(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Alice »

Been playing Doom Eternal since it released yesterday. It's a lot better than Doom 2016 in my opinion. Though it does still have some issues and a few bugs. I wasted a grand total of around 40-50 minutes on the second level because this thing you have to punch to advance flat out broke even after restarting the level. I only ended up getting past it because I accidentally glitched my way up a wall and bypassed it.

The biggest issue is the hilariously low ammo capacity. You start with the shotgun and it can hold a whopping 16 shells. This is made even more hilariously low if you unlock the automatic mod for it which can eat through 16 shells in about two seconds. You can refill ammo by using the chainsaw on enemies but sometimes you can't chainsaw them and the game doesn't bother explaining why. Apparently chainsawing tougher enemies uses more than one chainsaw fuel. This is a problem because it can only hold three max and 90% of the time you'll only have one because if it's at zero it'll regenerate to one fuel over time but it won't regenerate higher than that meaning you have to pick up the fairly infrequent fuel off the ground to get more.

I've also had some issues with invisible walls during the platforming segments. All too often there's a place it looks like you should be able to go but there's an invisible wall blocking you off of it. Or worse you need to navigate around an obstacle midair and the obstacle's hitbox extends way further than it looks like it should. Luckily falling down a pit isn't instant death unlike in 2016 but it's still kinda annoying when the reason you fell wasn't even your fault to begin with.

Past those issues though, I'm really enjoying the game. The arena fights don't feel like copy+pastes of each other and the game actually provides an in-level way to backtrack when you reach the end of the map. This was a huge flaw in 2016 since the game encourages you to explore but then constantly locks you out of backtracking forcing you to replay the entire level again to get anything you missed.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Currently about 9 hours into Nier:Automata. Definitely some cool ideas in this game but there's some very bizarre systems that I still don't understand, and also the menus are so incredibly clunky. I can't help but feel like this game could have seriously benefited from a once-over by someone whose job was to simply suggest quality of life improvements, cause there's just so many minor annoyances. Mainly related to maps and menus. Here's a few that come to mind immediately:
  • Whenever you unlock a new quest, it's added to your map, and after you get enough sidequests unlocked, your map becomes a mess of red dots that's impossible to read. There should really be a way to enable one quest at a time, just like how the Bethesda RPGs work, but instead you're stuck with an ever-worsening case of hives breaking out across the map.
  • The map in the menu can be spun in any direction, and there's no indication as to where North is (despite characters in game occasionally telling you where to go with cardinal directions) so whenever you open the map it's impossible to tell what you're looking at.
  • At some point in the game you unlock a fast travel system, but the points it shows you for each fast travel point on the selection screen is so zoomed in you can't tell where it is in relation to anything else, so if you're wanting to see which fast travel point is closest to some arbitrary place you want to be such as a sidequest point, you have to open the map in your menu, find the red dot that represents the sidequest point you want to get to, look for the nearest fast travel point, highlight it to see its name, then quit out of the pause menu to interact with the machine that lets you fast travel.
  • Menus that can be sorted require you to scroll to the top of the list to select your sort mode instead of just mapping that to one of the many unused buttons.
  • Whenever you move to a new menu tab, it plays an annoyingly slow animation of each menu option sliding in.
  • Areas you're expected to run across are filled with random clutter on the ground that makes you stumble, stopping your sprint so you keep having to press the sprint button just so you can keep running
  • In the desert area, you slide around on the sand occasionally, which could have been cool but it triggers so frequently that you'll just be trying to speak to an NPC and end up slipping around the character in circles at 100mph until you stop and can make another attempt at approaching the NPC to talk to them, which is already finicky in its own regard
etc etc etc the list just goes on and on of things that so obviously make it annoying to do menial things that you'll be doing tons of times throughout the game, and somehow no one thought to fix them during the course of development.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

The combination of birthday, XGP cutoff, new job, and shelter in place orders put gaming on pause, save occasional Katamari. That said...

