(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by KobaBeach »

Bean wrote: 3 years ago Dark Castle since Riesz is the lead. Using the same Riesz/Hawkeye/Duran team I did in the remake just to compare the games. Long story short, I like the remake a good deal more, but this SNES one's still fun outside of a few glaring flaws.
Nice. Mine was Mirage Palace in the SNES run, but it'll be Dark Castle in the PC run due to Riesz being in the lead. Glad you're having fun :3
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago can someone explain to me how people are like being able to play so many games in 2020 in the games beat in 2020 thread
the heck else am i supposed to do with this extra free time in quarantine

(i do a lot else actually but i love video games)

anyways started monster boy and the cursed kingdom. so far it's a metroidvania
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

As for the games beaten thing, it's a combo of quarantine due to being high risk thanks to a bout of a season-long bronchitis I had last year and not having any work with my voice acting hobby since around that time, too. Besides, most of the games I beat in July were under ten hours thanks to being close to the end on some or just doing retro or retro-inspired stuff. I think Gunvolt 2 was the longest at just under fifteen hours. Trials just hit fifteen today, so it's the longest one I've played since June.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Cyril wrote: 3 years ago the heck else am i supposed to do with this extra free time in quarantine

(i do a lot else actually but i love video games)
Bean wrote: As for the games beaten thing, it's a combo of quarantine due to being high risk thanks to a bout of a season-long bronchitis I had last year and not having any work with my voice acting hobby since around that time, too.
Y'know what fair

I just play a lot of really long games like RPGs and such. I just like a good story and a nice menu simulator that doesn't challenge my motor skills too much, alternately a nice little ARPG will do just fine. I don't usually play many platformers and when I do they tend to be on the harder side of things so they take me a while to finish, or in the case of 3D Mario, tend to be quite long.

Anyway I beat Emelia's story in SaGa Frontier. Finished the Rune quest, did the gold ingot trick to stock up on gear and items, did the Arcane quest, went through Baccarat and Trinity Base (twice the latter) and then did the final quest at Yorkland. Diva was really tough despite the preparation, but it felt very rewarding to beat. Also grinded a bit for waza in the Bio Research Lab. I'll do another story later on in the future.
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

yeah i don't play many long games but then on the flipside i read umineko this year which is ridiculously sized so
the kind of games i most prefer don't trend towards super long playtimes
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Cyril wrote: 3 years ago yeah i don't play many long games but then on the flipside i read umineko this year which is ridiculously sized so
the kind of games i most prefer don't trend towards super long playtimes
I guess I'm also a bit jealous because there was a point in time in like 2015 where I beat like 60 games (my talkhaus list is incomplete but I have a full list in Google Drive) and I'm like. I could do better. At beating video games. lol

I'm so insecure sometimes with like everything and it's such a pain.

Looking at it I've beat like 14 RPGs in 2015, but apart from SaGa Frontier and Final Fantasy IX, they were mostly pretty shortish and everything else was shorter games. I guess I just don't have that much interest for shorter games these days.

Also wow I beat Lufia 2 before Lufia 1 lol
I remember Lufia 1 kind of bored me so I just skipped ahead lol
Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Lufia 2 DOES take place before Lufia 1, sooo

Also, how was Clockwork Knight
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago Also, how was Clockwork Knight
It was honestly pretty average. Not bad, not the best. Just adequate. I remember I had a lot of trouble on the paper doll boss (boss 3 I believe?) of all things. The TV screen final boss reminded me a lot of the bara Cho Aniki Toad from Brutal Mario in terms of strategy. Makes me wonder if carol played this game or not haha.
Image Image
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Beat Sonic Unleashed (Wii) yesterday. I was thinking that maybe I would go back and try to S rank every level, but then I got to Eggmanland and thought "How about I don't S rank every level." I completely forgot that after you complete a daytime stage you have to do several bonus challenges, it's like my mind just removed that from my memory. One of the bonus challenges for the final daytime level is literally; just do the level again but don't fuck up. The later zones in general end up having way to many nighttime stages.
The game suffers from the problem, you have to be good in order to get a bonus that makes the game easier.
You start every level with a fixed amount of lives (default two) and there are no one ups. You can increase the amount of lives you start a level with by completing gate puzzles. You unlock gate puzzles by collecting emblems, which you earn by getting good ranks on level. The problem becomes if you're good enough at the game to get emblems, you're good enough to not need extra lives (until maybe the really late game).
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Made it to Nibelheim in Final Fantasy VII. The Cave of the Gi segment is touching as always. I always get goosebumps at the scene where

Red discovers his father's fate

. Red is honestly one of my favorite characters so.

