(shouting)

Super SIG World 38 - Sleep In....Goodness

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
gbreeze

Re: Super SIG World 38 - Surprisingly, Isn't Garbage

Post by gbreeze »

I recommend watching this video of SIG world 36, city world. It has some pretty neat ideas, and is also quite challenging and unique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ombV4xYMCmk

Judging 38 hacks based on the first 2 worlds of 1 of the hacks isn't cool. Don't do that
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

humanity is bad and awful, got it
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Arctangent wrote: 4 years ago humanity is bad and awful, got it
this is a reach
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

i don't see how calling a fundamental part of human psychology uncool is not calling humanity bad. in fact, that seems like a straight line

"don't judge a book by its cover" is such a bullshit idiom, but it's even more bullshit when applied to most video games. if a book or show or whatever has an incredibly weak start that doesn't really matter, well that raises the question of why that start was even included if all it does is drive away people who could potentially enjoy it, but at least you can skip those weak parts. with almost every video game? better hope you have some way to cheat that isn't an incredible pain to pull off if you want to cut through the chaff

like, good on ya if you loved ffxiii, but that doesn't change the fact that its pacing was just so, so incredibly awful
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

quick question: what is your damage

why is this hack pissing you off this badly
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

[man blinking reaction gif]
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago quick question: what is your damage

why is this hack pissing you off this badly
anger is the only motivation you understand, huh
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

I think Arctangent's point of view/explanation is fair. What we see here the 38th game. What we don't see here are the previous 37 entries.

The Super SIG World series is known for not presenting strong ideas. Of course the guy got better at it as time went on. And of course not every hack has to have strong ideas all the time. But shouldn't every game have at least one or two standout moments? Something to shake up and refresh a palate? Like, Super SIG World 38 -looks- alright on its own, but imagine someone who's seen or played the whole series of 37 games that precedes it. Imagine how boring it would be to see or play this game when all of them are starting to meld together, and -- hey, wasn't this exact level taken directly from a previous entry?

And that's just accounting for the series on its own. For someone who's played or seen thousands of other similar romhacks (and not just a curated selection like raocow) I imagine the problem could be so much worse.

If someone can fairly criticize NSMBU for being creatively bankrupt, I think someone can fairly criticize this game for similar reasons.
video games
Leet

Post by Leet »

I mean, I agree with you, but I think their point of view on sig itself is not really the issue here
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

The only solution is an All The SIGs
ImageImage
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I can't see why we need to shit on this guy for having a hobby. Let's just sit back and enjoy raocow saying the same things he has said over the course of thousands of surpassingly mediocre let's play episodes, the content of much of which must be virtually indistinguishable to a casual viewer.

Speaking of people never learning anything despite going over the same ground for many years, the first hack to spawn things from the left was, to the best of my belief, Super Mario World by Nintendo, which spawns certain line-guided sprites from the left. Occasionally you see a level making use of this: https://youtu.be/RwZG5Zyadbg?t=599.
dont wanna jihad no more
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

morsel/morceau wrote: 4 years ago I can't see why we need to shit on this guy for having a hobby. Let's just sit back and enjoy raocow saying the same things he has said over the course of thousands of surpassingly mediocre let's play episodes, the content of much of which must be virtually indistinguishable to a casual viewer.
thank you bird jesus

We can do a lot more productive things than shitting on a person's romhack just because its average. It's stuff like that that drives people away from hacking.
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

well yeah I know about lineguides but I meant more like in an autoscroll, you know, like in the context I was talking
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Well this thread has certainly gotten aggressive. Personally, if I'm not enjoying a particular LP I stop watching. I watched two videos of SIG world, found it boring, and stopped watching. I also quit Hat in Time about 20 videos in and I've watched about half of the Sonic games. I get the feeling that some of you think you need to keep up with raocow and watch everything he puts out. You really don't.

