(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by raekuul »

bleh, putting ff7 back on the back burner since popstarter doesn't play nice with the battle kernel. hopefully ff8 and ff9 are more playable.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Finished off Mario 64 120 stars. Final comment is that Tick Tock Clock kinda sucks, that is all
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i started ratchet & clank size matters but it turns out it's not very good and i'm not having a ton of fun

so i started doing KH2 randomizer runs, which are very fun
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

oh uh i got through the third area in Popful Mail and I've started icy isle from segasonic the hedgehog but man

gear prices are like 3000/2400/2400 x 3 characters and im like "and i oop". gonna look up easy gold farming places, the one in the mines is Die
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Started Mario Galaxy in 3D All Stars. I was curious about how they'd handle motion controls, I figured they'd rework the game to rely on it less but it turns out they actually just made it so you control the Wii remote pointer by kind of pointing with the controller, and you can re-center it at any time with R. And once I started playing a little more, it reminded me about how much of that is really core to the game, and a rework would be almost making it not Mario Galaxy in a way. Playing with a Switch controller is a little more awkward than the Wii remote, but it actually ended up being surprisingly easy to use once I got used to it. That said, I think they could have at least made it so you control the menus with the joy stick, I don't know why I need to waggle my controller around just to save the game or select a course.

If you go into handheld mode you have to use the touch screen to control the cursor which is interesting. I've only been playing docked so I don't know too much about how that changes things. But it also makes me think this awkwardness of trying to translate Wii controls to a touchscreen is why Mario Galaxy 2 didn't make it into the collection. There was a lot more precise pointer stuff in that game, specifically with controlling Yoshi's tongue. There's lots of action segments where you're doing platforming while also having to point and click on things at the same time, which could maybe work with the motion controls in docked mode, but wouldn't be possible on a touchscreen without an extra thumb.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Beat Dragon Quest VIII earlier this week. Played through Streets of Rage 4 with my brother tonight. Both were pretty fun games for different reasons!
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I'm coming up on my second grand trial in Pokemon Moon. Since I have to go through a Diglett's Cave I'm expecting either Electric or Steel type. Probably Electric since Grass has a defensive advantage over Electric and would fit the pattern of the island.

I've also started Neverwinter Nights over again... and again... and again... I swear, I've rolled four characters in three days trying to figure out the "perfect start." Currently on a fighter with INT as the high supplement stat (for lots and lots of skill points). It does not help that the The Wailing Death campaign is heavily biased towards being crowd-capable in the early game - which limits which character classes are viable (since it's 3rd edition D&D rules, Fighters are crowd-capable via the Cleave and Great Cleave feats).
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat Popful Mail (SCD). Japanese version. I booted it up expecting a good game and I ended up getting an overlooked masterpiece. How this game isn't acknowledged more often as one of the best Mega Drive titles by the casual crowd is a damn shame, probably the American version's difficulty alteration is to blame.

It plays like a dream, similar to the Wonder Boy games. The original and PC Engine CD versions' gameplay seems to have been a strange mix of bump combat with side scrolling jumping on enemies action? So this might have been a change for the better. The Super Famicom rendition goes for a more Ys III type gameplay. Mail is the fastest but the shortest jumper, Tatt (or Tatto as the HUD likes to call him) is balanced in terms of speed and jump height, and Gaw is both the slowest and the highest jumper. In the end, I mostly used whichever was the strongest, which was usually either Gaw or Mail. Gaw's jump height was the only really tangible difference after all. My one complaint is that the jumps feel a bit too loose, and the character is always further to the left and right when at full speed, which is a problem when trying to see what's ahead.

Script is pretty great for a Japanese RPG released in the early 90s, and most of it is voice acted which is a lot of effort for a game with very little characterization. The meat of the script is more on the interactions than character development. I would have appreciated a focus on Matelial/Material/Muttonhead and Nuts Cracker, rather than going for arc villains with no personality like in a shounen manga but that's just Japanese youth-aimed media storytelling I Guess. I understand wanting a big gang of bad guys in cahoots to resurrect ancient evils, but in a 7 to 10 hour game, it's kind of hard to give them all equal exposure.

