(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag
First name: beatboxingboo

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

Been playing Escape From Tarkov lately. It's so, like, stress inducing, but at the same time so satisfying haha.

Bad night tonight, though. Just can't seem to get a good raid in.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Cyril wrote: 3 years ago been playing thru the ratchet & clank series start to finish and decided, y'know what, let's play all the crappy post-ACIT games too so i downloaded them off the PS store

...and into the nexus came with quest for booty for free, so i'm playing that real quick first lol

it's interesting but some of the mechanics here got way improved in ACIT (why is the tether the right stick???) and the weapons feel...... weak as heck, tbh. but it's. good solid ratchet gameplay. tools is easily my least fave of the 5 mainline games though so having more of it in particular isn't especially thrilling
into the nexus now

whoah boy howdy are the levels in this game HUGE, both the full planets have taken me like an hour and a half each lol
i'm liking the weapon selection but the game does not run half as smooth as previous games in the series and it's visually a bit garish at times too
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

So I finished two side-by-side Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta Runs. One Normal, one CHAOS.

The Normal run was rather dull. Monk/Time Mage/Geomancer/Dragoon. Geomancer proved to be much more useful than I gave it credit for. And Time Mage allowed me to actually use Kaiser Knuckles, which made Monk at endgame a useful member to some degree. But it was still uninspiring because Monk and Dragoon are both kind of just there. Despite Monk, I still had to grind a ton for Almagest. A Triple Crown happened in this run, though I had to Quickleak Omega (where I spent 2 hours watching the new TAS run of Spirit Tracks). Neo Exdeath proved a bit of a challenge, though I was able to prevent Grand Cross from firing thanks to a Dragon Lance+Jump. I used Rewind a lot in some spots.

The CHAOS run was actually fun, especially because I used a Fiesta patched game which allows you to access all jobs at the start. Beastmaster/Dancer/Summoner/Dancer. It was a bit of a challenge in quite a few spots, especially Sandworm. Triple Crowning this one was a mix. Omega proved a challenge: Took me 5 tries to finally kill it using only two Calms and two Summons of Ramuh (which was the only summon that could really offer damage). That said, Neo Exdeath was a cakewalk thanks to Catoblepas landing on the Almagest part, and having four Dragon Aevis deal 40k total damage on the other two parts. I think it took...5 turns? Less than 5 minutes, Almagest and Grand Cross did not fire.

Going to hold off on my next two runs (which will be Popular and PURE CHAOS, respectively) for a week. Might play something else in the meantime. Probably start Bully?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Nast

Post by Nast »

Been banging my head against Road Rash II and finally completed it yesterday. First impressions were pretty bad - I imagine it looks fairly impressive for a Genesis game, but the framerate is pretty abysmal and the controls are kind of unresponsive. But I managed to adjust somehow?? And man, when you get a good run going it's exhilarating. There's so many things that demand your attention, so many obstacles requiring very quick reflexes, and both cops and competing racers to worry about, who get especially aggressive in the later races. Managing to weave through it all and mantain your speed while you're at it makes you feel like you're on top of the world.

That said, yeah this game is super jank. Attacking opponents reliably is difficult due to the framerate, you can get knocked off your bike way too easily for seemingly no reason, and your view of incoming obstacles can get blocked by the road, making them pretty much undodgeable on your first try. It's hard enough to go a whole 6 minute race without getting busted or destroying your bike, let alone doing well enough to actually win. But hey I did it and I never have to play it ever again lol
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

All the Sonics has made me go and re-play Sonic Unleashed (Wii/PS2 version). I never beat the game back in the day, and I'm planning on doing it now.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

So Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 is really good. It's basically more of Castlevania III with a new secondary cast. Some levels seem cheap at first, but the game's designed in mind for you to switch party members on the fly that it becomes more of a case of who to use and when. There's a pretty clear winner in which one is best designed for certain levels though, and they're my favorite to use because of their abilities.

