(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: All Of Sh@d@w - Adventure 2 - I Put Hot Sauce On Everything, From Twinkies To MILK!

Post by Grounder »

Shadow... I beg of you... You have to... Do it to em!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: All Of Sh@d@w - Adventure 2 - I Put Hot Sauce On Everything, From Twinkies To MILK!

Post by Crow »

the chaos garden, located outside the chaos house
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

ah, radical highway, one of the most well-loved twenty second music loops in sonic history
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

the idea that voice actors should look like their characters iirc is also something yu suzuki believed in and tried to follow when he directed shenmue. we're lucky they casted english-native actors at all, really.
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

With the team in awe of their new digs, much of Sonic Adventure 2's design was just 'San Francisco Landmarks: The Videogame', with the most blatant inspiration in the steep hills of City Escape and the giant iron towers of Radical Highway taken straight from the Golden Gate Bridge. (The endless voids of darkness beneath the bridge were a popular tourist attraction in the late 90s).

One idea the team wanted in the game, but in the end could not wrestle either the Dreamcast processor nor the necessary budget, was branching pathways in the narrative, each becoming a completely different experience. In early magazine previews, one example the team provided was of Sonic being on a submarine that would begin to sink, leaving the player a choice of either trying to plug the leak and rescue the sub, or Sonic just letting it sink (though it is unknown whether this was just an example or an actual early idea in development). Whatever the case, the branching paths were dropped from the final product.

Fun Level Facts!

To find Big in Radical Highway, the second you grab the rocket to get to the second checkpoint, take a close look at the blimp flying nearby. You'll see Big hitching a ride on the wing and gawking at the street below!
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: All The E.G.G.M.E.N. - Adventure 2 - You Fool. I Have 70 ALTERNATIVE ACCOUNTS!

Post by thatguyif »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 4 years ago I stand thoroughly corrected. Wow. That's really, really dumb.

Whatever my opinion of Yuji Naka might have been before, it is currently pretty firmly in "very talented, but also a crazy diva asshole" territory thanks to the stuff brought up over the course of this thread.
Which probably explains why he works for Square-Enix now. He'd be best buds with Tetsuya Nomura (or vicious enemies...either's fine for me)
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Ah, good old Sonic games with their completely intraversable highways. I always like these types of levels. One thing I like here is all the tiny little split paths, like when you can choose to either climb up some boxes or grab a rope and get pulled up to get to the next area. It's a really minor thing, but it makes finding the optimal path while going for A ranks pretty interesting.

kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

I've got to ask, do you think you'd be willing to eventually revisit the game using the SA2 Randomizer? Not as part of "All the Sonics", but someday as it's own thing?

The randomizer changes up cutscenes, spoken lines within those cutscenes, the levels played, and even the characters you play as in those levels, with the level design adjusted so that every level is possible with your current character. This means that you might play through Iron Gate (Eggman's first level, if you forgot the name) as Sonic, or City Escape using Tails (possibly even without his mech, so he plays sort of like he did in SA1), or possibly even a level as Mech-less Eggman (who is even more restrictive, I don't think he even has an attack!) Also, with the scrambled up cutscenes, you get some pretty goofy stories if you try and take them seriously. I watched SomeCallMeJohnny stream the game, and it turned into some sort of plot where Knuckles and Eggman were running for President, which apparently involves possessing the Chaos Emeralds, and Sonic canonically dies near the end.

Personally, I just think that the levels of sheer insanity would make it worth an LP from you someday.
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

It would be a funny one-off, but as an LP? Nahhhh
Heavy Sigh

Re: Batting A Thousand - Adventure 2 - Eggman, I Found Your Weed Supplier Through Your Twitter Account, Thanks, Man

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

Sonic Adventure 2's development was underway at full speed, and May 11th, 2000 would be the day that SEGA finally confirmed all the rumours bubbling around the internet, releasing a handful of screenshots of Sonic the Hedgehog in an early version of City Escape, plus a few glamour shots of Knuckles, Dr. Eggman and, most surprisingly, the Chao Garden. Tied together with a trailer featuring the three, the Sonic fandom burned with excitement.

