(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Re: spiky harold's more successful cousin - my sonadow slashfic - a special race, to see who's the fastest

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Since raocow's briefly returning to SA2, now seems like a good time to mention my experiences in my recent playthrough of this game (I was hoping to be able to play it during raocow's playthrough, but unfortunately a family member borrowed my gamecube shortly before the first video and didn't bring it back until the day after the last video). I wanted to be sure I was as good as I claimed to be, so I started a new file and played through all the stories while trying my best to get A ranks.

I managed to get A ranks on all but five of the stages, with those five stages being: Pumpkin Hill (I searched the entire level before finding the last emerald piece), Metal Harbor (I think just not starting with the Light Dash was enough to not get an A rank), Meteor Herd (space is big), Sand Ocean (not having the hover makes this place really slow), and Mad Space (again, space is big).

It's nice to know that even though I haven't played this game in several years I can still A rank most of the stages, and even when I didn't I still managed a B rank (except for Meteor Herd and Mad Space, where I got D and E respectively). There were a few stages where I died and wouldn't have gotten an A rank had I not chose to restart from the beginning every time, but that didn't happen too often. I do want to give a special mention to the jet plane in Mission Street that rammed into me at lightning speed for daring to hover across a pit while on the wrong side of the road.

Anyway, during raocow's playthrough of SA2 I wasn't able to give much of an opinion of the gameplay due to the fact that I hadn't played it in years. I did remember it being fun though, and now that I've just played it again I can say that I found it just as fun as I remembered.

Also, after I was done with the story I visited the Chao Garden; as soon as I entered my old Chao came up to me and greeted me and it was super adorable.

Kincyr
HONK!

Re: spiky harold's more successful cousin - my sonadow slashfic - a special race, to see who's the fastest

Post by Kincyr »

more info since as raocow said, the Dark Chao Walker replaced Big the Cat:
Big was simply driving Eggman's Eggwalker, with Froggy replacing the boxing glove.
in the Dreamcast version, the additional characters were simply unlockable alternate models and selected as if they were alternate skins, so they didn't have unique stats or abilities. they were also completely silent. there were two exceptions to all of this:
  1. Amy had voicelines from the story recycled for use in 2P.
  2. Big's B-button melee action was changed from 'Punch' to 'Froggy'.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

"Amy Rose is here..." -Amy Rose
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

please let there never be any reason to ever revisit adventure sonic two: to battle or not to battle, ever again

until raocow takes an annotated version of the source code and examines it line by line so that we may experience the very most basic fibers of its mechanics in a way we have not yet appreciated
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Sonic The Spinball Adventure 2 Never Ends.
ImageImage
churine

Post by churine »

lowin

roacow you can connect the gba to dolphin so you can take your chao to the Advance Chao Garden this Unseen Functionality will allow you to take your beloved carefully personally raised Satan to sonic adventure dx

are you not going to free Satan from this game? all he wants is you to never escape
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 3 years agoMetal Harbor (I think just not starting with the Light Dash was enough to not get an A rank)
This is the single strictest A-rank requirement in the entire game so yeah you have to have the tools from the start + do a lot of arbitrary stuff, hit the top of the rocket, etc.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Re: All The S@nics - Advance 2 - Rebuild Of Pocket Adventure 2.0: You Can (Finally) Advance

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

obsessed with the bitrate artifacts in this thumbnail
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Grounder

Re: All The S@nics - Advance 2 - Rebuild Of Pocket Adventure 2.0: You Can (Finally) Advance

Post by Grounder »

hope yall liked all the evangelion the first go around
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

yeah, so

special rings

:monstrosity:
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

it's funny because when i added it to my tv queue the thumb was completely clean

2 might be my favorite Advance game, i just love how fast-paced it feels. The level design... I guess we'll see. And I don't need to add any comments about the special stages

Also, two neat things:
  • that goal tile thing at the end is actually a little minigame! It wants you to hit the end at high speed and then skid to a stop for points. Ruin your shoes
  • The level start countdown is also a minigame
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yeah youtube has been having issues with thumbnails for a while now. sometimes it's the max default, sometimes it's here. Not sure what is going on in there.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
DinnerSonic
All the DinnerSonics
First name: Matthew

Post by DinnerSonic »

All the Robotnik's Bonker Crazy Make Great the Break The Thing Machines tally:
  • 4 Egg Mobile-H's(S1, S3k, Schoolhouse, Advance 1)
  • 1 Auto Hammer Hammer Barrel(Screensaver)
  • 1 Nameless Hammer Thing(Sonic Pocket Adventure)
  • 1 Egg Hammer Tank(Sonic Advance)
  • 1 EggHammerTankII(Sonic Advance 2)
Yes, that's how the name is written in the Time Attack menu and on at least one wiki, so I'm going with it.

