(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Nast

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Nast »

I beat the Wily Tower mode in Wily Wars ages ago and never really commented on it. It's fine. I like the idea of remixing different elements of the three games but they never got very clever with their setups. Some segments are pretty much lifted as is from the original games. I liked the inclusion of alternate paths in some of the levels, since it added a bit of replayability, and some of the bosses were pretty interesting.

My casual Sonic Adventure 2 replay eventually evolved into a 100% completion playthrough, and it went surprisingly smooth. The hunting and mech stages were a bit of a struggle, but nothing too painful. My favorite part was probably exploring the stages and discovering things I'd never seen before. Final Rush in particular has so many cool shortcuts I never knew about.

Really the worst offender to me was the mandatory Chao stuff - I don't mind making intermittent visits to the garden inbetween stages, but by the time I'd A-ranked everything my Chao was still not good enough to clear all the races. I ended up using the infinite animal glitch to get that over with.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Played some more Popolocrois Monogatari a few days back. Made it through Godrif and Canarisia and wound up in the Godrif Mines. Rescued Naguro, then grinded a bit to get the Lil' Gami Gami, Daruma, Bear Ornament and Maneki Neko souvenirs (already had the Pennant and Lantern). Made it to Pasela and bought a Member's Card for the Black Market. Will grind to upgrade my gear tomorrow.

Started Rockman 2 Claw, a Mega Man 2 hack by Tsukikuro- around the same day? Beat Quick Man, Bubble Man and Heat Man. Might do Flash Man next. SaGa Frontier 2 music, yo.

Started Croc: Legend of the Gobbos yesterday and I made it to stage 2-5 today. The level design feels kinda bland so far and the bosses are pretty effortless, plus the controls and camera are just jank (it was in development pre-Mario 64 I believe, but came out after), so... It's a respected game on the PSX but, I dunno, I'm not jiving with it as much as a lot of people, but it's not a bad game. A few of the five gem room bonus challenges for the final Gobbo are pretty challenging I'll give it that.

I also beat Altered Beast today. I got to Stage 5 (Golden Werewolf, the Underworld) a few days back but I put it in the backburner because tired. The stage is pretty tough! But I pulled through :) I was on my last life too, I got kinda lucky!

Also played a bit of Sonic Adventure 2 on Steam, until Hidden Base. Leveled up my Neutral Hero chao a bit too. No races beat yet.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Been playing Persona 4 Golden since it randomly lead on Steam recently. I'd only played the base Persona 4 before and ts is a huge improvement. They overhauled things quite a lot with some good quality of life improvements. I especially like the overhaul of the lucky draw system which has a lot more depth and Marie being able to sell you duplicates of skill cards you've obtained is per useful for creating well-rounded personas. (As is the fact that skill inheritance works differently and lets you choose what skills to inherit.)

They still seem to have the really irritating "protagonist getting KOed means instant game over" bullshit that the previous games had though. There's no logical reason for that being as any other character can be KOed just fine and revived. It was really irritating during the first optional boss fight since up until I got the Ares persona and had some great luck with his counter ability activating (a 10% chance) the boss would be guaranteed to ll everyone in my party except Chie during a full party-targeting multihit attack that dealt 150 damage per hit to my party of 140-220hp characters.

Edit: Waht the hell happened to this post? There were somehow entire words missing which I'm pretty sure wasn't the case when I submitted the post.
Last edited by Alice 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

yeah the megaten series in general (and persona in particular) expect you to have mastered the battle system and fusion before you fight your first boss.

good luck with that.

(I'm looking forward to being able to pick skills directly instead of having to rely on chance inheritance - I want my repel-everything-Kartikeya back, dammit!)

As for the "Leader KO means Game Over" part - I grew up with Baldur's Gate. I find it annoying but not a deal-breaker.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I've always thought such a mechanic made no sense in Persona. Like, why can't anyone use a Revival Bead or something? Are they that dependent on the protagonist's orders that they cease to function when he dies? For what's it's worth anyway, Persona 1 and 2 don't have that mechanic thankfully; P1 and Eternal Punishment would be much more unfair otherwise. Since Innocent Sin is like the easiest game on the planet it wouldn't matter for that one. It makes a little more sense in mainline because there's often only one human in the party and the rest are demons that are summoned from your COMP so if you get KOd they'd go away.

Doesn't make it any less annoying though.

I played Tales of Berseria again atfter not touching it for a while. Battles are still as boring as ever, but at least I feel comfortable auto-battling them unlike when I played Vesperia. The game is very firmly "it's okay" with only ranking slightly higher than Vesperia. I haven't beaten it yet so that opinion could change, but I kind of doubt it. Music is typical bland, forgettable Tales of series stuff, so yeah.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

It also made a degree of sense in Persona 3's The Journey, since the Main Character is the field commander and the party members are uncontrollable. I haven't played P3FES's The Answer yet, and it makes no sense in Persona 4 or games using that version of the One More engine since party members are controllable.

(I would prefer to see it as a difficulty-based option rather than a flat always-on-or-off thing - the Q side-series got it exactly how I like it since Leader Game Over is restricted to the highest difficulties)
Alice

Post by Alice »

raekuul wrote: 3 years agoyeah the megaten series in general (and persona in particular) expect you to have mastered the battle system and fusion before you fight your first boss.

good luck with that.

(I'm looking forward to being able to pick skills directly instead of having to rely on chance inheritance - I want my repel-everything-rtikeya back, dammit!)

As for the "Leader KO means Game Over" part - I grew up with Baldur's Gate. I find it annoying t not a deal-breaker.
Persona 3: FES was my first game in the series so I'm used to the battles being difficult. It was just really frustrating to game over despite having a character reliably survive the boss' attack and having plenty of healing and revival items.

And agreed on the picking skills thing. It's so freaking convenient. I've already had multiple personas who possessed at least the base level skills for all four main elements. Currently most of my main personas have 1-2 second level single target elemental skills and typically have the ma____ version of the base level for 2-4 elements. Makes things a lot more convenient, especially when my main three personas all have high stats in one or more stat. (Most notably my Lamia with her multiple resistances and really high magic stat.)
Nast

Post by Nast »

I finally got around to playing Sonic Forces recently. Beat it the other day, and am currently working towards getting all the collectibles.

I can't say I went into it without any prior knowledge, making fun of this game is pretty much a meme in the Sonic community after all. But I didn't expect it to leave me feeling so... I dunno, empty? It looks pretty, the music's ok, I guess it can be sorta fun if you want to turn off your brain for a little, but other than that there's just nothing interesting here. It's functional but it's the bare minimum of a Sonic game.

If I had to praise it for something, I guess I like how explorable some of the levels are. That said it's the kind of exploration where you are locked onto a path via dash pads / automated sequences and walled off from backtracking, so...
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

NastCF wrote: 3 years ago I can't say I went into it without any prior knowledge, making fun of this game is pretty much a meme in the Sonic community after all. But I didn't expect it to leave me feeling so... I dunno, empty? It looks pretty, the music's ok, I guess it can be sorta fun if you want to turn off your brain for a little, but other than that there's just nothing interesting here. It's functional but it's the bare minimum of a Sonic game.
This and the uh, "story", are why this game got the kicking from the fandom it did. It's not actually a bad game, but it's mediocre with relatively high production values, and the coup de grâce, came out right after Mania.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

So I finished Link's Awakening Remake. I had some quibbles with the game—namely, the localization lost quite a bit of the quirky aspects that were part of the original's charm—but I still really liked it. And the ending gave me the feels...

Kind of wished they went went with the original secret ending rather than the DX secret ending

I still have to do the Gold Chamber Dungeons, and the last Trendy Game item, but I'll get that done over the next week. I might come back later this year to do Hero Mode because the game was a smidge on the easy side (I finished deathless, and had only one serious encounter).

With that out of the way, Fiesta is NOW
I'm doing two simultaneous runs: A Chaos Run, and a Normal Run.
Last edited by thatguyif 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Nast

Post by Nast »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 3 years ago This and the uh, "story", are why this game got the kicking from the fandom it did. It's not actually a bad game, but it's mediocre with relatively high production values, and the coup de grâce, came out right after Mania.
This is true. I'd also make the argument that the controls are a little botched across all characters, especially Classic Sonic. Being juxtaposed against Mania of all things didn't do it any favors.

"None of this is good, Vector. That's why it's called war."
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I've played a bunch of Judgment.
I've gotten up to Chapter 6.
It's really good.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Still chipping away at Witcher 3.
I was doing this one quest where you go into this tower that has tough security measures, spawning golems and beasts to kill you. Then at the end you find out the whole thing was just building up to this punchline:
https://i.imgur.com/7E9knO0.jpg

Well played
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Played through all of Saints Row: The Third this week. Would've enjoyed this one a lot more in 2011 before GTA V was a thing, but it was still a silly, fun time. It's also one of the most immature M-rated games I think I've ever played.