It's totally the dog in the mech.

But yeah. Having a blast going through this one.
Nast

Post by Nast »

Kleetus wrote: 3 years ago All the Sonics has made me go and re-play Sonic Unleashed (Wii/PS2 version). I never beat the game back in the day, and I'm planning on doing it now.
The Wii version was the one I had growing up. Looking back I'm kinda baffled at how they decided to implement the boost. It's especially weird because this version was made by Dimps, who pretty much invented the boost in its original form, so I wonder what they were thinking.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

NastCF wrote:
Kleetus wrote: 3 years ago All the Sonics has made me go and re-play Sonic Unleashed (Wii/PS2 version). I never beat the game back in the day, and I'm planning on doing it now.
The Wii version was the one I had growing up. Looking back I'm kinda baffled at how they decided to implement the boost. It's especially weird because this version was made by Dimps, who pretty much invented the boost in its original form, so I wonder what they were thinking.
What do you mean? I haven't played a lot of boost gauge Sonic so I don't have a vary good frame of reference.
Nast

Post by Nast »

Kleetus wrote: 3 years ago What do you mean? I haven't played a lot of boost gauge Sonic so I don't have a vary good frame of reference.
Oh, my bad. So in every other game, holding the boost button increases your speed and gradually consumes your gauge as long as you've got the button held. Let go of the button and you'll stop boosting. But in Unleashed Wii/PS2, the boost gauge is divided into chunks, and tapping the button consumes one whole chunk; you will then automatically boost for a fixed amount of time with no real way to stop yourself. Boosting in this game is far more dangerous than normal as a result, because once you've activated it you're committed to it until it stops on its own.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Been playing Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles lately. I had originally started this playthrough a few years ago but a (what ultimately ended in disappointment) attempt at multiplayer in this game with my brother led to me continuing this playthrough. It's alright, but I think it's perhaps a little too hands off because the game's structure sort of makes it seem endless. Before a couple days ago, I had seen almost nothing past Year 2 so for the most part it's been blind. I did look up some things on how to access the final dungeon because that's somewhat important when it comes to beating the game and I really wasn't sure. It's really annoying how reliant the game is on the GBA though, I can't do multiplayer with my brother because we only have one GBA and I wish you didn't need the GBA to have a minimap or to see what the bonus point task is, which does matter as far as getting certain, useful artifacts goes.
I'm on Year 5, theoretically I could go end the game right now, but I'd need to

fix the Sluice so I can cross the Jegon River again

first. And well, since I don't have a Life Ring atm it'd be down to getting lucky with magicite drops if I'm not mistaken.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

I played a full Sonic run of Sonic Advance 2 for fun last night. It felt really unfulfilling, and I get the sense raocow's going to get extremely frustrated with certain parts of this game. Might try to play 100%, but I'm unsure.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That one's definitely a game where you need a map in advance (no pun intended this time) to see where the heck the SP Rings are at. It's even worse in Advance 3 which along with the awful gotcha traps all over the place level design is why I've never beaten that one.

But I did beat Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 last night. Game is ridiculous at the end in the good ways, but it does have both the good and bad design decisions that NES platformers like it had back in the day. Wouldn't be surprised if some people just stop after Episode 1 with the game being too precise later on, but I pushed through and got a good ten hours out of it this past week for the true ending. Love Castlevania III, and this game plays like it just like the first one did. It's just even more unforgiving if you make a mistake is all.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

got gear, talked to postof about getting the propeller screw made at godrif, got the propeller screw blueprints and i'm heading to the neo-gami gami devil's castle and i beat sonic heroes as team rose by playing through final fortress and egg emperor
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Doing a solo run of DKC: Tropical Freeze for the first time, and while it's clicking better, I just don't think it's on the same level of fun as the SNES games or Returns. Guess I'm just not a fan of collect this specific banana trail for a puzzle piece style of gameplay. Returns did that, too, but it didn't feel as ridiculous. Plus they do that secret exit at the end of level trick a bit too much for my liking.

