(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by HatKid »

Finished Saints Row 1. It's okay in a vacuum. As a predecessor of Saints Row 2, it's not. There are no checkpoints which makes some of the more difficult missions annoying as the hard part is usually at the end and the first parts of said missions are really easy and timer based so there is no way to actually do it faster without some sort of glitching I'm unaware of. There is no easy way to earn respect in SR1, the only way to earn respect is through activities, taking hostages, or hoping a pushback happens. The activities themselves start out pathetically easy and some stay that way, others get extremely difficult. The story is alright, nothing too great. It was nice getting some context for some lines in later games (mostly 2 because lol why bother addressing open plot threads in your later sequels) and now I can really appreciate just how much better SR2 is.

I think I'm finally ready to take on the final bosses in Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. I got my stats up a ton so hopefully it's enough. Why's it gotta be such a huge difficulty spike anyway... Probably so you can't just beat the game in Year 5 and never see any of the events that happen in later years.

Speaking of FF, I started (well, more accurately, resumed) my playthrough of FF2 USA yesterday. I renamed the characters all sorts of silly things, some of which are "in-jokes" of sorts between my brother and I which has been making the game more enjoyable for me because I don't like FF4 that much. I originally played the PSP version so it's weird to me hearing the SNES sound effects. I used the original music when I played the PSP version so it was like seeing an old friend lol.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Finally getting around to the Collection of Mana games on the Switch. Starting out with Final Fantasy Adventure. About halfway through that one already since I'm 100% using a guide to not get lost. Had already beaten Secret of Mana on the SNES Classic, so I'd move on to the SNES version of Trials of Mana if I'm not burnt out at the end of this run.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

been playing bfbb rehydrated. it's a fun enough 3D platformer and i appreciate all the environments and references and stuff but the game design definitely shows its age
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i pirated trials of mana because im poor and it runs like ass on my pc but i've made it past full metal hugger. team is riesz/chawwotte/angela
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I finished Super Mario RPG.
A very cute game. Bowser's writing is amazing.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

I finally finished Everspace, 6 months to the day after I finished my first run of it. Over 80 hours, most of it fun :catplanet:

I think the postgame was a little long in the tooth. Doing multiple runs for the same purpose got a little boring after a while, which is probably why it took so long. If they did weird routes and stuff, it wouldn't have been as boring as it was. Plus, once you figured out the OP loadout, most runs are pretty easy (though still tricky).

That said, the final boss was actually cool in the sense that you couldn't just attack the ship directly, and it became this cat and mouse game where you had to find the means to power the weapon that can attack it, then time your powering of the weapon so that it actually hits the ship, all the while dodging it and the ship (which had an instakill weapon you can dodge).

I really look forward to the sequel :)
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Picked up my hard mode play through of Rabi-Ribi again. This game is seriously up there among my favourite Metroidvanias ever; the gameplay more than makes up for the rambling writing and ...somewhat questionable character designs. Currently blazing through the postgame, and I really want to go back and try some of the crazy sequence breaks described in the achievements, and maybe even try for a 0% run; I did the “recruit Saya first” achievement this run, and trying to find a route to her without any of the plot-gated movement upgrades that didn’t run into any other bosses was a lot of fun.
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

So, I finished Yakuza 6, bringing a close to the main games in the Yakuza series. I love these games, man. Such great characters, music, gameplay, side content, and stories. I think my ranking goes 0>3>6>5=Kiwami>4>Kiwami 2. I highly recommend them!!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

can someone explain to me how people are like being able to play so many games in 2020 in the games beat in 2020 thread

