の逆襲) earlier today. I really like the call backs RotK has, reusing RoMK style real time dialogue during Mt. Dedede felt like the kind of asset re-usage Puresabe would do in one of his Mega Man hacks. Dedede going postal over Kirby beating up his midbosses is really funny, the Fire Lion twins were really hard (but cute) ^^;
Image Image
Crow

Post by Crow »

moved in exactly two directions with two games that are thus far both pretty good but both have the same main issue of not going deep enough with their concepts/the pacing feeling just slightly too rushed

1. super mario 3d world - lots of good levels so far (except the autoscrollers) but wooow these levels all feel so short, like, anywhere between 50%-66% as long as they should be, maybe the concepts get explored better later though?
2. the zodiac trial - another VN to feed my death game addiction, this one has an interesting setup and solid writing so far but everything's so fast-paced there's almost no room to marinate on any individual scenes or sequences of events and it's hard to get attached. i'm through two of the thirteen main routes and it's already feeling waaaay shorter than the estimated "30 hours" the store page says, lol
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

im trying to beat the true arena (真 格闘王への道) and i'm Suffering. managed to get to marx soul tho

also at chapter 2, the great battle of bolt (ボルト大決戦) in white witch pc
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Got 100% in Bowser's Fury. Would've died only once due to a bad jump that landed me in non-lethal but still damaging goop, but I just soft reset. Ha. Interesting game overall. It's not exactly the way I'd go with Mario games in the future, but it's a neat enough deal here as add-on content.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Currently replaying Xenoblade X for the first time since its release. The game is a mess in a lot of ways, but it has a sense of exploration that among the games I have played has only been matched by Breath of the Wild. I absolutely love that other than a few small areas that can only be reached after you acquire flight, there is no gatekeeping whatsoever on where you can and can’t go other than “can you get there without being detected and beaten up by the local wildlife”. Still hoping we get a sequel at some point.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat The Great Battle of Bolt, and now I'm headed to The Illusion at the Tri-City Bridge in TLoH3 White Witch (TLoH2 Moonlight Witch PC).
Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Played more Bioshock 2 last night. This is once again a case of "it has good ideas, and is playable, but not great execution." I found out via a faint text (rather than the giant tutorial boxes I get every time I hack a camera) after my third weapon upgrade that the Power to the People stands are limited in number. I get the point of trying to specialize, but I'm one of those people who will not specialize for the simple reason that I want a holistic experience where I can experiment, not some compartmentalized take that's really based on assuming the player has very narrow view of the world. In addition, while I get the idea of having a one-two combo situation, the fact that switching plasmids is keyboard rather than mouse-based makes it not particularly useful.

There are definitely good ideas with the new research camera, though I'm not sure about its execution. It's very easy to screw up a method of racking up points, and then when you try it again better, you get less points because you've "done it before." Plus I don't like the fact it cuts you off when you reach a rank, which is a problem when you're dealing with splicers in limited numbers/spawns (or the Big Sisters, which I assume are also limited spawns). And it's not particularly conducive to immobile objects, i.e. "security devices." (It also doesn't help that I always want to hack, not destroy, turrets and cameras, while the latter gives you more points).

One thing I noticed it doing right was expanding on the "moral choice" situation. For one, it greatly expands on your handling of the Little Sisters, choosing to harvest right away or waiting until after they gather some ADAM to do so. That's a nice touch. Plus, it seems like the game actually gives you choices beyond the Little Sisters (such as choosing to spare or kill

Grace Holloway

). Granted, the point of Bioshock was about the absence of choice, but even so, it's a good touch.

Still, issues with the plot abounds. They ignored another plot point (Dr. Suchong explicitly brings up "Big Daddies" in his recordings, and 2 makes it sound like his successor came up with the name). The Little Sisters calling you "Daddy" instead of "Mr. Bubbles" is really weird and off (plus the voiceover/fx just doesn't feel as jarring), not to mention the mood whiplash from 😭 to 😍 is a little unsettling. Fontaine is really absent, outside of the game's narrative destination being his company HQ (which I assume is a plasmid manufacturer), which is bothersome because of the simple question of "how did Fontaine/Atlas deal with Lamb?," which is unexplored at this point. While they do a really good job of exploring the immediate aftermath of the 1959 attack in ways the original did not, it also pretends the civil war between Atlas and Ryan never happened (Grace Holloway never brings up Atlas in your interactions with her, and only Fontaine once...and the story at Ryan Amusements with the schoolteacher and her kids would make more sense if there was a nuclear holocaust, not a single terrorist attack). The Ryan/Lamb debates are EXTREMELY hokey and set up like a call-and-response thing—with Ryan always being the call and Lamb always the response—that sets up Lamb as being this hero in a really stupid YASKWEENSLAY/mic drop/"this woman spoke to authority and her words shocked the world" sort of manner. It's all so self-righteous and masturbatory.

