(shouting)

Fixed and Translated hacks

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
Jongseok

Re: Fixed and Translated hacks

Post by Jongseok »

Thanks for translating and revising Mix 5. Vip Mario 5 becomes an ancient romhack. But it was always beautiful or difficult game. I think one level's title is not translated.

The English version of MIX5 is the best translation hack when it is fixed.
Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

Jongseok wrote: 4 years ago Thanks for translating and revising Mix 5. Vip Mario 5 becomes an ancient romhack. But it was always beautiful or difficult game. I think one level's title is not translated.
Hi! Thanks for playing our translation, I'm glad that you're enjoying it so far :catplanet:

That level name is kind of a weird one: It's supposed to be a corrupted spelling of the name "Water Land".
This seems to be a sort of pattern with some level names in the VIP series, where (in Japanese) a normal level name is written in a 'corrupted' way - maybe as a way to indicate internet slang where correct grammar and spelling don't matter.
Another example would be the "Red Switch Palace" in VIP 3, which we translated as "Reh-t Swih-tsj Peh-less". Try sounding out these level names in your head, and you may see where we're coming from!

I hope you continue to have a good time with VIP 5!
this is getting laundromatic
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

It isn't really a pattern of VIP or slang, I can only remember this and the phonetic Switch Palace to do that. It seems to just be just a stylistic choice keeping in with the "shitposter vibes".

The original level title is をーたーらんD. Written normally it would be ウォーターランド, in katakana. Though I suppose you could also write it in hiragana (うぉーたーらんど) exclusively for stylistic reasons, not for normal uses of foreign words and loanwords in Japanese, it could cause confusion.

As an additional fun fact, Water Land is also the Japanese name of Dire Dire Docks. In Korean (SM64DS), it's 워터랜드.
The connection is not on purpose, however.

I hope my English is clear enough for you to understand orz
I cannot speak Korean :c
Though I'd love to learn it, Hangul seems like a lovely system ^ω^
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
PlatformKing72
wtf is a touhou anyway

Post by PlatformKing72 »

So how's the translation of VIP Mix 4 going?
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago It isn't really a pattern of VIP or slang, I can only remember this and the phonetic Switch Palace to do that. It seems to just be just a stylistic choice keeping in with the "shitposter vibes".

The original level title is をーたーらんD. Written normally it would be ウォーターランド, in katakana. Though I suppose you could also write it in hiragana (うぉーたーらんど) exclusively for stylistic reasons, not for normal uses of foreign words and loanwords in Japanese, it could cause confusion.

As an additional fun fact, Water Land is also the Japanese name of Dire Dire Docks. In Korean (SM64DS), it's 워터랜드.
The connection is not on purpose, however.

I hope my English is clear enough for you to understand orz
I cannot speak Korean :c
Though I'd love to learn it, Hangul seems like a lovely system ^ω^
Thank you for your interest in Hangul.
Now I completely understood the title 'Water Land'. Because I can read Japanese. You mean the original level name is ウォーターランド[D](Wo-ta-Rando[D]). Correct?? So that's why your translation team wrote like this. I was confused by the uppercase letter 'D' in 'LenD'. I thought it was an error or something..
Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

をーたーらんD but yes!
Image Image
AWMonopolyMan

Post by AWMonopolyMan »

Personally, I hope to see the 2nd Scarlet Devil Mario (Reimu's Challenge), fixed & translated myself one day. ;)
This Eye o' Mine
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good

Post by This Eye o' Mine »

UPDATE:
PlatformKing72 wrote: 4 years ago So how's the translation of VIP Mix 4 going?
Sorry about not replying earlier, but VIP 4 has finally been finished and it's up now.
Sayuri
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Sayuri »

I've really appreciated these fixed hacks, and YES, VIP 4! Super excited to play VIP 4 on console, finally! You're doing god's work :catplanet:
Ayami

Post by Ayami »

VIP 4 YES YES YES YES YES

Once again, thank you eternally for this amazing work you've done with the VIP series, you all deserve the heaven, members from this team!

