(shouting)

A Hat in Time Death Wish - Wishing for Peace and Tranquility

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: A Hat in Time - More Hats

Post by SAJewers »

Yeah, letting him know was probably better for the LP.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
warpio

Post by warpio »

Speaking of making the LP better, this isn't a spoiler, but just a little backseat-y request I have regarding things there are still to do/see in Mafia Town that aren't directly related to any time pieces.

I think you should talk to more of the Mafia characters in the town when you get the chance. I think you've only talked to like 1 at the beginning of the game and then assumed the rest of them are only there to be enemies and nothing else, but there's a bunch more Mafia characters who aren't immediately aggro and you can talk to them for some bits of funny flavor text before beating them up. If nothing else I'd suggest at least trying to talk to the ones that you happen to come across while going for the last few time pieces in the chapter.

warpio

Post by warpio »

Ledgem wrote: 4 years ago It doesn't help that oddyssey required waggle for some moves and I could never actually pull off the weird hat bounce no matter what I did despite everyone else in the world finding it simple....
I really think you should give that game another chance. It's WAY more fun when you make use of the full gamut of Mario's abilities. I can't imagine how boring the game must be without using the hat bounce constantly to take shortcuts and break all the intended challenges.

The hat bounce is really simple, just

hold the hat throw button to throw Cappy, ground pound, then let go of the hat throw button to dive toward Cappy. then you can do that same action again to do a 2nd dive (without the bouncing off Cappy part) to give you a bit more horizontal air time.

And if you don't want to have to worry about remembering what all the moves are, the game has a handy digital instruction manual in its pause menu for that exact reason.
jasper_

Post by jasper_ »

kurt91 wrote: 4 years ago Hey, since we've got at least one dev here, I want to ask: What made you decide against including the ability to go back and read past entries? Personally, I don't mind, but a lot of people dislike permanently-missable content.
i wasn't in charge of that one, but knowing the team, making something a small hidden thing without calling too much attention to it or polishing it up into a full menu can make it seem more like a random thing that you found, rather than something everyone was intended to find. even though pretty much everyone is going to find it given the huge beam of light telegraphing it, you can see how many people thought rao would miss it. that's not unintentional
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Re: A Hat in Time - Beanie

Post by PSI Ninja »

I would have loved to have a bedroom like that as a child.

This game is pretty generous with telling you where collectibles for missions are, the whole "attached to threads" thing and all. Not sure if raocow noticed it yet. Helped a lot for the Golden Vault in Mafia Town.

Haha, I always prioritized getting the hat flairs myself in the roulette minigame.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

badges are kind of weird because they have a small case of the tails adventures. you always want hookshot because there's constantly hookshotable things, might as well have a hookshot hat, and then you have your choice of quality of life badges for the remaining slot(s), but like, come on, are you gonna not take magnet? and then one of the future badges makes you look really cool so of course i had to waste a slot on it. so, at least my choice of badges for the whole game remained pretty dang static.
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Jafar
say yes to capes

Post by Jafar »

Yeah, the hookshot feels so integral to the gameplay, I feel like it just should've been a natural part of Hat Kid's kit. Not as a hat though, that'd just shift the issue and make the player feel less free to play around with the other hats.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

like you can't attack mid-jump anyways, pressing snes Y does nothing normally, just make it a thing you can do
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Post by AmeijinMayo »

Sometimes a jump is the best remedy for a flat part
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
warpio

Post by warpio »

The Hookshot Badge is important to have on when you're either in a new area or revisiting an area where you know that you need that ability. In any other case, it can be removed and replaced for another badge that you want to use. Fortunately this game's pause menu is very speedy and easy to navigate, and when you get the hang of it it takes like 2 seconds at most to go in and swap badges.

The Magnet Badge is definitely an obvious choice if if you're concerned with having enough pons to unlock everything without having to do any explicit "let's just explore aimlessly and gather collectibles" sessions, which I guess is understandable when the player is an LPer and has pressure to make some amount of progress on 3 different games every day lol. You should be fine for pon requirements if you just use the Brewing Hat to blow up whatever orange glowing things (and enemies) you see along the way.