Four Job Fiesta is doing a special Final Fantasy V fiesta run, raising money for Doctors Without Borders/Médicins Sans Frontières. White Mage/Red Mage/Bard/Chemist. Glitches allowed. Read more here. I'm in.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I played up to Chapter 3 of The Lost Child.
It's been fun. It's a nice dungeon crawler.

I also beat Data Vanitas in KH3.
Only 12 more bosses to go...
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Nast

Post by Nast »

Beat Shovel Knight: King of Cards today. Man, playing these games makes me so happy, Yacht Club Games are so good at what they do. King Knight's shoulder bash mechanic is so simple, using only one button, but it's stupidly versatile and used in tons of fun ways. Levels are shorter than in the other campaigns, which disappointed me the first time I heard about it, but I feel this way they were able to explore the various level concepts even more thoroughly, and they're all brilliantly designed and fun to play. The writing might just be the best it's ever been in the series, as King Knight's character lends itself to tons of fun dialogue, and the game in general has so much personality, it's wonderful.

Joustus really worried me at first. It seemed so completely disconnected from what I've come to expect from the series, and even as an optional minigame I wasn't looking forward to playing through it for completion. Doesn't help that I was garbage at it when I started. But man did it become addictive by the end. I like how they had a very basic premise and went all out with different types of effects, arrows and even boss attacks. It really feels like a fully-fledged card game, in what is already a package with a ludicrous amount of content.

I'm still making progress on Torchlight II as well, though I've been on-and-off with it. It's not doing enough interesting things to motivate me to keep playing. The maps now are all needlessly big open areas, and the combat hasn't changed all that much, even with new enemy types being introduced. The same spells do the trick for most situations, so it ends up feeling repetitive. It's fun I guess but it's pretty much junk food.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Animal Crossing: New Horizons. It's a fun diversion that's been appreciated.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Finished up with Yoshi's Crafted World 100%. I actually really liked the final post game courses, it proves that the game has an engine that works pretty well for advanced movement tech. Unfortunately they almost made 3 stages like this, so it was over pretty quickly.

(completion reward spoiler if you care)
The game is kind of all over in terms of what 100% requires for skill level. Like 99% of the game is a complete breeze (the hardest part being finding hidden collectibles) but then out of nowhere they have this insane requirement to beat the final boss in under a time limit that requires a strategy that almost any player is just gonna have to look up, because it's so specific you'll never figure it out on your own. And if you actually wanted to, it's about a 5 minute fight even if you're going fast (the speed trial requirement is to do it in under 4:30) and the complex stuff comes near the end, so you'll be redoing a very easy 5 minutes over and over again to figure it out. Even after looking up the strategy, I ended up having to retry multiple times, and I was pausing the game to do the specific moves in the specific order step-by-step with the YouTube video. It's just so bizarre they put this in a game that's clearly targeting babies for the majority of it.

Then the other real challenge is the final final boss of the game which for the most part is really neat, but then ends with using the horrible Go-Go Yoshi vehicle that was only in one level previously and has horrible controls, and it requires you to do insanely precise things with it. My first defeat of the boss took probably a couple dozen attempts, if not more, because it requires punching a bunch of quickly-approaching enemies without missing once, but the issue is if you mash the button it seems to only randomly punch at an inconsistent pace. I managed to finally pull it off, but for the boss challenges I just looked up a video to see if there was a trick I wasn't catching onto. The consensus is that everyone agrees this section is bullshit, but the uploader did mention a decent strategy of rather than mashing the button, try to press it at a fairly constant pace that isn't too fast for it. Who knows, maybe that's what the devs intended but it's not clear. This strategy also cancels out the existence of the charge punch though, so I assume not. But in the end with that method, once I got to the Go-Go section for my first time without getting hit, I managed to make that the run where I got all 3 challenges in one go, which was a huge relief that I didn't have to do it again.
Anyway, that's Yoshi's Crafted World. I probably wouldn't ever 100% this game again. It was a fun little romp to relax with, but the overall completion took over 25 hours and most of it is repeatedly doing the same level over and over again because after you think you're done completing a level it keeps telling you about more and more collectibles to find that require you to go back in and search around again. I actually wouldn't have minded all the craft finding if they just gave you a checklist of crafts to keep an eye out for at the beginning of a world, and let you collect them as you find them. Because as it is, you'll see something in a level that is clearly going to be a collectible, you can even throw an egg at it and hit it, but it won't count as collecting it because the box guy hasn't told you he wants it yet. The platforming in the game was generally too easy to keep me engaged (save for the final 3 post game levels), and some of the autoscroll levels really dragged on, especially when you were doing them for the 8th time trying to find a collectible. The game is overall, just... fine.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Finished Alpha Sapphire's Delta Episode. Onward to Kanto for Pokemon Blue.
... I need a freakin' catch list.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Alice