That said, I like that Dixie and even Cranky are playable as they make certain stages way more fun. Diddy honestly feels like he's the worst partner to have around since he can only hover forward in a game where going a bit more vertical helps you out.
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

I beat Final Fantasy 5 yesterday. That's the first FF game I've ever beaten, or even really played any significant amount of.

It was pretty great! I really really loved the Job system and I'm kinda sad to know that it's not more common in the series, but I guess I can look forward to other innovations and such.

I'm gonna call it here without really any experience with the other FF games: I bet this one ranks as one of the best. It just feels so good. But, maybe they all feel like that! I've mostly played FF1 before, but that was on the NES so I had to deal with the "spell slot" system, which frankly I really hated (and I know that it's like from D&D but man, it feels SO bad in this videogame).

It's one of my goals to play all of them (minus 11 and 14, most likely) at some point in my life, and I guess I can check this one off the list! Dunno which I'll play next, though. Maybe I'll just start from FF1 on the Gameboy.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Awoo »

BeatBoxingBoo wrote: 3 years ago I beat Final Fantasy 5 yesterday. That's the first FF game I've ever beaten, or even really played any significant amount of.

It was pretty great! I really really loved the Job system and I'm kinda sad to know that it's not more common in the series, but I guess I can look forward to other innovations and such.

I'm gonna call it here without really any experience with the other FF games: I bet this one ranks as one of the best. It just feels so good. But, maybe they all feel like that! I've mostly played FF1 before, but that was on the NES so I had to deal with the "spell slot" system, which frankly I really hated (and I know that it's like from D&D but man, it feels SO bad in this videogame).

It's one of my goals to play all of them (minus 11 and 14, most likely) at some point in my life, and I guess I can check this one off the list! Dunno which I'll play next, though. Maybe I'll just start from FF1 on the Gameboy.
If you liked the job system, I'd recommend Tactics or maybe even 3 since from my understanding it also uses the job system. Tactics for sure, and that's my favorite of the series.

Ff1 Dawn of Souls for GBA is an excellent port of it, too. I didn't find the spell slot too irritating, since there's a lot of variety and really not any wrong way to play the game. Experiment and find out what works best for you! :pal:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

BeatBoxingBoo wrote: 3 years ago I beat Final Fantasy 5 yesterday. That's the first FF game I've ever beaten, or even really played any significant amount of.

Nice! You play the Four Job Fiesta? If you haven't, it's going on now until the end of August. It's good stuff!

Speaking of which...I'm doing my second round of Fiesta runs. So far, I have a Pure Chaos run with Geomancer/Freelancer/White Mage/???, and a Popular Run with Ranger/Geomancer/???/???. I'm not going to lie, having 3 of my 4 runs so far feature Geomancer...it's getting a bit long in the tooth. At least the former has me getting access to all equipment (plus White Mage means I don't have to grind as much), and Ranger is extremely powerful in the end game.

I also played completed Sonic Advance 2...well, at least the True Ending (I'm not going to

unlock Amy

because screw that noise). I'm not going to lie, both the boss battles and getting the special stages was painful, and I needed to save-scum for my sanity.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

Awoo wrote: 3 years ago
If you liked the job system, I'd recommend Tactics or maybe even 3 since from my understanding it also uses the job system. Tactics for sure, and that's my favorite of the series.

Ff1 Dawn of Souls for GBA is an excellent port of it, too. I didn't find the spell slot too irritating, since there's a lot of variety and really not any wrong way to play the game. Experiment and find out what works best for you! :pal:

I'll have to give Tactics a shot at some point for sure. My bf (who got me to play FF5) says that the job system in 5 is like 3's but not total ass (his words not mine).

