(shouting)

Half-Life 2 - Episode 2 - Unfamiliar Ceilings

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Half-Life 2 - the brigde is out

Post by Awoo »

Chirei wrote: 3 years ago Image
It means they carry a shotgun

and are maybe related to the Combine Elite that show up later in the white armor with similar arm band pieces?

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Petzi

Post by Petzi »

When the "spoilers and backseat gaming" thread was created, I wasn't really watching any of those let's play, but man do I feel it with Half-Life. I guess the more popular the game is, the bigger the problem becomes.

You know it's getting out of hand when raocow mentions it 2 or 3 times in a single video ^.^'
Oui oui. Je suis très jambon.
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

Imo, it doesn't have to be popular. It's worse if the game is cryptic. Now imagine a popular and cryptic game being played. :monstrosity:
Petzi

Post by Petzi »

"Cryptic" as in, not everything is immediately obvious to the player?
Oui oui. Je suis très jambon.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

Petzi wrote: 3 years ago "Cryptic" as in, not everything is immediately obvious to the player?
The real la-mulana starts here
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Dark Hunter

Re: Half-Life 2 - raos;Gate

Post by Dark Hunter »

*unplugs battery*

raocow: Pff, don't need that!

Me: *facepalm*
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Half-Life 2 - Butt Gummer's Survival School

Post by Leet »

Hmm... this performance makes me want to install the game and get the achievement for clearing Sandtraps without touching the sand, to experience what the level was actually like in my memory.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

...why the heck did my phone autocorrect "Burt" to "Butt"? I'd change it if it weren't so accidentally funny
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

raocow the spawn camper. Just kill enemies the instant they appear.

And we finally have a proper gunship battle!

"They put those items way over there... it's just a trap, to entice you."

Hmm, if only you had a tool that could grab far away objects and call them to you... nyoro~n

But, well, I will say that's probably the fastest I've ever seen someone do "Sandtraps". :lol:

The original Half-Life did have one kinda-sorta vehicle section... "On A Rail". It was... not very fun. A stupid railway maze that just went on and on and on... thankfully the Black Mesa remake cut that level in half.

I do enjoy HL2's vehicle sections but it is true that the boat is somewhat more fun than the buggy.

It always amuses me to some extent that you go through so much avoiding and slaughtering antlions and then suddenly they're your friends. Still, the ability to direct antlions like that is so much fun!
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Half-Life 2: The Floor Is Lava
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
XionGaTaosenai

Post by XionGaTaosenai »

FPS Players: Get it drilled into their heads by decades of FPS gaming to want to kill every enemy that they come across
FPS Games: Design their setpieces specifically around this trained response from their playerbase
raocow: "What if I just run?"
FPS Games:

All memery aside, I've been waiting the whole let's play for this moment, specifically - I've never played any of the Half-Life games, but I watched someone else play the Nova Prospekt level back when the game was new, and as someone who really likes giant bug monsters a la Starship Troopers but gets annoyed that they're always typecast as mindless villains, seeing the bug monsters get a chance to fight on the good guy's side made this one of my favorite gaming sequences ever.

However, having not seen the rest of the game leading up to that level before, I was kind of expecting a bit more... build up to it? I always knew that you killed a boss antlion and harvested its scent glands to gain the ability to have antlions fight for you, but I guess I was expecting someone to explain what was happening beforehand, like "there's a big bug in that hole and if we harvest its glands we'll be able to tame the smaller bugs". Instead, you kind of just fight this giant space flea from nowhere, and then a vortigaunt runs up, shoves its organs into your hand, and says "the Freeman must follow" while giving zero explanation of why you're suddenly holding a bug's organs. It's fairly amusing, but I'm just kind of surprised how quickly you go from "shoot the bugs" to "the bugs are your buddies now".
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I spent so much time building bridges out of pallets using the gravity gun. So much time.
Dark Hunter

Re: Half-Life 2 - Saving Private raocow

Post by Dark Hunter »

The Combine is speaking English because these are humans you're fighting. Humans brainwashed to fight for the Combine.

You haven't actually seen any of the Combine's ruling species. Just their slaves.

This section is often the one I have the most fun with in Half-Life 2. I don't know why, exactly, but I absolutely love controlling hordes of creepy crawlies to fight for me in games.

"I AM THE BUG MASTER! GO FORTH, MY MINIONS, AND STRIKE FEAR INTO OUR ENEMIES! WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Nova Prospekt wants to battle!

I choose you, Antlion!

(throws pheropod)

Chirei can you make this
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

ano0maly wrote: 3 years ago Chirei can you make this
I actually had something in progress before I saw this comment but

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Half-Life 2 - alas, raobrood

Post by raocow »

man remember when I was wondering if the game was too easy on me and I wasn't taking things seriously
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

So, what happened with the fan is that the wood beam is too weak to jam it, as you saw.

However, what was happening with the bricks and buckets was they were jamming it, but were getting dislodged by physics a couple seconds later. That last time you did effectively jam it, so after a few seconds the fan motor broke under the strain.

I think you're intended to use the shovel, since it's easiest to shove in and break the fan, but the cinderblocks or the buckets work too. Then again, I can see people avoiding the shovel under the logic that the wooden beam broke, so obviously the shovel's handle would probably break too.

And yeah, if there ever seems to be no possible way to move forward, look for either a switch or for a vent. Gordon and vent-crawling go together like... two things that... go real good together.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Dark Hunter wrote: 3 years agoAnd yeah, if there ever seems to be no possible way to move forward, look for either a switch or for a vent. Gordon and vent-crawling go together like... two things that... go real good together.
like a microwave and a casserole
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

WHO WOULD WIN

an mit graduate with an army of immortal insects the size of a dog at his command and weapon that breaks the laws of physics

OR

a big ol fan?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
xnamkcor

Re: Half-Life 2 - raocow's biggest fan

Post by xnamkcor »

raocow has not yet memorised the sound of the pitter patter of grenades.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

So much tunnel vision but raocow couldn't see the actual tunnel (vent)
ImageImage
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

I always love Dr Breen's rant in this part. "WTF is wrong with you guys, you are a totalitarian military and you're getting your asses kicked by an untrained physicist!"
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: Half-Life 2 - laundromat city

Post by ano0maly »

So after the Resistance forces eventually reclaim Earth from Combine, they loot the technology the Overwatch forces used, which is later on deployed in response to the Omnic Crisis

It all makes sense now

Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Re: Half-Life 2 - laundromat city

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

ano0maly wrote: 3 years agothe Overwatch
I do believe their official name is "the Goof Troop Club".