(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Nast

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Nast »

Beat Vectorman the other day, in the medium difficulty, whatever it's called (too lazy to check right now). While I was kinda into it on the first few levels, I was ready for it to end about 3 levels before the final boss. It got pretty repetitive towards the end. Also the final boss itself is hot garbo. It's not a bad game, it's kinda fun, but I don't know how eager I am to replay it anytime soon.

Also finished Doraemon 3 today, and I regret to inform that it, just like the other two games, is also just ok
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Gave Super Mario Bros. 35 a shot and actually won a round on my first night. I'd imagine it'd be even more hectic if I had unlocked more stages beforehand, but it was fun going in fresh and recording a winning run about a half hour after I started. Guess that's going in the same camp as Fall Guys as a game I've technically beat that you can't really beat since it's just an online competition deal.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

I'm on the final boss in Oath in Felghana, but I'm going to take another break because it's so hard. I'll beat this game eventually, but not today.

I have started playing Holy Umbrella for the SNES. It wasn't released outside of Japan, but there's a solid translation patch. It's a silly, colourful action-platformer rpg a little similar to Popful Mail I suppose. You're a boy in the real world who finds an umbrella, gets transported to a fantasy world, and has to use the umbrella to beat the evil Emperor Dondera. Wackiness ensues. A bit on the easy side, but that's exactly the change of pace I was looking for as a followup to YUMP 2 and Oath in Felghana.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Bean wrote: 3 years ago Gave Super Mario Bros. 35 a shot and actually won a round on my first night. I'd imagine it'd be even more hectic if I had unlocked more stages beforehand, but it was fun going in fresh and recording a winning run about a half hour after I started. Guess that's going in the same camp as Fall Guys as a game I've technically beat that you can't really beat since it's just an online competition deal.
I played a bit of SM35 too and this was how my second ever round ended:
https://twitter.com/Ashanmaril/status/1 ... 4576544769

I don't know if it changes as you go up in levels but it seemed like the rounds were like everyone getting pegged off in the first minute and then the top 8 players slowly fall off one by one for like 10 minutes
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

I've reached Poni Island in Pokemon Moon. Is it just me, or is Guzma's Golisopod super strong? He's 3 for 3 on giving me a hard time - my Pikachu couldn't withstand First Impression even with Eviolite, and my Gyarados only fights it to a draw. I've had to rely on burning my Salazzle early on with Toxic (he won't use First Impression against her so I at least get to do something) and then stalling out with my Gyarados.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Started Ys I on the PC-88 back in the 5th. Only played for a few minutes on the first day, then grinded a bit, fought Jenocres and went through the first two Solomon Shrine basement floors afterwards. In the 7th and the wee hours of the 8th, I went through the rest of the Solomon Shrine, fought Nygtilger, went through the Abandoned Mine, fought Vagullion, got the Silver Equipment, gave back the Silver Harmonica to Reah and I died right before fighting Pictimos when getting the Silver Shield back. So I'm leaving Darm Tower for tomorrow

:ehh:
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Ashan wrote: 3 years agoI don't know if it changes as you go up in levels but it seemed like the rounds were like everyone getting pegged off in the first minute and then the top 8 players slowly fall off one by one for like 10 minutes
In the games I was playing the other night, it seemed like there would always be 2-3 people that fell to the first Goomba. Obviously, the harder levels you get, the more trouble will be there on screen. I think Lakitu is by far the worst once they start showing up in groups because they can overload the screen fast. Nothing comes close to that, and if you or the other person has a POW block or Star, it's going to get nuts.

I guess I decided to go for the platinum in Streets of Rage 4 because I've done all the solo runs and only have a few goals left now that involve hard mode or my overall score.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat Ys: Ancient Ys Vanished Omen. It was a ton of fun but then Darm Tower came in all hard and dry like a one night stand with a queer trucker and I'm not just talking about the sex. The enemies just piled on you and tossed you around like my dog tosses his stuffed toys it's like Boo! Also Pictimos, Khonsclard and Yogleks + Omulgun are fucking dumb when you're running at like extremely choppy movements with 48 KB of VRAM (for Pict and YogOmu) or the ability to only move in the four main cardinal directions with unpredictable patterns (for Khons). At least Dark Fact was cool.

Man.

Shows how much we take for granted with the remakes.
It's not bad it's just. Yowza

Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I'm in Vast Poni Canyon in Pokemon Moon (just past Murkrow Bridge). Either I've been playing wrong this whole time or Poni Island is a major step up in difficulty, as I'm consistently higher than trainer levels and still having trouble winning cleanly. Please note that these are not mutually exclusive.

