(shouting)

New Super Marisa Land - Squeak for Victory

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: New Super Marisa Land - The World is Suffering

Post by raocow »

oh!

good to know

If the ship has red stars though then I'm going to go on a long voyage, I guess we'll see :O
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

The ship does not have red stars (that I can recall).
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

As far as I know, 7-5 is the one level where you can't get all the red stars if you enter as small. You want to bring external powerup since you need to at least be big to get the keystone in the level.

The last two red stars in the P-switch mazes are hard to get safely, too. The timing to climb to the 10th star is pretty tight, especially if you're big which hinders your jumps; reaching both in time is nigh-impossible. If you're doing an all-stars run I recommend bringing ying-yang orbs and tossing one to collect the 9th while you race for the 10th.
Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago
Your best bet is to tackle Stage 7 and the Extra Stage (assuming it pops up) in the next video and then stop there. Once you board the airship you're going to start a reasonably lengthy sequence where you are not afforded the opportunity to save until it's over.
I've tested this and the extra level will not unlock until the boss level is beaten, even though there's no red stars there. Which means if he stops before the ship, it would be a one-level video tomorrow.

So you know what, maybe this is a good time to get the missing secret exits in

1-4

and

3-5

Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Oh, well then.

I guess we're getting a video that's either 5 minutes or 30 minutes tomorrow!

Sorry for the misinformation.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

what if it was... neither of those ?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I like this level that makes use of all the powerups, even if digging through all the blocks with the Tenshi power can be a bit of a drag. Fortunately once you have the red stars just getting the Suwako hat isn't too bad, although I had some trouble actually hitting the fairy wearing it, and watching raocow's final run, it looks like I'm not the only one. Another nice thing is that if you unlock the shop it gives you a quick way to get the powerups needed for the first half of the stage, letting you skip the first two houses.

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago what if it was... neither of those ?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

hour long finale confirmed
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

A bit late on this, but UFO Marisa is hilarious. I like how her body sways back and forth ever so slightly while the UFO is eating her head.
LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: I like this level that makes use of all the powerups, even if digging through all the blocks with the Tenshi power can be a bit of a drag. Fortunately once you have the red stars just getting the Suwako hat isn't too bad, although I had some trouble actually hitting the fairy wearing it, and watching raocow's final run, it looks like I'm not the only one. Another nice thing is that if you unlock the shop it gives you a quick way to get the powerups needed for the first half of the stage, letting you skip the first two houses.
The Tenshi block room is pretty rude, making you have to go all the way around to get the red stars. I had to make multiple passes through the level to get both stars here, due to the time limit. I would love to see a 100% speedrun to see how efficiently this room can be maneuvered. An easy way I found to get the Suwako hat is to just bop the fairy from underneath.
ano0maly wrote: Also, it is possible to land on the cactus-carrying fairy without getting hurt if you aim your jump carefully. It's easier than the lucky hop on the juggling fairy. And

slide down on slopes and you're immune to cactus, whether carried or by itself.

Those cactus fairies are interesting and unique enemies - the fact that they leave an obstacle behind when killed and that they can only be jumped on in a certain spot. I don't recall an enemy in any other platformer that's like that... specifically for a sprite that small.

By the way, do the various fairy enemies have actual names? Or are they just generic? I must admit I don't know my Touhou that well.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

There are a handful of fairies in Touhou who are notable enough to have actual names and distinct character designs (Cirno, Clownpiece, etc), but the common enemies are just generic and are implied to be significantly weaker and probably less intelligent than the named ones. There is a subset of fairies in the games that carries flowers that ZUN has referred to as Sunflower fairies, but beyond that there's not really much distinction.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i liked the powerup clipshow...
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: New Super Marisa Land - This is a War

Post by Kilgamayan »

The building in the forest nearby the Three Fairies' Treehouse turned Giant Mushroom Final Boss is the Hakurei Shrine. They actually live pretty close to one another (not that Reimu knows this).

Fun Fact: Getting the Super Star Mushroom That Gives You Ginormous Gonhongolahoogas in the Nue boss fight and then running into Nue kills her instantly. Since the trigger for the bottom of the screen turning from a death pit into scrolling down to the next cutscene activates the instant she dies, you will survive this perfectly fine. It's an amusing way to cheese the fight.

I have no how much you did after the cut, but aside from that one last extra stage, there is one last boss fight to do. You can also enter Marisa's house now (which has been destroyed on the overworld map but is perfectly fine if you enter it). It's worth entering just to see what's there!