Post by Alice »

I've been playing a lot of Doom Eternal. Been really enjoying it but I seem to have atrocious luck with bugs. I've had some form of fairly major bug on nearly every level except for the first. The second level had a level-breaking bug that I only got around because I accidentally glitched up a wall. The third I managed to get locked into a closed off corridor thus having to restart from the last checkpoint. (Only lost like a minute or two of gameplay though thankfully.) In the fourth level I had a random issue where a collectible at the start of the level didn't show up until half way through it forcing me to play the level again. (Thankfully it only took like five minutes since it's the first collectible in the level.) On level 5 the fast travel system bugged on me and didn't activate until after flipping a switch that starts a countdown and locks you out of fast travel thus locking me out of a collectible without replaying most of the level. On level 6, my favorite one so far, I had this really weird issue where the game thought I was using the in-game cheats despite those only functioning in mission select mode thus locking me out of the slayer gate for the level since the key to the slayer gate doesn't spawn when using cheats. Normally these sorts of bugs would be enough for me to drop a game and not bother with it but the game is legitimately a lot of fun despite these issues.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I completed my first full replay of a final fantasy, with FF1. And by full replay I mean... I completed the bestiary of it.

And yes, that includes... This.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

been playing wandersong, in part because i was already planning to and now the cowman is gonna be playing it in a few months' time so i wanna get it done well in advance

was really enjoying the game for the first few acts, but act 4 and the first half of 5 were kind of a bit of a lull, it felt like. then the back half of act 5 happened and.............. yeah, this game's really good
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Started Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II as a small sanity check while I go through SMW's crap source code a few days back. Came back to it this dawn since I couldn't sleep. Got to the part where the

Friend and Orthros betray you for not blindly following Pazuzu's orders and the witch/Partner joins you, at Tokyo Tower

Named the Friend and Partner after my friends and the Hero after myself.
So David (that's me), Amy (that's Saturn Moriya) and Roach (that's MotorRoach).

I chose Roach to be the Friend because

he is definitely the sort of person to align himself with the bad guys

Meanwhile Amy is just the Chaotic Good sort of crust punk.

Overall the game is really good and it's fun getting to start straight with the gameplay since FFVII starts you with a 3 hour long restrictive prologue. I like Midgar for it's setting and messages and all but it can feel a bit smothering with its tight corridors. FFX is the FF that pulled off corridors well I feel.

I've also got to テンケンやま コース4 in Super SIG World 13. It's a polished remake of 1 so I thought I'd start there. It's not impressive or ground-breaking sure, but it's solid. And that's what matters.

As for the level name, Mt. Steepest #4 is what I have in the translation I'm planning to give to SimFan.
cybershell has it as Mt. Skye 4 but I feel that's inaccurate. Probably read it as 天元 or something
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Picked up Cities:Skylines.