I've also picked up the original Final Fantasy Tactics. I hope I can beat it, at least.

On the PC side of things, restartitis has struck me again - I'll be starting up Baldur's Gate again, with the intent of making a Fighter/Thief that specializes in piercing through illusions. I'm not sure if I want to do my standard dual-class shenanigans (which will let me get grandmastery in a weapon at the cost of one-or-the-other class's progression) or if I want to go with a straight-up multiclass (worse weapon skills but both classes progress through to the end)
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Beat Ys VI. I had a great time with it! The music was pretty great, the gameplay was nice, though Origin would improve the magic system. The game felt like a pretty decent difficulty on Normal, though being able to use recovery items during boss fights definitely did help make it feel easier :D
I didn't fight Majunun because G R I N D I N G. And I don't really like to do superbosses anyway. Especially Digital Devil Saga Demi-Fiend style superbosses where victory is pure luck. Not that Majunun is anywhere near that but still. Superboss. Onto Ys SEVEN which I played a little. It's very obvious it was a PSP game lol and the PC version is a very straight port of it. I'm not a huge fan of the art style tbh. Then after SEVEN, a break from Ys. also because I don't own ys viii
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Finished up Jedi Fallen Order. Overall good experience! I was impressed with the relatively small amount of hand holding from a AAA game considering how rare that is. Story was bland at best and a bit silly at times, but what can you expect from a franchise that's been milked as hard as Star Wars? It especially suffers from the classic prequel issue where they're trying to accomplish something that would completely change the point of later things that happen (in this case, the first Star Wars movie) so obviously it's not gonna turn out as planned. And also in the last like 10% of the game they introduce this character that stands out as the one bad voice actor in the game, and also she joins your crew but contributes basically nothing to your mission even though she has insane magic powers that would probably benefit your party greatly and it makes you wonder why she's there at all. And they had to hamfist in Star Wars Character You Know™ literally right at the end for no reason other than fanservice.

But I'm doing a lot of complaining -- it's a good game. Solid mechanics, platforming is fun, puzzles make you think occasionally, and fights are a pretty good Souls clone. It actually feels more like Sekiro than anything else, which is interesting because it didn't come out THAT long after Sekiro, not enough time for me to think they could overhaul the fight mechanics to copy it, anyway. Would recommend!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Played a bit of Suikoden yesterday. Forced myself awake to try and finish the Milich arc, but I was too tired and I was basically hurting myself over bragging rights (beating a ton of games in one year).

Recruited Gon, Fu Su Lu, Lorelai, Apple, Hellion, Gen, Kamandol, Kimberly and Tesla. Fu Su Lu (replace the lu with ya and you get FuSoYa, fun fact) is already part of my main party for strength and cuteness <3. Gonna skip going out of my way to recruit ones like Lotte and Jabba because I don't wanna grind in Suikoden lol

Did the war on Garan, and failed the war on Scarletitia Castle (one of those no-win scenarios you see in RPGs). Upgraded the boat on Rikon to get past the Dunan rapids and upgraded a few weapons a bit with the Potch I had. Heading to Soniere Prison for today.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Gameplay journal, early afternoon edition!

Went through Soniere Prison in Suikoden and

recruited Milich out of feeling sad for him for simply following Barbarossa and Windy's orders and being manipulated into engineering the man-eating spores that, tragically, killed Gremio

. I then had to face off against

Teo

after Stallion warned the army. Sadly,

Pahn

stayed behind to stall him after a

failed war (no-win scenario)

and

I didn't train him or equip him well enough beforehand because I forgot and I didn't have a chance after recruiting Milich. He died

I'm thinking of only going for the 108 stars I can easily get, the dream for the true ending

and bringing Gremio back to the world of the living

died along with my

killing of Kwanda that I didn't know was avoidable

To take a small break, I also started Dragon Quest for the second time this year. Famicom version this time. So far I'm at Kol/Maira. Level 6 at the time of death and my equipment is Leather Clothes/Leather Shield/Copper Sword. Gonna grind a bit more and get some better equipment before heading to Rimuldar for Magic Keys. Gonna use savestates instead of passwords, bless the Spell of Restoration, I'm just too lazy for passwords.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Boy howdy 🤠

Today was a somewhat eventful day, but sadly I didn't really do much progress... I was feeling a bit fatigued from Suikoden's length (though it's actually one of the shorter on the PlayStation, I've just been taking forever in the game haha), so I decided to play something else.

