(shouting)

Donkey Kong 64 - I heard a whistle, so something cartoony and stupid's gonna happen... Oh, something stupid is happening

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - grapes are not even hard

Post by raocow »

I think it's sarcastic.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Petzi wrote: 3 years ago For some reason I always thought that all shops (Cranky's, Candy's, Snide's etc) were all equivalent, regardless of the level? Have I been wrong all my life?

Fun fact: When Lanky jumps, he often says "Ouve lá!" which means "Listen here!" in Portuguese.
Other comments I've seen suggest they're identical but later upgrades are unlocked when you reach later levels.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

It's weird, but the Klobbers in this game actually seem to be more dangerous than the Kabooms. Both enemies hurt you on contact for one unit of health, but the Kabooms blow themselves up while the Klobbers persist. I think it's kind of strange to have the Klobbers hurt you rather than push you around, which was their main gimmick in DKC2.

raocow fell from some really high places several times today. Does anyone know if you can nullify fall damage by ground pounding just before landing, like in Super Mario 64? I honestly can't remember.
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

PSI Ninja wrote: 3 years ago raocow fell from some really high places several times today. Does anyone know if you can nullify fall damage by ground pounding just before landing, like in Super Mario 64? I honestly can't remember.
You probably can't, they enter a "oh shit I'm falling!" animation after falling for a while in which I haven't managed to do anything at all until after I splat onto the ground. You can do an attack before said animation happens to trigger a reset of the fall distance once so it can sometimes be avoided if it's not too high up, but not as a last second save.
fart.
Zarcyne1

Post by Zarcyne1 »

Duker wrote: 3 years ago
PSI Ninja wrote: 3 years ago raocow fell from some really high places several times today. Does anyone know if you can nullify fall damage by ground pounding just before landing, like in Super Mario 64? I honestly can't remember.
You probably can't, they enter a "oh shit I'm falling!" animation after falling for a while in which I haven't managed to do anything at all until after I splat onto the ground. You can do an attack before said animation happens to trigger a reset of the fall distance once so it can sometimes be avoided if it's not too high up, but not as a last second save.
The attack animation would stop damage, but the fall animation takes away any player control. It is possible to land on a sloped hill to not take damage you should have taken and interrupts the fall animation iirc. But other than that no, once you enter the fall animation there is nothing you can do to change what will happen, so hope you aim for the slope right.
Zarcyne1

Post by Zarcyne1 »

Zarcyne1 wrote: 3 years ago
It is possible to land on a sloped hill to not take damage you should have taken and interrupts the fall animation iirc.
Actually now that I think on it , you might splat on the slope before you start sliding if you are in the fall animation, though if you are not falling the slide animation will trigger saving you from splatting.
strongbadman

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - there are too many things they want you to do

Post by strongbadman »

I feel like the Nintendo Coin (and the rare coin to a lesser extent) is a microcosm of DK64's 'too many collectibles problem. Hidden away in world 3 in what really should just be an easter egg is this unique collectible. That's required to complete the game and, like most of the kong powerups basically amounts to 'it's just a key' but is even less interesting than those.
Paragraph

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - there are too many things they want you to do

Post by Paragraph »

A bit late, but I really hate the opening parts of Gloomy Galleon. It's super unfocused, confusing, you need to switch Kongs every three steps...

The level never becomes great, mind, but at least you can explore a little after you opened those initial paths and got the scattered banana paths out of the way. It's torture until then, however. Also really weird because raocow correctly pointed out that in Jungle Japes and Angry Aztec, there were clear "this kong for that path" signposts, and while you did have the occasional off-color banana balloon or coin stash, you could mostly stick to a single kong for one branch for a while.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - see here, there's a mystery box, I don't know if I can do anything about it

Post by FPzero »

Gloomy Galleon is where a lot of enthusiastic runs of this game died for me, and probably many others. It's too large with little to do in most of the swimming areas, there's a lot of these little side areas that one kong can explore but they're always in like, little sublevels and not the main level, which makes the main level feel super empty while also feeling massive. Add to that the murky water and the floaty swimming controls, and it's just not a fun place to explore.

I posted about it after the first video but does anyone know if holding R while swimming make you corner faster like it does in both Banjos? It's been too long since I played the game to remember. That could be beneficial here if it does.

Also I don't think you actually touched the star with Enguarde. I think you were slightly short.
cheez8
Food Nut

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - see here, there's a mystery box, I don't know if I can do anything about it

Post by cheez8 »

Yeah, Gloomy Galleon's kind of a mess. If the swimming physics were better, perfect even, it would still probably be the worst world in the game for too many reasons. And of course, the swimming physics aren't better.
I don't really get it but okay
Paragraph

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - all I know is that exploding makes me lose money

Post by Paragraph »

Facts about this game
- rocket barrel flying is aaaaaass
- it is hard to tell where 2D sprites in 3D space are
- the hitboxes are garbage throughout - every one is a bit smaller than it should be
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Zarcyne1

Post by Zarcyne1 »

Yep, that rocket barrel minigame is utter trash and it can go die in a fire. It is the biggest reason why Angry Aztec is probably my least favorite world, though the not lava and segmented character buildings don't help either. At least it is done, and you can look forward to a better tomorrow.

Anyway, I missed my chance yesterday to say that Enguarde is easily my favorite animal buddy and I'm so glad he's in this game. It's too bad this is his last mainline appearance. I really like the way he plays here, he's fast and agile. It's nice that you can use him almost for anywhere in Gloomy Galleon unlike Rambi being stuck to the back of a cave.

