(shouting)

The Haus of Talk Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: talkhaus thoughts

Post by Ashan »

My talkhaus account is 10 years old today

I joined because of this video

I went on to make a horrible tails155 knockoff level for a hack that never really released and once the zombie compilation finally appeared I was too ashamed of my level to watch the LP
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That's the spirit, he says, a month later!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Thank you!
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag
First name: beatboxingboo

Re: i guess we don't call this the twitter thread anymore?

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

I honestly really miss being part of a forum. That was like, probably the single biggest influence on me growing up, so I'm super nostalgic for it. Maybe I'm an old foagie now but it seems like they're kinda dying for the most part. I'm glad this place isn't totally dead.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Ashan wrote: 3 years ago My talkhaus account is 10 years old today

I joined because of this video

I went on to make a horrible tails155 knockoff level for a hack that never really released and once the zombie compilation finally appeared I was too ashamed of my level to watch the LP
yo. i'm pretty sure same on all counts
except that last part i loved seeing people play my terrible level
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
FinalBoss
-
First name: -
Pronouns: they/them

Post by FinalBoss »

~ 11 years even though i pretty much never posted.... it's still good seeing forums. maybe someday more people can come back to forums. they are cozy places.

one thing for certain though is that opening up an account from early teenage me is a type of embarrassing pain that I never wish to experience again.
rena
type 2 invested entity
First name: cat
Pronouns: spider
https://rena.talkhaus.com/

Post by rena »

i never liked forums but now i hate the modern internet even more with its 4 sites all variations on social media
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

So another massive Nintendo LEak hit. Here's a page trying to track/document stuff:

https://lombtv.neocities.org/info.html
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

SAJewers wrote: 3 years ago So another massive Nintendo LEak hit. Here's a page trying to track/document stuff:

https://lombtv.neocities.org/info.html
Made a thread for it
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

Decided to return on the raocow bandwagon, for some reason. How have things changed over here?
Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Post by Wolfolotl »

dropped by for the first time in years to ask a yump2 question, figured I should ask how things have been since I was a stupid adversarial teenager
:nb_pride:
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

Wolfolotl wrote: 3 years ago dropped by for the first time in years to ask a yump2 question, figured I should ask how things have been since I was a stupid adversarial teenager
Hi, Wolfy. As someone who also recently returned, you didn’t miss much.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Oh neat. LilyPad and AddMusicK use similar notational rules.

Guess it's time to learn how to music.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
agargara

Post by agargara »

A lily pad in the lily pond, what will the lilacs think
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

raekuul wrote: 3 years ago Oh neat. LilyPad and AddMusicK use similar notational rules.

Guess it's time to learn how to music.
I don't know what LilyPad is but MML?

Good luck. Here's an extensive tutorial on SMW Music Porting, should help you get a good grasp of MML.

I've started work on a scale platform from SMB1 sometime ago but the collision is giving me trouble. I'm thinking of hardcoding it with help from the disassembly instead of using the pre-made SMW one just to get this over with, but motivation has been low.

Somewhat related, there's also a new alternative SMW editor being made by Yoshimaster96 and I'm honestly kind of hype. Not to show up FuSoYa (okay a bit to show up Fu) but so the scene has a little open source alternative to help foster new editors in case Fu decides to retire. And also for the purposes of having an alternate editor that doesn't mess too much with ASM hijacks for advanced users.

agargara wrote:A lily pad in the lily pond, what will the lilacs think
freedom planet
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Managed to save all of my old SMW hacking stuff (including all of the ASMT files!) from the broken USB stick they were stuck on! I still don’t have have a proper computer to do anything useful with it, just a temporary laptop I’ve borrowed from work for working from home, but this will be fun to look through later when I get around to buying one.

Reminder to myself to set up a proper git repository once I finally get around to starting up a new hacking project, though; from quickly browsing through the ASMT folder it’s kind of a horrendous mess, with outdated copies of various files everywhere.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Glad to hear.

Some people on SMWC and Sneslab have gits. I intend to use mine for non-ASM stuff as well when I get better at that so I just thought "why not make one?". So far only my SMW stuff, a small Toy Story disassembly I haven't done much progress in and some Head First Java exercises are all that's in it. I also use it to transfer my SMW folder from one PC to the other easily, so that's private.

I don't know how much of an expert in ASM I am despite having done some stuff myself so I don't know if I can help with refreshers or just general aid. I am making a somewhat complex sprite rn tho. Thinking of making a small Mode 7 boss from another game just to practice using Mode 7 in general too. I was half-suggested some Skyblazer bosses, possibly the rolling one due to how simple it is (a friend is planning on making it for his hack, but I can make it too).