Music is excellent as well. Really liked all in-level themes but the Caves one, thought it was kind of average. Somebody Loves You is also a great little ditty, and the English cover by Jennifer Stigile is just as good. As for voice acting, it's pretty okay. Some well known seiyuus were chosen for the game like Megumi Hayashibara for Mail, doing what would later be her Lina Inverse voice. Most of them do their job pretty well if kind of stock-feeling but Tseimer/Sven and Erik/Venuncio's seiyuus got on my nerves with their laughter. Jacob/Glug also felt like his seiyuu's choice of voice kind of hindered the ability to understand him.

I can't really comment on Working Designs' script but it's not to my taste, sorry. Another home run from Falcom, and my first non-Ys Falcom game!

I urge everyone to play it at least once, again, it's not too long. Took me five days or so of like, 2 hour long sessions? If you do play the English version, please use the Unworked Design patch to tone down the difficulty back to the original.
Image Image
Nast

Post by Nast »

Started up Vectorman today. Managed to get past the first level without too much struggle, though the boss took a bit to figure out. Had to lower the difficulty to get past the second level as it completely switched genres out of the blue and was too hard for me to parse. So far it seems like a pretty uncomplicated game, but it kinda feels like it's trying to show off its technical prowess and the spectacle can get in the way of readability. Still it controls well and blowing things up is satisfying.

Beat Doraemon 2 the other day. There's some improvements here, like tighter controls, better presentation and streamlined design, that make it marginally better than the first. But I'm not a fan of the repetitive toy/carnival theme, and a lot of the levels are too big for the sake of it, with level design often devolving into "1-block platforms in the sky". Next is Doraemon 3: Nobita to Toki no Hougyoku, which is totally new to me. Surprisingly it's completely different from the previous two, taking more of a light Metroidvania approach. There's blockades which can only be cleared by certain characters, and you can only switch in the hub world for each time period, so that has the potential to get obnoxious.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

kh2 randomizer runs are just really fun. god, kh2 is such a good game
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Finished up Mario Galaxy 100%, which is the last of the 3 games from the collection. Can you tell I've had free time! Probably gonna go back and do it again as Luigi for true completion's sake.

Also I decided to actually go and sit through Rosalina's backstory since I had read it back in the day but I don't think I ever really followed what was going on and holy cow, it's even more depressing than I remembered. And kinda horrifying too!

And speaking of the story that I never really followed, I was actually paying attention during the game's ending, and it's actually kinda whacky. Are we supposed to interpret that the Galaxy the Mushroom kingdom was in was destroyed in that explosion but reborn into a new Galaxy? Did Rosalina just drop everyone off into a similar but slightly different dimension where the Mushroom Kingdom isn't destroyed a la Rick and Morty? Cause Mario says "welcome new galaxy," which makes me assume that's what happened, which has some odd implications.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Had an eventful day (in gaming) where I wasn't depressed!

Solved the Kwanda Rosman arc in Suikoden and am up to 37 Stars of Destiny. The

burning down of the Elf Village

was really sad, even if Kirkis and Sylvina's personalities are somewhat flat,

you wouldn't really be expected to be intimately familiar with everyone in your army's troubles and inner demons, especially when they're a 108 man party

The dwarves' outright racism towards elves and humans and vice versa is really harsh, but shows the utter contempt sowed by the several species' contempt for one another's differences. But,

I would have liked to see dwarves and elves being more racist towards the human party instead of just between dwarves and elves, maybe making the shopkeeps begrudgingly accepting to help you and having them charge more until you prove you're on their side. I suppose that's a lot for a 1995 PSX game but, still

. Dungeons are still rather bland and "Bravely Default-ish", but I liked the maze room in the dwarves' giant mountain vault. The Dwarven City is also rather gorgeous, the electric windmill is especially good looking.

