(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Alice »

NastCF wrote: 3 years agoI like how it ended on a cliffhanger but I don't own a PS3 so I guess I'll never see the finale lol
This is exactly why I didn't care for the ending, lol. I've never had any chance to play the third game.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Completed up through Ice Cavern in Ocarina of Time 3D. It's too bad OoT3D sealed the Bottom of the Well properly until you played the Song of Storms, that was one of the few skips I had learned how to do.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Alice

Post by Alice »

I got reminded that Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night now has a randomizer mode so I decided to give it a try. It's actually pretty fun (mostly because I got the best mobility shard, High Jump, early on as well as some really decent mid to late-game equipment) but there's one really dumb issue. For whatever reason the devs decided that you cannot load a randomizer game from the load game menu. You can only do it through the extras menu where you'd expect to only go to start a new game in one of these extra modes. And if you attempt to load a randomizer game through the load game menu, it's just greyed out and gives literally zero info on why you can't load it. This combined with the game randomly crashing at one point had me searching for like a half hour on why I couldn't load my save worried it might be corrupted.

Saves are clearly marked according to their game mode so why can't you just load your game from the freaking load game menu? That's where people are going to be expecting to load it from in the first freaking place.
Also the option that shuffles warp rooms and save rooms together was definitely worth it, if only for this screenshot, lol.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

I woke up at 4 AM, expecting it to be 5 AM (I didn't know the clock wasn't set ahead) and when I realized it wasn't I went through The Divine Terminus, Void Termina and Extra Planet δ in a state of half-asleep. I died a lot but I also had like 126 lives

Kirby Star Allies is a pretty decent game, despite people calling it unfinished. The main issue is that, like Triple Deluxe before it, its main gimmicks are just fanservice (Dream Friends) or setpieces (Friend Abilties) rather than powerups that can be iterated and expanded on as they go along, like the Robobot Armor. Closest to that is the elemental affinity Friend Abilities and even they those are mostly attack bonuses apart from some small puzzle elements. 3.5/5, let it pass.

Also binged a bit of Mario Maker 2's story mode. 27 jobs done and I'm at Begone, Rotten Mushroom for the standard ones. Started work on West and East Wing 2F, still haven't started Main Hall 3F. >tfw chief toadette is union busting capitalist scum, worst character development

I'm also at Mount Gulg in Final Fantasy I PSX. Trying to beat Marilith is tough, but I'm digging the challenge. It still feels less fun when its on a handheld though, haha. Used to them being easier.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

My problem with Star Allies is that it really toned down the exploration in levels for the main game. Like in Return to Dream Land, Triple Deluxe, and Planet Robobot, there were three hidden items per stage and some of them required work. Star Allies just left it at one usually, and it was mostly easy to find. It was a solid game, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with it.

Thinking about starting up Ys VI, but the only version I have is the PSP one. We'll see.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Breached Ganon's Tower in Ocarina of Time 3D. This has been a nice break from RPG after RPG, but I really need to get this unit sent off for repairs. If nothing else, I miss having open-air sound.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Got to the credits Super Mario Maker 2's story mode (still have to finish the rest of the jobs, only did 75)! Really good sort of tech demo of what you can do with the engine, and pretty good level design as well. I found it kind of better than Odyssey, honestly.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Blitzed through the latter half of Super Mario Odyssey. Didn't get all unique moons just yet though!
Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Played a demo of a game in development called Zordak. Very Super Metroid not only in play style but but aesthetics. My main beef with it is that it kind of imposes small puzzles to move forward, which I find a little grating. Hopefully, that's something that's not too common with the finished game.

Did a co-op run of Untitled Goose Game yesterday with a friend. It was a lot of fun just going back into that and muck around. We finished the game

, we'll probably play the post-game next weekend

If I have time tonight, I'll play the Trials of Mana demo. But tomorrow, I settled on starting Outer Wilds. That won't be as long a game to play, I feel.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Instead of Ys VI, I gave Crash Bandicoot 4 a spin. It plays well so far, but the levels themselves have way too much bloat that it's making getting 100% on them kind of nuts. Always thought the Crash games were better with the less is more approach, but this one has a ton of stuff to find or break in every level and is like all those collectathon platformers of the late 90s and early 2000s where it's just too much.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

At the Kitchen in Super Mario Galaxy. Did four of the Beach Bowl stars, did one of Ghostly, now focusing on the main three of Ghostly before proceeding. At 32 stars.

