(shouting)

New Super Marisa Land - Squeak for Victory

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
freshtalk

Re: New Super Marisa Land - Heaven is a Very Sky Place Dangerous

Post by freshtalk »

If it helps, I have died in the Sanae fight before when one of the toy animals landed right on top of me, instantly crushing me to death.

The mountain world's extra stage was one of the very last levels I ever beaten because I never did figure out the proper controls for how the yukuri interacts with slopes before I got here.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Re: New Super Marisa Land - Hit the Road, World 3

Post by Kilgamayan »

Man, missed a chance for a Too Many Bobs thread title :(
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I had a lot of trouble getting the 8th red star in the stage with the wind; I was trying to get it from below, and I did eventually get it, but not before having to give up and go fight the boss before I ran out of time. Speaking of the boss, I fought it twice, once with the Reisen powerup, and once with the Tenshi powerup, and I was going to say that I find it neat that both the powerups you can find in this stage are helpful for the boss fight, but it seems like it's so easy that you don't even need any help to beat it.

I had fun with the first extra stage here, although admittedly getting to the end can be a really hard time. There are multiple paths through here, which I like, but they all seem to converge on this one jump to the end that's really awkward to make.

The swimming section of the world 3 extra stage gave me a lot of trouble, especially since for some reason I never thought to go get a powerup from one of the shops to help deal with it. I eventually made it through, and thankfully I didn't mess up and die at the narrow passage at the end of the swimming section, or anywhere in the rest of the level, because I did not want to go through that again.

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago Man, missed a chance for a Too Many Bobs thread title :(
excuse me
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

ha!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

delightful :catplanet:
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

Catching up on videos here, but I thought the sixth red star in the wind stage (6-5) was difficult to find. The position in the tracker wasn't as helpful as it usually is, due to the openness of the level. I found it by accident when I fell - it never occurred to me to look all the way below the fifth red star. I overthought it and kept checking behind clouds.

I also found the swimming section in 3-Extra to be tricky. You can't hold down on the D-pad to dampen your swim height like you can in Super Mario World, so getting through that narrow tunnel requires good timing on pressing the swim button. After dying several times there, I gave up and Suwako'd it.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Maps for world 3.

World 6 will have to wait for a good reason.

This was brought up earlier in the thread, but as you can see from the map, the secret exit in 3-5 is important because it creates a convenient bridge that connects earlier and later parts of the game. It gives you access to world 7 early, allowing you to skip a big chunk of the game or at least providing you options on which levels to play first. Even if you already beat worlds 4 to 6, unlocking this path means you don't have to take a long detour to go back and forth.
3-8 has these goofy large fuzzies (that we earlier saw in 4-1) but I feel that having four red stars grouped together at the end is lazy level design.
freshtalk wrote: 4 years ago If it helps, I have died in the Sanae fight before when one of the toy animals landed right on top of me, instantly crushing me to death.
I don't know if it landing on you is instakill, but I think that if you're back up against the screen boundary you can get crushed, since they're semi-solid.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

remember, the scriptures that marisa picked up in the temple of moonlight makes her immune to bats!

also hold on i do not know the touhou, why are those plush animals the young woman's mothers
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

The woman Sanae is a shrine maiden and the level is her shrine. The local gods of the shrine are a snake-associated god and a frog god. But this is Touhou, so the gods basically appear as normal people characters, making them essentially her moms.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Sanae is also a literal descendant of the frog goddess.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

"Marisa is huge!"
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago "Marisa is huge!"
THAT MEANS SHE HAS HUGE GUTS

RIP AND TEAR HER GUTS! :monstrosity:
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: New Super Marisa Land - Return of the Sky World

Post by Kilgamayan »

The UFO powerup is amusing but annoying. Just like the yukkuri powerup!