I expected the war battles

to be closer in line of the Romancing SaGa 3 ones, as in, confusing and opaque to anyone who isn't a master. But it turns out they're quite simple and friendly. While a lot of it is using the formation with the most attack power, figuring out what's the best strategy to use still seems to be a factor in victory though

The duel battle

reminded me of both SaGa Frontier 2 and Pokémon Stadium. While in SaGa Frontier 2 you had a lot of options to experiment with and grasp new techs, Suikoden goes for a simpler Attack/Defend/Give It Your All battle system. It again, feels very easy to use and interesting to figure out, though for Kwanda you can mostly pick Attack and you'll win

Sadly I've only just discovered in the making of this post that you can

recruit Kwanda

. So oops!

Overall, yesterday and today, I've recruited Sergei, Gaspar, Antonio, Meg, Onil, Kai, Maas,

Sylvina

, Sheena, Valeria and Meese.

Ashan wrote: Did Rosalina just drop everyone off into a similar but slightly different dimension where the Mushroom Kingdom isn't destroyed a la Rick and Morty?
the difference is that luigi is blue and yellow
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Ashan wrote: 3 years agoAre we supposed to interpret that the Galaxy the Mushroom kingdom was in was destroyed in that explosion but reborn into a new Galaxy? Did Rosalina just drop everyone off into a similar but slightly different dimension where the Mushroom Kingdom isn't destroyed a la Rick and Morty? Cause Mario says "welcome new galaxy," which makes me assume that's what happened, which has some odd implications.
I was in a community when I was young that totally accepted this as canon, and that the Lumas throwing themselves into the black hole was to sacrifice their lives to birth a new universe (makes sense since we know that lumas become galaxies). Mario Galaxy 2 also begins with the Star Festival again, which only happens once every hundred years, so it can't be the same one - so SMG2 is what happens instead of Galaxy after the universe was recreated.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

I've gone through Fallout New Vegas in a very all-encompassing pace. At Level 31, and I just got access opened to The Strip. I've cleared most if not all of the NCR quests pre-Strip, the quests of most every non-major faction, and then some. I have a lot of caps, but nothing to really spend it on (save maybe implants). I still don't get Caravan, but winning at Blackjack is more fun anyway. It's nice that the game doesn't feel like you're pushing at its walls with the levels hitting 50 in this game. I've opened up the BoS and NCR safehouses, and I think the Followers safehouse too?

Feel bad for letting the Van Graffs murder Cass

Still haven't opened the DLCs, but I'm waiting until I've dealt with Benny. I get the sense I'm...50, 60% done, including DLCs?

Also, what's a recommended order for playing the DLCs? I'm aware Lonesome Road is kind of an epilogue to the Fallout New Vegas story, but the others I don't know about.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I've completed my second island in Pokemon Moon. Also the Aether Paradise interlude between islands 2 and 3 would have worked so much better if the opening cinematics didn't include Lillie escaping from a place that looks like Aether Paradise.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Leet wrote: 3 years ago I was in a community when I was young that totally accepted this as canon, and that the Lumas throwing themselves into the black hole was to sacrifice their lives to birth a new universe (makes sense since we know that lumas become galaxies). Mario Galaxy 2 also begins with the Star Festival again, which only happens once every hundred years, so it can't be the same one - so SMG2 is what happens instead of Galaxy after the universe was recreated.
That's what I also thought regarding the lumas flying into the black hole. I didn't remember that SMG2 starts at the star festival, but I guess the only problem with that part of the theory is that the star festival only happens once every 100 years specifically because Rosalina visits the galaxy every 100 years. So unless there's also time shenanigans going on, it doesn't make sense for her to come back immediately after, right?
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Spelunky 2 dropped on Steam yesterday. The levels feel larger but I think that's more because the sections are smaller (Spelunky 1 each level is a 4x4 grid of sections, I haven't taken a close look at the overall constructions yet but it feels like Spelunky 2 has a 5x5 grid). The traps are less immediately lethal, but the creatures are far more dangerous. Also the changes to how webs work makes the web gun completely worthless. Pick it up once for the journal entry and never use it again (at least in Spelunky 1 you could use it as discount Climbing Gloves)

GOG had the Jazz Jackrabbit collection on sale today. I picked it up on the cheap and am having a blast playing through the series again. It does bother me a little that the weapons are only different in their utility - the basic infinite-ammo Blaster deals the same damage as the faster-larger Toaster, so you end up using the basic infinite-ammo Blaster for everything. Especially if you're prone to dying, since you lose all your ammo on death.