Though... the Yoshi Coin Fix seems to be broken? I tested it several times and it ends corrupting the rom, making it crashing when any YC is collected (fortunately this wasn't a big need for me, so I disabled it and the rom went fine, but I think it's worth to mention it).
This Eye o' Mine

Shiny Ninetales wrote: 4 years ago Though... the Yoshi Coin Fix seems to be broken?
Thanks for letting me know. The cause was a simple patch conflict that didn't appear until I got everything ready for release. I've fixed it so anyone that wanted to play with the fix on, please download the hack again.
Ayami

Post by Ayami »

Here I am again. First of all sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the fix.

I have a question and a report this time.
First with the question: do you know how the princess in the VIP series is called? I'm not sure if she's ever mentioned in any of the VIPs dialogs so I'm not sure if you could know, but I guess I don't lose anything by asking. This question has got me since I'm writing an article about VIP and Wall Mix Series in a wiki, and after a personal research on the internet I found that she seems to be called "Cindelle", but I couldn't find a confirmation of this. Any information you would provide to clarify/verify this would be helpful.

And now with the report: the overworld YC counter of VIP1 has a minor oversight: it gives a counter to the level Frozen Peaks (first level to the left after Yoshi's House, in the first submap) when the level doesn't have YC at all. This is probably very minor but maybe some people may get confused due to this.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Shiny Ninetales wrote: 4 years ago First with the question: do you know how the princess in the VIP series is called?
We saw your page on SNESLab actually. I thought about going on to fix it, but I'm worried Vivi's still mad at me.

Anyway her original character is meant to be a conglomeration of tsundere stereotypes ("it's not like i like you or anything", twindrills etc), her name is just Tsundere. They just made her Peach in VIP.
Image Image
Ayami

Post by Ayami »

let me guess, maks linked it to you didn't he?
I see, then I'm going to fix it asap, thanks for the information. You know, for somebody like me who doesn't fully understand english it's hard to find sources and/or to analyze them meticulously (especially if they doesn't even exist in english, having to appeal to translations), but it's still my fault since I just trusted in some wikis (which definitely aren't the most trustworthy source) without major ascertainment. It's worth maybe to say that, by the way, any information/correction is welcome to me (if not editing the page itself, contacting me), because I'm sure not everything is 100% correct.
Now, thinking more about it, maybe "Cindelle" was an auditory missunderstood of "Tsundere"? I'm not a pronunciation expert (neither in english nor in japanese) but these sounds somewhat similar. Anyway, thanks again :D
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Shiny Ninetales wrote: 4 years ago Now, thinking more about it, maybe "Cindelle" was an auditory missunderstood of "Tsundere"? I'm not a pronunciation expert (neither in english nor in japanese) but these sounds somewhat similar.
Could be visual, too, maybe? ツンデレ vs シンデレ and all. Lots of people just learning kana struggle with that pair.
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

Shiny Ninetales wrote: 4 years ago And now with the report: the overworld YC counter of VIP1 has a minor oversight: it gives a counter to the level Frozen Peaks (first level to the left after Yoshi's House, in the first submap) when the level doesn't have YC at all. This is probably very minor but maybe some people may get confused due to this.
If you take Yoshi into the level and take the wings right at the beginning of the cave sublevel, there are five VIP coins during the bonus Yoshi flight sublevel. Since they don't respawn when you reenter the level after collecting all of them, we came to the conclusion that this bonus sublevel is an actual, real part of the level itself (as if the VIP coins were all hidden away in any other kind of secret sublevel).