Both of the games I played today had their versions hail from the NEC PC-88, much like Ys, which I beat a few days ago. We have Final Crisis: Terrestrial Defense Police by Group R204, published by Techno Grard. And Dragon Slayer II: Xanadu, published and developed by Nihon Falcom.

First off was Final Crisis. A sublime shmup with smooth animation on the ship and fluid speed. Challenge level wasn't too high but I only made it to stage 2: Plant, before quitting. The options flanking the ship on top and underneath reminded me of Zero Wing (a game I really don't care about, memes or not) but thankfully it plays much better. One of the hidden gems in the J-PC sphere.

Xanadu was a Computer RPG by Nihon Falcom that helped inspire a lot of early JRPGs. Its gameplay opens in a village where you train your stats, then you head to the underground, solve the Copy Protection puzzle (iirc head to the bottom, turn left until the ladder is offscreen then turn right. Rightwards is an item store and leftwards is the entrance of the first area), and then it's off to Level 1 you go.

You basically do what you'd do in any RPG, walk around killing enemies and gathering experience and money. You can buy weapons and armor, but guides advise to save money for food, healing and keys to explore the towers, which are the game's main dungeons, as enemies are limited. Leveling up is used by storing experience in Temples, but you have to be careful about Karma, else Temples won't accept you.

A good starting set of stats is roughly, 80 Strength, 100 Charisma (for low prices) and the rest can just be 10 or 20. So far I couldn't find where to buy keys but if a picture of the Saturn version I saw was right, it seems to be the guild. I guess keysmith wouldn't fit on the sign (game is in English) and "key" was too obvious.
Image Image
admacXx2
freelance duck
First name: Adam

Post by admacXx2 »

Animal Crossing, Team Fortress 2, trying to get back into SMW hacks again, various Visual Novels.

It's hard for me to stick with a single game these days. I can hardly play a game to completion anymore before wanting to start something new, haha
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Beat Pokémon Moon today. This is what a Pokémon game should feel like.

For the first time in a long time the plot-mandated-legendary didn't feel forced - I compare how Moon does this favorably to Pokémon Emerald, and I adore how Emerald version does this. It says a lot about how I feel on this issue that in both Emerald and Sun/Moon, the PML is not required for the boss fight at the end of the Criminal Gang Subplot.

Between Mega Evolution and Z-Moves, I think I prefer Z-Moves; they're definitely easier to deal with in Single-Player (losing to a Mega Evolved 'mon when you have a defensive advantage just feels bad, while taking a Z-Move on the nose is far more recoverable).

While I have a few problems with Pokémon Moon, they're mostly minor. The only real problem I have with Moon is that, once again, the HP Bar is (will be? I played with Animations on for once) the slowest part of battle. BW did this right, why did Game Freak move away from that?

I'm actually looking forward to running through Ultra Sun, now that I know I enjoy the Alola storyline. Though I may hold off on doing so until after getting my 3ds fixed (the on-board speakers don't work due to rain damage from February)
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

raekuul wrote: Beat Pokémon Moon today. This is what a Pokémon game should feel like.
Moon's also one of my favourite mainline pokemon games. Glad you enjoyed it as well! The more personal story was a nice de-escalation after constant armageddon, too, I find.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Got through FNV: Honest Hearts this weekend. I'm...unimpressed by it. I'm grateful it was short, but it just meandered a lot. For a man who is supposed to be this big lore figure, Joshua was kind of uninteresting as a character. Also, the weaponry was kind of unsatisfying. The only real benefit seemed to be being able to sell this stuff later.

(From what I understand, this particular DLC was rushed, but still)

I did like Randall Clark/

The Father of the Caves'

story though. That was quite interesting, having this weird contrast of

this god-like figure turn out to be this broken man who suffered tragedy thrice over was too afraid to kill himself, only to die of illness in old age

Anyway, time to muck around in Legion land and finish off a few additional quests before going to Old World Blues.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Nast

Post by Nast »

I've been meaning to start up God of War II but I first want to find a good set-up for this CRT TV I borrowed so I can play it there. These old consoles look so much better on a CRT than when they're badly upscaled to an HDTV. Doesn't help that I can't afford fancy upscalers or that I'm stuck with composite video cables. In the meantime I got the itch to play some picross so I've been going through Mario's Super Picross on SNES.