I'm finally in Chapter 2 of Neverwinter Nights: The Wailing Death with a Human Fighter 4/Rogue 4. My stream game - a pure fighter half orc - is basically on hold until I've played through the rest of the game and know what to expect. It turns out I do not enjoy streaming stuff blind.

I'm also starting a new game of Persona 4 Golden on Steam. Looking forward to seeing the differences between the original and Golden (I don't like Chie's voice in Golden, but that's because her original actress voiced her like some girls I crushed on in real-life-High-School)
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Been playing Jedi Fallen Order the past couple days. I bought it a few months ago when it was on sale for 50% off, but didn't get around to playing it until now. I've been having fun with it, it's basically an Uncharted game with Dark Souls inspired combat (and level design to some extent, in that you have meditation points that are basically bonfires and you unlock shortcuts to get around maps quicker). It controls pretty well, there's some fun obstacles and puzzles, and the voice acting is pretty impressive too.

I find it funny that you can collect lightsaber parts that just change the look of your lightsaber, there's like 5 different types of parts to swap even though it's mostly in the handle which is like 4 pixels on the screen at any given time. The only thing that makes an actual noticeable difference is the color of the saber
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i beat virtua fighter satunr as jeffry

stellar game for stellar people :)
Image Image
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Beat Ys V. It's alright and I don't think it deserves the near universal hate it apparently got on release and the hate it continues to get to this day. I liked the graphics and music, the gameplay was ok, and the plot was interesting albeit predictable (which isn't inherently bad imo) I guess it just was released at a bad time and in a series where people really care about their red-haired swordsman fighting in a particular way. And it being SNES exclusive (for a while) when its previous releases were on a bunch of Japanese PCs probably didn't help
So then I started Ys VI. I don't know if I'm just crazy, or if it's because I was just playing Ys V and that's messing with me or what, but Adol feels somewhat sluggish compared to Oath and Origin. I don't particularly like how magic is implemented and now realize that the magic mechanics in Oath and Origin are a definite improvement to Napishtim's magic mechanics.
Also played some Slayers on the SNES. I was initially planning on powering through it after I finished Ys SEVEN but it's a lot longer than I thought so I think I'll just play it intermittently, it's a mediocre Dragon Quest clone where its only redeeming factor is that it's a Slayers game. Maybe its plot gets really good or something, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Ashan wrote: 3 years ago Been playing Jedi Fallen Order the past couple days. I bought it a few months ago when it was on sale for 50% off, but didn't get around to playing it until now. I've been having fun with it, it's basically an Uncharted game with Dark Souls inspired combat (and level design to some extent, in that you have meditation points that are basically bonfires and you unlock shortcuts to get around maps quicker). It controls pretty well, there's some fun obstacles and puzzles, and the voice acting is pretty impressive too.

I find it funny that you can collect lightsaber parts that just change the look of your lightsaber, there's like 5 different types of parts to swap even though it's mostly in the handle which is like 4 pixels on the screen at any given time. The only thing that makes an actual noticeable difference is the color of the saber
Is it true that it has some Metroidvania vibes going for it? I've heard that elsewhere.

Cleared the Dead Money DLC in Fallout New Vegas. It was a lot harder than I anticipated, even at my level (started in the low 30s). I think having such an emphasis on creatures that can only be killed by severing their limbs was very counterintuitive to my character's combat build, which is entirely gun based. But I see the merits of it. And I liked the challenge of trying to stay alive through the Cloud. Still, my high Luck meant I could clean out the Casino and I can now afford to buy a few GRA-grade speacial weapons because of all the Pre-War Money I have (

Also squirreled away as many gold bars as I could carry from the Sierra Madre Vault

).

Plus I liked the story. It's an interesting parable on being able to give up on things, to move on from the past, perhaps a broader metaphor for forgiveness. Something that's lost these days. It was also good at being intertextual, setting up some of the later DLCs. I just wished that it was a little clearer

that you had to placate Dean's ego to not kill him

and

they added some explicit connection to Christine and Veronica, since it's heavily implied Christine was Veronica's lover before Elijah split them up

. The writing was exceptionally solid with this.