BTW the grapple mechanics sure are fun to use huh... Part of the appeal of this game for me is that the movement mechanics in general are extremely smooth, and it just FEELS fun to move around as Hat Kid. Compared to SM64 romhacks, where it's fun when you're doing walljumps and such but going for the 100-coin star always just feels like a chore, this game to me never really feels boring even when I'm just casually wandering around searching for collectibles.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Yeah, that feels too generous to me.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

People seem to be confused about what the Conductor is supposed to be... I've always interpreted him as being some kind of dinosaur, which is basically just a prehistoric bird if you really think about it.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

the conductor is clearly a conductor, it's not that subtle
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I also assumed the conductor is supposed to be a dinosaur.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

he's the bird equivalent of a kapukapu
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago he's the bird equivalent of a kapukapu
Neko wa kowai!
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Re: A Hat in Time - Chef Hat

Post by Piesonscreations »

I'm somehow always surprised when raocow references a meme even though there has been no indication that he wouldn't be an internet savvy person that would actually know memes.
ImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

for some reason my brain saw this thread and today randomly decided to interpret it as henry hatsworth, and i was like, wtf, why are people posting in the henry hatsworth thread again. i am going crazy
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Hey, maybe they're related in some way.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
UFereSanyo
"UHH! That's Right, I Exist"
First name: Aarón

Re: A Hat in Time - General Generalization

Post by UFereSanyo »

:catplanet:
IDK But I'm just hoping raocow to improve a bit more his skills in the game or straight up, jump to danger because of how generous the game is.
I literally suffer anxiety attacks everytime he slows down his pace becauseof being unsure of trusting the game.
also, I kind of die inside everytime he doesn't check out a new area in it's entirety (like moving the camera around) and it surprises me because i know raocow a pretty good completionist and it makes me feel weird about it since this game is a massive collect-a-ton (massive in terms of the amount of extra stuff he can gather around all the time but just passes by).
I don't know man, Videogames exist and i hope that he starts to worry about collecting yarns a little more because of the struggle he's having all the time because of not havin a needed tool.
And to make clear, I'm enjoying the series a lot because of all the humour that matches raocow's humour understandings (and pretty general humourous circumstances that can make pretty much everyone to smile) and really hope he starts to take the "collect-a-ton" a little more seriously.
Sorry for any grammar errors and horrors that may be up there, English is my second language and i'm just 18 :^p.
ALSO :catcrime: !!!!!
:slow:
Uhh! That's right, I exist.
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that the Conductor ends up winning. What was it that somebody said? "raocow's level of skill is directly proportional to the difficulty of the challenge presented." Add that to the sheer amount of visual effects going on for DJ Grooves's stages, and I guess it makes some amount of sense.

Also, it's given me the inspiration for my diabolical plan to deduce raocow's IRL identity. I need to go to Canada with a flashy blinking light and look for the person who goes all deer-in-headlights. That should narrow things down a bit.

EDIT: For some reason, when posting this, I suddenly got to wanting raocow to LP Kingdom Hearts. I guess it was the SUBMIT button that did it.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

kurt91 wrote: 4 years ago EDIT: For some reason, when posting this, I suddenly got to wanting raocow to LP Kingdom Hearts. I guess it was the SUBMIT button that did it.
i am pretty sure a "all the kingdom hearts" would be literally fatal to me

i'd still watch it tho
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

kurt91 wrote: 4 years ago EDIT: For some reason, when posting this, I suddenly got to wanting raocow to LP Kingdom Hearts. I guess it was the SUBMIT button that did it.
I want to hear him firemanning that X button and getting very confused by the maelstrom of particle effects and twisting camerawork

and then I remember KH1 had fights like Cerberus and I despair at the thought

"greasy" movement like KH where you can never tell where an animation will end or where your character will end up is not a good fit for raocow
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

Honestly I'm pretty firmly on the conductor's side, personally I just didn't think the penguin's levels were very good.

This world in generally really is why I liked Yooka Laylee more. That game has its issues too but I liked every world in it, whereas I didn't really like the bird studios world as a whole.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

i let dj grooves win, predominantly because he was not endangering civilian's lives in every single one of his movies, but also because i got the feeling it was not a particularly popular choice.
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)