As for my thoughts on Super Sig World, well, it's competently made, but lacking in creativity. That's not my thing; I'd rather watch something like slurdgery. But hey, if this guy wants to make 100 generic rom hacks, well, more power to him. Anyway, I'll be back for Marisa.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

The Doctor wrote: 4 years ago I get the feeling that some of you think you need to keep up with raocow and watch everything he puts out. You really don't.
that's kinda something i find weird about raocow's fanbase. i personally only watch things that interest me (mario, some sonic etc)

a hat in time has episodes that just go on forever so i don't bother watching it
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago
The Doctor wrote: 4 years ago I get the feeling that some of you think you need to keep up with raocow and watch everything he puts out. You really don't.
that's kinda something i find weird about raocow's fanbase. i personally only watch things that interest me (mario, some sonic etc)
It's very, very rare for me to skip or drop a raocow LP, because it's habit for me - A and C at lunchtime, B before bed. I enjoy seeing a whole series through, even if it's a less engaging title I always find raocow's commentary entertaining - and I enjoy the full ups and downs, so even when a title goes totally sideways or obscenely over-the-top or remains dull, I enjoy the corresponding confusion, anger, and full-auto-rambling. As a result I do leave comments poking at the games in a "wow, why on earth was it made this way?" sense, and it's never a criticism of the LP or the playing of it, it's legitimate criticism of some of the titles that get played - hell, the Hyper VI LP was brilliant in part because of how snarky both raocow and the community got around Haimari's level design foibles.
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

*ahem*

I think the fact that this game is what it is, is very worth discussing. People voicing their likes or dislikes towards this game is vital as it provides a means to explain a division. There are a lot of would-be future game developers and/or people interested in game design in this community. That includes me! And since game design is fundamentally based on how people experience games in a large sample pool, seeing people summarizing their experience with playing or seeing a game being played is vital feedback, even if it's just "I think this is neat" or "I think it's boring".

We can even provide explanations as to why some people would think something is neat or something is boring by piecing together the game, its context, and the context of people experiencing it. And to me it is very useful.
video games
gbreeze

Re: Super SIG World 38 - So It Goes

Post by gbreeze »

[Insert surprised pikachu]

I'm sorry my post was harsh, it ended up being more harsh than it sounded in my head. I just wanted to show that there are some interesting things that SIG does. The idea that all 2,000+ of the levels he's made are the exact same is just not a good conclusion to make, as of yet, because there's no evidence of that from this lp alone.

But I do agree that first impressions can be powerful for a game. If a game starts out boring and lots of people lose interest, well, that's the game's fault for starting out so boring. In fact, I don't have a problem with people opting out of this lp or stating that the hack seems boring to them. But we should not yet dismiss all 38 works of the author as lacking any inspiration when we may have just not encountered the levels with inspiration yet.

To address what Mandew posted, I mean, you're right. This hack is not the most exciting. There's countless other Japanese hacks that I prefer over the SIG's. But this isn't about that. This is about showing a little respect to the hobby of hacking, and to SIG the real human person who could very well stumble upon this thread, translate it, and I think we all know that's it would not exactly put him in a good mood.

I think that everyone has the right to create whatever hack they want, as long as it's not truly causing harm to people (i.e. the recently rejected kaizo hack with obscene material). That doesn't mean hacks are free from criticism. But it means we ought to respect each other as hobbyists and creators. We can criticize with class, we can declare that a hack "isn't our thing" and be done with it. I personally think that about half the hacks on SMWC are just outright bad. But do I comment on every single one, stating how garbage it is and how the hacker should feel ashamed? No. As a community, hackers should try to support each other, regardless of our differences, cause anyone in this biz knows its a dang hard hobby to do. I'm not seeking to surpress valid complaints about this hack, but maybe we ought to put things into perspective.