Also finished Doraemon 4 recently and well, it's bad. The other ones were at least ok but this one is just bad. If you ever get the urge to marathon the Doraemon games on SNES, as we are all wont to do, just pretend it ends at 3
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Finished off the platinum in Streets of Rage 4 this morning. Fun time overall. The grind to the overall score goal was the only thing that was kind of tiring, but I just started S-Ranking stages on the toughest difficulty to take care of that.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

So I've been meandering with Fallout New Vegas the last few days, seeing how far I can go before I hit points of no return for each factional path. I think I've reached that point, and will move on to Old World Blues starting tonight.

I also need to play out Arcade's companion quest, since apparently the Enclave play a role in the final act if you get that far?

I think, for endgame, I will, instead of doing what I was going to do,

i.e. Dave Foley Yes Man all the way,

, play out all the end paths. One of them is essentially a couple rounds of dialogue away from final quest (well, maybe that and a quest), the others are not as close.
I will probably do Mr. House first, since every other path wants him dead at some point. Then Caesar, which will probably take longest because there's like 2 or 3 quests before final act. Then NCR, since that's mostly done. Then, Yes Man.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Sorry for not making a diary these past few days. Either I've been grinding or I haven't played at all.

So Suikoden. Grinded a bit to upgrade everyone's gear at Antei and also equipped Qlon along the way, yesterday. Hataiate (Head Gears) and Guard Rings on everyone. Still need to buy Shinobi Clothes (Ninja Suit) for everyone, I think I have it for Flik and Viktor?

Secondly. I've started Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes, PC-98 version (I couldn't read some of the kanji in the PC-88 version due to the tiny font). This is a game I've wanted to start for a while and like, it started out kind of cute (young prince Selios goes out to beat up monsters instead of study), but then it started so by the numbers it was kind of silly, his town of El'Asta gets attacked, he escapes to Rudia where the king, Akdam, boldly proclaims he killed his dad, the former king As'El of Rudia, and caused the attack on El'Asta. And now he's going to take over the world or whatever and like imprisons Selios, then he gets set free and joins the resistance to take down Akdam. Not many games can make the claim that they have you walk into a "I killed your dad" speech at the very prologue.

Yesterday I played through a bit of it, went through the prologue, and a linear cave with stationary Owl enemies that combined, raised Selios to Lv4, recruited Lunan, then I was hit with a mandatory EXP gate to Lv8 before Aron (Ryas' brother, Ryas being Selios' tutor, elderly mentor and caretaker), leader of the resistence and his granddaughter Sonia would tell me where to go next, which was freeing the injured miners at the Velga Mine. Suffice to say, I only grinded to Lv7 because the grind was just too much to stomach with such low exp gains and no "x points until next level up" counter, from what I could find. Managed to get Row (Low?), a wandering freeloader who mocks you for being weak until you reach Level 6 at which point you can recruit him, though.

Today, I finished the grind and got the mission. Headed to Velga, spoke to Pete and went off to beat up the commander, first few attempts went dreadful, due to him using Siles on my party and himself, and my Res Leaves not being enough for the battle (400HP when the max for the more reasonable enemies was 60), I didn't notice the first page of the inventory was filled with items from the start of the game. Even then I just Flam 3'd his ass with Row and used Res Leaves when I had <=50 HP on any character. Anyway, I freed the miners, recruited Gale, who they confused with The Other Gale, the great thief Gale, and there was a silly scene where Row made fun of the guy and Gale just kept getting mad. Stormed Rudia the morning after, slayed some soldiers and a commander (much easier with Gale's equipment and higher level). Akdam then ran away by boat. Chapter 1 clear, as we take back the throne.

After freeing Felicia, Selios' mom, and getting the Tear of Gilmore from her, I raided the basement storage and headed to Nelia Harbor. Bought a ship, fell asleep at the inn, saw my Gold being drained, which lead to a cutscene where most of the party suspects Gale again, and we sailed off to Rondo Harbor the next morning. Currently grinding for some Chain Mail after buying some Iron Spears, both costing 1000. I mostly just have to buy Chain Mail for Selios since, for Gale, I can just get the Chain Mail found at the nearby Bloodshed Cavern, according to a spoiler-free flowchart-ish walkthrough I'm using from http://asurafantasy.sakura.ne.jp/ of the Super Famicom version. Gotta get this done at a reasonable pace!
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Been playing Paradise Killer. It's something similar to Danganronpa but more open world and with a weirder theme. (The society in question is some weird society which kidnaps people from the real world to try and revive their apparently Lovecraftian gods.)