However, you were not the first person to stumble upon this and find it strange, so I'm open to counterarguments. Especially since the level doesn't give you a Yoshi itself, so you need to get one from somewhere else...
this is getting laundromatic
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

FourteenthOrder wrote:
Shiny Ninetales wrote: 4 years ago Now, thinking more about it, maybe "Cindelle" was an auditory missunderstood of "Tsundere"? I'm not a pronunciation expert (neither in english nor in japanese) but these sounds somewhat similar.
Could be visual, too, maybe? ツンデレ vs シンデレ and all. Lots of people just learning kana struggle with that pair.
i thought about it earlier and it's visual yeah

if you want me to help with japanese romhack pages on sneslab in any way hmu i'm a huge nerd
i wouldn't mind helping with asm pages either if vivi's okay with me showing up.

smw related, i'd love to do stuff like disassembling square games on my spare time and mess around with translation patches but i'm still green on the former and i don't know where to start on the latter? i'll try messing around with ff4 sometime tho it should be easier

i'll tell u this? there's no real antagonist, the duder you call VIPPER is actually Daddy Cool (hammer bro duder). his name derives from a copypasta of someone shittalking this american client of theirs and his obnoxious family (his son kept saying "Daddy Cool~!" for some reason).

Daddy Cool FACT #71519: he's very good at mahjong
Image Image
Ayami

Post by Ayami »

Oh yeah, so it seems that it was a visual confusion, thanks for that.
KobaBeach wrote:if you want me to help with japanese romhack pages on sneslab in any way hmu i'm a huge nerd
i wouldn't mind helping with asm pages either if vivi's okay with me showing up.
Actually what we most need right now is help, not specific articles but in general about everything. I don't know if he's still mad (probably not) but considering you're going to help with articles (really needed) I don't think there will be any problem, even less considering the site is already opened publicly so literally everyone can register and edit. Just for the record, the VIP article wasn't even trivial, Vitor made a list of wanted articles that needs to be done and he ended putting VIP and Wall Mix there so I took the oportunity to do it (which I eventually wanted to do somewhere in spanish), so either way it would help the site in general and also for myself because it's never too late to know more about the hacks (I'm known for being a VIP fanboy, at least in Fortaleza Reznor). Vitor also wants more japanese audience in the future so writing about japanese games (including rpgs, which you love) would be also welcome.
Ryrir wrote: 4 years agoIf you take Yoshi into the level and take the wings right at the beginning of the cave sublevel, there are five VIP coins during the bonus Yoshi flight sublevel.
Oh right, you're correct, thinking it again I guess it's fine then. It may be kinda ambiguous since, considering how the Yoshi Wings bonus work, the YC aren't really part of the level itself rightfully, but nothing too major. I'm not really counterargumenting here at all, but thanks for the clarification :)
This Eye o' Mine

UPDATE: Nothing new yet. Hyper VI has been updated to fix a late-game crash in the English version. Since very little was changed, you'll probably be fine loading from a savestate made in the previous version as long as you use the same optional patch configuration (though I'm not going to guarantee it'll work; as usual hard saves will work fine).
This Eye o' Mine

After quite a while of downtime, finally a new thing!
Our translation and fix of "Romancing Mario" is now up.
This Eye o' Mine

New hack: Something Extra is now fixed, translated, and up.

We've reworked the optional patch system to be more user-friendly by using a batch file rather than rooting around in an ASM file.
If you've been using the optional patches then please check the readme for more information.
Ayami

Post by Ayami »

Thanks for keep doing your work. I've been "busy" doing another things recently so I haven't done so much smw-related things lately (including playing hacks) but I'm looking forward to Romancing Mario, seems like a good one to play.

I wonder if translating ASPE is in your plans, that's truly a hack I'd love to see translated.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Shiny Ninetales wrote: 3 years ago Thanks for keep doing your work. I've been "busy" doing another things recently so I haven't done so much smw-related things lately (including playing hacks) but I'm looking forward to Romancing Mario, seems like a good one to play.

I wonder if translating ASPE is in your plans, that's truly a hack I'd love to see translated.
It's being considered, but translating VIP6's last demo is currently our focus right now.
Image Image
Ayami

Post by Ayami »

OMG, are you serious? that's sick, I'd never imagine you would translate VIP6
now my real impatience is back for real
This Eye o' Mine

VIP6 demo translation has been uploaded.
The process to patch is slightly different this time. Out of respect for the hack still being in development there is no BPS; it's just ASM patches. A batch file is included so that all you have to do is get the actual IPS/BPS file (links in the instructions), apply it, put the ROM in a folder, and run the batch file.