I also have some requests to make an edited Monty Mole and a remake of carol's pushing Shy Guy boss (the latter from the same friend that wants to make the Mode 7 boss), which I did try to make once but without Layer 2. I'll try with Layer 2 like carol did this time just to make it less of a headache haha. I won't be salvaging carol's code because carol's code is a huge mess a lot of the time.
Image Image
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago I don't know how much of an expert in ASM I am despite having done some stuff myself so I don't know if I can help with refreshers or just general aid.
I appreciate the offer, but I think I’ll be fine. I work as an embedded systems C programmer, so even if I haven’t done any actual ASM work in years, it really isn’t that far off from what I’ve spent the last five or so years doing daily :V

Also re: not being an ASM expert: unless the scene has evolved a ridiculous amount in the few years since I last visited SMWC, just being able to consider coding a Mode 7 boss already puts you way beyond what most people will ever reach.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

yoshicookiezeus wrote: 3 years ago I appreciate the offer, but I think I’ll be fine. I work as an embedded systems C programmer, so even if I haven’t done any actual ASM work in years, it really isn’t that far off from what I’ve spent the last five or so years doing daily :V

Also re: not being an ASM expert: unless the scene has evolved a ridiculous amount in the few years since I last visited SMWC, just being able to consider coding a Mode 7 boss already puts you way beyond what most people will ever reach.
Wow that's so cool @ C programming. I'd like to work as a freelance programmer sometime, even if only to gain experience (I don't know if I'll be able to finish high school or go to college, money and mental health issues). Also shucks! Mode 7 is still tough but thanks to dotsarecool/IsoFrieze's Retro Game Mechanics Explained series on the SNES' hardware features, there is a good video that explains the ins and outs of Mode 7 rather well. It's just a matter of practicing and learning.

As for the boss me and my friend were considering making (he's working on a Kaizo hack with silly ASM, very motivated), it's this one. Simple movement, scaling and rotating.

Rotating I could copypaste from Bowser and the Koopalings since rotating accurately is a bit of a struggle on the SNES, scaling shouldn't be too hard to mess around with. As for movement, I think you can just check for layer 1 contact on one side to move up, and another to move down.

Alternately I could hardcode the locations to move up and down if there are limitations on the SMW engine regarding sprites being blocked. I think it's just layer 2 that handles side contact as one bit regardless of side, but I haven't checked the RAM Map in a few days.

So far I've coded two sprites with the help of some previously made ones (SMB3 Burners with the help of the VIP5 ones, Leaf Shield with the help of carol's), and am working on another one that's more complex fully by myself with the occasional help from fellow ASMers (Scale Platforms from SMB1), and also an unfinished sunset HDMA that shifted over time that also had a simple sun sprite that served for decoration. I'm planning on someday remaking it to support Dynamic HDMA, however. My motivation for ASM is to someday be able to make things like the VIP5 bosses, so I want to be as good at it as I can be!

There are a lot of talented coders these days. Someone even managed to port basic YI 3D from Super FX to SA1 for their CLDC entry (thus why I'm leaving them as anonymous, you can always drop by the site when the results drop to find out who, or just check out the Discord and the #cldc-showoff channel), said person also messed around with Mode 2's background offset feature to replicate the lava from the underground dungeon sections in YI as well (it was very hard, so they say).

More people are starting to approach ASM too which is nice. Maybe someday we'll see even more people doing stuff like in depth Mode 7 usage and such, or complex enemies and bosses, or large scale patches! There was one person who started work on a little Mario Kart minigame, which I think was private for someone's hack (or maybe was just made as a tech demo), but it was never released and the person who did it sacrificed their account in a sort of "ban me" outburst of, from what I heard, racial slurs? The person was a teenager (they've been coding since like 7) so, I won't judge them too harshly, but still quite harshly. They also did their own mode 7 overworld and some other neat stuff.

Looking forward to seeing you back on the site. :catplanet:
Image Image
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

I'm a bit curious, but what happened at November 4th of 2019 where we got 2134 people on the talkhaus at the same time?
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

jayScribble wrote: 3 years ago I'm a bit curious, but what happened at November 4th of 2019 where we got 2134 people on the talkhaus at the same time?
pretty sure that was some kind of bot stampede, 'cus I'm pretty sure it wasn't A Rose in the Twilight episode 2 setting the talkhaus ablaze
rena
type 2 invested entity
First name: cat
Pronouns: spider
https://rena.talkhaus.com/

Post by rena »

weirdly aggressive chinese data farming bots copying the whole internet for some reason
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

BobisOnlyBob wrote:
jayScribble wrote: 3 years ago I'm a bit curious, but what happened at November 4th of 2019 where we got 2134 people on the talkhaus at the same time?
pretty sure that was some kind of bot stampede, 'cus I'm pretty sure it wasn't A Rose in the Twilight episode 2 setting the talkhaus ablaze
rena wrote: weirdly aggressive chinese data farming bots copying the whole internet for some reason
Yeah, I suspected as much. I remember the last time someone ask this a years ago and got the same answer. I think before it was around the 300~500 range.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i had a dream about raocow doing a face reveal vlog

this is the second time