EDIT: 34 now, Cosmic Honeyhive and Very Spooky Sprint.

I don't mind the Prankster Comets like some people, I dig optional challenge modes that aren't absurd, but I'm really minding the lack of proper camera control due to a lack of second stick thanks to the Wiimote being necessary, and the waggle (specifically the shaking) making my stimming get in the way of the game, which is lowkey a bit of a really bad oversight by Nintendo because it makes playing the game uncomfortable because I'm suppressing my stimming.

The imprecise motion controls are also an issue at times, Sling Pod Galaxy was awful for it. Rolling Green was also annoying, but the short length made up for it. Loopdeeloop was an absurd concept due to it being perfectly manageable with the Nunchuck, as Nitro Rad, I believe, mentioned in his review, but I could manage it a bit better than with a stick.

Meanwhile, not exactly motion controls themselves, but the fact you were relying on them for the entirety of A Very Spooky Sprint along with the giant bouncy meat (oh my) and floating space mines getting in the way, and the fact you lost lives to restart at the race's starting point when you didn't make it, made the mission feel very bad too.

It felt terrible when I lost VSS because I was stimming real bad due to losing control of my nerves and anxiety when me and the Boo (who is very adorable by the way, cute helmet) were both nearing the end and I just kept spinning by accident because blaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh. Got it the time after though.

Maybe I'm spoiled by Mario Odyssey's 10 coin reduction at death but I've had to restart from savefile a few times because I only had 1 life remaining (which means 2 lives, I was on my second to last, 0 counts).
Image Image
Alice

Post by Alice »

Replaying Danganronpa again. I was going to see if you could max out all relationships (and thus get all skills and skill point increases) on a single playthrough. Turns out that's actually impossible. You only get three free time opportunities before the first three are killed off and you need eight free times to max those three out altogether.

Planning on replaying Ultra Despair Girls after I finish it. I'm going to attempt to get all the stickers or whatever the optional collectables were this time around. When I first played it I didn't know how well hidden they could be until I finished the first stage and didn't feel like replaying it so I didn't really try on the other stages either.

I'll most likely replay DR2 after that, though I think I'll pass on DRV3. It has better gameplay than the first two but it has a lot more unlikable characters and the entirety of the first chapter left a really sour taste in my mouth for me. They present an actually good protagonist only to take that away from you at the last moment and put you in control of a character who's even more boring and generic than Makoto or Hajime ever were, which is saying a lot since both of them are pretty freaking boring and generic. Felt like a huge "fuck you!" towards the players who had been clamoring for a better protagonist. (Also not a huge fan of how

it's apparently completely unconnected from the first two games and presents them as in-universe fiction.

)
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

I played Ageless recently, and partway through it really crystallized itself as a game to play in a screenshare while laughing at the cheese potential, dialogue, and funky parallax effect. There's this one review about it that goes "Ageless is a passable but uninspired platformer, that copies aspects from the best, only forgetting to copy the polished and fun gameplay," and while that's certainly the case, I think a good trouppe of friends and a specific sense of humour where the dialogue noises become an injoke can make the experience something special.

Currently I'm playing Dota 2's Diretide Gamemode every day. Halloween will never end (until December 22nd I guess).
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I've started Might and Magic Merge up again (a mod for Might and Magic 8 that includes the storylines of 6 and 7 via time travel shenanigans), playing through as a Dark Elf. Currently unhappy with the reputation system - MM6 has far more extreme swings in reputation than the later games, so starting on the Enroth quests means you essentially have to finish the Enroth quests before you can do much of anything else.

I've also - against my better judgment - started Final Fantasy Tactics A2 up again. I just have a mental block against playing through Disgaea for some reason (Disgaea DS is currently at the start of Chapter 4).
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat Super Mario Galaxy with 61 stars. Banger game, but the disorienting physics, imprecise controls and lack of proper camera control kind of made some parts a bit annoying. Will get the remaining stars later on. Started Super Mario Sunshine again, at 5 shines. Had enough when I yeeted to the bottom of Bianco Hills during the second Petey battle, started laughing my ass off. Compared to playing on an emulator, I like the analog control a stick gives me.