For about ten minutes, when someone realized something terrible: Where was Tails?

Interviews were held with Naka, since he was still technically part of the dev team despite being half a world away and working on entirely different games. Thus, all questions were met with deeply ambiguous answers, vacillitating between asking fans to "wait and see", or just saying that Tails wasn't in the game at all. As cool as the game seemed to be, this snubbing of Tails didn't sit well with many fans, and letters were constantly sent to Sonic Team USA asking for Tails to be included in the game.

Fun Level Facts!

To find Big in Egg Quarters, head to the room containing the Snake Altar, then climb to the top of the six pillars. Face the camera at the green hallway, and then look up. Close to the top of the stage, is Big, and a nice flower.
Blivsey

Re: Batting A Thousand - Adventure 2 - Eggman, I Found Your Weed Supplier Through Your Twitter Account, Thanks, Man

Post by Blivsey »

egg chamber (egg chamber) (egg chamber)

every time you play this stage, at least one key will spawn buried, forcing you to find the Pick Nails to beat the level. it's like having a required upgrade but in the most roundabout way

also now we've had two eggman stages, two rouge stages, and only one shadow stage (plus a boss). with That Black Hedgehog's modern popularity, it's easy to forget the Dark Story was designed to be about eggman and not edgeboy

and that edgeboy was supposed to die at the end and never come back

LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I didn't notice the lack of any exclamation marks in the Rouge stages until raocow mentioned it today; I imagine that might make things a bit more difficult compared to the version I'm used to. Although the Rouge stages have yet to become that difficult; as raocow pretty much figured out, this level pretty much consists of a single looping path, so if you just keep going along the only path available the radar will start pinging sooner or later.

warpio

Post by warpio »

kurt91 wrote: 4 years agoThe randomizer changes up cutscenes, spoken lines within those cutscenes, the levels played, and even the characters you play as in those levels, with the level design adjusted so that every level is possible with your current character. This means that you might play through Iron Gate (Eggman's first level, if you forgot the name) as Sonic, or City Escape using Tails (possibly even without his mech, so he plays sort of like he did in SA1), or possibly even a level as Mech-less Eggman (who is even more restrictive, I don't think he even has an attack!) Also, with the scrambled up cutscenes, you get some pretty goofy stories if you try and take them seriously. I watched SomeCallMeJohnny stream the game, and it turned into some sort of plot where Knuckles and Eggman were running for President, which apparently involves possessing the Chaos Emeralds, and Sonic canonically dies near the end.
wow it's not often that I read about something that makes me immediately go and add a bunch of videos to my watch later playlist. this sounds amazing dude thanks for sharing.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I think this story would make a lot more sense if you played Hero first. As would the gameplay because some of the Dark levels share concepts with the Hero levels but are harder.

Two observations: firstly Sonic considers any member of his species other than himself to be "fake" (except Amy???). Shadow never tried to be Sonic or anything, he just thinks there can only be one or two hedgehogs in the world.

Secondly we see the ghosts for the first time today! For some reason this game has this weird thing with these ghosts, man, and they legitimately jumpscare you like as seen here. I think they're seriously creepy, partially because of just how inexplicable they are as a running theme in this game where the plot never actually acknowledges them at all and yet they're everywhere in certain parts. It's so weird
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago I think this story would make a lot more sense if you played Hero first.
for what it's worth, I think there's something rad about experiencing a story, and then experiencing a second story that fills in some details
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

That's... what playing Hero first is!! (I mean, playing Dark first is also that, but it's not a significant statement to say about one over the other.)

Take the scene with Shadow and Sonic in this episode. From Sonic's perspective, he beats up a Metal Gear, and then this mysterious new character Shadow appears, basically his introduction scene. You don't know what he's about, but suddenly he's shown up after the boss fight.

Then later you play Dark story and see what Shadow was doing before that scene. This gives more context to it, but the scene's original purpose was clearly to introduce the character to Sonic/the player.