I know people rag on Gloomy Galleon, and it deserves it, but it feels like the best they could have done to make the token water level...fun? You move real fast underwater and have no air meter which leads to the ability to explore a wide open space fairly easily. It's too bad they have to add a bunch of teeny collectables literally everywhere that are impossible to grab.
FPzero wrote: 3 years ago I posted about it after the first video but does anyone know if holding R while swimming make you corner faster like it does in both Banjos? It's been too long since I played the game to remember. That could be beneficial here if it does.
If you hold Z underwater, you actually come to a complete stop, which can be good to help aim, though it kinda feels bad.
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

raocow: you said you wanted to end the video with a punch, & you sure did.

No, the hitboxes on those rings are that bad. You can clearly see Diddy go into the rings a few times ( albeit not right in the center ), & still not registering.

I don’t understand why so many 3D platformers had these Superman 64 style fly-thru-rings sections. E’en Super Mario 64 has 1 underwater, & it’s terrible with terrible hitboxes, too; & if Super Mario 64 couldn’t get it right, I don’t know why anyone else back then thought they could. ( Actually, now that I think ’bout it, I think the Spyro games did an alright job in the raceways. )
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 3 years ago raocow: you said you wanted to end the video with a punch, & you sure did.

No, the hitboxes on those rings are that bad. You can clearly see Diddy go into the rings a few times ( albeit not right in the center ), & still not registering.

I don’t understand why so many 3D platformers had these Superman 64 style fly-thru-rings sections. E’en Super Mario 64 has 1 underwater, & it’s terrible with terrible hitboxes, too; & if Super Mario 64 couldn’t get it right, I don’t know why anyone else back then thought they could. ( Actually, now that I think ’bout it, I think the Spyro games did an alright job in the raceways. )
Actually, I think the issue with the SM64 one was more that the rings disappear quickly, but also that the manta ray hurts you if you get too close. If they stayed out longer, you'd do it muuuuch easier.

But yes- this game is absolutely hurt by spamming 2D sprites in 3D space, making it very non-obvious where the heck they are. There's next to no visual cues!
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

Rocketbarrelling is something you need to get a feel for. When just exploring around, I find that flying with the Rocket Barrel as Diddy is really fun, but much less so when it's needed for precision-based tasks. It doesn't help that raocow's first major usage of it was during today's super finicky "fly through the rings" minigame. I'm not sure why the developers opted to make these rings 2D sprites that look the same from every angle. Rare had already coded 3D rings in previous games (e.g., the rings inside Clanker in Banjo-Kazooie, and the Plane Zippers in Diddy Kong Racing). I don't see a reason why they couldn't have done the same thing here.

As for Enguarde, I like how the very first text you get when you transform tells you how to cancel out of being him. Not even a proper introduction or anything. I checked back and this was also the case for Rambi. Poor guys.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

The rocket barrel segments are some of the most annoying parts of this game. So it's so weird to me that it's like one of the few elements from this game they reference so much in later games.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

well at least they know you remember them
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Nimono wrote: 3 years ago Actually, I think the issue with the SM64 one was more that the rings disappear quickly, but also that the manta ray hurts you if you get too close. If they stayed out longer, you'd do it muuuuch easier.
PSI Ninja wrote: 3 years ago I'm not sure why the developers opted to make these rings 2D sprites that look the same from every angle. Rare had already coded 3D rings in previous games (e.g., the rings inside Clanker in Banjo-Kazooie, and the Plane Zippers in Diddy Kong Racing). I don't see a reason why they couldn't have done the same thing here.
Given that this game already has a lot of slowdown on real hardware,
I can only assume they made a lot of 2-D sprites in order to save on processing power

Of course, as many people have said, judging the location of a 2-D sprite in 3-D space is far from easy,
and anything that either doesn't cast a shadow or is just too high up is always going to be something that you just have to learn

Really, this game is a crash course on why bigger isn't always better
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
Pronouns: he/him/his
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

Lanky's bananas remind me of Viva La Bam.

"Hey Phil, what's your favorite color?"

raocow wrote: 3 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

The garbage 2D rings must be a hardware limitation. They had done a fair job in the Banjo games with minigame rings, and in fact there's perfectly serviceable 3D path indicators in DK64 - the coins you have to collect in various tracks, and were the buoys in the seal race 3D as well? I find it hard to tell. Still, the coins were there too.

But! Those tracks are all in separate areas, not in the big hub. I'm sure that's one big reason.

Generally though, again, all the hitboxes are just way too small. There's no reason why touching the edge of the ring shouldn't count. I doubt that making the hitbox bigger is a drain on the game's resources. It must have been a deliberate choice to enforce precision/increase difficulty, and it was either poorly tested or deemed good enough by people who had already mastered the flying controls. Apply this for any other hitbox in the game.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

MonkeyShrapnel wrote: 3 years ago
okay that's tragic. if they hadn't messed them up like this accidentally, i bet that star would've been so much easier, and SM64 would've been king of swim through rings, as the only one to get it right :P
Bean
Yep.

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - throwing peanuts everywhere

Post by Bean »

Some of these minigames sure do exist.
Zarcyne1

Post by Zarcyne1 »

Sees the title saying only 2 bananas: I wonder what happened. Sees racing minigame entered 25% into the video: Oh I see. That said, that minigame is not all bad, at least it has a reason to make you slow down and you kind of get a feel for it after a while so it's good.
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

The real DK64 has begun.

I love how raocow rages @ that minigame thruout, & then ends with, <That wasn’t too bad>.

While I agree that it isn’t the worst minigame, the trial-&-error learn the right path branches are dumb, & this minigame is way too early in the game for its own good.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.