Also, yeah, he says that Dawn of Souls is the best way to experience FF1 and 2. I thought that they ditched the spell slot system for a more modern MP system in DoS?
thatguyif wrote: Nice! You play the Four Job Fiesta? If you haven't, it's going on now until the end of August. It's good stuff!
I didn't do FJF cause I wanted a mostly unadulterated experience for my first playthrough (besides my bf saying "Babe, stop trying to fight Omega. You can't beat it right now."), but I definitely plan on participating next year. I'm probably not going to this go-around just cause I've got some other stuff I want to play. Maybe we should make a thread for it, that might be kind of fun!

EDIT: Also, have you guys seen that FF5 like... rogue-lite thing? I think it's called FF5AC or something?
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Awoo »

BeatBoxingBoo wrote: 3 years ago Also, yeah, he says that Dawn of Souls is the best way to experience FF1 and 2. I thought that they ditched the spell slot system for a more modern MP system in DoS?
Yeah, there's an MP system, guess it's quite a bit different from the NES/Famicom version now that I really look at it
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

BeatBoxingBoo wrote: 3 years ago
thatguyif wrote: Nice! You play the Four Job Fiesta? If you haven't, it's going on now until the end of August. It's good stuff!
I didn't do FJF cause I wanted a mostly unadulterated experience for my first playthrough (besides my bf saying "Babe, stop trying to fight Omega. You can't beat it right now."), but I definitely plan on participating next year. I'm probably not going to this go-around just cause I've got some other stuff I want to play. Maybe we should make a thread for it, that might be kind of fun!

EDIT: Also, have you guys seen that FF5 like... rogue-lite thing? I think it's called FF5AC or something?
Fair enough :3

FF5AC...news to me. I've only heard about the rando, Career Day. Looking it up, it seems like it's a Japanese dev who made the hack, so that's probably why I haven't heard anything. Interesting that they integrated Sealed Temple creatures into the hack, but I dunno.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Sporty McSportsports here with an update on NFL games in the late 90s. GameDay 99 (PS1) had some good defensive AI at times but was prone to giving up a big play when it was your turn to make a big stop even on the second lowest difficulty of four. You could turn down how often teams passed or ran, but the disparity between one level or the other would cause the computer to go from a bit too much to way too easy. Still, this one was fun enough that getting blown out 40-20 in my first game only for my scores to stay around the same point while there's fluctuated all throughout has to mean something, right? Right. Good guys won a tight Super Bowl contest that came down to the last drive getting stopped. I can't even remember the score because there was another game to talk about!

In other news, Madden NFL 97 (SNES) is the game where no one knows how to play defense. Did you complete a pass? Good. That's a 50/50 shot of it being a touchdown! Boom! Oh, run it up the middle or do the old run backwards and then around all the defense? Sure, why not? Suddenly, the game knew how to play a halfway decent contest for the Super Bowl which saw the good guys beat the other good guys that I was not playing as 24-21 on a last-second field goal after choking away a 21-7 lead earlier in the quarter. Good thing the AI broke or it would have been a toss up in overtime! Ah, I love that patented "No Defense" strategy from sports games that year on the SNES! NHL 97 was the same way!

And there you have it! This is Sporty McSportsports signing off and reminding you to edit your videos even more than you are now and stop playing sports games when you're supposed to be taking a ten-minute break instead of a few hours! Sports? SPORTS.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Managed to get the first two Dragon Orbs in Popolocrois (PS1 version only!!!!) over the past week or so.

First one is obtained by returning to the bottom of the Godrif Mine and taking the Soot Covered Stone to the Fountain of Gallop in Flornel Forest and the Fairy of the Fountain will restore it into a Dragon Orb.