Also, Sonic Advance 2 gives Sonic(and friends) a LOT of walk/run frames. This is, mind you, ignoring the 8 frame "look up at Cream" and 8 frame "Look back at Cream" animations, and other potential variants. As tempted as I am, I'm not doing "All the Sonic Movement Sprites"
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Wow this is such a huge improvement, I wasn't too excited about seeing another sonic advance so fast but it's really impressive.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

At last, time for Sonic Advance 2! This game is my least favorite in the Advance series, but I still think it's fun. Hope you enjoy it, despite some possible later jank!!
This video does a pretty good job at explaining my views on it: https://youtu.be/hIo3Gi7Tn2A
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

I played Advance 3 as a kid and Advance 1 a few months ago but this is totally blind for me. By the look of it so far I see a lot more of the style of future Dimps games here than in either of the others, it's fascinating.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

Sonic Advance 2 was developed, just like its predecessor, by Dimps with distant assistance from Sonic Team. According to Yuji Naka, Dimps began conceptual design for the game the second Sonic Advance was finished, with full development work beginning in February 2002.

Feedback from testers had complained that the original Sonic Advance was 'a bit slow', so the team decided to increase the game's sense of speed significantly, and to make this happen, the zones were made six times larger. Work from start to finish took only a brisk eight months, thanks to reusing Sonic Advance 1's engine (with some tweaking and improved animations).

The game was also made more 'mechanical' according to the developers, but what 'mechanical' actually meant they refused to divulge.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yep. This is pretty much the one where more modern Sonic gets mixed into classic, and they won't be looking back. I think it's still an okay game, but the flaws are going to be way more obvious here than they were in the original Advance.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

who the heck is cream???

please don't disrespect my favorite sonic character, tie fighter on a popsicle on a pair of corner blocks
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

cream and her little flying friend, ice
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

I love Sonice Advance 2! It's flawed as heck but I still adore it. The music, the levels and especially all the little animations instill giant nostalgia into me. Doing tricks in the air never gets old, and I like Cream so I appreciate this game for bringing her into the world.

I never bothered doing 100% myself though. I hope that doesn't ultimately sour the experience too bad. I mean it'll probably sour things at least a good bit, but hopefully not entirely?!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Since Hot Crater was briefly shown in today's video reminding me I sorta wanted to do this, I'll go off on this now, but boy does the GBA audio output suck. For various reasons, the GBA didn't have a dedicated sound chip/hardware, and used CPU cycles to process audio, and could only output 8-bit audio at a max sample rate of ~32kHz (for reference, CD audio is 160bit with a 44.1kHz sample rate), though apparently some games used even lower sample rates.

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?t=19688&p=246166 https://www.reddit.com/r/chiptunes/comm ... gba_sound/

What's worse is that it turns out that that for games that use the Media Player 2000 sound Engine (aka Sappy), the instrument samples in the ROM are actually of a decent quality. Thanks to tools like agbplay, you can actually hear the music in a much higher quality than what the GBA will actually output:

https://github.com/ipatix/agbplay

There is work being done in mGBA currently to have the higher-quality audio play in realtime (the "XQ Audio" option), unfortunately, it's still WIP, and for most games doesn't work correctly yet. Shame it doesn't fully work yet, as the GBA's audio can sometimes be really grating IMO.

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comm ... 2/eous9w0/
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

It's definitely not perfect, but I still have a (heavily nostalgic and totally biased) soft spot for the chip. Just wish GBA games didn't rely so much on "is static an instrument?".
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

I beat the Sonic game for SAdv2 and I don't think I ever used tricks. Mind you, past a certain level (y'all know which one) there was some jank to be had for sure. Also, had to savescum the final boss a whole bunch, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the tricks or with me being bad.
ImageImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Next time: My favorite zone in all of Sonic.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage