(shouting)

New Super Marisa Land - Squeak for Victory

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
moogy

Re: New Super Marisa Land - pfffff

Post by moogy »

tfw when raocow remembers Kisume's name (mostly, at least) but not Youmu's

Kisume is kind of a meme character but her one spellcard is actually pretty fun imo!!!!
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

Are door mazes good? I ask this honestly because I feel like the answer is yes but I don't know what makes a good door maze. I always get impatient with puzzles though so I'm not a good judge.

This question applies to mazes in general. They don't have to be related to going in and out of doors.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

buckets are fun, so of course I'd remember
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

There are no animals in the palace this is not canon!!!!1

Only related to the video, but today is the birthday of ZUN, creator of Touhou. Without him, the concept of this game would technically not exist.

Put on a party hat and be fat.

LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

A few days ago we saw my favourite Touhou character, and now we're exploring the house of my third favourite Touhou character, Satori! Too bad she doesn't seem to be home. Anyway, although the path through here is pretty simple, finding that path can be tricky; it took me more than a few attempts just to scout out this place. The red herrings certainly don't help; at one point I thought I knew where the exit was, so I got as many red stars as I could, but then it turned out I had been fooled. Eventually I did find the exit, and then I took a few more runs to get all the red stars. I already knew where they all were, but I kept making mistakes here and there until I decided to not try to get them all at once.

Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Re: New Super Marisa Land - House of Madness and Rodents

Post by Kilgamayan »

Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: New Super Marisa Land - A Volcano Approaches

Post by Kilgamayan »

The thing you were toting around is Utsuho's "third leg"/control rod. It's an extremely satisfying little gimmick even if it causes no end of aggravation when star collecting.

Upon double-checking back to the first time you went through the secret exit, it looks like your end-of-video guess was right: you blasted most of the row of powerup blocks with the control rod. The red star is never even visible; it must have popped out and gone to the right immediately, and with all the exploring/dawdling you were doing, it had moved well beyond the goal balloon by the time you got there. Pretty unfortunate. :(

(I think I would have gone chasing after the cloud of stars as soon as I saw it just to triple-check that there isn't a red star hidden among them, but I haven't spent literal decades being whittled down by Super Mario World into not caring about a platforming game's commonly-collectable currency.)

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago The thing you were toting around is Utsuho's "third leg"/control rod.
Ah, my favourite.

Since I know what this game does to Touhou bosses, I dread what they're gonna do to my girl. Now's a good time to re-watch Subterranean Stars and just mentally replace the next boss fight with that:

LunarRainbowShyGuy

The item in the second stage here is pretty fun, even if these pesky blue mushrooms don't want you using it. I feel like I got pretty lucky when I played this stage. The first time I beat it I got hit by one of the blue mushrooms but managed to reveal a carrot from the powerup block part way through the raft ride. By the time I managed to actually get it though the raft was long gone, but I feel like that might have been a good thing; I didn't have to worry about keeping up with it anymore, so I could just take my time and focus on getting through without it, which fortunately is possible.

Red stars in blocks can really go rocketing off sometimes, and I've had some problems with them flying into pits, but what happened here is even worse. At least if you see it fall into a pit you know where to look next time, but here it wasn't even visible, unless you count a single reddish pixel that was only visible for one frame. It's unfortunate that it caused raocow to go on a bit of a wild goose chase, but at least it happened in a relatively straightforward level and not some maze like level like the one in yesterday's video.

Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: New Super Marisa Land - There is a Sky Under My Pond

Post by Kilgamayan »

Tenshi a cute

A CUTE

I don't remember if it's ever explicitly stated in canon, but at the very least, plenty of fanon interpretations of Utsuho allow her to transform into a flat-out bird (much like how Rin changes from a cat form to a humanoid form over the course of SA). I mean, sure, the form the game went with is rather silly, but fanon Utsuho in general is a really silly character when she's not portrayed as a homicidal maniac. (In writing this out I realized that she's basically Flandre 2.0 in that, as far as the fanbase is concerned, she is either The Destroyer of Worlds or the cuddliest, most innocent creature ever, with absolutely no in-between.)

Also I will now officially call Shame for forgetting Youmu's name because you somehow remembered that the Moriya Shrine specifically has an important pond.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
LunarRainbowShyGuy

This boss stage caused me a good deal of trouble. I actually made it through with all the red stars in hand relatively quickly, but then I died to the boss and had a hard time replicating my performance for some reason. Now that I'm watching raocow I realize that I could have made things easier by not trying to get all the red stars in one go, but at the time I was too caught up thinking "I did this once, I should be able to do it again".

This extra stage also caused me a lot of trouble, mostly because of the springboard at the end, though the rest of the stage isn't exactly a walk in the park. Time and time again I would make it to the springboard and just barely not jump high enough and fall in the lava.