Might continue FF1.
Image Image
Nast

Post by Nast »

Replayed a bit of Spark the Electric Jester today. I think it left a bad taste when I first played it last year, but it's more fun than I usually give it credit for. It's got some pretty fun level mechanics and powerups (I tend to prefer the ones that enhance your mobility), a good sense of speed and large multi-tiered levels, not to mention an absolutely phenomenal soundtrack. Still, most levels go on for too long and there's not enough going on in them to justify the length. Sometimes you'll have big empty stretches of level with no enemies or obstacles, where nothing happens, and I just zone out. Also there's a serious lack of polish overall, with glitches that range from 'music stops looping when you pause' to 'inexplicably lose one of your powers when you respawn in a boss fight'.

Also wrapped up the challenge mode in God of War II. Don't really recommend it - all the challenges boil down to 'fight a bunch of dudes but fulfill X condition', and they're wildly inconsistent in difficulty. I don't know why the very second challenge is the hardest one by far.

Tomorrow I'm starting Baba Is You so I'll finally have nice things to say about a video game instead of being a negative nancy all the time jeez!
Alice

Post by Alice »

Finished chapter 4 of my replay of Danganronpa. It's easily one of the best chapters in the entire game but I forgot how short it is compared to the others. In the same length of play session I managed to go from the start of chapter 4 all the way up to the beginning of chapter 5's investigation.

Although now I'm not sure if I should replay Ultra Despair Girls afterward or DR2 then UDG. Ultra Despair Girls was actually surprisingly good but it's more of an action game without the investigation and class trial elements that make the franchise so interesting. Though its story and characters are still interesting.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

In keeping the theme of Jonathan Blow games, I've put a few hours into The Witness, and it's pretty damn fun! It teaches you how to play 100% intuitively and has some really clever puzzles all based around a very simple mechanic.
Nast

Post by Nast »

Been playing Baba Is You here and there. Just cleared the Lake area, and I'm already in love. I streamed it for a friend and we worked together to solve some of the more tricky puzzles and had a great ol' time. I fully expect the later levels to completely wreck my brain, but I'm looking forward to it.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Started Kingdom Hearts Final Mix yesterday for the fourth time, possibly the third time I'm beating it? Just finished Phil Cup, Traverse Town and Agrabah for today, and started Hundred Acre Wood. Also at Sunken Shrine in Final Fantasy.
Image Image
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

Just beat Fe, a pretty beautiful stealthy 3d platformer. The downside of having to get an Origin account was definitely worth the playthrough. The atmosphere and huge creatures are incredible, and I especially love the shmoovement potential when you get the glide.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Finished off The Witness. Took about 21 hours in the end. Last night I got really stumped by a puzzle and spent all night thinking about it, and upon reattempting it this morning I managed to solve it in a few minutes.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Finished up most of the Untitled Goose Game postgame co-op with my friend. It was fun. All that's left are the

time attacks

, then we're done.

Started playing Outer Wilds recently. It's actually a lot of fun, just being able to poke around stuff to see where things lead. Unfortunately, because it's a space game, I can't play it all that often because I will otherwise fail to fall asleep (and I struggle to get work done when I haven't had enough sleep). Makes it unfortunate.

I might start something new tonight or this week to just keep moving along and make Outer Wilds a weekend game, but I'm not sure what game to start playing at this point. Starlink I could restart, but it's also a space game. Talked to a friend, he suggested either Shinsekai or Bioshock. The latter might be more appealing at this point, and could be done over the week.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I'm up to Pearls in the Deep on Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift. This mission is the main reason why I'm not playing this one constantly. At least with Advance the totema missions were fair. This mission is just... stupid.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

been reading steins;gate zero... it's aight. i understand what it's going for but the plot just seems like a mishmash of different plot threads that get picked up or dropped at random and it doesn't really feel like it's building to any point or big climax. i assume there are multiple endings & stuff but i'm not fully sure how it works in this one yet, i haven't seen an ending yet either so
i've honestly never played a video game in my life