Bankrupted City #1 by overdoing it on the water system before the power grid was fully up.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Gotta be honest, when I started up Nier:Automata I did not expect to hear a robot speak the line "I'll tear the shit out of you" but here we are!
Currently on the second playthrough where you play as 9S. Or is it 3rd, cause I accidentally found ending G where 9S i guess decides to not help 2B at the beginning and just runs off to research things. I think I'm starting to get a better handle of how this game works (I guess I should now that I'm 20 hours in). I don't want to jinx it but the hacking you can do with 9S seems a little broken? Sometimes I'll start to fight something and realize that it's taking way too long so I just start hacking enemies and slowly explode them 1 by 1 while keeping a safe distance so they don't even have a chance. And combining with the fact that I crammed myself full of various healing chips, combat hasn't been much of a thing. I spent a bunch of time running around and doing sidequests I missed last playthrough. It turns out there was an entire huge part of the desert I never saw because the main campaign for the first playthrough never really requires you to go in that direction. I also never realized you could go back to the factory right from the beginning. But uhh yeah, I think I'm enjoying the game more as I get further in.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Gotta be honest, when I started up Nier:Automata I did not expect to hear a robot speak the line "I'll tear the shit out of you" but here we are!
Currently on the second playthrough where you play as 9S. Or is it 3rd, cause I accidentally found ending G where 9S i guess decides to not help 2B at the beginning and just runs off to research things. I think I'm starting to get a better handle of how this game works (I guess I should now that I'm 20 hours in). I don't want to jinx it but the hacking you can do with 9S seems a little broken? Sometimes I'll start to fight something and realize that it's taking way too long so I just start hacking enemies and slowly explode them 1 by 1 while keeping a safe distance so they don't even have a chance. And combining with the fact that I crammed myself full of various healing chips, combat hasn't been much of a thing. I spent a bunch of time running around and doing sidequests I missed last playthrough. It turns out there was an entire huge part of the desert I never saw because the main campaign for the first playthrough never really requires you to go in that direction. I also never realized you could go back to the factory right from the beginning. But uhh yeah, I think I'm enjoying the game more as I get further in.
Endings

F-Z

are

non-canon extras - you can tell because they're text-only followed by "fast credits".

Endings

A-E

are the main ones.
The core story of the game has

three

cycles, which follow one after another.
You're currently on cycle 2, working towards

Ending B

The middle of Cycle 2 is often considered to be the "weakest" part of the game as you are re-treading familiar ground, but now with a limited moveset. Best of luck seeing it all through.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I played way too much Nier:Automata yesterday.

I don't know what it says about me that I almost never care about any of the quest rewards I get when it's materials and upgrade chips but I got giddy when I unlocked a bunch of hair dyes
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

started rayman 3, a game i played the hell out of as a kid and haven't touched in literally half my life.
it's kinda fun albeit a bit dated, but also my PS2 controller is not working very well and that's giving me difficulty in trying to play atm, i might need to get a new one or switch to emulating on PC (with the disc if i can, lol)

i also started (or rather, re-started) shovel knight plague of shadows, which i found kind of unbearable the first time i tried to play it and still find not very fun now that i'm replaying it. but i want to do this one before king of cards, just to say i have them all done. not going for 100% achievements tho, i did for the base game but once the expansions kept coming and adding more and more i just don't have the patience for that anymore
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I didn't mention this but yesterday I finished off the main endings in Nier:Automata. Things got pretty wild at the end, I liked it though! It's actually really odd how I went right from SOMA to this game because the themes of those games are so incredibly similar, and there's even oddly specific overlap with them both involving

an "ark" that will be launched into space to preserve consciousness after the Earth became uninhabitable.

I'm gonna keep on trucking with the game. I think I want to get all the endings and maybe complete all the missions. I'm not sure what a true 100% would entail but I wouldn't be surprised if it required some pretty tedious tracking down of specific things that I might not want to commit to.

This game has some really cool ideas. Aside from being a pretty unique mish-mash of a standard RPG, hack-and-slash action, top-down/side-scrolling/twin-stick shooter, it has a fairly engaging story (though told with some awkward anime-dub voice acting). It also has some pretty bizarre mechanics that remind me a lot of some of the weird stuff Hidetaka Miyazaki put into some of the Souls games, specifically in terms of using online connectivity for functions other than just multiplayer. I really loved the idea that

in order to get the final ending, you have to enlist the "help" of other people online who sacrificed their save files. And also how the weird fourth-wall-breaking character in the resistance settlement will straight up sell you achievements after you beat the game.