Second one is obtained by beating a super hard boss, the Ukky King. After you beat the golden ape, it can be found right in the back of his "throne" of sorts. It's really hard so I've included some strategy walkthrough for when the translation patch comes out:
Advice: Level up Narcia and Pietro until they have Wind Blaze and Heat Blaze respectively (Defense up and Attack up from what I can tell), cast em on White Knight and have him just go at Ukky King with Jump Slashes (Jump-giri), keeping his Guts up with Kiais. All the while, Narcia clears the Ukky Lords and Ukkies with Holy Burst, whilst staying away from enemy damage using Mist Screen. Pietro can provide backup with Heal Water (for HP), Cure Water (for the status effects) and Saint Arc (for damage dealing), alongside Narcia's Heal Rain. If necessary, use Healing Branches (Iyashi no Eda) (or better healing items if you have enough of said healing items) and Dragon Tears (Ryuu no Namida) to keep everyone alive.
Third one is obtained by going to the Monster Village nearby Canarisia and talking to the little ghost nearby the house in the southern end of the village (south-west in the player's perspective), next to the bridge where the monsters are brawling. He'll ask if you want to enter the Monster Tournament. Say yes and Pietro will battle alone for a few rounds. The rounds get tougher as they go along! I'm still working on it personally, the Golem beat me up!

It's a fun game but I'm also hankering to start another game. C'est la vie. (I can't always be saying shou ga nai, yo!)

thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago I also played completed Sonic Advance 2...well, at least the True Ending (I'm not going to

unlock Amy

because screw that noise). I'm not going to lie, both the boss battles and getting the special stages was painful, and I needed to save-scum for my sanity.
Getting Amy isn't hard if you use a walkthrough for the SP Rings. The special stages are literally just racking up the multiplier on the ring counter. Just run around getting rings and you'll win eventually.

Now whether anyone wants to do that is something else entirely.
Image Image
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago
thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago I also played completed Sonic Advance 2...well, at least the True Ending (I'm not going to

unlock Amy

Getting Amy isn't hard if you use a walkthrough for the SP Rings. The special stages are literally just racking up the multiplier on the ring counter. Just run around getting rings and you'll win eventually.

Now whether anyone wants to do that is something else entirely.
That I had to use a walkthrough is the problem. In older games, getting the special stages didn't require jumping through so many hoops. Plus, racking up that multiplier is actually kind of difficult, because the controls are super finicky and the window between rings can be short. If it were not so aggravating, I would've made the effort.

And let's consider this: I save-scummed and rewound my way to the emeralds. raocow will likely not take this route. Considering that he

has to get the Emeralds as Sonic to unlock the true final boss

, we're in for a world of pain.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I've been playing Super Mario RPG
Its way easier than I remembered, for sure
I can't believe I never realized how useful Geno Boost is
Also wow is there some overpowered equipment

I also did a Grand Master playthrough of Jedi Fallen Order
It was very fun, although it didn't feel like a huge increase in difficulty over just Master
Some enemies definitely got more difficult, but I feel like the bosses didn't get much harder
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Played quite a bit of Popolocrois Monogatari over the past few hours. Got the third Dragon Orb in the Monster Village after a few attempts. The Golem was the final enemy. Then I went to the House at the Cape to get the Dragon Saber (a special attack, couldn't use it because it missed lol), went through the Neo Gami Gami Devil Castle (or Mini Devil Castle as the map calls it), then the Ghost Ship and now I've gone from a small detour in the Castaway Village to reach Bryonia. Sabor is cute, but so is Postof tbh

thatguyif wrote: That I had to use a walkthrough is the problem. In older games, getting the special stages didn't require jumping through so many hoops. Plus, racking up that multiplier is actually kind of difficult, because the controls are super finicky and the window between rings can be short. If it were not so aggravating, I would've made the effort.

And let's consider this: I save-scummed and rewound my way to the emeralds. raocow will likely not take this route. Considering that he

has to get the Emeralds as Sonic to unlock the true final boss

, we're in for a world of pain.
don't complain to me, im not sega or raocow. i just like the game

your complaints are valid though, not saying they're not. i just do not care about how raocow will handle anything because that's not my problem lmao
Image Image