(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Ashan »

Bean wrote: 4 years ago That's the hardest level to get 100 in the game to me. If you did that and can suffer through one kind of boring level late, you've got it.
I'm guessing you're referring to The Very Loooong Cave which I have been dreading
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yep. It's just mostly boring is all until the very end when you have to be fast. I never did care for the underground theme in YI anyway, so it's made worse.

Speaking of being fast, I managed to take down Super Punch-Out!! at long last after finally giving it a good go. Took a good while to figure out the final boss, but I eventually got a winning run on that whole circuit. Finished 4-3 on that one. Two of the losses to the last guy. He's got some real power behind some of those quick punches of his. Still easier than the NES one by a country mile.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: What games did you playing?

Post by Awoo »

Haven't been playing much lately, been getting pretty dang bored with my current modded Minecraft setup. I'm trying to find a decent pack but it's pretty tough these days, not sure if it'd be worth it to just make my own or try to find one that's at least tolerable and not buggy. Trying to find support for my issues is pretty much impossible, since the discord for it is inactive at worst and completely ignores me at best.

Video games, do they even exist?
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

The Very Loooong Cave didn't take near as much time as Extra 5 but it sure is boring to get all the way to the precise fall onto the boulder over lava at the end of the first segment and die, forcing you to redo several minutes of bland autoscroller. Or miss a fly guy with a red coin causing you to have to kill yourself to restart. Thankfully once I got past the first segment is was pretty smooth sailing from there, and I didn't miss any collectibles.

Something that I've been thinking about during this playthrough is how annoying 100%ing this game must have been in the GBA version which if I recall correctly, they changed the red coins to not be a different palette than the regular ones. There's quite a few locations where you're expected to spot the red coins in a mass of regular ones, so i guess they expect you to just collect every single coin to get all the red coins? Which is stupid
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Ashan wrote: 4 years agoSomething that I've been thinking about during this playthrough is how annoying 100%ing this game must have been in the GBA version which if I recall correctly, they changed the red coins to not be a different palette than the regular ones. There's quite a few locations where you're expected to spot the red coins in a mass of regular ones, so i guess they expect you to just collect every single coin to get all the red coins? Which is stupid
As someone who grew up with the GBA version they did have a different palette but it was incredibly subtle and easy to miss. IIRC.

Bean wrote: 4 years agoI never did care for the underground theme in YI anyway
smh
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Supercleared Final Fantasy! All chests, 15 Puzzle done and WarMech clear. Gave the Masamune to my White Mage. Chaos was pretty easy with my equipment and level.

Now starting Final Fantasy II NES! Got to the part where Minwu (More like MinGW no one will get this) joins you! The game's structure is very similar to Wild ARMs 2, all mission based, revolving around a headquarters location that you constantly return to. I actually kind of don't mind the level up system, it reminds me of Secret of Mana mixed with SaGa and the stat down chance adds a small element of risk, it's very fascinating. I understand people not liking the lack of control in their role-playings but I'm a weirdo lol.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Finished Yoshi's Island 100%. Kinda anticlimactic to do a fairly easy final level after Bowser but oh well. You'd think with how much focus this game had on collecting everything there'd at least be a congratulations screen for 100% but no! Enjoy some stars on the title screen!

Also, typical I couldn't even land on a flower on the final goal ring!
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

In the GBA version there's a harder and more thematically meaningful final postgame level

and also a 100% ending

If you don't want to play it and wanna just check it out:

(It's in the second video but I'm including both videos that showcase the newly added postgame levels)
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I remember hearing about the 100% ending being added but not the extra secret stages. Maybe I'll have to do a runthrough of the GBA version at some point.