i wish i had that amount of stamina

anyway i'm out of midgar and the cloud's past sequence in a final fantasy 7 replay. trying to update my party's gear and get some more materia in them. also started dragon quest in japanese on my laptop because i was too lazy to download the translation patch for the sufami version and i got to kol. grinding for gear.
Image Image
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Rabi-Ribi hard mode 100% complete! I used a guide for the egg cleanup, though; some of those things are hidden in ridiculously obscure places. Started working on a 0% run next; it was fairly easy at first, but now the bosses are starting to level up a bit while I’m still stuck with my starting blue Ribbon magic at base power and no movement upgrades for dodging. At least I now have my 10 townspeople recruited in chapter 1 for the achievement, so I can start advancing the story and get the bunny amulet, which should help a lot.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Update on ff7 i've gotten three (3) enemy skills (blue magic ya fucking wankers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and i've decided to leave yuffie for later when i can get her at a less absurd rate
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Playing through the original Trials of Mana game thanks to the Collection version we got. Don't really know what to say other than it takes longer to level up in this one which mean the class changing won't happen for a good while. Gusthall was where I got the first changes for everyone in the remake, but I'm already a couple areas past it and still have five levels to go before everyone can switch it up!
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

Picked up Kingdom Hearts again.

I forgot how frustrating the First Orbit worlds can be without a walkthrough. Second Orbit might have harder battles but it's also a hell of a lot more straightforward (even Monstro somehow manages to be more linear than Deep Jungle, and Monstro is a literal Entrances Maze)
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Bean wrote: 3 years ago Playing through the original Trials of Mana game thanks to the Collection version we got. Don't really know what to say other than it takes longer to level up in this one which mean the class changing won't happen for a good while. Gusthall was where I got the first changes for everyone in the remake, but I'm already a couple areas past it and still have five levels to go before everyone can switch it up!
Yeah, in the original, you didn't get your first class change until much deeper in the game (and the same with the second class change). I think they changed it up because they figured it took too long to get into such class changes, plus it's much easier to switch between classes if you're not feeling one or the other.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Rabi-Ribi 0% main game clear. The difficulty is really starting to get up there now; fighting level ~16 bosses with no upgrades means I die in five or so hits and they take forever to kill, and even on the lowest difficulty the final boss gauntlet has quite a few attacks that are genuinely tricky to dodge. Special shoutouts to Miru for taking away Ribbon for her battle, forcing me to fight her exclusively with the bunny amulet.

At least there’s a window now where I can stock up on health consumables in the store without getting a permanent upgrade forced on me. I get the feeling I’m going to need them for the postgame.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

what up jose

I'm at Cosmo Canyon in Final Fantasy VII, got Yuffie at Gongaga at pure random (I was thinking of leaving her for Rocket Town since it was taking forever to get her but whoops I got her just as I was about to enter Gongaga) and I got 10 Enemy Skills with the first two Enemy Skill materia. Beta was funny because only one of them got it and the other just missed it twice (first time because Cloud got yeeted, second time because ???). Also managed to get pretty much all of the in-map materia. Titan is really dumb because you don't get any notice of it other than Scarlet looked at its spot during a scene. Thinking of doing Final Fantasy VIII and IX too but not at the same time.

Also beat Dragon Quest again. Used a walkthrough for a bit just to know when I could get Healmore and the distance of the Token of Erdrick from Castle Tantegel because lazy. Also got the Fairy Flute non-blind, which is like something I like to save for after I talk to the person that tells you about it because I'm stupid in that way, but again, I wanted to just do a casual playthrough.

Edit: Just started an Emelia file in SaGa Frontier. Currently out of Shingrow but I'm thinking of getting some more party members and magic before heading to Baccarat to move on with the story, visiting some side locations for extra cash and such...
Image Image
Nast

Post by Nast »

Started up Chrono Trigger a few days ago. My husband who's a huge RPG nerd recommended it to me as a way to dip my toes into the genre. I've just learned about Lavos and will be traveling to the Proto Dome next.

I like it! The active time battle system is pretty fun, especially with the way that the positioning of the enemies plays a role in making the most out of your attacks. The story's quirky and charming, and as early on as I am, is very often taking me by surprise, which is great too. Lookin forward to playing more.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

thatguyif wrote: 3 years agoYeah, in the original, you didn't get your first class change until much deeper in the game (and the same with the second class change). I think they changed it up because they figured it took too long to get into such class changes, plus it's much easier to switch between classes if you're not feeling one or the other.
Yeah, it's got a lot of minor gameplay issues both in and outside of combat. I'm having fun with it, but I'm glad this game also got a remake released this year because it fixed up a lot of the SNES original's issues. Getting close to the end now that I'm on the final class for everyone.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