I'm also about ready to beat my first ever MLB game in Ken Griffey Jr. Presents on the SNES. Been playing that through half the spring and the first part of summer here. Since you can't simulate games, it got kind of tiring at times as a full season is 162 of them. Even at 15-20 minutes per game on average, that's over fifty hours played. Baseball season, y'all. And with an edit, it's over!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Finished off the base game in Witcher 3. Ended up taking me about 81 hours according to Steam, it's pretty impressive how much content they crammed in there.
And luckily the Steam summer sale just started so I was able to grab both the DLCs for like $10. I'll be starting those soon
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Owned it for years and on two gaming devices, but I finally started up Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 this afternoon. I'm not going to get used to the text being on screen during levels during my first run and wish the game had a dub since it feels necessary to understand what's being said. Can't really be reading when the levels and especially boss fights are going at a breakneck pace.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Moving on to Pokemon Moon now that I'm (finally) done with Black.

On the one hand, I can very clearly see why Gen 5 is as beloved as it is (and it was nice seeing some of my Kalos mainstays in their original context!). At the same time, did they have to make the same mistake they made with Gen 2 by locking half of the content and half of the regional pokedex behind finishing the main story?

Also working on Disgaea DS and Powder on the side, to reduce the Pokemon Burnout that I was feeling during Black version (seriously, never try playing all the pokemons in a row)
Alice

Post by Alice »

I accidentally my into an enormous upgrade in Persona 4 Golden. Turns out that I'm already strong enough to defeat the Reaper.
Though I'm not exactly lacking in power. Her skills are Die For Me!, Megidolaon, Maziodyne, Maragidyne, Vorpal Blade, Dark Boost, High Counter (or whatever the highest is), and Endure Light. And while they're a lot wear I have Thor, Anubis, and Cybele to cover the stuff she doesn't cover.

Edit: What the hell was that weird sequence of events? Letters in my post kept disappearing and every time I edited to fix it, new characters would disappear.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Got through Gunvolt's half of Azure Striker Gunvolt 2, but there's a second playable character in this one, and I'm going to get through it eventually... just as soon as I catch more of these new bugs in Animal Crossing.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I finished Judgement
It was incredible
What a great ride
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Beat Gunvolt 2. Better gameplay than the first thanks to a more forgiving scoring system, pretty good stage design, but the challenge is on the low side thanks to how easily it can be to evade taking damage if you know when to attack and when not to. Only major problem I had with it was some very noticeable slowdown when reloading as Copen. Everything else ran smoothly, and the three-phase boss fights continue to be the best thing about these games.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

And playing Gunvolt 2 caused me to go through the shorter but just as fun spin-off game with Copen called Gunvolt Chronicles. If you like Mega Man X's whole air dash deal including diagonal ones with the art style of the Zero and ZX games, this one should click with you. It's got fun special weapons, good boss fights, and just felt like a full game even though I only put in four hours on it compared to Gunvolt 2's fifteen.

There's bonus content to play, but I'm good for now. Nearly twenty hours of those games in the last couple weeks is plenty. Besides, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 is out tomorrow! See you there.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

After a long time of not playing many video games, I got back to, and completed Mega Man Battle Network 2. At the moment I don't really feel like doing any of the post-game stuff.
Towards the end, it becomes the most "power of friendship shonen anime" thing ever and I kind of dig the cheesiness at parts.
I probably mentioned this last time I posted about the game but it's really interesting looking at this piece of media from nearly two decades ago and seeing what people thought the internet would be like, both because it got so many things hilariously wrong while also getting things disturbingly on point.
One of the characters doesn't trust people in person, and prefers interacting online because people show what their true character while given anonymity.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

been playing thru the ratchet & clank series start to finish and decided, y'know what, let's play all the crappy post-ACIT games too so i downloaded them off the PS store

...and into the nexus came with quest for booty for free, so i'm playing that real quick first lol

it's interesting but some of the mechanics here got way improved in ACIT (why is the tether the right stick???) and the weapons feel...... weak as heck, tbh. but it's. good solid ratchet gameplay. tools is easily my least fave of the 5 mainline games though so having more of it in particular isn't especially thrilling
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Finished the Blood & Wine expansion in Witcher 3 tonight. It seems like it could branch off into 2 paths, so I'm considering reloading back to before that split and seeing what the other one offers, though I could also leave it as a surprise for future playthroughs.
I went with the one where you break Syanna out of captivity to confront Dettlaff. Some of the fairytale land stuff was kinda fun, but it seemed like a huge detour completely unrelated to the bigger picture. I feel like maybe the other path tells a more cohesive story.
I think technically you're supposed to do the Hearts of Stone expansion first (and I'm probably gonna be super over-leveled for it now) but I went into Blood and Wine first because it has the blacksmith that can craft the fully upgraded gear and I wanted to get that ASAP.