Edit: (fake) ninja'd by mandew :O I agree with your post btw. I enjoy drilling down into hacks and thinking about what makes them feel the way they feel. And criticism is the fastest pathway to growth, that is, when it truly has the best interest of the hacker in mind.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago

a hat in time has episodes that just go on forever so i don't bother watching it
Yeah, it's weird. I actually like A Hat In Time videos, but I've dropped out for games before (Crash Bandicoot, Henry Hatsworth, Dumb: A Furry Tail, etc.), and it's no skin off my back.

Honestly, I have no beefs with this hack. It's fine. I understand why people might be meh about the vanilla nature of the game, but I don't see that as a serious issue. It works, and that's fine. A lot of chocolate hacks (the most recent one played by raocow being a good example), while creative, also don't work, and then raocow gets angry and impatient and various other things. I'd rather watch a vanilla hack that's simple than some chocolate ideas that fail on execution.

Also, I acknowledge this sounds hypocritical to some due to recent incidents, but could we step back a moment and maybe think about what we're saying here? A lot of anger being thrown around here for really no reason

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Explaining my thoughts: it's not the fault of this hack that talkhaus community has seen over the years like a hundred hacks + compilations of contest entries. SIG is not to blame if hack feels more of the same on that front.

What is on the creator is when there's this many hacks of the same series from the author, a bunch made in a rapid succession and seemingly doing the same basic things the whole time. I can't help but ask, "Is this what you really want to do with your life?" Now, if those 38 hacks are consistently of good quality (like what Nintendo does with Mario games), or you can see the effort trying to be, good for SIG. I just don't think that's quite the case.

The main thing that disappoints me is the misleading labels. An edit of an older hack with some improvements to the same levels should be presented as a new version of the same hack, or maybe a redux edition, not a full sequel that returning players are expected to play anew. And the compilation of "my best levels" seems... self-serving. It's like, "These are my picks of my past hacks that you loved, go play them again." I realize though that this is reading SIG's intent in a bad light but it's just the general impression I get from the information presented in the first page of this thread.

I do agree that we should show a degree of deference so that people who aren't watching the series are respectful enough of the space of those that are.

And with that back to the hack, which I may watch here and there.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago I can't help but ask, "Is this what you really want to do with your life?"
i dont want to sound angry but if someone wants to just make average hacks just let them

sometimes people just wanna make mario levels
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Drei Drei Desert
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Arctangent wrote: 4 years agoand, even with all that said, i feel like the main reason people are so "eh" about this is that ... this is sig world 38. there are 37 sig worlds that are presumably the exact same deal, but worse. it's just kinda stunning, and also basically just on its own writes jokes like "well no wonder all these levels are basically filler." if this was just some random hack not attached to a series, or was just like #2 in a series, the reception would probably be exactly identical but with far less people commenting on it
Why are people so hung up about the amount though? We've only seen this one romhack and it seems only a few people here have played any of the others at all. Seems kinda pointless to judge it purely on the number of other romhacks the author has made.
ano0maly wrote: 4 years agoWhat is on the creator is when there's this many hacks of the same series from the author, a bunch made in a rapid succession and seemingly doing the same basic things the whole time. I can't help but ask, "Is this what you really want to do with your life?" Now, if those 38 hacks are consistently of good quality (like what Nintendo does with Mario games), or you can see the effort trying to be, good for SIG. I just don't think that's quite the case.
We really can't come to this conclusion on one single hack though which is what most people here appear to be doing. This could be SIG's worst hack in the series, in which case it paints a bad picture of the series as a whole. It could also be the best in the series which means the series as a whole is bad. Or it could just be in the middle of the pack in which case it's nothing special but also not particularly offensive either.

Personally I think raocow should pick a couple other entries in the series at random and play them at some point so we have a wider variety of entries to judge it on. This is the only one in the series I've seen so for now it's the one I'm going to judge it on. And what I've seen so far may not be the best but I think it's just fine too. I think it's pretty much on par with SMW's level design which may not have been perfect but was absolutely fine and at times good.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago Why are people so hung up about the amount though?
it's six more than the number of madden games out there

let that sink in
Leet

Post by Leet »

so monarchy is ok, got it