Also played a bit of Pokémon Red. Doing a casual run with a Charmander, it's a Charmeleon rn, plus a Pidgey and a Paras that I might grind to level 20 tomorrow to prepare for Misty. Pokémon playthroughs with me are very rote so I might consider doing some Nuzlockes in the future.
Image Image
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Kleetus wrote: 3 years ago Beat Sonic Unleashed (Wii) yesterday. I was thinking that maybe I would go back and try to S rank every level, but then I got to Eggmanland and thought "How about I don't S rank every level."
And that's not even mentioning how the Wii version is the GOOD version of Eggmanland lmao
Nast

Post by Nast »

I played Popeye 2 on the Game Boy
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

How was it
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Nast

Post by Nast »

It was a Game Boy game featuring Popeye
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Played a bit of Pokémon Red today. Grinded to lv20 on my Paras and Pidgey, beat Misty, met up with Bill, got a Diglett, went through the S.S. Anne, beat up Lt. Surge with Dig, got a bike, catched some more Pokémon (Spearow and Ekans) just to get Flash, got Flash, got a Voltorb, beat some more trainers, and got a Machop. Gonna grind a bit tomorrow and move on to Rock Tunnel and Lavender.

EDIT: Went through Shinra Manor and got Odin, Cosmo Memory, Vincent and the ???? enemy skill in Final Fantasy VII.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Okay so today I played through a bit of Dragon Slayer, PC88. I had to use savestates to keep my sanity because of the game being very archaic. I was a bit into building my stats in Phase 1, before I ran into enemies that drained your strength and experience with attacks. I felt like my progress was being undone so I quit the game. I still added it to Backloggery as null so I could give my own opinion on it in the review box.

I later tried out a bit of Xanadu: Dragon Slayer II, also PC88. I wasn't able to do anything in the first tower (knights kept blocking me? not sure), so I'm going to save it for another time with the help of a video guide on YouTube or Nico. Plays pretty alright though, very pleased! Getting through the copy protection puzzle in Level 0 is a bit dumb but thankfully video playthroughs exist. A certain someone apparently beat these two (Dragon Slayer and Xanadu) earlier last year tho, so they always remind me of her.

Also got through Rock Tunnel in Pokémon Red and Mt. Nibel in Final Fantasy VII, also got Trine. Gonna go through Pokémon Tower and Rocket Town (and maybe Temple of the Ancients, possibly Wutai if I have the motivation for it?) respectively tomorrow. Might try to sneak Popolocrois if Xanadu doesn't take up too much time and get Chapter 2 finished.
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Beat the original Trials of Mana yesterday. Accidentally walked into the final boss fight before saving, but I won pretty easily. In fact, most of the final bosses were easy outside of a couple rematches early on. Game is just so oddly balanced and dependent on whether or not the enemies spam skills and magic or not. Like the other two Mana games, this one's fine. I'd say to go with the remake here.

After that, I hooked up the PS4 again to play Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout. This game's all online stuff against 59 other people. Think of it basically as a sports game show type of deal where you're doing Wipeout/MXC/Takeshi's Castle style of challenges to try and stick around and win. It's free if with PS+ this month which you have to have to even play the game anyway, so yeah. Fun times. I won a couple of episodes in it. A couple of events are on the weak side, but the majority of it rocks. Definitely a fun game in small doses if you don't take it seriously.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Bean wrote: Wipeout/MXC/Takeshi's Castle
MXC is Takeshi's Castle
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Awoo »

thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago
Bean wrote: Wipeout/MXC/Takeshi's Castle
MXC is Takeshi's Castle
Technically it's a Kung Pow!-esque dub
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Just covering my bases in case people don't know one from the other. This is an accurate representation of what my dude looks like when he falls over in Fall Guys, by the way. :mgmnds:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Went through Rocket Town, fought Palmer, got the Tiny Bronco and Cid, took a detour in Wutai to chase, then save Yuffie (and Elena), and went through the Gold Saucer revisit (didn't go to Bone Village) in Final Fantasy VII today, got the Aeris date (last time I got Tifa). Also got All Creation and Leviathan through the pagoda sidequest, and also Great Gospel (though Aeris would need quite a bit of grinding to be able to use it and I don't wanna do it). Just outside of the Temple of the Ancients.

Also played through most of Arc the Lad, thanks to Random.org for helping me decide. Went through Millmana to talk to the Forest Spirit in Toyoke Forest, saved Tosh, revisited Touvil in Seirya and fought at the Ancient Monolith, recruited Gogen, went through Alatos and recruited Chongara as well as got the Light Stone from the Light Guardian in Azenda Highland, went through Greyshinne to recruit Iga and got the Earth Stone from the Earth Guardian in Mt. Amaidar, and went through the Arena in Niedel to save the Wind Guardian and get the Wind Stone. I'm gonna focus on grinding the party a bit to get it more balanced since Arc sort of swiped all the experience and got to Lv36. Tosh is Lv35 and I'll continue tomorrow. All I have left is a visit to Zariban to save the Water Guardian and a

revisit to Seirya

to save the Fire Guardian and discover the big twist of the game.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Levelled up Iga, Kukuru and Gogen to Lv35, but some of em (including Tosh) have gained levels from actions in battle (getting hit etc). Arc's at Lv40? Poco's in the 20s and Chongara will be afterwards. All this in Arc the Lad. Added three hours to my total gameplay time.

Meanwhile I got the Saturn Pillar in Zaratan (not to be confused with Zariban) and explored some of Bael's Castle in Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II. 1F's entirety and part of 2F. Also recruited a Giant and fused a Rakcharango. Hopefully this is good enough to beat Bael. Some of the enemies in the higher floors have high levels, so I worry. I also grinded a bit for gear on the protag (Hideto/Takuma). Protag is at 45, while the witch (Rosanna/Asuka) is at 44. Of course, those aren't the names I gave the characters.
Image Image
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

I've reached Monstro in Kingdom Hearts. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'll be referring to a walkthrough here, as I'm not fond of entrance mazes and I don't have Monstro memorized.

I've put Pokemon Moon on the back burner and started up Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced again, but this time with the Minor Tweaks patch set (I'm using core tweaks + alternate starting party).
I like this tweaks patch for the most part, but will likely go back to the original shop progression - the tweaks pack ties shop upgrades to story progress rather than overall mission completion, so you're encouraged to make a beeline for the Famfrit fight, and I'd rather work on mastering job abilities.
Definitely playing with this patch set in the future, though - not having to grind levels to take down story missions is going to make this a hell of a lot less tedious - the level cap is 50 and your job at level up informs your stat increases, so each level up in a mediocre job is one less level I can get in a good job down the line.
Added bonus: No longer discouraged from picking up a full set of 20 clan members, since I don't have to actively grind them all to keep them relevant.
Now if only Medalled Enemies - who can violate the laws with impunity - were restricted to Boss Fights instead of practically every mission having a medalled enemy, I'd be happy.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat Arc the Lad! Grinded Poco and Chongara to Lv35, then just went to town on the story. Was still a bit challenging, but not much. Again Arc just gained too much experience, he reached Lv51 in the final battle. Very short game, but not a bad game. It's a shame that it was kind of rushed due to ambitions getting out of hand.

Also overwrote my 1st save where I beat it at 15h but that's ok
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Managed to win three episodes of Fall Guys in a row. No way I'm getting the five in a row trophy, but some games are fun enough to not worry about that stuff in. This would be one of them. If it wasn't for New Horizons, this would be my favorite game of 2020 right now.