Anyway, general plan from this point: Casino quests, Honest Hearts, NCR/Legion shenanigans, Old World Blues, endgame, Lonesome Road.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I've reached Po Town in Pokemon Moon. This is gonna be interesting. (Pikachu/Gyarados/Salazzle/Dugtrio/Gumshoos/Decidueye)

Spelunky 2 continues to fascinate me. I've decided that I'm better at the Volcano branch than at the Jungle branch. The 2nd shortcut is completely worthless to me since I get forced into the Empress's Domain doing that, but I need to go through there to get the next shortcut ready.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Oh man, beat DonPachi on the Saturn.

I had to use a large amount of continues, bombs and easy mode as I was unfamiliar with the latter half of the game (Stage 4&5, latter half of 3). Also used the green helicopter. It felt faster than the blue fighter? Not sure if that was just me.

Pretty eh game, not as good as the later DoDonPachi entries (except for maybe DDPII? never played it but people say it's subpar as it's not by CAVE) or its spiritual predecessors, Batsugun and Recca.

I'll just say that
me on discord wrote:people who are like "people who play touhou on easy are scrubs" shoudl play some cave shit
before having the gall to criticize people for wanting to have an easier time
HatKid wrote:Beat Ys V. It's alright and I don't think it deserves the near universal hate it apparently got on release and the hate it continues to get to this day. I liked the graphics and music, the gameplay was ok, and the plot was interesting albeit predictable (which isn't inherently bad imo) I guess it just was released at a bad time and in a series where people really care about their red-haired swordsman fighting in a particular way. And it being SNES exclusive (for a while) when its previous releases were on a bunch of Japanese PCs probably didn't help
I looked it up and according to ゲームカタログ@wiki, a wiki I sometimes lurk, the issue seems to be on jank controls (attacking and jumping is four cardinal directions, despite being able to walk on eight), occasional freezing, the high price for low amount of quantity (12800 yen, which is circa $127 in today's money, for 10 hours of gameplay) and a rather poorly thought out magic system (obfuscates results, most magic feels worthless apart from Avalanche Rock, levelling it is a chore).

The release of an improved Expert version with bug fixes and extra dungeons just three months later in March 96, much like the two versions of Super Puyo Puyo Tsuu, didn't help as people saw it as a complete ripoff, especially with much better titles as Tenchi Souzou/Terranigma (11800 yen) and Seiken Densetsu 3/Trials of Mana (11400 yen) released in the months prior.

Aside from me yeeting myself between two barrels and softlocking myself with the jump at the very start of the game, I didn't really have an issue with any of these and didn't encounter freezing. oh well
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago Is it true that it has some Metroidvania vibes going for it? I've heard that elsewhere.
I suppose you could look at it that way, yeah, there has been a fair amount of going back to earlier areas with new abilities to gain access to new paths in those areas. But the game does have a persistent marker on the map telling you where to go next which you may consider to defeat some of the typical metroidvania exploration. But the marker only shows you the exact point to go to, not how to get there
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago Ys V stuff
and
Aside from me yeeting myself between two barrels and softlocking myself with the jump at the very start of the game, I didn't really have an issue with any of these and didn't encounter freezing. oh well
I see, thanks for the information. I hadn't even thought about price. I didn't really care for the magic system. I leveled Adol's magic a few times but I pretty much just ignored it. I knew about the Expert version but I didn't realize just how soon after it was released. I suppose at that point, the damage had been done in the eyes of the fans.

Lol. That sounds like something I'd do. I didn't encounter any freezing either but I did run into some odd graphical bugs that I'm fairly certain were because of the translation patch.

My brother and I played a Co-Op campaign in Left 4 Dead 2 last night (among other things) and I didn't realize there was a super big update released for it that added a ton of stuff that was unsurprisingly community-made. It's super weird to me that this happened at all, but I suppose it wouldn't be the first time community content was added to L4D2 in an official update. Also, 100 achievements for the game now. Dang. I would never get all of them because lol multiplayer achievements anyway.