I'm kinda generally not a fan of the Super Mario Advance games these days. Between the worse instrumentation in the music, compressed audio, and squished viewport you get with a GBA screen, I've never wanted to go back to them. And it's too bad they have those problems because otherwise they would probably be seen as the definition versions of the games, since they tend to do a better job of tracking completion and whatnot.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

been playing animal crossing, which is cozy
got back into ori 2 after the performance patch, which tbh has only marginally improved performance for me but eehHHH i wanna finish it because the game is really good besides, though it is not as good as ori 1
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I beat Star Fox for my first time today (route 1, even though I wasn't aware what the routes were until looking it up just now). I actually owned this on SNES as a kid and I did play it occasionally but I could never get past the 2nd or 3rd stage. But the biggest reason I didn't like playing it was because the picture of Andross' floating head and hands on the game over screen scared the hell out of me.

It's neat they managed to pull of a 3D game on the SNES but it... doesn't really hold up these days. It's super hard to tell depth and what's going on, and it runs at the bare minimum framerate for it to probably still be considered "animation" rather than a "powerpoint". Most of the time I got hit I couldn't even tell what hit me because the game occasionally turns into a mess of flashing shapes.

I had more trouble with Phantron than the actual final boss which was weird.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Got the Goddess' Bell in Final Fantasy II,

Josef is dead :c

. I liked Josef. Currently grinding a bit to get some MP goin'. Grinding magic in SaGa always feels super awkward for me because it's a period of changing from using high damaging melee attacks to low damage magic attacks with limited "ammo" until you get enough MP/JP and a high enough magic stat (INT etc) and it is h and it is no different in FFII. Thankfully I only care about MP and Magic Strength and not grinding every spell to 15? So I'm just spamming Sap/Anti on the characters and hoping they get drained, it has the biggest MP growth out of any spell (THANKS FF WIKI).

Everyone's dumb as rocks though, intelligence is really low. Don't feel much difference in spells but shrug
Image Image
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

ULTRA Hyper YESSSSS!! I finally 1cc NORMAL clear Touhou 14 Double Dealing Character. Kijin Seija, You are a garbage, hentai, sukebe, bakemono.... You gave lots of "BONUS FAILED..." to me. I practiced her spell card Turnabout "Reverse Hierarchy" 118 times. ONE HUNDRED EIGHTEEN TIMES but I got BONUS FAILED.... I hate you completely. I had full hearts before I met you. Please recommend a Touhou STG game to play next time.
Current 1cc Normal Clear: 8(IN), 14(DDC), 15(LoLK), 16(HSi4S)

Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Re: What games are you reading?

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

i've been replaying Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time for the fourth time recently, and it's still quite good. i decided to adopt my team gimmick from a recent Pokémon Crystal playthrough where i only caught girl pokémon and named them for fictional women who are tangentially related to something about the pokémon. it's very silly but very fun!

the game 100% called me out when i got hasty in the personality quiz. i'd go into detail but my memory bad and i can't find the personality descriptions online
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I tried route 2 in Star Fox and game over'd in Venom because there's a boss that crushes you and Falco keeps telling me to brake so I brake but then it just crushes me anyway

edit: I tried again and once again blew through all my lives and credits on this stupid boss. I looked up how to dodge when he tries to crush you and apparently you indeed are supposed to brake but it just doesn't work for me I guess. I don't think I like this game, it's impossible to tell what's going on, there's so much on screen, it runs at like 10 frames per second, half the time when I double tap a shoulder button to roll it doesn't work, you can clearly be hitting something with your shots and it just doesn't count, enemies will run into you, sometimes flying right in from of the side of the screen, and even though you clearly dodged them you take damage anyway.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Star Fox 64, that one ain't. I got through the first two routes okay, but I needed the save states for the third one. It gets pretty hard exactly for the reasons you said. One day, I'll play Star Fox 2 and see what it's all about, but the original is kind of just there.

Well, bought FFVII Remake. Will I play it soon? Not sure!
Nast

Post by Nast »

Just cleared all achievements in Plague of Shadows. I thought having to do three more whole runs of the game would be painful considering I didn't love it the first time around, but in reality it started growing on me the more I played. Learning the levels helped mitigate some of the frustration I had before, including what bombs work better for each situation. Instead of trying to experiment a lot and getting confused, I just stuck to the few combinations that worked for me. I ended up feeling much more in control during these runs, so I had more fun overall. Trying to speedrun the levels felt surprisingly cool, and it was especially exciting to discover new ways to just tear through bosses. Propeller Knight's stage can still go take a hike.

