(shouting)

YUMP2 - Marginal Consciousness

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: YUMP2 - Allegretto

Post by Crow »

take: celeste sometimes did not have enough checkpoints

not often but there are places that probably could've used checkpoints that didn't have them

like the last room of chapter 9 lol

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

nu uh narratively the last room of chapter 9 was perfect. i mean sure it took me 90 minutes to beat but the clear is only like 2 minutes or something right whatever it's fine dw about it

"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I'm shocked you can on a whim think to use the glitch where you get killed on a Yoshi with a key in its mouth to land on a keyhole and complete the level, but you don't know how spinjumping on a Yoshi works
Valentine
[b]the[/b]
Pronouns: she/her
https://valentine.talkhaus.com/

Post by Valentine »

like the last room of chapter 9 lol

re: celeste chapter 9 spoilers

this take is inviting me to say unkind things to you, and this disclaimer is my best attempt to stop myself from doing as such
the clear time is 2 minutes and 45 minutes btw, and the last 45 seconds are basically free, which is smart in a different way which could actually be related to kaizo level design

:trans_pride:
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

AUS wrote: 3 years agothe worst take ive ever seen in my life was that celeste had too many checkpoints, so im gonna take the hard pivot far opposite side opinion checkpoint extremist here and say savescumming is the truest form of gaming
People actually say that?? If anything I'd say there's some spots in Celeste that could really do with an extra checkpoint or two, though usually the level design doesn't allow for it in those spots because everything is interconnected.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

@ gbreeze, if someone legit said "this needs checkpoints to be good and fun even if it ruins the rewarding feel of the level also i dont even play kaizo" i would honestly Die

add me to the "raocow just let yourself savescum and stop fucking bichting in every level" pile

so far the special world levels look really fun but still outside my reach as im still a beginner in kaizo
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Crow

Post by Crow »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago"this needs checkpoints to be good and fun even if it ruins the rewarding feel of the level also i dont even play kaizo"
challenge can be rewarding and fun without requiring incessant repetition
for the record i dislike super meat boy for a lot of the same reasons but there are other reasons i dislike that game i don't feel are worth elaborating on in this thread
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

n~yoron
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

about the bowser sprite, wasn't it made by carol (brutal mario guy) and yoinked from his website server because he never actually put security on his personal sprite uploading folder meant for personal usage? does this count as "piracy" or whatever because there's almost no evidence that he intended anyone but himself to use it? like, ordinarily smwcentral doesn't let you upload stuff unless you made it or can provide proof you have permission to upload it.
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol

Post by idol »

maybe? the sprites have been out there for over a decade and carol was aware and didn't ask people not to use them.

edit: https://smwc.me/1364166

so yeah, no one cares about that.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

idol wrote: 3 years ago maybe? the sprites have been out there for over a decade and carol was aware and didn't ask people not to use them.

edit: https://smwc.me/1364166

so yeah, no one cares about that.
phew (but damn carol out here burning this hack)

also just to clear it up i'm the same guy who asked about a week ago on smwcentral's discord but didn't get much of an answer. i've already requested a name change so that people don't think i'm sockpuppeting
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Cyril wrote: 3 years agoi honestly fail to see where there's any meaningful difference. he's Doing The Things in each level, in a lot of cases plenty of times before he even puts down a save state, just that he doesn't have to Keep Doing The Things He Already Did just to get back to the part that's giving him trouble.

it's like, how a modern platformer would be designed lol
gbreeze's fantastic post on the appeal of kaizo sums it up. The process of building that muscle memory and having impossible tasks become second-nature after hours of grinding is why I both love playing and watching others play kaizo hacks. raocow is skipping over that part to show off the rest of the postgame. Well, I've already seen the postgame, so there's nothing for me to see. Again, I'm not complaining. It's absolutely the right call both for raocow and his audience, but there is a big difference.
Valentine
[b]the[/b]
https://valentine.talkhaus.com/

Re: YUMP2 - Castle

Post by Valentine »

glad that this is the level raocow finally decided to have fun on considering this is easily my least favorite level in the game
:trans_pride:
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

wow!!!! i really liked the feel of this video
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I'm noticing that there seems to be a slight trend with the postgame having simple looking puzzles that take me ages to figure out; in this case it's the puzzle right before the midpoint. I think this was another one that I had to take a break from the game to figure out. On the bright side I seem to be familiar with a good amount of SMW's more obscure mechanics, including tapping jump to fly backwards, so I didn't have trouble figuring that part out.

Also, now that I've seen a video with raocow playing one of these postgame levels using savestates without restraint, I must say that I much prefer things this way. I personally had fun playing these levels without savestates, but this kind of thing is most certainly not for everyone, and I think the last few videos have made it pretty clear that raocow probably isn't part of the target audience.

ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

I played this level in a similar way to raocow. The cape trick with tapping B is a bit obscure but important (it decreases your speed by 6. for reference running or p speed is somewhere around 50, can't remember the exact number)
Mosts Awards:
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

could someone confirm to me that the spinning while running up a wall, is that ASM or is that obscure gameplay? i literally can't tell. although i do enjoy how it freezes the running up the wall animation.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
gbreeze

Post by gbreeze »

it is vanilla! here's the famous gif in question
Crow

Post by Crow »

this brings me back to a simpler time, where the start was rolling
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Cyril wrote: 3 years ago this brings me back to a simpler time, where the start was rolling
now it's only rolling in the deep :cry:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Cyril wrote: 3 years ago challenge can be rewarding and fun without requiring incessant repetition
for the record i dislike super meat boy for a lot of the same reasons but there are other reasons i dislike that game i don't feel are worth elaborating on in this thread
I didn't say that wasn't possible. Honestly, the way I see it it's really not that kaizo is a problem, it's just that it's not to your taste. Which is fine, neither kaizo or your tastes are a problem. You really don't have to like every game, which is something I kind of have to come to accept (Wild ARMs 1 and Guardian's Crusade just have pretty average stories and basic battle systems :( ).
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

gbreeze wrote: 3 years ago it is vanilla! here's the famous gif in question
on the topic of the level's title, i know that blue switch refers to the cape switch in jumphalf.... but how is bridge engineering related, and what is that one level from super challenge world?
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Crow

Post by Crow »

Grounder wrote: 3 years ago
Cyril wrote: 3 years ago this brings me back to a simpler time, where the start was rolling
now it's only rolling in the deep :cry:
we could've had it all...
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago Honestly, the way I see it it's really not that kaizo is a problem, it's just that it's not to your taste.
i WOULD like for kaizo to be a problem though. if anyone knows how to make this happen please email me at kaizoh8tr21@smwcentral.net
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Skye

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.