Anyway, after those two troublesome stages it's nice to have a stage with my favourite song in the game. There's also a new powerup here; Tenshi's a character I really like, so it's nice to see a powerup based on her. It's also interesting having a powerup that lets you create your own platforms; I can't say I've seen much like this elsewhere.

moogy

Post by moogy »

I've always been a fan of Tenshi's color scheme, in particular, so I'm glad Marisa gets to partake(?) in it here.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago I mean, sure, the form the game went with is rather silly, but fanon Utsuho in general is a really silly character when she's not portrayed as a homicidal maniac. (In writing this out I realized that she's basically Flandre 2.0 in that, as far as the fanbase is concerned, she is either The Destroyer of Worlds or the cuddliest, most innocent creature ever, with absolutely no in-between.)
i like to believe she is lv99 bimbo and just likes to blow shit up for no reason because it's Cool and Epic and Explosions 8-)

koishi is kind of the same way you described when it comes to fandom meanwhile i just see her as a bimbo too but in a deedee from dexter's lab sort of way

satori is just eeyore, yuugi is bara mom who does 50 backflips and flexes a lot and poses and beats people up (her sake not even drop), kisume and yamame are basically That Kid x2, parsee is salty and petty over everything, and rin is the only stable one of the underground group
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Yamame-chan☆ is everyone's favorite underground superstar idol tyvm

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago i like to believe she is lv99 bimbo and just likes to blow shit up for no reason because it's Cool and Epic and Explosions 8-)
ImageImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Here's world 5 maps for record-keeping:

Very linear design compared to other worlds.
Tenshi is actually a character that I didn't know when I played this game and only learned about later when playing Scarlet Weather Rhapsody. I wasn't aware of what this form was, but it looked colorful and cool.

It's possible to get all the red stars in 6-1 in one go, but it's quite difficult to pull it off within the time limit. You actually need to find the lower row of stars first by exploring the normal exit side (right side), and then come back to the fork and go to the secret exit side (left side) to collect the upper row of stars. The 5th star is past the point where you can't turn back.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: New Super Marisa Land - Mad Mountain Maze Mayhem With Miss Miko Marisa

Post by Kilgamayan »

It's a shame you didn't try to re-explore the upper regions of the very first screen of the water level when you came back with Tenshi - there's a hidden 1UP up there.

There are also a fair number of hidden powerups and 1UPs throughout the pond - mostly Suwako hats, but there is one spot with a peach, which is presumably how you're intended to get all 10 stars in a single pass through the stage. They are all denoted by suspicious star formations, most if not all of which you completely ignored on your first few passes through the stage for some reason. :V

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
LunarRainbowShyGuy

This water level gave me a lot of trouble when I played it. Fortunately the Suwako hat lets you move a lot faster in water. Also fortunate is that I found one that can be gotten near the beginning if you already have a powerup, so I could just go to the nearest shop to restock instead of walking all the way back to world 3 every time I died (which happened more than a few times, because I just couldn't find the way to the end of the level).

ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago It's a shame you didn't try to re-explore the upper regions of the very first screen of the water level when you came back with Tenshi - there's a hidden 1UP up there.
Yeah but those hidden blocks are scattered throughout the game. It can be fun to look out for suspicious spots where these blocks are tucked away, but it's not feasible to find them all. Most of these are minor anyway.

The only significant secret area that I know of, aside from secret exits, is in 6-2. It's optional, but you can get some lives.

With rabbit ears, you hover to the right, below the hidden passage where you find the last red star. It's quite a distance, so it takes good timing to float correctly to make it there.

There are three lives here, and a P-switch that creates blocks to allows you to return to that passage and some stars along the way.

Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: New Super Marisa Land - Heaven is a Very Sky Place Dangerous

Post by Kilgamayan »

Those Pokey Towers are cute. There should be a way to do that in SMW.

(If there already is, people should do it more.)

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago Those Pokey Towers are cute. There should be a way to do that in SMW.

(If there already is, people should do it more.)
What, like stacked enemies? There is but it's pretty hard to program. d^4 managed to make one that supports up to 8 sprites, Von Fahrenheit managed to make a limitless goomba stack for his team's hack (so it's private, possibly just for the time being?) and Darolac managed to make a hard-coded goomba stack sprite that can only carry four and the stack itself is one sprite.

I assume it wouldn't be too impossible, probably just studying how the Pokey sprite works considering that has variable height depending on whether you have Yoshi or not and how much segments you've eaten, as well as how each segment seems to be a sort of "subsprite". I haven't studied Pokey yet so don't quote me on this

If I ever get anyone on here interested in ASM hacking feel free to ask me... Almost anything. ^^; I'm bad at explaining and I'm sort of not the absolute expert at SMW hacking or SNES programming.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
moogy

Post by moogy »

the kedama pokeys are horrifying and I wish to see no more of them
LunarRainbowShyGuy

This level with the wind gave me a lot of trouble when it came to finding the red stars. Especially that floating island in the middle of nowhere that raocow found on his first try (this feels like it just keeps happening with this game).

The next level here introduces these pokey enemies, which are pretty alright. I don't know why this sticks out to me so much, but one thing I like about this level is that all the red stars come in pairs. I just think it's kind of neat.

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

i wish i was marisa
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.