So turns out the Miriam fight is kind of hilarious on a 0% run. The way it normally works is that as the shopkeeper, Miriam has access to all of your equipment, and uses attacks based on all the stuff you’ve collected throughout the game so far; it’s a pretty difficult battle if you’ve been diligent about your upgrade gathering. However, when you haven’t actually collected anything, that kind of breaks down; the vast majority of her attack rotation consisted of pulling out an item, seemingly going “wait, I can’t use this, the player doesn’t have it”, and putting it away again. The fight still isn’t entirely trivial, since you still have the bunny amulet in 0% and she has an attack based on that, but it was still a nice breather after the nightmare that was the Hall of Memories.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Just finished Final Fantasy II USA. It's okay, FF4 isn't a favorite of mine mostly because of it's story. It's really annoying how

there are very little consequences of anything. Like, every playable character that "dies" just gets resurrected/didn't actually die in the first place. The only exception is Tellah I think. Though, some non-playable characters do actually die or go away forever

. Outside of that, it's a fairly standard game. I may replay it someday, but it'd be pretty low on the potential replay list.

And with that, I plan to play SMT 3: Nocturne. I had started a playthrough of it when I got the game a few years ago but I didn't play for all that long. We'll see if I'll beat it this time around!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

NastCF wrote: 3 years ago Started up Chrono Trigger a few days ago. My husband who's a huge RPG nerd recommended it to me as a way to dip my toes into the genre.
Chrono Trigger is probably the ideal beginner's RPG. I'm glad you chose it and I'm glad you're having fun.

Anyway I've gone through a few side-excursions in SaGa Frontier. Went through Sei's Tomb in Shrike, got the Murakumo, Magatama and Mizukagami (didn't deposit them to recruit Sei though), recruited Roufas, Mei-Ling, Lute and Rouge (but didn't really use the last three), then went through the Luminous Labyrinth for the gift of Light Magic, got some money from it too, went through Tanzer (which is a bit random in whether it shows up or not, you need at least one rune and the rune stones) (EDIT: and recruited Fei-On), had a surprising amount of non-difficulty with the slimes due to having GaleSlash and other pretty good Waza, got the Vitality Rune, then travelled through the other backstreets of Koorong to get some more money and go through the Natural Cave next to PzkwV's shop. The Quakeworm was a real pain, had to use quite a few Cures and PowerCures, but I managed and got the Hide Rune!! Mu's Tomb is next, for the Victory Rune.
Last edited by KobaBeach 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

And there we go, Rabi-Ribi 0% run complete. The rest of the postgame turned out to be much easier than I expected: the bosses in the boss rush did basically no damage, had very little health, and healed you to full after each fight; Rumi had an Instant Death debuff on her for all except the last of her health bars, making the battle go by really quickly; and the platforming areas had lots of springboards and Ribbon shortcuts added to make up for my lack of mobility options. Irisu was still pretty difficult, but not much more so than in a normal run, especially since for once I actually had access to an inventory full of healing consumables.

As far as I can tell, there isn’t any way to get to the start of the first DLC chapter with no mobility upgrades collected, so I think this is it for now. I’ll probably go back and try doing normal runs on the harder difficulties at some point, but I think that will have to wait until some other time.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I'm on the final dungeon now in Trials of Mana (SNES), but I went back to farm for some equipment seed off of some enemies in an easy to access location. The extra attack and defense should help, but it's also letting me level up Riesz a bit. One more level, and she'll have her silence spell, and that is arguably one of the most important ones in the whole game since skills and magic flat-out destroy your party whenever the AI decides it's time to use them.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Bean wrote: 3 years ago I'm on the final dungeon now in Trials of Mana (SNES)
Oh, which one? Good luck in levelling up Riesz, magic in the SNES Manas is a pain and a half.
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years agoOh, which one? Good luck in levelling up Riesz, magic in the SNES Manas is a pain and a half.
Dark Castle since Riesz is the lead. Using the same Riesz/Hawkeye/Duran team I did in the remake just to compare the games. Long story short, I like the remake a good deal more, but this SNES one's still fun outside of a few glaring flaws.