It has some annoying issues though. It has a fast travel system. You have to pay to unlock it but then you have to pay to use it as well. This is kinda annoying because 1 blood crystal is a decent amount in a game where even hitting 10 of them at any given point in time (which is necessary for a required upgrade) is actually a bit of a challenge. On top of that it seems like blood crystals are limited in quantity (unless they just spawn randomly, the game doesn't actually mention anything to suggest that though) which means you could potentially fail the game from too much fast traveling and running out of money to buy necessary upgrades.

The other big annoying issue is that the platforming sucks but you need to platform to explore and find money and clues. You have zero air control. And some of the things you have to do to get places where things are hidden makes this detail very frustrating. Like this one where you have to ride an elevator up like 10 stories then jump down and land on top of the elevator entrance. But there's no convenient angle for this and if you're off even slightly you'll just go careening off in one direction or another. And when you unlock double jump, that doesn't actually help. As soon as you leave the ground you lose all air control. So your second jump is literally only useful to extend your first jump and nothing else at all.

Past that, though, I like how much more open ended the game is when it comes to investigating. There's a lot of different evidence you can find, you have to go around and interview witnesses and potential suspects, and you can start the trial at any point in time and accuse whoever you want. (I can't speak for the trial itself yet, however, since I'm nowhere near close to having enough evidence to accuse anyone with any real certainty. I have two suspects that have some damning evidence against them but it's not damning enough for me to say I'm certain it was them. In fact some of what I've found suggests they were just really unlucky.)
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Alice wrote: 3 years agoIt has some annoying issues though. It has a fast travel system. You have to pay to unlock it but then you have to pay to use it as well. This is kinda annoying because 1 blood crystal is a decent amount in a game where even hitting 10 of them at any given point in time (which is necessary for a required upgrade) is actually a bit of a challenge. On top of that it seems like blood crystals are limited in quantity (unless they just spawn randomly, the game doesn't actually mention anything to suggest that though) which means you could potentially fail the game from too much fast traveling and running out of money to buy necessary upgrades.
My friend wrote a review of this game, and this was a concern he raised in it. Small spoilers for that follow, that may give you some context to calibrate your expectations by:
UndeadScobie wrote:There's a lot of wandering back and forth across the island talking to people to get clues that you then have to use to get other clues from someone else a minute's walk away. There's a fast-travel system in the game but it takes the game's currency to use. There's a limited amount of this currency available in the world. You don't know how much of it there is or how much you'll need, so you run the risk of locking yourself out of other stuff if you overuse the fast travel. Consequently I never used it. By the end it became clear there was enough money available to fast travel fifty times and still buy everything else, but I had no way of knowing that till I'd basically finished the game.
(emphasis added)
It's obviously still a design problem but nice to know.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 3 years agoMy friend wrote a review of this game, and this was a concern he raised in it. Small spoilers for that follow, that may give you some context to calibrate your expectations by:
UndeadScobie wrote:There's a lot of wandering back and forth across the island talking to people to get clues that you then have to use to get other clues from someone else a minute's walk away. There's a fast-travel system in the game but it takes the game's currency to use. There's a limited amount of this currency available in the world. You don't know how much of it there is or how much you'll need, so you run the risk of locking yourself out of other stuff if you overuse the fast travel. Consequently I never used it. By the end it became clear there was enough money available to fast travel fifty times and still buy everything else, but I had no way of knowing that till I'd basically finished the game.
(emphasis added)
It's obviously still a design problem but nice to know.
Well that's good to know. Though I think I'm at the point where it no longer really matters anyways. To my knowledge I have everything of worth that you can buy now (

all the glyph modules for Starlight, double jump, air dash, the meditate ability, and I've purchased all the information Crimson Acid sells

) with maybe the exception of one or two save stations that I've either missed on my travels or didn't have the money at hand to unlock fast travel when I first reached it and haven't been back yet. Everything left that I'm aware of is the blood sacrifice stations and vending machines after you get the item you get from one of them and those don't really serve much purpose 90% of the time. A few add some background lore but most of the relics you obtain from it don't even do that.

I'm not sure why they made using fast travel cost you in the first place though. I can understand making it cost to unlock fast travel at each save point. That's perfectly fine. But even if there's more than enough money to go around, having limited money in the game world is always going to incentivize players to avoid using fast travel.