So yeah, even if I consider it the worst of the campaigns, I'm gonna go ahead and say it's still good. Just takes some time to really click
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Ah, I didn't play FFII today (it is 1:25 AM as of typing), but I got to the part where you recruit Leila (or Layla as Neo Demiforce calls her), heading to Deist (or Dist in the FC translation patch). Just grinded my folks to ~1100 HP, Guy's at ~1000, so he's all that's left to grind. Leila I'll just leave her mostly as is. I do like her the most of the 4th slot folk though, so I might beef her up just a smidge. I don't want to waste my time with pointless grinding though.

Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

I finished my Esuna for Corona run for FFV. It was an interesting run. It was pretty reliant on Mix for a good chunk of it, but less than I thought I would. It created a greater understanding of just how powerful the Bard is late game: After about 5 minutes of so of prep through the three continuous songs, I killed (tree) Exdeath and Neo Exdeath in about 3 minutes. Proof of my Triple Crown.

Maybe try to finish up Katamari over the next week so I can have that done at long last? I've been on and off it for a year now. Uuuugh.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks

Post by BurntTenda »

I've played a bunch of Kingdom Hearts Re:coded.
I think it probably has the best gameplay of the handheld games.
One complaint I have is that to counter you need to equip an accessory to do so.
I thought 3 was the first game that allowed you to open the menu before you retry something, but no, it's here in Re:coded!
I actually played through at Lv 15 or lower for that trophy, which was pretty easy since I was pretty thorough, so I had bunch of extra stat chips.

After that, I got all of the attack and magic commands to the CR status, which didn't take as long as I expected. It was surprisingly easy to do so.

The Olympus Coliseum is very strange, but at least it's not too hard. Especially with Strength-L and Charge-L to just casually do 6x the damage with something.

I learned that the Avatar Sector is doable alone, you just have to leave Tag Mode open, so I might go for the Avatar Collector and Sweeper trophies.

I'm not sure if I want to do the Speedrun trophies. I have gotten the first two of them, but Wonderland especially seems like it would be annoying to do in 15 minutes.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I got around to playing FFVII Remake, and I'm finding it to be a mixed bag. I knew there was going to be padding, but I wasn't expecting it to be where they've tacked it on in spots. Some of it's good along with most of the new characterization, but there's a few major sore spots for me that are probably going to interject themselves more into the game as I go along. Combat's fun enough, basically XIII's done right, and some of the regular enemies can be a challenge if you just rush in like a fool or get caught in a bad spot.

So yeah, it's Fine-al Fantasy, just not great or anything so far.
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

Hello! This is AAAA.
In this week, I 1cc Normal cleared 2 touhou STG games(Touhou 10 Mt o'Faith and Touhou 13 10 Desires) without playing Easy and practice section. These two were easy for me because I got the last spell cards. I enjoyed the game with moderate tension. My fingers trembled when I started Stage 5. I was completely blinded.
Currrent Normal 1cc Cleared: 8, 10, 13, 14, 15, 16

I'm now playing Touhou 16 Extra. 1 billion score is the goal. 1,000,000,000!! I'll defeat you, Matara Okina.

Image Image
Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Played a bit of Super Mario Bros. 3. At Desert Hill.
Image Image
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks

Post by BurntTenda »

I played through Hamtaro Ham-ham Heartbreak
It's a cute game
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

BurntTenda wrote: 3 years ago I played through Hamtaro Ham-ham Heartbreak
It's a cute game
That was a classic game from my childhood! Had a lot of fun with it; so many cute characters, and surprisingly great music, too! You should also play Ham Hams Unite for the GBC if you liked Ham Ham Heartbreak enough. It's basically the origin game for a lot of HHH's mechanics!