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

So, when do we see MarisaLand Legacy/the Original Super Marisa Land? :P
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
XionGaTaosenai

Post by XionGaTaosenai »

Regarding the "this is a lot easier than I was expecting from a Touhou fangame" comment, it's worth noting that this wasn't made by Desunoya like your more famous past Touhou LPs (The MariAri games & Nitroid, with a third group making Super Marisa World) have been. A lot of what you've come to expect from a "Touhou fangame" may well be specifically a Desunoya thing.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

return of the hat

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

really sad that this series is ending ("´_ゝ`)フーン
i really liked funny touhou does a yahoo ( ノД`)シクシク…

XionGaTaosenai wrote: 4 years ago a third group making Super Marisa World)
double cluster
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago funny touhou does a yahoo
Kyoukohayou.png
Kyoukohayou.png (80.18 KiB) Viewed 3289 times

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I forgot how great the music in these last levels is. I especially like the music in the airship level. Anyway, this game sure does end with a bunch of autoscroll levels in a row. I didn't have too much trouble here, except for the spring, which only gives you a few tries to get it right before you get crushed against the wall. I don't think I even bothered with trying to get the powerup there just to give myself as much time as possible to get over the wall.

After beating the game you get to see a stats screen, which I took a screenshot of so I could compare myself with raocow, and my numbers weren't too far off. Assuming the third number down is the number of deaths, I had 199, which is only 14 more than raocow. From my count it looks like there's been about 60 levels so far, so that's only 1 additional death for every 4 levels, which I'd say is not too shabby.

ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

In the giant mushroom boss fight, what is happening is that the battle changes slightly each time a fairy is knocked out (or is it every three hits overall?). At first the mushroom platforms are all connected at the same height, but then they start to move vertically at different timings, so you coule walk off if you're not careful. Finally, the vertical movement increases and occasionally the mushroom boss leaps in forward (platforms collapse as the mushroom advances).

The post-END screen shows some new stats on the right side now that the game is cleared. If you pause the game in the overworld, it now shows those additional stats too.
Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago Fun Fact: Getting the Super Star Mushroom That Gives You Ginormous Gonhongolahoogas in the Nue boss fight and then running into Nue kills her instantly. Since the trigger for the bottom of the screen turning from a death pit into scrolling down to the next cutscene activates the instant she dies, you will survive this perfectly fine. It's an amusing way to cheese the fight.
Someone make a "Is it possible to beat [x] without [y]" video where you defeat Nue without hitting her once with the UFO beam. And for all the bosses in this game without jumping on them to hurt them (in Utsuho's case, without the arm cannon).
WhimWidget
WhimWhimWhimWhimWhim
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by WhimWidget »

Yeah, it's whichever fairy you hit every 3rd hit that gets taken out.

I feel the game's difficulty ultimately sits comfortably between, 'just a little bit harder than Super Mario World' and 'just a little bit easier than Super Mario Bros 3'.
Even before I tried the game, I kind of expected something consistently reasonable since Tasfro is really player considerate.
They consider how they punish the player, how they lead the player through consistently new ideas, how and when they expect the player to figure things out (or tease things to look out for), and how feasible and consistent it is for a player to excecute something they intend to. This is something that persists across what they do, even across the charming and silly interactions, easter eggs and extra stuff they add.

It's been kind of interesting since the expectation would be the opposite, since this is both something Touhou themed and a Doujin.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

And now that I look at it... this game was released in 2010, the same year as the side shmup game Fairy Wars. It featured the three fairies (Sunny Milk, Luna Child, Star Sapphire) as bosses,

and Marisa as extra stage boss

. No wonder the plot of this game centered around these fairies.
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

Just to resolve any curiosities, this is what is inside Marisa's house:

Really nice job with this game, by the way! The extra airship in particular was pretty mean to me thanks to Marisa not always jumping properly off the moving chains.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: New Super Marisa Land - Squeak for Victory

Post by Kilgamayan »

I have not actually seen most of the Extra Stages for myself so I was tremendously amused by how much of the World 0 extra stage design just ripped straight from MegaMari Patchouli Fortress 3. I got the feeling that the entire stage was intended to be an homage to that stage with a good chunk of it modified to be more Mario-friendly. (I think it was possible to jump all the way across those crumble bridges as SuperMari with a sufficient running start; the last attempt you made didn't appear to be at maximum horizontal velocity.)

THANK YOU FOR PLAY

I hope people other than ano0maly figured out and enjoyed the thread movie title warehouse gimmick

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago I have not actually seen most of the Extra Stages for myself so I was tremendously amused by how much of the World 0 extra stage design just ripped straight from MegaMari Patchouli Fortress 3.
The level design is actually a homage to Extra Stage 1 of the first Super Marisa Land, the level layout for everything save for the end being exactly the same.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Ugh it's been forever since I played Super Marisa Land as Marisa so I had completely forgotten x(

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image