Check this game out if you haven't!
july
七月
First name: e!ɡa
Pronouns: she/her

Post by july »

SCORPIONS
SCORPIONS
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Started Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - Hacker's Memory. At Chapter 2.

Overall a fun game but a bit too anime. I hope the Digimon have more of a presence later on instead of being just mooks and bosses.
Image Image
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

It's been a long time. I almost lost my voice.
I'm playing Dodge 2.1 in Gom Player. The rule is simple. Just dodge the bullets as long as possible. I'm totally fall in Touhou.
Current 1cc done: Touhou 8, 15, 16
And I'm challenging Touhou 6 and 14 for no-continue clear.
Touhou 14. This one. I have to say something. I don't like the screen flipping and the super huge hitbox. No More 2.0 bonus limit. I hug a bullet while I get the Bonus.

Dodge Screenshot
Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I beat Dark Riku in the KH3 DLC.
I feel like he was way easier than Vanitas.
Maybe I'm just better...

I played through both of the Force Unleashed games.
It's been a long time since I last got to.
The first game is really good.
It's a bit clunky feeling at points, especially fighting certain things like AT-STs.
The boss fights were pretty fun all around. I completely forgot about the Darth Maul Proxy fight, so that was a very nice surprise.
It seems like once you unlock the aerial slam thing that launches enemies just completely destroys bosses, though, minus a couple a of exceptions.

The second game has much smoother combat but I feel like somehow much less refined than the first game's was.
There's not as much of a sense of progression with your force powers.
You just kinda have them. Upgrading them doesn't feel as rewarding as the first game.
The only boss I really enjoy is the final one. That one is still really rough because of the QTE's tendency to pull you off the platforms.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Jongseok wrote: 4 years ago Current 1cc done: Touhou 8, 15, 16
And I'm challenging Touhou 6 and 14 for no-continue clear.
Touhou 14. This one. I have to say something. I don't like the screen flipping and the super huge hitbox. No More 2.0 bonus limit. I hug a bullet while I get the Bonus.
Touhou 14's the one I'm stuck on, as well! Admittedly I haven't played it in a while because Animal Crossing: New Horizons has consumed my life, but I really need to get back and 1cc that one. Sukuna ends all of my runs. I'm terrible against her...

But yeah, I've been preoccupied with Animal Crossing ever since it came out. With the lockdown in effect, it's pretty much all I've been doing. Already put in like 110 hours lmao

I've also been itching to play more shmups/bullet hells. There's a Korean one called Shikhondo that's on the eShop that's pretty fun. Plays like the PC-98 Touhou games. I also beat Earth Defense Force on the virtual console (with savestates because that shit's hard as fuck) and I've been interested in the two Psikyo Shooting Stars collections on the Switch. Used to play games like that a lot back when I used to go to arcades like Nickel Nickel and I kinda want to try them out. Arcade shmups/bullet hells are a soft spot of mine!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

GenesisJames wrote: 4 years ago I've also been itching to play more shmups/bullet hells.
battle bakraid. i used to mock it for being easy back during my channer phase but it's a good game
go for garegga when you're feeling like torturing yourself (not bad either, just hostile)

if you do get the psikyo collections do go for gunbird 1&2, really good.
:pride: :pride: :pride: :pride: :pride: :pride: tetsu and aine :pride: :pride: :pride: :pride: :pride: :pride:
Image Image
Alice

Post by Alice »

Just about done with Doom Eternal. It has some odd issues even disregarding the random bugs I've run into. The early game has serious issues with ammo shortages. The midgame is tons more fun because that's no longer such an issue. The lategame though has issues with them packing tons of tanky enemies into small areas which makes encounters hilariously dangerous even on low difficulties.