I recall from the (also masturbatory) Keighley interviews in Bioshock that the devs originally had Atlas as a Southern voice, only for the voice to be replaced because audiences were immediately suspicious of him. I didn't see how that alone would be an issue. Then I started listening to Augustus Sinclair, and I understood why. He's a Southern dandy through and through, and the game basically goes out of the way to say "this guy is a fucking villain" right from the start. It doesn't help that his characterization seems to be "What if Fontaine did more short cons, and was smart enough not to challenge Ryan?"

The plot does some interesting things, at the least. It truly showcases the logical conclusion of the "free market" through the story of the Atlantic Express. The use of anticommunism as a means to take out a (by all intents and purposes) non-communist movement is a very powerful element and tracks extremely well with history (though it's unable to really stick with Objectivist philosophy that well).

Still...one problem sticks out...
This game does not handle race well at all. In fact, the game would've been better off if they never inserted race in the first place. (Granted, Bioshock isn't good at it either with Dr. Suchong, but still).

Grace Holloway comes off as very liberal whitewash of African-Americans in that time period. She doesn't mention being black once, and only hints at race in a couple different statements that seem to deliberately avoid bringing the term up. She doesn't talk about being from, say, black cultural centers of the time such as South Side or Harlem (given she's implied to be a jazz singer, though we never hear her sing), but the St. Louis Hooverville. Which is weird enough until you realize it was the only integrated one. She talks a lot about being poor, but never about being black and poor. And there's no mention of racism at all despite there being no other major black characters around. Now, I despise race reductionism, but it's absurd that a black woman in the 1950s and 1960s never brings up racism. Like even I'm not that much in denial.

Plus, it's heavily implied that the Brute Splicers—the giant, physical, mindless Splicers they added who throw rocks and charge at you—are mostly just black men. (supposedly, some of the Big Daddies are also black men). Racial stereotyping much?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Things feel slow lately so I'm doing the Mighty Switch Force collection cause I played the first way back and liked it. Going through it again and it's still alright. Fun little speedrun levels that I can do one or two of then go do something else. Rebeat the first, doing the bonus levels. I have no idea if any of the other games are good, but I did have an interest in them way back and just didn't bother.

I like the style of the game but I could do without the wayforward horny sometimes

Edit: I'm onto 2, it's better so far, and hornier
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

At Orange Ocean in Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land and Ieras Iello Adventure in Kirby: Canvas Curse.

Poyo~
Image Image
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

Finally 100%'d this and am currently editing to put it up on YT.

Got around to buying Borderlands 3 when it hit the Steam sale, I've barely started and am around level 8. Fun so far.

When I just want something to pass the time, I've been trying to Ace Score and Full Clear Peggle Nights lol
raocow wrote: 3 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Got the true ending of Touhou: Scarlet Curiosity yesterday, and this morning I got the last achievement, the one for getting to level 99. It's a decent, quick game, but not really something I'd recommend unless you're a realy big Touhou fan.

A few days ago I finished Ys VIII. I had a fabulous time with the game! Except for when the plot

became a copy paste of Seven's plot, but at least they didn't copy the "person you thought was ally was actually the antagonist!!" which I was totally expecting it to but pleasantly surprised the game didn't go that route

. I'm still a teeny bit sour on how the only way for me to feasibly get Adol's classic armor is to either pirate the PC version (which is what I have) or buy the Switch version. It's a little dumb that the only platform that even has all the costumes in the first place is the Switch version, but what ever. I get some of them were preorder bonuses so that's probably part of why it is the way it is. ANYWAY, Falcom Sound Team was really on point with this game! And the graphics are really impressive for what was originally a PS Vita game, especially compared to its (meh) predecessor, Memories of Celceta, which VIII is better than in basically every way.

Played some more of Rune Factory on PS3. I've noticed farming simulators aren't really for me so I'm glad that Rune Factory isn't just the farming aspect. I've had some fun, though I'm still not totally sure if I want to try one of the newer ones, like RF4 or the forthcoming 5.

Also, started the Android version of Dragon Quest 1. I basically got it for free since I paid for it with gift money. Haven't played it too much yet but hopefully I'll stay the course and actually beat a Dragon Quest game.

Oh, also, turns out I only had like 20 minutes left of Chapter 6 in Legend of Heroes 3, so I finished that up and got to Chapter 7. I can appreciate the game for what it is, but I'm not really into it like at all. I was more invested in LoH4's plot, but I also didn't like that game very much. I imagine part of it is the very shoddy translation, which is very unfortunate.
Crow

Post by Crow »

mario 3D world: it continues to be pretty good. very easy so far though but i'm okay with that it's a fun chill time. i hear the postgame gets a bit mean though mostly just the gauntlet level so
Crow

Post by Crow »

all green stars/gold flags done & all levels cleared as mario

champion's road is probably the series' best attempt at a "brutal final marathon level" to date since the level itself is just the right length (unlike odyssey) and not too unforgiving (like galaxy 2's perfect run). dunno the 3D land one because i could never be bothered to 100% that game but iirc it's fairly weak? anyways bowser's fury next then i'll go back to do full clears for all the other characters