Playing Dark first, this Sonic character doesn't get any introduction to Shadow/the player. (Of course we know who he is because he's Sonic, but narratively speaking I don't think he's come up at all.) Nor does the destroyed MG get any introduction because we're expected to have already seen it from Sonic's perspective. We do still fill in details by playing Dark second (like where Shadow actually came from/what Eggman + Rouge were actually up to during all this), but those are plot details, not narrative framing details.

It doesn't actually matter, but I think these narrative cues make it pretty clear that they were written with the other way around in mind.

Or to put it in short: Dark is built around "filling in details from the other story", but can be disjointed if taken alone without the context for where those details are supposed to fill in
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Cloaytonem2

Post by Cloaytonem2 »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago Secondly we see the ghosts for the first time today! For some reason this game has this weird thing with these ghosts, man, and they legitimately jumpscare you like as seen here. I think they're seriously creepy, partially because of just how inexplicable they are as a running theme in this game where the plot never actually acknowledges them at all and yet they're everywhere in certain parts. It's so weird
I actually really love the ghosts and their big sharp-toothed grins, but Sega in all their wisdom decided to call their brand new ghost enemy a Boo. The name no one else used for ghost enemies ever.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Batting A Thousand - Adventure 2 - Eggs and Ham

Post by Awoo »

I really hope that

Night of the Werehog

is part of AtS since it'd be super fun

to watch with raocow

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
churine

Post by churine »

Leet wrote: 4 years agoTwo observations: firstly Sonic considers any member of his species other than himself to be "fake" (except Amy???). Shadow never tried to be Sonic or anything, he just thinks there can only be one or two hedgehogs in the world.
Perhaps Sonic is just thinking Shadow is a "fake hedgehog" tenrec
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

whaaaaaaaaaat what is that animal it's adorable
Grounder

Re: All The E.G.G.M.E.N. - Adventure 2 - You Didn't Think I Had Legs, Did You? I'm Like Gru, Except I'm The One Before G

Post by Grounder »

So, unlike Tikal, Omochao is just kind of there and is never really explained. What's up with him? Did G.U.N. get a hold of a body from the Adventure garden and decide to give it sapient AI? We see him in Iron Gate first in Adventure 2, after all.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Heavy Sigh

Re: All The E.G.G.M.E.N. - Adventure 2 - You Didn't Think I Had Legs, Did You? I'm Like Gru, Except I'm The One Before G

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

The true reveal of Sonic Adventure 2, in all its glory, began September 22nd, 2000, when the "Sonic Team Fall Festival" began on the newly registered domain SonicTeam.com. For ten days, each day two new screenshots were revealed to the world about the game, most showcasing Sonic's various levels and a new ability to grind, plus Dr. Eggman's introduction as a playable character.

The final day of the online festival, however, dropped cryptic hints as to the nature of the story, finishing up with two images of a dark, Sonic-esque hedgehog with little context.

Further public information about the game went quiet until, in an incredible move of marketing synergy only eclipsed by the demo of MGS2, Phantasy Star Online brought an incredible pack-in bonus for Dreamcast players and ravenous Sonic fans. Released in Japan on November 21st, PSO came with "Sonic Adventure 2: The Trial", a demo of City Escape that also included an extended trailer further teasing the true nature of Shadow the Hedgehog as the "Ultimate Hedgehog."

Fun Level Facts!

To find Big in Lost Colony, once you pass the third checkpoint, head up the long shaft and look left. Big will be sitting and fishing IN SPACE at a ledge to the left of the shaft.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

A lot of character's inability to distinguish Sonic from Shadow relates to the fact that his design and silhouette were made distinct from Sonic fairly late in the development process. Here's Shadow the Hedgehog's concept art, alongside his final 2D design:

As you see, most of these, especially the top left, would pass for Sonic with a dyejob at a glance or in low-lighting conditions. With these designs, GUN, Eggman, Amy and other characters confusing Sonic with Shadow suddenly makes a lot more sense - and the similarity makes the "faker" conversation make a lot more sense too. These early designs are often known by the Sonic fandoms as "Terios", his original development name - Greek for 'reflection'.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Did god make omochao? Or is omochao god?
ImageImage
raocow

Post by raocow »

lol those early shadow designs. it's like they hired an actual 13 year old