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

:aliceko:

:sanaeko:

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
LunarRainbowShyGuy

With how annoying the springs in this game can be one would think I would remember this first stage well, but I somehow forgot all about it. And by somehow, I mean that the very next stage completely eclipsed this one in terms of giving me trouble. I had a lot of trouble getting that last red star. I think the way you're supposed to do it is by breaking through the lowest row of blocks near the end of the autoscroll section so you can get down to the bottom quicker, but that took me a very long time to figure out. To give an idea of how long it took: I spent all of my stars on 1ups before entering this world; in attempting to get this red star I got enough stars that I reached the cap, spent them all on 1ups, and came close to reaching the cap again.

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Flying Saucer Marisa seems like she flies around a bit too slowly.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Ah, the UFO, stands for undefined fantastic object, it's a fun quirk to use. A "P-balloon in Gradius" aptly describes it, now that I look at it: the early fairy formations at the top of this level do reminds me of that game.
LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 4 years agoI think the way you're supposed to do it is by breaking through the lowest row of blocks near the end of the autoscroll section so you can get down to the bottom quicker, but that took me a very long time to figure out.
Correct; this would allow you to catch the last UFO so that you can reach the 1UP and the 9th red star without the carrot. I'm impressed that aside from that raocow seemed to figure out what to do right away. As shown in the video, you're supposed to race toward the right screen boundary and then stick to it, and go up as high as you can when another UFO is about to come up. That other UFO he skipped in the autoscroll, I think you can get that and survive the scrolling, but then it would be too late to do other stuff to make it to the final UFO.

Also, remember how people were saying that the only secret exit that is required for a level is 4-1, leading to 4-9? It looks to me like 7-2 secret exit leading to 7-4 is also required.

Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: New Super Marisa Land - 7-2-3 is the Worst Level I Have Probably Ever Played, I Mean, SERIOUSLY, Gah

Post by Kilgamayan »

Oh, but how I loathed that Cheep Cheep rail level my first time through the game. I don't remember why - it looks not terrible ten years later - but I sure loathed it!

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Re: New Super Marisa Land - 7-2-3 is the Worst Level I Have Probably Ever Played, I Mean, SERIOUSLY, Gah

I don't know if raocow made this look easy or if I was just playing badly (I think this was one of the first levels I played after taking a break from the game), but I had a ton of trouble with this level with the flying fish fairies. The first time these things showed up I was thinking "these are difficult to deal with, but it could be worse"; I thought if they ever showed up again they would just be paired up with regular enemies, since they're the only threat in their first appearance, but this is worse than anything I could have imagined. Being forced to ride the platforms means you can't just inch your way forward anymore, and the enemies here just loved being in my way anytime I needed to make a jump. I ended up buying a powerup from the shop to help me, and even then it took me a good number of tries to beat the level.

ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Yeah, 7-3 made Kilga rage a decade ago. But...
LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 4 years agoBeing forced to ride the platforms means you can't just inch your way forward anymore, and the enemies here just loved being in my way anytime I needed to make a jump.
The trick is that you can actually traverse in the water basically the entire time - by swimming below the screen to pass beneath some pillars, and jumping over others. In the video where raocow said he couldn't swim under the column, you actually can. You can see the bottom of the pillar there at the bottom screen boundary, similar to how in 7-1 you can get over columns if you can see the end at the top.

This allows you to skip platform-riding altogether. You would miss out on red stars if you do that, of course, but you can have a mixed approach: activate the rail platform and when you need to, stay down in the water within the lower-middle part of the screen where you're safer.

Also, it is possible to land on the cactus-carrying fairy without getting hurt if you aim your jump carefully. It's easier than the lucky hop on the juggling fairy. And

slide down on slopes and you're immune to cactus, whether carried or by itself.

Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: New Super Marisa Land - The World is Suffering

Post by Kilgamayan »

OKAY

Your best bet is to tackle Stage 7 and the Extra Stage (assuming it pops up) in the next video and then stop there. Once you board the airship you're going to start a reasonably lengthy sequence where you are not afforded the opportunity to save until it's over.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image